Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's nothing like an Econometrics Assignment to make me feel like a complete idiot

• 11-01-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

I can't even fully understand the question nevermind answer it.

What makes you feel like a gigantic stupid ****?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Google it, paste and copy. A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

??????????????????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

A = β0 + β1Copy + β2Paste + ε.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Procrastinate until Wednesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i like televisions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Intelligent people make me feel stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

Google, copy and paste is not something you can easily do in Econometrics I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Everything and Anything.

To add to the stupid idiot feeling I have 'My Lovely Horse' running through my field....i mean head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Opics wrote: »
    Google, copy and paste is not something you can easily do in Econometrics I'm afraid.

Just copy & paste any oul shite. No-one will notice. It's not even a real subject - just one of those things that someone made up years ago as a laugh, but everyone thought he was serious, so they played along with it in case they were seen by their piers as a bit dumb and no-one's been brave enough to say so ever since.

Econometrics.. meh. It's no more real that synchronized swimming.

• Advertisement

Domo230 wrote: »
    Im thinking of studying economics when I get the money.

What do you think of it?
    I've heard econometrics is a tough one.

Yeah it's an interesting course to do (especially at the moment), but econometrics is a load of dog****e!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Econometrics shouldn't be difficult if you've done Honours maths and passed.

Put the question up on the economics forum there,if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The fact i googled "Econometrics" should answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Practically anything to do with numbers, I think I was born without that part of my brain..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Maybe if you posted the question AH will give you an answer to it.

Larianne wrote: »
    Maybe if you posted the question AH will give you an answer to it.

Alright so.

Cobb-Douglas Production Function question:

skipping forward...

Equation changed to:

ln(Yt ) = lnA + *alpha*ln(Lt ) + *Beta*ln(Kt ) +*another greek symbol*ln(Mt ) + *theta*t+ εt

where Y is private domestic product output, K is capital services, L is labour services, M is real money, t is the time trend and ε is an error term.

After using STATA get:

ln(Y) = -1.9174 + 0.8186ln(L) + 0.3121ln(K) + 0.2451ln(M) + 0.0086t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

A = β0 + β1Copy + β2Paste + ε.

This is a completely fallacious argument OP. Star has roped in young interns before with his wily ways. On the bright side, though, I've heard he makes a magnificent stew, and doesn't stint on the portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Alright so.

skipping forward...

Equation changed to:

ln(Yt ) = lnA + *alpha*ln(Lt ) + *Beta*ln(Kt ) +*another greek symbol*ln(Mt ) + *theta*t+ εt

where Y is private domestic product output, K is capital services, L is labour services, M is real money, t is the time trend and ε is an error term.

After using STATA get:

Where we, the class, are stuck:

What is the trend and what the hell do you do with it? I was informed by one of the more intelligent people in the module that it's a dummy variable, but I have my doubts.

:)

Is it not a trend 'in terms' of something?
    If not, perhaps vary t and see the correlation between t and the result for some fixed L,K,M?

Could you post the actual question?

edit: I see it does say time trend. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yes;maybe post how far you've gotten in it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

http://forums.eviews.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1609

This thread would suggest, given that your t coefficient is tiny, that time has practically no bearing on the rest of the equation.

• Advertisement

Alright so.

skipping forward...

Equation changed to:

After using STATA get:

Where we, the class, are stuck:

What is the trend and what the hell do you do with it? I was informed by one of the more intelligent people in the module that it's a dummy variable, but I have my doubts.

:)

Theta is my favourite Greek letter. Do any other AHer's have a favourite Greek letter? Please PM me, clearly marking your PM," Why this is my favourite Greek letter"

Choco

later10 wrote: »
    Yes;maybe post how far you've gotten in it as well.

Oh everything else is grand and it's all done, its just that somebody is saying my interpretation of time trend is wrong so I'm doubting myself now.

I'm not sure if I'm even typing sense at this stage of the night :pac:

Oh everything else is grand and it's all done, its just that somebody is saying my interpretation of time trend is wrong so I'm doubting myself now.

I'm not sure if I'm even typing sense at this stage of the night :pac:

In most other scientific fields, the advice would be to stop typing. In economics,however, the advice is to type faster. And drink faster, you're falling behind.

At the end of the day, what's the worst that can happen? You get so lost in your own stupidity and hubris that you get a curve named after you.

Winner alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I can't even fully understand the question nevermind answer it. It's due Thursday morning too to make matters worse.

What makes you feel like a gigantic stupid ****?
    seriously boards, swear it makes me feel like a retard. In real life people think I'm supersmart and have the power to change the world..here I'm just a dumbas.s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I have just read "Freakonomics" and now I'm an expert on this sort of stuff. I can tell you the answer to your question is 2......yep just 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Senna wrote: »
    The fact i googled "Econometrics" should answer your question.

I didnt even bother googling it I just swapped it for economics in my head to make the thread easier to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't stress OP, sure even the famous talking heads like Jim Power was shown up as a fool with his "soft landing" predication

Marc Coleman is Economics Editor with Newstalk and in 2007 released a book called The Best is yet to come :D

And these are the best minds in the country??? :rolleyes:

A monkey would know more so how hard can your course possibly be

I don't know what Econometrics but it looks like Economics so close enough

MungBean wrote: »
    I didnt even bother googling it I just swapped it for economics in my head to make the thread easier to understand.

yeah, but Senna scores loads more at scrabble.

Advertisement