Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alanya, Turkey 2013 - My Euro Dream Odyssey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭El Director

mloc123 wrote: »
    It does make a sound. It sounds like a bag of tupperware rattling around when you go over a pothole :D

:pac::pac:

mloc didn't you mention before something about taping the edges of the disc cover??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

:pac::pac:

mloc didn't you mention before something about taping the edges of the disc cover??

Yeah, tape the disc to the rim and it doesn't rattle. When taped it does make a slight 'disc' sound

Thurs Eve 9th May

Swim
    First OW 2012

This went better than my first outting in Ow last year…2min I lasted I believed ☺ I headed straight out of work, no faffing as I knew the tide would be on it’s way out. As it happened when I arrived at the Bull Wall (my first time) I could see I had plenty of time. Aim was to stay in at least 10min, when I got there I saw a yellow bouy which I estimated to be 250m away so the plan was get in and straight into swim mode, out and back. It was pretty calm, against the current on way out with it on way back. It was cold, very but I just hit the first 100m hard so that I’d be more concerned with my HR than the cold! :o Felt pretty decent and was moving well, visualising Saturday’s swim. Really glad I got out and did it and look forward to doing more this summer, very enjoyable. Didn’t actually do 10 min as it only took 7:03 for 515m (I was close in my guess ;)) Here is the file, the graph is crazy, I ain’t that bad…I hope!

I don’t know why but the file does not show pcae, only speed, does not show m/stroke or swim efficency…..but in the history on the device it does!!

Time 7:03; Dist 515m; AVE Eff 32.6; Swim Cad 35spm; Ave Pace 1:22/100m :o;

Body Composition Watch

Weight

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12778

Body Fat

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12779

Muscle Mass

picture.php?albumid=1633&pictureid=12777

So....

Weight down....nice race weight for Saturday, is it my optimum race weight? Will not know for a while, this is achieved by experience/trial and error, but it is great to be OVER 10kg lighter for my first race this year as opposed to my first last year :)
    Body fat up but still under 10%, muscle mass down but I'm not doing much in the line of strength these days apart from what you get on the bike,swim and run which is sufficient I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey! What will the water temp be for you this weekend? You good to go?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey! What will the water temp be for you this weekend? You good to go?

Hi DD, at a guess I'd say 10-12 Celsius that's about 50-54 for you guys ;) I am good to go....training began in earnest with my new/1st coach on Oct 3rd, an injury disrupted things in Jan and Feb but going well since thank God. 7 months of training, mostly twice a day, only 2 races in that time....gosh it'd be very easy to almost forget why we train-to race :) that's when I'm happiest and it's almost upon us now....might explain why I only got 3hrs sleep last night, awake since 1:30am. O well off to the gym/pool now....it's 5:50am :o

• Advertisement

Fri Morn 11th May

Swim Coached Prescribed Session NAC LC

Short sharp session this morning after a poor nights sleep. WU, drills and some fast stuff including 4 fast 50's: 41, 40, 41, 42.

Time 35min; Dist 1,500m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck tomorrow. A lot of work done as this stage, go out and smash it.

Just make sure to go out hard on the run, as the downhill is all gravity and no running. Don't pace it like a normal 5k or you'll finish with a lot more in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Good luck tomorrow. what kind of times are you hoping for?

My expert coaching advice would be to stick on Bjorn's shoulder the whole way round and then beat him in the sprint for the line :D

Hi DD, at a guess I'd say 10-12 Celsius that's about 50-54 for you guys ;) I am good to go....training began in earnest with my new/1st coach on Oct 3rd, an injury disrupted things in Jan and Feb but going well since thank God. 7 months of training, mostly twice a day, only 2 races in that time....gosh it'd be very easy to almost forget why we train-to race :) that's when I'm happiest and it's almost upon us now....might explain why I only got 3hrs sleep last night, awake since 1:30am. O well off to the gym/pool now....it's 5:50am :o

