Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work

Options
  • 11-01-2012 5:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey, I am curious to know what is the success rate of Social Science Students getting into the masters in Social work. Just throughout my years in UCD I have never known of anyone to get into the course. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hey, I am curious to know what is the success rate of Social Science Students getting into the masters in Social work. Just throughout my years in UCD I have never known of anyone to get into the course. :(

Provided you meet the criteria for the Masters program you should have no difficulty I would imagine. Most people don't go on immediately to do a Masters so maybe thats why you haven't heard of people getting in. As far as I'm aware, most if not all of the Masters programs aren't a race i.e. If you meet the criteria and can pay the fee's, you should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Hi OP,

Just letting you know that I did the Masters in UCD, and I also did my degree in Social Science in UCD. Out of my degree class of 90, 25 people applied for the Masters. Out of that 7 of us got it.

The Social Work Masters entry process doesnt work like any other masters. There is an interview and very lengthy application process. They only take on 50 students a year. I know plenty of people who didn't get it. But, the course only takes on who they think will excel in it.

Its a fantastic course. I loved every minute of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why the Typeface?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 marthamartina

Triseke thats great news that u loved it, I am in the process of applying for it I have like loads of experience, but I think I will only get a 2.2 so I am just abit anxious, hense the typeface

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I interviewed for both TCD and UCD for the masters (having done the H.Dip in Soc Pol in UCD to convert my arts degree into something usable). I JUST made the top 80 shortlist for UCD but got a first round offer (which meant top 22) for TCD.

If your heart is set on Social Work, apply to all the masters in Ireland- they all have different strengths and consequently look for very different things in their students. I found the interview for UCD to be overly concentrated on what I knew about social work, and theories, as opposed to TCD, which focused far more on my experience to date, rather than my academic record.

If you are thinking of SW, make sure you have been working in a related field, or at least have some volunteering experience in some relevant kind of field. They won't look at you otherwise.

• Advertisement

I seem to be covered for experience, wow I didn't realize that with UCD, I better start reading about some theories, thanks a mill for the advice baby and crumble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Christinalit

Hi guys, I am about to graduate from social care, i also have loads of experience, but i was wondering if the 45euro application fee is 45euro per masters course you apply for or if that 45euro means that you can apply for as many masters courses as you wish??? really need to know this!

Its 45 euro for each masters you apply for, but if your applying to england its £22 and you get to choose five different masters.

thanks a million, am hoping to hear back from galway in the coming weeks about an interview for the social work masters, after ringing the college they said that they are going to start reviewing the applications next week so fingers crossed, i also applied for courses in england however if i got the course in ireland it would be far better for me on both a financial and personal level! i know that its going to be tough though, i heard that its onlyy one in ten people who even get an interview!

Hey, ye I was talking to them aswell, so fingers crossed.
    Do u now how places they have? I applied to England through UCAS
    but I dunno if that was right, cause none have got back to me

• Advertisement

i think they have between 17 and 20 places on the course! its ment to be very competitive :(
    do you mind me asking what your undergraduate degree was? I am in my final year of social studies! have a combination of work experience from both placement and paid work but i know its really tough to get into the course and im afraid i wont have enough experience!

oh sorry just saw your original post ucd social science! sorry!

wow 17-20 places thats crazy!!!
    ye I do social science, I dont have any paid work exp
    mines been vol. but I dont really think it makes a difference
    They said there looking for about 800 hours

wow 17-20 places thats crazy!!!
    ye I do social science, I dont have any paid work exp
    mines been vol. but I dont really think it makes a difference
    They said there looking for about 800 hours

Just fyi, I had no where near that amount of hours, and I still got it. Also, got offered a job with only my placement experience. I think I was lucky though. Lots of people in my class had tonnes of expierence.

have you heard anything back from galway yet apparently they have already given out interviews???

ye I have my interview next week, but i was only told the other day so i say der still telling peeps

I have just been given an interview for galway, i am so happy i got it, does anyone know how many people get call for interview? what should i wear or is that even important?
    Im so happy but so nervous!

I have just been given an interview for galway, i am so happy i got it, does anyone know how many people get call for interview? what should i wear or is that even important?
    Im so happy but so nervous!
    what do they look for in galway is it knowledge of theories or the type of person you are and if you are suitable for the course/job?

wooo well done, I have no idea did u have an interview in ucd,cork or trinners. Each college seem to look for diff things

no i havnt done any interviews in any other colleges, to be honest by the time i went to the careers advisor and got a clear picture in my mind of what i wanted to do all the other closing dates had gone by. I am really counting on galway!

I am currently in my fourth year of social care in Limerick so i have been extra busy trying to organise this masters and fourth year! some pain! but will hopefully be worth it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Louise171819

Well done on the interview Christinalit, do ya mind me asking do you have much experiance etc? I'm going applyin for it next year in nuig because im just finishin up my arts degree this year in nuig and im goin taking the year out going getting some work experiance! :)

UCC, NUIG and UCD have put me on a waiting list :( I wonder if I have any chances of getting one of the masters

a friend of mine was 7th on the list for ucd. She got the course, don't worry just yet though!

wow really, how do you know what number you are ?

i graduated last year from the course in UCD. I didnt get put on the waiting list.

o sorry, what did you think of the course in ucd

o sorry, what did you think of the course in ucd

i loved it!

Of course, every course has its ups and downs. But I loved it, the teachers are all lovely, and approachable. The subjects are real interesting and there is generally a great sense of camaraderie between the class.

I had a couple of really bad months in 2nd year, and thought it would have fecked up my masters totally, but with the help from the lecturers, I actually not only passed, but got top marks for my thesis.

Best of luck!

wow sounds very student friendly, thanks a mill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

I don't know where to post this so move this mods to somewhere more appropiate. Has any partner overcome treating their partner with domestic violence after counselling?

• Advertisement
Advertisement