Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major jobs announced for Waterford ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok so what your saying is a call centre is a obesity breeding trap?

Of course this makes no sense because any job can be a obesity breeding trap, if you don't lead a health lifestyle and eat junk food then your going to be in trouble. This goes for any job.

Oh so it was just coincidence that half of TalkTalk were morbidly obese :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Media999 wrote: »
    Em, what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Kracken wrote: »
    Maybe Waterford would get better jobs, if we didn't have such a pack of whingers - oh its only minimum wage

Companies don't come to Waterford because we have given ourselves a bad rep because of a small minority of slackers who bit*h and whine when they do get a job.

We have a culture of wanting maximum pay for the least amount of work, in an environment were clannish, vicious gossiping morons that wouldn't know a honest days work if it kicked it up the ass.

Thats pure and utter bulls**t.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Media999 wrote: »

You could pick any number of industrys and/or companys and say the claim thing without any actual proof.

- People working in supermarkers
    - People working in xyz office company
    - People that work/worked for building companys.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

Really, someone doesn't agree with your whinging, and you call it BS, get a grip of yourself...

The fact is the jobs announce is by a local company set up by 3 locals and they are bring jobs in to the locality and you have the audacity to bit*h and snipe about it.

Its that exact reason that you are the reason this city failing... Have you considered the that the more work get into the city the more we grow, and the more we grow the more other companies will look at us as an option.

So quit you moaning and actually give a sh** about the city, do something positive and not armchair protest about how terrible things are...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Its that exact reason that you are the reason this city failing... Have you considered the that the more work get into the city the more we grow, and the more we grow the more other companies will look at us as an option.

I hope you realise you've not only let yourself down, not only let boards down, but you've left your whole city down BlaasforRafa! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

id rather be out working for 8.65 an hour rather then sitting at home playing with me willy and earning feck all,

You could spend that €8.65 on Monica ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭decies

Damien tiernan tweeting the good news for Waterford to be announced on morning Ireland

Really, someone doesn't agree with your whinging, and you call it BS, get a grip of yourself...

The fact is the jobs announce is by a local company set up by 3 locals and they are bring jobs in to the locality and you have the audacity to bit*h and snipe about it.

So quit you moaning and actually give a sh** about the city, do something positive and not armchair protest about how terrible things are...

You're the one that started with the personal attacks so you can take your indignation and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I give a s==t about this city which is WHY I'm saying that although any jobs are welcome, they are bog standard jobs and aren't much to crow about. And I know the locals involved, I have no comment to make about them.

Its attitudes like yours and your willingness to accept any oul thing rather than actually BE ambitious for the city that is holding it back. Have YOU considered that companies look at Waterford and see no university and minimum wage outsource jobs and go "We'd be better off in Galway/Cork/Dublin"

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I hope you realise you've not only let yourself down, not only let boards down, but you've left your whole city down BlaasforRafa! :D

;)

• Advertisement

We will be honoured by Richard Brutons presence tomorrow apparently .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

decies wrote: »
    We will be honoured by Richard Brutons presence tomorrow apparently .

Is he coming down to personally close Honeywell, because that's the only major jobs announcement I've seen.

Let's see what happens tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

dayshah wrote: »
    Is he coming down to personally close Honeywell, because that's the only major jobs announcement I've seen.

Honeywell Turbos took on 12 people last Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

220 jobs in a call centre supporting Orange in the UK according to RTE,

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0113/eishtec.html.

Good to see

Good luck to everybody in their new jobs , best of luck to everybody else trying to climb aboard the ss employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

So how do people apply for these jobs?

Know two ex talk talk who are already working there , so don't know how many are filled already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nice to see a bit of good news for a change.

The two most common complaints that I seem to hear are that A) there are no jobs coming to Waterford, and B) we rely too heavily on FDI, which can just up and leave when a better opportunity comes up in Poland or Malaysia.

Well this is an example of jobs coming to Waterford, and also an example of Irish entrepreneurs providing them, so fair play to them.

Of course it's only a drop in the ocean compared to all the job losses, but if we build a long-term culture of starting up our own businesses and providing our own indigenous employment in this country, then we'll be well on the way to a proper economic recovery. Let's hope this is the first of many such announcements.

