Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major jobs announced for Waterford ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Nypd wrote: »
    It felt good to watch on the news about new jobs for Waterford.
    Best of luck to all involved.
    Big head on me brother on the news. Noely looks confused on it hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Good to see a few new jobs being created, I know the people involved with this company as well, wouldn’t be fan of them but best of luck with it.
    The only thing I would be worried about it’s a contract call center, this is really at bottom end call center to put it nicely.
    Relying on contracts from other companies, which could be there for a year and gone by the next. Very similar to rigney and dolphin for long term job prospects it wouldn’t get the thumbs up from me. But good to see anyway and best of luck to those starting work there.

This thread has its fair share of ex call center workers who know how this works.

Maybe thats why theres a lot of complaining and other not understanding why.

Love to say these jobs are long term but theyre far from it. Call centres are far too cheap abroad for even minimum wage here to compete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd like to see anyone who does get employed be able to stay in long-term employment from this.

Even if they only get 6 months or a year out of it then I see it as a good thing. Any bit of extra money is a good thing these days. Ya whiny fookers ye lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

It would sicken ya looking at that Bruton (or others) jumping on the bandwagon when there is good news, but would any of them be there if jobs were been lost:rolleyes:.people might think "arnt they great the way the government are bringing in jobs", when they had feck all to do with them:(. go away and stop getting yer mug on the news ye useless pack of buffoons:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

I'd like to see anyone who does get employed be able to stay in long-term employment from this.

Why on earth not??

jimmyw wrote: »
    It would sicken ya looking at that Bruton (or others) jumping on the bandwagon when there is good news, but would any of them be there if jobs were been lost:rolleyes:.people might think "arnt they great the way the government are bringing in jobs", when they had feck all to do with them:(. go away and stop getting yer mug on the news ye useless pack of buffoons:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Is enterprise ireland not the government?

Id say a large lump of that money went to this project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

seanybiker wrote: »
    Even if they only get 6 months or a year out of it then I see it as a good thing. Any bit of extra money is a good thing these days. Ya whiny fookers ye lol.

Exactly my thoughts !! Its 6 months out of the Social Welfare Office too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

im self employed,have one and a half days work a week and my dole was stopped. what disgusts me is there is people out there who has the skills and experience for certain jobs but still wont go for them for absolutely stupid reasons (they are also unemployed), i think they are crazy! i am a bookkeeper and would take any job at this stage! you cant be fussy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

jimmyw wrote: »

Yeah, it p!ssed me off watching the news and saw the 2 TDS standing behind Bruton, when in fact the 2 of them really did Sweet Fcuk All there today other than enjoy the teas and scones...

But wahey for the jobs.... any job is better than no job!!! :p

• Advertisement

Twoelles wrote: »
    Why on earth not??
    Just with the contracts is all. Be tough to see a load of people back out of work in 2 years if a contract isn't renewed or added. But even 2 years is great for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

Just with the contracts is all. Be tough to see a load of people back out of work in 2 years if a contract isn't renewed or added. But even 2 years is great for people.

Ahh but according to heathers speech yesterday, this is just the beginning. UK companies are looking for affordable 'on shore' contact centres and the Orange contract is just the beginning for them.

Heather, Colm and Brian have invested everything they have in this business and I believe that they will fight for it to succeed. The main difference now is that they dont work directly for the company they are offering out sourcing so they can have their fingers in many pies, not just Oranges.

Twoelles wrote: »
    Heather, Colm and Brian have invested everything they have in this business and I believe that they will fight for it to succeed. The main difference now is that they dont work directly for the company they are offering out sourcing so they can have their fingers in many pies, not just Oranges.
    hehehehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

It's impossible to get a job in call centres if you haven't worked in one before, I've tried a few of them and no joy, it's a form of discrimination as it's not rocket science.

200motels wrote: »
    It's impossible to get a job in call centres if you haven't worked in one before, I've tried a few of them and no joy, it's a form of discrimination as it's not rocket science.

Brother never worked in one before and he's out in that new place. Maybe he said he's related to me though and they just gave him the jop there and then.

It's not just clicking buttons and reading a screen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Saying things like that might be where you're going wrong. Most call centres actually prefer to hire people who have never worked in one before in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Rocket science:

Mission_control_center.jpg

Call Centre:

CallCentreMurdoMacleod460.jpg

Spot the difference?

Nonsense.

Completely the opposite.

Vast majority of ex call centre workers wouldnt want to work in another one again. just look at how few ex TalkTalk are in that new place.

Hate to say it but its your attitude rather than your lack of experience thats your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Media999 wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Completely the opposite.

Vast majority of ex call centre workers wouldnt want to work in another one again. just look at how few ex TalkTalk are in that new place.

Hate to say it but its your attitude rather than your lack of experience thats your problem.
    Maybe so, but I didn't even get a reply from them, and I got my CV and covering letter done by a professional which cost a few euro. It's probably my age is against me. Who knows. I'll keep going and I'll keep sending them out.

• Advertisement

Maybe so, but I didn't even get a reply from them, and I got my CV and covering letter done by a professional which cost a few euro. It's probably my age is against me. Who knows. I'll keep going and I'll keep sending them out.

Best of luck in the hunt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rocher2010

Surprised at the attitudes of a lot of people. What a lot of people are failing to recognise is that you have 2 Local people and another who might as well be he's living here so long that are committed to Waterford and have opened a contract based contact centre. Granted a contact centre isn't everyone's cup of tea but it allows those who do want to work, those who need to work to support their families the opportunity to take home a reasonable wage for a fairly rewarding Job. At the end of the day the kind of people who give about the fact that it's 'only a call centre' are probably the same kind of people who wouldn't work in Mcdonalds for the 'shame of it', and are more likely the kidn od people who give out about 'foreign' poeple having our jobs now when we wouldnt take them ourselves. What these people fail to realise is that this is a contract based centre so there is a high possibility for expansion, for diversification into other areas and as has already been said talks are underway already to ensure this happens. This may mean for those people that they may have higher paid or more skilled jobs albeit on the phones.
    To all the naysayers ge down off your high horses, and look at what this really is, an opportunity for the county that if supported may bring around further opportunities. To all the well wishers fairplay for seeing it as it actually is.
    Ps. I'm from Wexford :P

rocher2010 wrote: »
    Ps. I'm from Wexford :P

Sorry to hear that.

there some Stephen fella down there training them in and he's supposedly some great craic altogether. Himself and a few of his airsoft buddies dressed up in all the gear and went in kidnapped one of his friends or something like that.:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rocher2010

seanybiker wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

there some Stephen fella down there training them in and he's supposedly some great craic altogether. Himself and a few of his airsoft buddies dressed up in all the gear and went in kidnapped one of his friends or something like that.:pac::pac:

Thats the thing, the Work itself is tough but the place and the craic really helps.

rocher2010 wrote: »
    Thats the thing, the Work itself is tough but the place and the craic really helps.
    Sure that's what ya want. If it was to easy you'd get bored and being allowed have the craic helps alot keeping people happy. There's method in their madness

Advertisement