Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How high will fuel go this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

NIMAN wrote: »
    That Kia Rio won't give you 88mpg. You'll be lucky to get 70mpg.

True but if you have a car that is currently quoted at 44mpg (even that is good!) by the manufacturer you have essentially cut the price of diesel to 80c per liter when comparing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Not everyone has a spare 15 thou to spend on a new car:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

rodento wrote: »
    Not everyone has a spare 15 thou to spend on a new car:rolleyes:

That's just what I was thinking. I don't really need a car right now but if I did, I would be looking at spending a few grand, tops. Buying a car that will get a massive amount of miles for a gallon of fuel is great but the prices of such vehicles are just too steep for me and many others.

Even if I had the cash, I don't think that dropping 20k on a car is a good idea . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Phil h 1

Spot on Richard all you need is something to get you from A to B unless you need to WOW the chicks as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

A scooter is the best way to economise on fuel. Okay it's not a car but if you just look at it sideways, imagine a roof and four wheels and a steering wheel...it might still look like a scooter. But I'm telling ya, they are a great option.

maninasia wrote: »
    A scooter is the best way to economise on fuel. Okay it's not a car but if you just look at it sideways, imagine a roof and four wheels and a steering wheel...it might still look like a scooter. But I'm telling ya, they are a great option.

Or how about a push bike? They don't' require any fuel and they help keep you fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

maninasia wrote: »

They're also very annoying. Not so long ago they were all the rage with teenagers. Thankfully they do something else now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

So Petrol has hit €1.70 at the Swords Rd Esso in Dublin and on the cusp in parts of Cork.

I find this astonishing - this thread is only 2 months old and yet here we are.

The govt must surely take some urgent action to reduce taxation now?

Well Dannyboy83 I think there is just not enough people getting involved with this subject. This is one of the reasons our geniuses in government think they have cart blanch and don't have to do anything until it is too late and then they quite simply say " OH !! we are sorry we made ANOTHER mistake and sure it won't happen again " . O coarse we'll forgive them after all it's not their fault !!!

• Advertisement

The austerity polices we have to put up with here is crippling people and where does it stop. A household charge !! what the hell is that ? septic tank charge why ? In the last few years they have sold off the bin collections to privet companies that seem to be able to charge what they like. The gas board who are a semi state body see fit to give a four hundred million euro contract to an English company who will take that money out of this country. They are stealing from our pensions and older people will not be able to make this money up. Fuel prices ARE putting a lot of businesses at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Phil h 1 wrote: »
    The austerity polices we have to put up with here is crippling people and where does it stop. A household charge !! what the hell is that ? septic tank charge why ? In the last few years they have sold off the bin collections to privet companies that seem to be able to charge what they like. The gas board who are a semi state body see fit to give a four hundred million euro contract to an English company who will take that money out of this country. They are stealing from our pensions and older people will not be able to make this money up. Fuel prices ARE putting a lot of businesses at risk.

I missed somthing. Can you tell me where to find out more about the board gas deal?

The gas board seen fit to award Balfour Beaty the new four hundred million euro contract and they are already looking for 76 redundancies. So where was the minister for employment and the minister energy on that day and after all the gas board are a semi state body. You can't tell me that they didn't know about this deal ?

Sorry about the rant Skafish The minister for energy's office or the Balfour Beaty wed site

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

Phil h 1 wrote: »
    Sorry about the rant Skafish The minister for energy's office or the Balfour Beaty wed site

No Problem.

I wonder if this contract was awarded due to EC regs about open tendering?
    Mind you, every other country manages to find ways to award these type of contracs to firms from their own countries; we seem to be, as usual, the only clowns to follow things to the letter:mad::mad:

Well you would think the gob****es we elected would think about the people that elected them. It would not surprise me if we find out that there was some underhanded deal done by the failing ministers with this contract. Oh by the way how do you know when a minister is lying ? The answer is When his lips are moving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

To the best of my knowledge the gas contract is a joint venture with CLG who are Irish. Besides that, Balfour Beatty are a registered company in Ireland and have been for years. They're essentially PJ Walls Civils who were bought out years ago. There aren't too many companies in Ireland with the cash and the expertise to do major projects solo these days.

Yes CLG are an Irish company who will be eaten up by Balfour Beaty in no time.There were a lot more Irish companies in for that tender who were big enough to handle this contract. The previous contract that was awarded to Enterprise also an English company and the were paid millions to buy them back out of that contract by the gas board or should I say the Irish tax payer !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

€7.20 a gallon now for diesel. Nearly 4 euro of that going to those incompetent fcukers in the dail.

I get 70mpg and I dread to think what its going to go to.

I feel sorry for people driving to work who are being priced out of a job.