Congratulations to all concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

You're the one that started with the personal attacks so you can take your indignation and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I give a s==t about this city which is WHY I'm saying that although any jobs are welcome, they are bog standard jobs and aren't much to crow about. And I know the locals involved, I have no comment to make about them.

Its attitudes like yours and your willingness to accept any oul thing rather than actually BE ambitious for the city that is holding it back. Have YOU considered that companies look at Waterford and see no university and minimum wage outsource jobs and go "We'd be better off in Galway/Cork/Dublin"

So you would rather see people stay on the dole at ~€200 rather than ~€360, it's that €160 can make all the difference of a parent being able to tell a child sorry its so cold, mummy and daddy can't afford the heating - that's the stark reality of it.

A job is a job, you want to hold out - you may as well carry the people onto the plane to emigrate... Because holding on is not an option,

You still don't get it, the people whose lives are affected can't hold out.... can you tell me this, can you imagine what a person feels like when they can't afford to support there family.... A job is a job

You say you give a sh** about the city, the three people that have brought in these jobs have the opposite attitude to you. You don't understand that the city needs jobs, it doesn't matter what kind they are. It puts food on the table and get people off the dole queue.

Yes the politicians and the BSers can nash their teeth all they want, but have a city with jobs means people can afford to educate themselves, they send there kids to schools and get them educated which in turn means that they get better jobs...

You talk about being ambitious for better jobs, please explain how that can be done, if we have a city with people working it means that other support entities are attracted to us.

Ergo, the city grows and we get the jobs we speak off but that only comes when people are willing to work. This is not the rose coloured world that you see, its a tough world and its jobs that matter in the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think we can all agree this is a big positive for the city, a local company doing good. Its not FDI (we all know IDAs record on FDI for Waterford) so hopefully they will stay here long term. Agreed the 1000 paypal jobs would be better as the most important thing for now us to get people working. Also agreed would be if we could attract some high-tech/pharma higher paid jobs or public service jobs but its up to ourselves to support our local businesses and our reps to do all they can to secure some jobs for Waterford and the south east.

Blaas for Raf, we all want these better paid jobs as you point out and most people on here are educated enough to know this, what we dont seem to have is the IDA on our side. Write those e-mails/letters even better to the Ministers, our TDs councillors, the IDA etc. This is a good story,not lack of ambition, welcoming this with open arms is not holding us back, we are in a desperate jobs situation at the moment and we need to work together and get as many workign as possible. We also need to keep our eye on the ball though, why didnt we get the paypal jobs, why dont IDA pay us the time of day etc. Being negative about this announcement doesnt help anyone, If we can force these variables, hopefully we will get the high-tech jobs soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Good news at last for the city and it takes 220 people off the Live Register. However it is a drop in the ocean in the scheme of things and many more will lose their jobs as a result of recent closures in retail, not to mention the 15k+ who are unemployed in the city alone. We need to be creating and attracting high end jobs and jobs like these although very welcome are low skilled and low paid and came with a very generous Government grant. Many of the new employees will be from Talk Talk and that is good to see. Lets push on from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Even when good news is announced people are still moaning and finding something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Even when good news is announced people are still moaning and finding something to complain about.

Bit of trolling going on IMO, ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Good to see a few new jobs being created, I know the people involved with this company as well, wouldn’t be fan of them but best of luck with it.
    The only thing I would be worried about it’s a contract call center, this is really at bottom end call center to put it nicely.
    Relying on contracts from other companies, which could be there for a year and gone by the next. Very similar to rigney and dolphin for long term job prospects it wouldn’t get the thumbs up from me. But good to see anyway and best of luck to those starting work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

reni10 wrote: »
    So how do people apply for these jobs?

The gang at This Is Up are recruiting for these positions.

If you want information pm me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I know yeah. Fooking mental.
    Really hard to resist the rollseyes Smily. Must fight temptation

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

seanybiker wrote: »
    Really hard to resist the rollseyes Smily. Must fight temptation

Go on Seany we all need to give into temptation every now and then lol
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Go on Seany we all need to give into temptation every now and then lol
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im sorry I just cant. So about this temptation, How you yummy mummy. ;) haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It felt good to watch on the news about new jobs for Waterford.
    Best of luck to all involved.

Advertisement