Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major jobs announced for Waterford ?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

According to WLR Richard Bruton going to announce new jobs for Waterford after 11am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

Nope it's only a fund available for start up business . Carry on !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Have you a link to this story nonetheless decies?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Can't find any links meself yet, they brought it up on WLR there and tried to find out what they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Whoooooosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

According to the News and Star this week its 200 jobs in a call centre operation. 40 people have already been hired for the roles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i heard it was orange who were opening a call center and their taking on 300,
    hope its all true, please god.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Orange? The mobile operator? Sure they haven't even setup a base to be getting a customer service center open!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The wife was asked for a quote before Christmas for enough stuff that she sells to cover well over a one hundred new employees* in a call centre. I assume that hasn't gone away so it could be related.

* I have to be cryptic as she is still in with a shout for the order.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Spotted this on Facebook anyway. Not sure if its connected.
    Minister Phil Hogan has welcomed today’s announcement by the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Mr Richard Bruton TD of the establishment by Enterprise Ireland of a €200K Pilot Competitive Feasibility Fund aimed at stimulating start ups and creating jobs in the South East.

The Fund was previously signalled as part of the South East Employment Action Plan, published by the Minister last month. Funding of up to €25,000 will be provided to start-up companies with job-creating potential in the South East region.

Companies in the ICT, industrial and food sectors based in Waterford, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny and South Tipperary will be eligible to apply.

The purpose of the Pilot Competitive Feasibility Fund for the South East Region is to accelerate the growth of start-up companies that have the capability to succeed in global markets. The fund is designed to assist a new start-up company or individual entrepreneur to investigate the viability of a new export orientated business or proposition.

The closing date for applications is 30th January 2012, and it is expected that the first awards will be made shortly after that.

The South East is a region which has persistently had higher rates of unemployment than the rest of the country, and has fared disproportionately badly during the current economic difficulties. That is why I have started a process to examine the causes of this problem, and to target government interventions at the region to address it.

In the South East just as across the rest of the country, job-creation will depend above all on our ability to create a new indigenous engine of growth. This Fund is directed at helping the indigenous businesses which will create the jobs we so badly need in the South East, and I urge businesses with strong job-creation potential to come forward and compete for the funds available. In this way we can create high-growth, job-creating businesses in the region and finally make a start at addressing the serious problems it faces.

This fund, which aims to help the high growth indigenous businesses that will create the jobs of the future, is one part of that plan.

Full details of the Fund including the Application Form are available on the Enterprise Ireland web site: www.enterprise-ireland.com/sef
    The closing date for applications is 30 January 2012.

Source: http://www.philhogan.ie/news/385/89/200k-fund-to-stimulate-new-start-up-activity-in-South-East.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sully wrote: »
    Orange? The mobile operator? Sure they haven't even setup a base to be getting a customer service center open!

It's outsourced for the UK customer base. The place is in the smaller industrial estate extension.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    It's outsourced for the UK customer base. The place is in the smaller industrial estate extension.

Very nice. So its confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

As far as I know it's up and running since before Christmas. Primarily cold calling UK potential customers and offering upgrades with current customers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

..yes thats Eishtec, they've had that contract for sometime now, even before TalkTalk was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Brother started out there a few days ago.

seanybiker wrote: »

its brilliant to hear of anybody getting a new job these days,
    best of luck to him seany.

its brilliant to hear of anybody getting a new job these days,
    best of luck to him seany.

Sure is great bud. Delighted for him. One or two people he used to work with are after getting in there aswell and one of the nutters I used to go to school with is there aswell. Hopefully more jobs pop up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

seanybiker wrote: »

Me too ;)

There are inbound calls aswell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

its not that eishtec crowd is it? if so minimum wage jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Waterford needs higher quality jobs than that. Those crappy minimum wage here today, gone tomorrow jobs have destroyed this town.

and dont say a job is a job. There not a job there a deadend obesity breeding trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Media999 wrote: »
    Waterford needs higher quality jobs than that. Those crappy minimum wage here today, gone tomorrow jobs have destroyed this town.

and dont say a job is a job. There not a job there a deadend obesity breeding trap.

Any job announced is to be welcomed.

