Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to replace an Eircom router

• 11-01-2012 5:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Ok, so the eircom router is really annoying me.. What I want to know is what should I get to support a 17mb line and how do I even replace it?

I mean do I have to still connect the original router and then hook up the new router to it or do I just hardline the new router (and dump the old one) same way as the old router was set up?

Not sure what way to go about it. Also I want something that will be solid for Xbox Live.

Any info on a router or how to set up a new router would be appreciated thanks.

P.S. Will a new router be able to strengthen my connection, I have a 17mb line and only get around 10 or 11 mb on this ADSL2+ router, got 14 on the old netopia one.. Would love to get 16 or the 17 mb if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

First thing you'll need is a sledge hammer to take care of that piece of crap eircom router.You'll need to get a router with a modem built in,I got myself a netgear one and it works great.Then you need to input these settings to get everything up and running:
    Username eircom@eircom.net
    Password
    broadband1
    Encapsulation
    PPPoE
    Multiplexing
    LLC Based
    VPI
    VCI
    Primary DNS
    Secondary DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for the reply and info.. seriously thinking of doing that!

Squaredude wrote: »
    First thing you'll need is a sledge hammer to take care of that piece of crap eircom router.You'll need to get a router with a modem built in,I got myself a netgear one and it works great.Then you need to input these settings to get everything up and running:
    Username eircom@eircom.net
    Password
    broadband1
    Encapsulation
    PPPoE
    Multiplexing
    LLC Based
    VPI
    VCI
    Primary DNS
    Secondary DNS

What exact Netgear did you get or could you recommend one?

Seriously thinking of going over to UPC, eircom really annoying me.. might give a new router as there one last chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

chops018 wrote: »
    might give a new router as there one last chance!

Don't, if you can get UPC then get it without even giving Eircom a second thought.

got a netgear dgn1000.it does the job for me.If you have the option of switching to upc then switch.I wish I had that option.

• Advertisement

Squaredude wrote: »
    got a netgear dgn1000.it does the job for me.If you have the option of switching to upc then switch.I wish I had that option.

Is that good for online gaming? it isn't ticked for online gaming on the specs anyway!

chops018 wrote: »
    Is that good for online gaming? it isn't ticked for online gaming on the specs anyway!
    Works great for online gaming.

Advertisement