Awake since 1:30am.....yes, I noticed how late you were up when I saw you trolling the boards. :eek:

Best of luck to you tomorrow - it does sound like you've done all your homework and are well prepared, so enjoy the race and kill the competition. :D

Thanks guys. Times....no idea, so hard to know when you haven't done a course before, also if wet it will curtail me a fair bit on the bike as I am a wuss. We'll see how it goes :)

• Advertisement

Fri 11th May

Well a poor sleep Thurs night and almost 6 hours of driving meant something had to give and so it was my 30min easy run with fast bits. I was just so wrecked, the choice was to get an hour sleep before Linda came home from work or do the run. I would normally just do the run but sense prevailed-driving for that long sleepy would be dangerous. Pity, haven't missed a session nearly 2 months I'd say.

Sat 12th May Race Day....finally :)

Pre Race

Finally my tri season kicked off. Woke up to a spectacular view of the Kerry mountains and not a cloud in the sky. No breeze either to speak of. Headed down to transition and got in early. I straight away noted the long run from the swim up along side the transition, then into transition and back down again to where my bike would be-right at bike exit. Got set up and did 10min on the bike-up the hill, did some fast spurts as well. Legs felt heavyish. Then 5/6 min run with fast feet, heel flicks etc and some dynamic stretches...all done and still 80 min to the off :rolleyes: With having to take the ferry to the mainland the WU had to be done then. I continued to stretch though right up until the off.

Swim

I looked out for one/some the known top guys on the front line of the swim to see where they thought was a good spot to line up, spotted Trevor Woods and Mark Nolan so got in behind them over to the right of the start line. The horn went off and tri season 2012 started frantically! There was a lot of bumping and jostling but after 100m got settled. At first buoy we all came together again and I got a heel in my jaw for my troubles but it was ok. Water temp was cool, water quality probably the best ever, very enjoyable but glad I went with two swim hats. I did a pretty good job of feet hopping and got a few good drags. Then before I knew it I was heading for the ramp, happy days. Swim in as far as I could before popping up.

Split 10:46 (25/516)

T1

I notice that B Ludick is only getting his bike as I am getting out of the water so I’m aware I’ve had a good swim. But transition is long and I need to HTFU when it comes to running in bare feet 5/6 pass me while running in there. Finally I get to my bike but no helmet :o WTF?? Where has it gone? Did I leave it in the car? No, def not. WTF? Looked around and saw it about 5 feet away, must have got kicked or something. Anyway on it goes and away I go.

Split 2:14 (65/516)

Bike

Traditionally my strongest leg but I knew early on the legs were heavy and not really wanting to know about it. Not used of being passed on the bike and I lost a good few places, passed one or two myself. There was a group of riders that I really should have tried harder to stay in contact with but I didn’t. TBH after 7 months of training and only two races I was a bit shocked by the high intensity involved…you forget. I was struggling. Then came some rest bite, a fast section and straight. I was flying and pulling back meters but then more climbing. It was now that Fazz passed me and there was no response in me. Right then we started going through the most technical bit which was fast but because I have poor handling skills, am a wuss and lacked course familiarity I just went backward here. Fazz on the other hand must have pulled out 200-250m on me through here :o Devestating stuff from Fazz. Finally we turned back toward Knightstown. It was fast from here on and again I was making progress on those ahead but not enough and 3k from T2 I decided to save the legs a bit, drop a gear and get a higher cadence. Two passed me in the last 2km. Not good.

Time 30:43 (28/516)

T2

Again 4/5 passed me running through T2, a woeful time.

Split 1:09 (165/516)

Run

Onto the run and I thought I was going to have to walk up the drag. I was again struggling with the high intensity, HR going through the roof. I was passed again by 2/3 people. At about 2k mark I began to come around, relaxed shoulders and picked it up. Passed one guy and then was at the turn around, all down hill now. Harris, the lead swimmer by a mile, was now about 200m ahead of me. I decided that I’d do all I could to finish strong and catch him. It was all coming back to me now and I embraced the pain and began to enjoy it like I often have before. I kicked on, caught Harris and finished very strong. The guy who is just ahead of me in the results actually finished about 10 sec behind me!! E mail has been sent.

