Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smyths won't accept return

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

My son got 2 Lego city police stations for Xmas one from Santa and one combined from relatives . My sister in law can't locate the recipt for me to return it, i rang smyths and the girl said yes no problem exchange for another item , I sent my husband in as he also had other items to return and they wouldn't take the Lego city police station they said if a item is over €50.00 they don't allow exchange !! Can anyone give me any advice on what to do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If there's something wrong with the toy they have to take it back. If there's not they don't. Taking something that was a duplicate gift or change of mind is done out of courtesy, they are well within their rights not to do so. Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Thewife wrote: »
    My son got 2 Lego city police stations for Xmas one from Santa and one combined from relatives . My sister in law can't locate the recipt for me to return it, i rang smyths and the girl said yes no problem exchange for another item , I sent my husband in as he also had other items to return and they wouldn't take the Lego city police station they said if a item is over €50.00 they don't allow exchange !! Can anyone give me any advice on what to do ?

You can't really do anything. If that's in their T&Cs then you have no consumer right to exchange unless there is a manufacturing fault with the item.

The only thing I would try to do is appeal to their better nature. Ask to speak to the manager, explain the situation that there are two identical gifts (were they both bought in the same place, do you still have the santa receipt?). Don't get huffy, argumentative or start talking about consumer rights because this is a sure fire way of getting nowhere. Apologise and say that you weren't aware of the €50 exchange policy, is in a new T&C, and that you'll be sure to remember it for future purchases. Ask is there any chance of changing one of them for a different lego piece of equal or more value to make a little boy happy? You never know, it might work.

The one thing I will say about this T&C, when it becomes common knowledge it will lose them money, I know if I was going in to buy a present for my godchild I would be sure to stay below the €50 threshold in order to comply with it rather than spending a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Don't suppose you could magically track down Santa's receipt instead of your sister in law? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I returned a item just before Xmas for a refund it was on the same recipt as the Lego that Santa had brought, they never gave me back the recipt !! It's a silly rule really I mean they will allow you to being back say 10 items for 49.99 and there's no problem but I can't exchange 1 because it's over 50 !! Dosent make sense!!

I shall ring again and speak with a manager as I promised my boy he could bring it back and get a nintendo ds instead!!

And the amount of money I spend and still spend in there is just wrong ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭PopTarts

If you paid by Credit card or Debit Card they should be able to track the receipt for you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Rob Nulty

Ring <SNIP> in the carrickmines branch, he's a friend of mine he'll sort you out..;)

MODEDIT: And what if management read this thread, and crack down on your friend for not following policy. Don't post personal details in public!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I shall ring again and speak with a manager as I promised my boy he could bring it back and get a nintendo ds instead!!

And the amount of money I spend and still spend in there is just wrong ..

When speaking to the manager, I'm sure if you explain you'll be using the money in the store, explain how you always buy your stuff there and mention the previous refund, then you'll be OK.

Good luck

I paid with laser card do you think they could find it for me on that?

Yes I'll do that thanks :) I just simply want them to apply the credit against the nintendo ds and also I will be adding yet again further money lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The local Smyths store used to always exchange no matter the amount as long as it was re-salable, but they did have a problem with discontinued toys being sold off in the local Tesco and people tried to return them for exchange in Smyths where they were still at full price.

Now they wont take anything back without a receipt. Cant blame them.

The laser statement may help, but I presume like mine it had a fair bit of stuff on it, not only the lego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I returned a item just before Xmas for a refund it was on the same recipt as the Lego that Santa had brought, they never gave me back the recipt !!

This is annoying, Dunnes Stores used to do this all the time when I shopped there and had to ask for the receipt back, it's bad practice when there are other items on the receipt.

Appeal to their better nature and I'm sure they'll look after you, screaming and shouting will get you nowhere but explaining that the future business will be theirs and has been in the past so that should work if they have any common sense that is.

