Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair price to charge to setup Website?

Options
  • 11-01-2012 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been approached to create a classifieds website for someone using a pre-packaged type solution, something like Noah's Classified https://noahsclassifieds.org/. This might not be the actual solution used but it will be similar to this.

Things just need to be basic for the initial version, implement logos, styling etc. Domain is registered, just need to find a host. Payments would be done using Paypal which all these pre-packaged solutions support out of the box.

Thing is I have no idea on how best to price this work, any work I have done outside my full-time Software Dev job is PC/laptop repair. Should I give a fixed figure at the start? Should I estimate the length of time it would take and put a figure on my hourly rate? What would you charge?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's loads of threads on classifieds sites in the Website Review and Entrepreneurial & Business Management forums which might help you if you spend a bit of time searching through them. One piece of advice I would give you is to get as much of your payment up front as these sites don't often get to a viable business level.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

An independent staging area for the site is usually a good idea for them to review things without having to give them anything and having payment points for various chunks of work is advisable as well. Your final unit of work will be the push from staging to live.

J

Advertisement