Split 18:56 (44/516)

Overall 1:03:49 (20/516)

10min cool down jog after with club mate.

A great race I must say, I will defo do it again. Very unique and what a lovely day, I actually got burnt. Great support and top top organisation.

Positives:

(a) Swim. Not too shabby, less than 10 sec behind Mark Nolan, eventual comprehensive winner. So swim is now at a stage that it leaves me in a position to challenge for top 10 in these NS/NC races. Won’t be resting on my laurels though.

(b) Last 3k of run, really got into it and passed a couple.

Needs Work:

(a) Transitions. Moe to the point running faster in bare feet.

(b) Bike. TBH I really thought I could get away with using power and muscling my way through a bike course. Not so. Yesterday was a sobering experience on the bike. Hill work needed and bike handling skills need to be improved big time, especially fast, descending tech bits. So for a short term solution and well for good practice anyway, I’m going to practice courses where and when possible. At least then I know what to expect and that will certainly help me. So for my two A races, Athy in 3 weeks – I know the course already and straight forward out and back. Crooked lake 6 days later however, well next Sat I am going to head up there and do a few laps of the course.

(c) The initial 2min or so of the bike and run….just get used of that high intensity, race practice will sort this out and any brick session I get like I have on Sat.

I have a good feeling though about my peaking phase though. 4 days before Athy I have pencilled in an aquathon so come Athy sprint and Crooked Lake even more so I will be race sharp :)

Sun 13th May

Bike
    2hr easy spin

Up early for a 2 hr spin but Linda was feeling sick and I didn't want to be gone long so I only did an hour. Very windy today but I'd love to do more cycling down there, great roads. Any drags I stayed seated but didn't drop gears just used power going up them. I then decided to hit part of the technical bit of the course from yesterday. Did it much better this morning, I knew what to expect and attacked the bends. I was pleased.

Time 1:07:57; Dist 31.68km; Ave Speed 28.9km/hr; Cad 86rpm

Big week ahead.

Nice work in the water - was the distance a true 750 meter? You rocked it! Congrats on the entire race - from my vantage point you did an awesome job, but it also sounds like you've got some comfortable room for shaving more time off. Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good going Mike, some nice running off the bike as well there

FREIGHT TRAIN BABY!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good going dude. The good thing is you know what you have to work on. Looking forward to seeing this big week! :cool:

Sounds like it's shaping up well for Athy. Sweeeet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done ElD, boiling over nicely for Athy and Crooked Lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

As I said very consistent and especially as first race in a long time!
    Great stuff well done.

Athy will see improvements across the board no doubt and there will be some epic battles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Smashing stuff ElD. Echo the comments about your swim split, thats great work.

Thanks guys, really looking forward to the next race now.

@Dory I'm not sure, it's open water and it can't be exacly 750m but not far off I'm sure. It was very calm though.

Mon May 14th

Swim Coach Prescribed NAC LC Session

Back in the pool this morning bright and early. After a WU and drills it was 10x 100 alt sw/pull steady:

1:39, 1:36, 1:37, 1:35, 1:38, 1:35, 1:39, 1:37, 1:37, 1:37.
    Fast 50's: 40, 43, 43, 45.

I was pretty tired after all the travel, racing and the exciteent of the last day of the prem league too! But I felt pretty good in the water I must say.

Time 50mmin; Dist 2,500m; Ave Pace 1:35/100m; Ave Strokes 24.1/length; Ave Eff 40; Ave SWOLF 79;

Mon Eve

Bike 60 min with 5x 20sec spurts

An enjoyable session actually, I was more than happy to get stuck in, watching all the drama from yesterday again! Felt very strong in the 20 sec spurts.

