Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Irish produced meat grass fed ?

• 11-01-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

or is it only dairy cows I see hanging about in fields chewing the green stuff ?

Or is it all just cows in big sheds getting fed God knows to fatten them up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Ah you see I assumed they were (I presume you are asking for paleo reasons) - grass in the summer months, silage in the winter...but now that you say it maybe they're just the dairy cows and the meat cows are locked up in a shed eating corn & oats :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The majority of irish beef is grass fed (More than 95%). Fed on grass during the summer months and silage or hay during the winter months - often supplemented with 1kg of ration (Soya bean or barley or oats etc) in order to promote a little bit of fat growth which gives better meat. The other 5% is fed on maze and ration etc. A small proportion of cattle in Ireland are fed on potatoes.

You should ask when you buy your meat, where it comes from. The butcher should be able to tell you what age the animal was when slaughtered, and what the animal was fed on. Many meat counters will be able to tell you the name of the farmer who fed the animal. There is an extensive traceability system in existance in the irish beef industry which is able to trace meat from fork to farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I would hazard a guess that a higher percentage Irish beef and lamb is grass fed than nearly any other country.

Just look all around you, we are surrounded by grass. It would be a very foolish farmer to not use this resource.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

They are fattened on grain a little at the end of their lives but not so much that it would make them as sick as the cows on factory feed lots in the US.

I've had 100% grass-fed meat, it's very gamey, so I'd take the slight grain for the better tasting meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

I've had 100% grass-fed meat, it's very gamey, so I'd take the slight grain for the better tasting meat.

Where did you get the 100% grass-fed meat?

I realise I'm bumping a pretty old thread.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Where did you get the 100% grass-fed meat?

I realise I'm bumping a pretty old thread.

It was in San Francisco in an organic restaurant. It was chewy as anything.

Advertisement