Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you hand it back?

• 11-01-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

Lost my wallet in a Knightsbridge bar last week with cash,credit cards,driving licence etc in it and never seen it again,I did ask the next day but no sign of it..

So just wondered if you found a purse,wallet with the persons name and address clearly enclosed in it ..would you be honest and contact them or keep any cash and feck the rest away?

Me ..if it was just cash i found and nothing else then its fair game,but if the owners name is there i would hand it back without a doubt..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I would hold it for ransom. Every day that I didn't get the ransom, I would chop off part of a credit card & send it to the owner in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

Definately. I just know my conscience would gnaw at me if I didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yeah I would, I have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The tone of AH is so downtrodden lately, I expected this thread to be about Ireland and the British!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

next time something bad happened to me I'd blame my not handing the wallet....karma yaknow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I would hand it back, minus the cash of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Money: Finders keepers kinda thing.
    Wallet with details: Id have to hand it in.
    Wallet with out details: take the money and pbin the wallet, Unles it was real leather!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Yes for fear that if I didn't do it then I'd be catapulted into an Irish spin-off of My Name Is Earl and I'd eventually have to pay you back somehow, better to just get it over with by giving it straight back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'd take cash and think no more of it but if there was a name and face to go with it I'd do the right thing and get their stuff back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Opics

I would hand it back because I am a decent member of society that was raised well by my parents :)

minus the cash, of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I would hand it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

Totally would- had my wallet stolen out of my bag- came back to me, bar the cash. Was so happy, even though I had already cancelled all the cards and replaced everything else!

Hope you find your wallet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I can never understand people going out on the tear and bringing their wallets or their purses with almost their life in it.

When I am going out I bring cash only and more then enough to get me through the night, \i think that is sensible.

Opics wrote: »
    I would hand it back because I am a decent member of society that was raised well by my parents :)

You wouldn't steal a wallet, but I've seen your post history & I really don't know how can you live with the shame...
    Opics wrote: »
    I have been living in a rented house since September 1st and we don't have a tv license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Id make a thong out of the wallet, eat the cash and use the credit cards to get photos developed to send back to you. Mmmm

I read in a Finnair inflight mag about 10 years ago that as an experiment they dropped 10 wallets (cash,cards, ID) in Helsinki and monitored what was returned. All of it apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Knightsbridge eh?

Russian oligarchs, Ukranian hookers and playboy Sheikhs.

Pure class.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I would post it back to the rightful owner, minus the money for postage tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Money on the ground - finders keepers.

Money in a wallet with someone's name etc in it - nope. I'd try returning it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

You wouldn't steal a wallet, but I've seen your post history & I really don't know how can you live with the shame...
    You've way too much time on you're hands, is it because all of your unpaid interns are doing all of the work for you? No wonder you can afford to drive an Astra. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Definitely, because somebody did it for me once.

I got supa pissed at a lock in, headed to Zatoon's for a Kebab and left my bag
    at the taxi rank on Dame street where i sat down to eat my kebab. Didn't even
    realize it was missing until about 3pm the next day when i went looking for it.

Got a call from the Gards a week later saying i could collect it from Rathmines
    Garda station. Was dead chuffed to get the bag back with all my college notes
    in it and they were even good enough to leave my wireless headphones.
    Wallet however was gone but i didn't mind that there was no cash in it and i
    had already cancelled all my cards.

Cops must have gone to the trouble of calling the college as my name and
    course code was on one of the books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

If it was an Irish persons wallet, then of course I'd give it back. If it was a British person, I'd burn it with the money inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I always do. I find a lot of others peoples stuff in my line of work, usually wads of cash that they carelessly leave around and always put it somewhere safe for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

knightsbridge as in the arlo?

it was gone before it even hit the floor sunshine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

knightsbridge as in the arlo?

it was gone before it even hit the floor sunshine

Yep,kinda thought that myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Got a call from the Gards a week later saying i could collect it from Rathmines
    Garda station. Was dead chuffed to get the bag back with all my college notes in it .

p.s. your college notes aint worth stealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Me ..if it was just cash i found and nothing else then its fair game,but if the owners name is there i would hand it back without a doubt..

If there was an address with the wallet I would just call the person and give it to them. I would hate to have lost my wallet with driving licence and everything else including money that i hardly have so I would give it back no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Don't lose all hope. I found a wallet a couple of weeks back with a name and address but no phone number. Wasn't bothered calling out to the house but put it in the post and sent it to the address..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

D1stant wrote: »
    p.s. your college notes aint worth stealing

Courier bag and wireless headphones worth €150 were though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

If it was an Irish persons wallet, then of course I'd give it back. If it was a British person, I'd burn it with the money inside

tumblr_lvmq6qUVkX1qjmon9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I've found three wallets in the last ten years all containing many credit cards and plenty of cash ,I've returned all of them to the Gardai, (I can only imagine the anxiety it causes a person who loses their wallet) the last one I found was in December a couple of days before Christmas, fingers crossed for a reward :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

My wallet was stolen not so long ago, got it back missing everything except student cards and that. Low class of criminals these days, decided to discard my 300e wallet but instead take a 5 year old condom (good reason for it being that old!). Good job mr thief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I found a wallet on the ground, while waiting for a taxi one night.. opened it.. no money just a few cards, ID bank etc.. decided Id go to guards next day, handed it to a guard in the city centre who looked at me and questioned me as if Id taken the money, someone found mine about 6 months before handed it in money and everything..

RickRoll wrote: »
    You've way too much time on you're hands, is it because all of your unpaid interns are doing all of the work for you? No wonder you can afford to drive an Astra. :pac:

Someone's gotta pay my petrol bill - a 2 litre twin turbo is expensive to run you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Lost my wallet in a Knightsbridge bar last week with cash,credit cards,driving licence etc in it and never seen it again,I did ask the next day but no sign of it..

