Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with milk and constipation in 5 week old baby.

Options
  • 11-01-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi guys, i am now at the end of my tether i have been chatting to my doctor, health nurse and Aptimal Careline to no avail so said i'd seek your advise on the matter.

I have had my boy on Aptimal 1 since he was born it has been agreeing with him but only problem im having is the constipation so when speaking to all three of the above they recommended changing him to Aptimal Comfort. I changed him to this over 2 weeks ago now and still hasn't made a bit of difference.

My question to you is will i or should i change him to a different milk, i really dont know what to do at this stage. I never had this problem with my other boy but had used SMA for him. Can anyone help me or give me some advise. Thanks.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi

We use Lactease in SMA to stop any sort of constipation .

Basically our daughter has a colostomy and we need to keep her ' loose ' to help things along . We found this did the trick

Try it out.

Its a very small bottle you get from the pharmacy counter , costs about 11 euro for 15ml which lasts quite a long time ( 2 drops per feed or thereabouts )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my fiance's cousin had the same problem with her 11 week old boy, she changed him onto the cow and gate comfort and the problem went away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cow & Gate comfort is brilliant, have you tried some cooled boiled water and brown sugar???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Its not recommended that you keep changing your babies formula, like above what I did when my fella suffered from this is cooled boiled water and a tiny and I mean tiny amount of sugar its loosens everything up and should get things moving within 24hours

best of luck its hard watching them in discomfort

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kardarie

Thanks. We have tried the water in sugar thing to no avail. I have changed over to Cow & Gate comfort today so i am hoping i will see a change in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chessbase

Hi Kardarie
    This might seem patronising,and believe me, its not my intention. When you say your baby is constipated, ishe/she passing any bowel motions?
    Usually the comfort milks do the trick in a normal case of constipation. Be sure you avoid putting him on any of the hungrier milks as this is usually a cause of constipation. Also when you make up his bottles be sure its always the water you put in the bottles first and then the powder, never the other way around. With regards to sugar in water, this can push a baby the other way, so use with caution. You could try squeezing an orange and giving 1 oz orange with 4 oz cooled boiled water. Massage also good to relieve constipation. Hope this helps

Advertisement