I'm right beside you on that one. They are making it impossible for any small firm here to do business.Anybody who is self employed and not getting work and is struggling because they have no fall back like the dole and are paying these fuel prices just going out looking for work haven't go a chance. Especially if they are paying a mortgage there is just no help at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The petrol station at Ushers Island was re-opened yesterday with a promotional price of 99c/l, apparently caused gridlock.

They had intended to sell 10,000l, but were only able to sell about half because of the traffic snarl caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

It doesn't matter what price they put up to, I'm still only putting €20 in at a time

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It doesn't matter what price they put up to, I'm still only putting €20 in at a time

I actually find it hilarious how many people do this. The girlfriends mother asked me to have a look at her car as she was getting terrible mileage. She was going to bring it back to the garage, she felt it was that bad. She couldn't understand since she was putting 20 in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Broke through 1.70 a litre here in Goatstown this morning.

Well this country is going to come to a standstill if Kenny doesn't get off his arse and do something to bring fuel costs down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I actually find it hilarious how many people do this. The girlfriends mother asked me to have a look at her car as she was getting terrible mileage. She was going to bring it back to the garage, she felt it was that bad. She couldn't understand since she was putting 20 in.

20 euro gets you just over 2.66 (2 and 2/3) gallons of petrol.

One of my mates has an old S type jag. He gets 70 miles for 20 quid.
    Big engines are finished.

I put in 18.16 litres at a time (4 gal) 28.80 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Dubit10 wrote: »
    Broke through 1.70 a litre here in Goatstown this morning.

Also in Cork;

Maxol; North Rd; Coolaboy; €170.9; 30th Mar

I call €1.76 by end of April and €1.81 by end of May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    I call €1.76 by end of April and €1.81 by end of May

Naw, I think people are getting hot around the collar about the high prices.
    They'll pull back for a while so we'll cool off before pushing higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When a litre was costing us €1.25, we probably couldn't imagine it ever being in the high 160s, nearly 170.

So I have no doubt it will pass €2/litre at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

It's already €2/litre in parts of Italy, hovering around 1.90 mostly and also just under 1.90 in Netherlands! i think there is a big oil shock coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

the future of transportation in Ireland:

traffic-jam-in-taiwan.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

n900guy wrote: »
    i think there is a big oil shock coming!

It's already here!

As the new middle classes of India, China and Brazil develop and the demand grows for fuel so will the price. The days of cheap fuel are long gone, as they are also discovering in the States. There is only one direction for the price of fuel, expect it to be closing on €3 by the end of next year.

If the situation in the MIddle East boils over, the price will skyrocket like never seen before.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done about this, we are all players competing for resources in a global market.

Anyone expecting Enda Kennys influence on a global stage to sort out this problem certainly needs to reduce their expectations....laughable stuff.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

as they are also discovering in the States

I moved here (New Mexico, some of the cheapest fuel in the US) in Nov @ $2.95 a gallon - now $3.65 a gallon.

Before anyone chimes in with "well, you only pay less than $1 a litre" bear in mind the kind of distances in the south west. Albuquerque to the next big population centres - Phoenix or Denver is about 450-500 miles. 25-30 to the gallon is considered great gas mileage.

It's already here!

As the new middle classes of India, China and Brazil develop and the demand grows for fuel so will the price. The days of cheap fuel are long gone, as they are also discovering in the States. There is only one direction for the price of fuel, expect it to be closing on €3 by the end of next year.

If the situation in the MIddle East boils over, the price will skyrocket like never seen before.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done about this, we are all players competing for resources in a global market.

Anyone expecting Enda Kennys influence on a global stage to sort out this problem certainly needs to reduce their expectations....laughable stuff.

:pac::pac:

I agree. The good news to an oil apocalypse is that if you don't have a job, you don't need to worry because if there's no more oil, we're back to banging rocks together anyway ;)

Seriously though, it might be a good hypothetical topic for a thread. The cost of fuel doesn't seem to get alot of coverage in the general media and it might be interesting to see what people think . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

It's already here!

Agreed, if the strait of hormuz cannot be used as a viable shipping channel, then there will be very serious problems.
    To clarify 15% of the worlds oil passes through there. In the event that is it closed it would result in a lot more than a 15% rise. The rough estimate is 300$ a barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

This time next year 2 euro a litre will look cheap. I've a friend who works in the local Topaz and she claims people are buying as much fuel as ever. The oil cartel and the government are no fools and realise no matter how expensive it becomes people will still need petrol/diesel as much as when it was 80 cent a litre. Cost me 152 euro to fill the van up on Friday ouch.

People of course still need fuel. We have to get to work etc.

But you will see a huge decease in silly journeys. People will plan their shopping better, so that they don't end up nipping out to the shops 3 times in one day. Or I'll start ordering online and getting it delivered. A local supermarket has started to do this.

They won' visit their parents twice a week, it'll be twice a month.