At the end of the day people have to start somewhere. There's no harm in starting off in a minimum wage job. At least if anything, people will get experience, training and improved interpersonnel skills which will help them to move up the jobs ladder later on.

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »

At the end of the day people have to start somewhere. There's no harm in starting off in a minimum wage job. At least if anything, people will get experience, training and improved interpersonnel skills which will help them to move up the jobs ladder later on.

I'd be the same. I'm sure plenty of people would be delighted to be earning anything these days. Fair play to whoever works in places that have numpties looking down on them for having a supposedly deadend job.

Finnbar01 wrote: »

id rather be out working for 8.65 an hour rather then sitting at home playing with me willy and earning feck all,

anythings better then dole queing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Exactly. Even if you just look at the call centre milieu, recently Cork got VMWare and Galway got Bioware while we got some minimum-wage outsource jobs, there is definitely a big difference in the quality of job and also in the commitment of the employer to the employee, even in the call-centre business.

We, as a city, a county and as a south-east region need to keep fighting for better jobs and also for better third-level education so we can encourage a better class of job to come to the south-east rather than go to Dublin, Cork or Galway as they are doing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

Just to clarify that last statement VMware has been in cork nearly 6/7 years. It's not new just expanding at he moment. But agreed Waterford do need high value industries to be set up before any high value jobs are advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

a job is a job
    Exactly. Even if you just look at the call centre milieu, recently Cork got VMWare and Galway got Bioware while we got some minimum-wage outsource jobs, there is definitely a big difference in the quality of job and also in the commitment of the employer to the employee, even in the call-centre business.
    Just to clarify that last statement VMware has been in cork nearly 6/7 years. It's not new just expanding at he moment. But agreed Waterford do need high value industries to be set up before any high value jobs are advertised.

Vmware isnt something that was just given to Cork, it was more due to the fact that EMC have a controling stake in the Vmware company and because of this they set up in Ballincollig along side EMC...... If emc wasnt in Cork then I doubt VMware would be there in the first place

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

obesity breeding trap.

Ok so what your saying is a call centre is a obesity breeding trap?

Of course this makes no sense because any job can be a obesity breeding trap, if you don't lead a health lifestyle and eat junk food then your going to be in trouble. This goes for any job.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Maybe Waterford would get better jobs, if we didn't have such a pack of whingers - oh its only minimum wage

Companies don't come to Waterford because we have given ourselves a bad rep because of a small minority of slackers who bit*h and whine when they do get a job.

We have a culture of wanting maximum pay for the least amount of work, in an environment were clannish, vicious gossiping morons that wouldn't know a honest days work if it kicked it up the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Reasons why Waterford doesn't attract more high quality jobs:

1. Absence of an internationally respected third level institution. You can change the name of WIT all you like, but it isn't comparable to what is on offer in Cork, Dublin, Limerick or Galway. Waterford's best leaving cert students generally leave and are slow to return.

2. Poor local infastructure. We have a small airport, a mediocre port and a terrible rail service. If you're a high level executive from overseas, its a pain in the ass for me to get here, never mind exporting produce.

3. Lack of clusters. Waterford had a call centre cluster I suppose, but never built up enough critical mass in the pharma or tech sectors. Probably never will.

4. Lack of strong political representation.

5. History of militant workforces and demanding unions. I'd place this last but will still be a factor. Many US firms in particular simply don't recognise unions anyway as they won't take their messing.

I welcome the potential investment via the jobs fund, although it is seriously flawed in its design and scope. However, I would worry for the Waterford local economy in the short, medium and long term unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Kracken wrote: »
    Maybe Waterford would get better jobs, if we didn't have such a pack of whingers - oh its only minimum wage

Companies don't come to Waterford because we have given ourselves a bad rep because of a small minority of slackers who bit*h and whine when they do get a job.

We have a culture of wanting maximum pay for the least amount of work, in an environment were clannish, vicious gossiping morons that wouldn't know a honest days work if it kicked it up the ass.

You complain about whinging, and then go on to whinge like a slapped bitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

longshanks wrote: »
    You complain about whinging, and then go on to whinge like a slapped bitch?

I have a job, however I think that you mistake angry with whinging...

Advertisement