Time 60min; Dist(speed) 35km; HR 131; Cad 91; Watt 256;

• Advertisement

Tues morn 15th May

Gym

Strength and core work and stretches.

Time 1:15

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks guys, really looking forward to the next race now.

@Dory I'm not sure, it's open water and it can't be exacly 750m but not far off I'm sure. It was very calm though.

Did you wear the 910 for the swim?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did you wear the 910 for the swim?

No it's too bulky IMO. I just like to wear a normal, small, Casio. For HIM and longer then I'd definitely wear it.

Tues Eve 15th May

Run
    45 min easy with 5x 30sec build, 30 easy

I want to make every session count, not just going through the motions so I made the decision to get my HR into the higher side of easy zone, usually I’m in the lower side of easy. Hit the Phoenix Park park for this as I wanted something different, a trail run…totally aimless BTW. It was a joy and I loved the 30sec build, really got into them. Doing the trails was great, away from traffic and people and the hussle and bussle, varying terrain, certainly not flat, up and down. It was a beautiful evening so Tee and short and sunnies. As I approached the Munich Lap a bloody heavy/sore rail shower…yes hail showers in the middle of May :o Great run ☺

Garmin file

Time 44min; Dist 10.6; Pace 4:12/km; HR 149;

I absolutely LOVE trail running. When I'm out there in the wooded environment, I don't obsess about pace - I just let the contours of the trail and the obstacles that appear before me dictate pace and body position. I don't know about your terrain, but here in the Blue Ridge Mountains, it's quick eye-foot coordination and response that is required.

I absolutely LOVE trail running. When I'm out there in the wooded environment, I don't obsess about pace - I just let the contours of the trail and the obstacles that appear before me dictate pace and body position. I don't know about your terrain, but here in the Blue Ridge Mountains, it's quick eye-foot coordination and response that is required.

Ya for a while I have been obsessing on every step I take, where my arms are, my head, foot placement etc.... This evening I just ran free. The terrain isn't tricky but plenty of tree roots and uneven floor surface. Next time you're Dublin it's the only place to be :)

I think of it as an obstacle course made by good old Mother Nature herself, one where there are no rules or set patterns, but rather where sudden and random changes require on the fly adjustments. Sort of like dancing...if you're too hung up on too many details you're gonna suck, so keep it loose and free and move with the groove. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I absolutely LOVE trail running.

+1

especially barefoot :D 7km last night and never thought id say this, but loved every minute of the run

interested wrote: »
    +1

especially barefoot :D 7km last night and never thought id say this, but loved every minute of the run

Did you do it barefoot?? I mean I know you have the look of a bit of a cave man :pac: but really....did you do it barefoot?

Weds Morn 16th May

Swim
    Coach Prescribed NAC LC

A tastey looking session this morning and so it proved. WU and then:
    50x 4 des 1 – 4 on 60: 46.7, 45.4, 43.1, 41.1
    Then it was some 100’s B&B steady, range [1:55, 1:49]
    200's mod hard: ave 3:20 (pace 1:40/100)
    400p mod hard: 6:49 (pace 1:42/100)
    4x 50 fast: 41.5, 43.7, 44.2, 44.1

After the B&B the arms were a bit heavy, I was really concentrating on “getting over the barrel”. Another solid session in the locker.

Time 1:10; Dist 3,00m; Ave Pace 1:43/100; Ave Eff 40; Ave SWOLF 81; Ave Strokes 25.1/length

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Did you do it barefoot?? I mean I know you have the look of a bit of a cave man :pac: but really....did you do it barefoot?

Yep, admittedly it was more cross country than trail though. After all the rain we've had its pretty soft underfoot. Ive built up to this distance over the last 4 weeks but subtle changes in running technique mean Im no longer suffering from achilles, calf and quad pains so its possible for me to run on a daily basis which Ive never felt I was able to before. Also, Im running faster** with less perceived effort.

** its all relative, most would say what I was doing before wasn't strictly running ;)

Advertisement