More people will decide to car pool in work. Or use public transport if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Cheapest I can get at the moment is €1.629. Drove by a filling station in Ashbourne (the one of the Dublin side of Ashbourne beside the traffic lights) yesterday charging €1.719 :eek:
    Needless to say I drove on though there were actually people paying that price! :rolleyes:
    Can see it hitting €2 (or €1.999) by the end of the year. :(

Depending on how long it takes for oil delivered to a refinery to make it to the forecourts (I'm allowing 6-12 weeks) there's up to another 10c/l coming over the next 2-3 months. The average raw price of oil to be delivered in February was €0.5377/l, March was €0.5446/l, April €0.5883 and it's holding about there for May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I guess it all depends on whether or not we stay on the good side of oil rich countries,

• Advertisement

We need to discover oil off our coast, and keep it for ourselves!

MadsL wrote: »
    I moved here (New Mexico, some of the cheapest fuel in the US) in Nov @ $2.95 a gallon - now $3.65 a gallon.

Before anyone chimes in with "well, you only pay less than $1 a litre" bear in mind the kind of distances in the south west. Albuquerque to the next big population centres - Phoenix or Denver is about 450-500 miles. 25-30 to the gallon is considered great gas mileage.

Now $3.72...

NIMAN wrote: »
    We need to discover oil off our coast, and keep it for ourselves!

Small bit of realism required before we go off on one.

In 2010 we used an approximate total of liters of total oil based fuels
    (figures round up/down to the neared 100m liters)
    unleaded petrol 2,000m
    Auto Diesel 2,600m
    Agri & home heating 1,200m
    kerosene 1,300m
    Alumina manufacture: 200m
    Misc other oils 7,500m
    Total distilled oil usage of 14.8 billion liters.

Add 20% for extra capacity (no idea what it is/should be) - call it 18 billion total.

1 Barrel of crude = 158l.

Assuming all of the above can be extracted from a single barrel, we would need to produce approximately 113m barrels of oil on a year.

The well found by Providence is expected to yield about 3,500 barrels a day - yielding 1.277m barrels per year. We'd need over 100 such wells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Joe 90

Now $3.72...
    Are you talking US gallons or have you converted into Imperial?

Joe 90 wrote: »
    Are you talking US gallons or have you converted into Imperial?

Considering the dude is somewhere in the Southwest of the confederacy USA it's a safe bet that it's the price in fake gallons at the pumps.

A horse and card is the way forward !!! Just think about all that horse s**t for you to grow your vegetables with !!! and sure then we can all afford to pay our household charge !!!

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    Considering the dude is somewhere in the Southwest of the confederacy USA

Hey, this ain't the South, this is the Southwest. New Mexicans fell on on either side of that particular spat.

In fact, were it not for the New Mexico volunteers fighting with the Federales the Battle of Glorietta Pass (the Southwestern Gettysburgh) it would probably not have been the routing of the Confederacy troops that it turned out to be. The attack on the supply chain was led by a this dude from Albuquerque of pure Spanish descent;

ManuelAntonioChaves1.jpg

So don't mix us Burquenos up with Texans, please :P. There are times when here feels more like Andalusia than Albuquerque.

But to answer the question - yep, fake gallons. Use 0.83 as your conversion factor. But it makes a penny drop, I wondered why my wife's Subaru had such low advertised mpg - Doh! Mentally adding 20% now.

Hey, this ain't the South, this is the Southwest. New Mexicans fell on on either side of that particular spat.

I know, just having a bit of fun and tarring you all with the same brush. Was NM even part of the union at the time?

Small bit of realism required before we go off on one.

In 2010 we used an approximate total of liters of total oil based fuels
    (figures round up/down to the neared 100m liters)
    unleaded petrol 2,000m
    Auto Diesel 2,600m
    Agri & home heating 1,200m
    kerosene 1,300m
    Alumina manufacture: 200m
    Misc other oils 7,500m
    Total distilled oil usage of 14.8 billion liters.

Add 20% for extra capacity (no idea what it is/should be) - call it 18 billion total.

1 Barrel of crude = 158l.

Assuming all of the above can be extracted from a single barrel, we would need to produce approximately 113m barrels of oil on a year.

The well found by Providence is expected to yield about 3,500 barrels a day - yielding 1.277m barrels per year. We'd need over 100 such wells.

That was a lot of figures to produce to what was basically a comical remark by me.:D

But interesting nonetheless.

I know, just having a bit of fun and tarring you all with the same brush. Was NM even part of the union at the time?

Proudly celebrating just 100 years as a State as we speak!! Had to give bits of Arizona back too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Now $3.72...

:(:(:(

1997 it used to cost me $8 to fill up, $0.79 a gallon.
    Same gas station is $4.27 a gallon, some differents

• Advertisement
Advertisement