Best of luck

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The local Smyths store used to always exchange no matter the amount as long as it was re-salable, but they did have a problem with discontinued toys being sold off in the local Tesco and people tried to return them for exchange in Smyths where they were still at full price.

Now they wont take anything back without a receipt. Cant blame them.

The laser statement may help, but I presume like mine it had a fair bit of stuff on it, not only the lego.

I totally understand the situation
    With persons buying elsewhere at sale and returning for full price somewhere , however common sense would tell the
    That Lego city police station has never been reduced heavily anywhere (unfortunately )

Yes it was a big Santa shop I
    Did at that time with my laser so it won't
    Show the Lego on it's own . I'm going to go there again tomorow and see what happens :-)

I'm sure it will work out fine and if not well he's little brother will be getting Lego city police station for Xmas in about 5 years :)

vicwatson wrote: »
    I returned a item just before Xmas for a refund it was on the same recipt as the Lego that Santa had brought, they never gave me back the recipt !!

This is annoying, Dunnes Stores used to do this all the time when I shopped there and had to ask for the receipt back, it's bad practice when there are other items on the receipt.

Appeal to their better nature and I'm sure they'll look after you, screaming and shouting will get you nowhere but explaining that the future business will be theirs and has been in the past so that should work if they have any common sense that is.

Best of luck

I know its so annoying !! And I did think of it at the time but to be honest I wasn't expecting to have to return anything else and my brain was so fried from spending ages in there I just wanted to get home !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you did this OP, the receipt would still be int he store, filed under that days Customer Service desk's till admin. They should be able to find it if you have the date. You could get the date the refund went back onto your laser, that would narrow it down. They should have no issue looking for that receipt for you, it would be much easier than trailing through all the transactions form your laser card date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I paid with laser card do you think they could find it for me on that?

The receipt won't help though. They've told you they won't accept a return on any item over €50. Whether you have a receipt or other proof of purchase is irrelevant. Any refund is purely at their discretion, and they've already denied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

jor el wrote: »
    The receipt won't help though. They've told you they won't accept a return on any item over €50. Whether you have a receipt or other proof of purchase is irrelevant. Any refund is purely at their discretion, and they've already denied it.

I see no mention of the €50 limit on their Ts&Cs. It does however state that they'll refund within 28 days if accompanied by a receipt. Therefore a refund within 28 days with a receipt is not at their discretion, it formed part of the contract of sale. A refund without a receipt would be at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

OP.You have no chance.Same happened here a while back. Just try and sell/swap it.Dont take it personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭nitros7

I am very surprised that they wouldn't exchange it against another item for you.
    Try their customer service on the link below and i'm sure they will sort it for you.
    http://www.toys.ie/help-centre/returns-4hc.aspx#sc0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

As far as I know one of the reasons the €50 rule was brought in was for the following...

high value items (e.g. roboraptor) would be returned to a store (e.g. Fonthill) and it had been noticed that another store in the area had the same item stolen possibly on the previous day or same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We got a refund on a large €115 Lego set in Smyths Waterford the week before Christmas (with the receipt). No issues whatsoever.

SSE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Smyths (cork) last year let us return a product over €50 with no receipt, i went in explained my daughter got two presents for xmas of two of the same item and asked could we exchange one for another toy for the same value, the girl said no problem but did warn us if it had been reduced since we would have to take the new price without a receipt, and we just went picked up a different item and swopped them no problem.

i have never had issues with exchanges there, did the same two weeks ago but with a change of mind, they didn't even check the receipt i had (they may have recognised me im in there almost every month)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Generally speaking, refunds/exchanges/credit notes cannot be done on anything over €50 due to all of the reasons listed on the previous posts here. It's not nice from a customer perspective but nobody can deny from a retail perspective that it makes a horrendous amount of sense.

As for with a receipt however, there is no fixed value on what can or cannot be refunded. If you have a receipt, and are within 28 days of purhcase, and the product is unopened and resellable, no problem whatsoever.

Advertisement