So just wondered if you found a purse,wallet with the persons name and address clearly enclosed in it ..would you be honest and contact them or keep any cash and feck the rest away?

Yes, I would hand it back.
    If only for fearing Karma - but in the end, it would be the right thing to do - it might be me some day losing one and I'd hope others would do similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Would you hand it back?

Aww I thought this thread was going to be about having a ginger kid or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Temporary Dub

Yes have done before and would do again.

Got a card delivered to the house for a previous tenant lately, was going to f*ck it in the bin when I thought sure I may open it in case it's something important. 50 big ones staring back at me. Spent it that night but I did find the rightful owner on facebook and tell them they got post that they might want and to contact me....

They never got back to me, so next payday 50 big ones going to some homeless guy on the street, bad karma to keep it I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I have thought about what i would do if i found a wallet like this and I still don't know for sure. I think it would depend onthe ammount of cash in the wallet.

The reason ive thought about this is that a few years ago a Polish girl i work with on the way to work early one Monday morning found a wallet near her bus stop. It had the guys name and cards and wait for it ... €2,500 in cash.

She got in touch with him and gave it all back to him.

I have to admit if i found that much in cash im not sure i would return it.

I mean who goes out on a sunday night with that kind of cash in their wallet??

I probably would have told myself that he was probably a drug dealer and im doing the community a favour by keeping his money for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

The worst thing would be if you found a wallet, put in a big effort and brought it back to the rightful person with cash and cards etc and the person who lost it turns out to be a total pr*ck.

Happened to one my mates before, brought it back and the guy basically closed the door in his face. Imagine! I'd have shat on his doorstep before beating his family members with my ding-a-ling.

Of course, there are cases where the person who gets it back is genuinely ecstatic to get it back, and may even share some of the cash with you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Have done it the past.

Once I had to chase a guy to hand him back money that he'd dropped. He saw me trotting up to him (had to catch up) and calling to him and for some reason he turned and ran. I chased after him, now we have a full scale chase down a city street. He reaches the front door of his house, but I catch up before he can get the door open. He asks me what I want, to which I respond by handing him the £50 note that he dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

OP here I had over €500 in my wallet,but don't expect to see it again ...

Anyhows maybe its karma coming back to me, a couple of years ago i was walking into a pub and stuck to the wet ground outside,there was four fifty euro notes stuck to the ground,as i was picking them up a little old lady comes running across the road waving and shouting at me.....

"Excuse me...excuse me son...you dropped another one..." she shouts

I took it off her and said "Thanks love your very honest!!"...and skipped into the pub a very happy boy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Gandalph wrote: »
    My wallet was stolen not so long ago, got it back missing everything except student cards and that. Low class of criminals these days, decided to discard my 300e wallet but instead take a 5 year old condom (good reason for it being that old!). Good job mr thief!

Lost my wallet in fitzsimons, temple bar a few years back(left it on the bar i think) Went back the next day and got it back minus the money, a lotto ticket with 30 odd quid on it, and a years old "lucky" condom! What's with people taking clearly unuseable johnnies!!
    Also what kind of wallet costs €300??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I saw a woman drop her purse in the high street this morning, so I quickly followed her. As I was just about to tap her on the shoulder she started running for a bus. So I ran after her shouting, "You dropped your purse! You dropped your purse!"

She didn't hear me and proceeded to get onto the bus, so I got on the bus too. As I walked to the back of the bus I breathlessly said, "You dropped your purse on the floor outside McDonald's."

"Thank you so much" she said, "Where is it?"

I said, "I've just told you, on the floor outside McDonald's."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Hand it back...you get no luck from it otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

yep id hand it back. I even handed a roll of cash i found in college in once (few hundred quid at a time when i was on a postgrad grant of 2k per annum!), left it with security who said if it wasnt claimed in a week I could have it.
    Day before I could have claimed it, it was claimed; lecturer phoned me to say thanks, awkward pause as I waited for him to add 'and your reward is....', but he didnt :(

Still waiting for karma to pay me back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

nix84 wrote: »
    Definately. I just know my conscience would gnaw at me if I didn't.
    This. I lost my wallet a little while ago, someone handed it into my school for me. I'd do that fir someone else, or hand it to the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Lost my wallet in fitzsimons, temple bar a few years back(left it on the bar i think) Went back the next day and got it back minus the money, a lotto ticket with 30 odd quid on it, and a years old "lucky" condom! What's with people taking clearly unuseable johnnies!!
    Also what kind of wallet costs €300??

Mine was lucky too! People don't understand...they are always like "Its hardly lucky if its 5 years old"...they just cant comprehend the immensity of a lucky condom.

It was an okley wallet I had bought in dubai a couple years back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I would hand the wallet in or contact the owner if their name and details were inside. I'd be a bit tempted to take the cash but I think my conscience wouldn't allow it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

In my first job at a petrol station there were countless occasions where customers left their wallets on the edge of the counter so we'd ring them to inform them and keep the wallets safe in the office until they returned to collect them.

I also handed a wallet I found on the pavement in to the Gardai a few years ago.

My purse was returned after it was stolen in a club. There was no cash left but a guy found it in a hedge and dropped it in to the Garda station. I bought him a pint to thank him for going to the trouble of getting it back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If i found a substantial amount of money (and i have done) I keep it for a few weeks and keep an eye on local papers etc and if the owner posts looking for it i will hand it back. In my case i spent it after about 6 weeks.

If it was a wallet and i could trace the owner then i'd send it back to them, i'd feel too guilty if i kept it and its actually a form of theft if you know who the owner is and fail to return it to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yeah I'd hand it in, you never know what situation that person could be in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement