Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Simply Broadband - disconnection charge

• 11-01-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Here's a good one.

Magnet Simply Broadband..
    It's €40 per month.. no contract. Cancel whenever you want.
    Seems like a good deal.

Until you want to cancel... then its a €50 "disconnection charge".
    That's not mentioned anywhere. Or said to you at any stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's not mentioned anywhere, how do you know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moyda

I am a customer.
    I asked what happens when I want to cancel.

http://magnet.ie/downloads/Magnet-Entertainment-t&c-Master-2011.pdf
    Their T&Cs make no mention of a €50 cancellation fee, so I'd refuse to pay it if they ask. All that is asked for is 30 days notice when outside of minimum term contract.

Either it's a mistake to tell you there was a fee, or they're just making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moyda

Hmm..
    That's interesting.
    Thank you for pointing that out.

Just wanted to warn others though. Make sure you ask them before agreeing to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

How does this work if you have no landline.

• Advertisement

You do have a line, they just disable the phone on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Does that include line rental? No mention of it on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

Was mentioned when I signed up to the service, but they distinctly said there was no contract, made them repeat it.

So I'd fail to see how I'd owe them anything (not breaking a contract) if I give them 30 days notice.

Open to correction though.

Does that include line rental? No mention of it on the site.

Yes.
    staengus wrote: »
    So I'd fail to see how I'd owe them anything (not breaking a contract) if I give them 30 days notice.

You wouldn't owe them anything, as it's not in the contract or the contract terms, and was never stated to you. This is a bogus charge, and anyone asked to pay it should refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Kathyo

jor el wrote: »
    Yes.

You wouldn't owe them anything, as it's not in the contract or the contract terms, and was never stated to you. This is a bogus charge, and anyone asked to pay it should refuse.

I was seriously considering this as my apt is prewired for magnet -just a matter of activating/deactivating the line. Just rang them there is a 50 euro cancellation fee if you cancel in the first twelve months ??!! Is that not the same as a 12 month contract. And considering u can get cheaper services (provided you don't need super speeds/ download limits) whats the point!

• Advertisement

Kathyo wrote: »
    Is that not the same as a 12 month contract.

No, not at all. For breaking a contract you are normally charged the full monthly rate for every month left on the contract. So, if you cancelled in month 2 of a 12 month contract, it would be 10 x €40 to cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

2.4 Minimum Period of Service
    The Minimum Period of Service for the basic Package is thirty (30) days starting from
    the date we activate the Services unless otherwise specified in the signed order form
    and the Minimum Period of Service for all other Services will be specified as part of
    the relevant Package terms (if any)
    (“Minimum Period of Service”).
    2.5 Cancellation
    Once the Minimum Period of Service is over, you can end the Service by giving us
    one (1) month’s notice in writing at any time. Please email cancellations@magnet.ie
    or fax 01 681 0005 marked for the attention of Cancellation Department or post to
    Cancellation Department, Magnet Networks, International Exchange Centre,
    Clonshaugh, Dublin 17. Termination requests over the telephone are not sufficient.
    A cancellation fee of €50 will be applied to your final invoice.If Magnet
    Entertainment receives a request from another provider to port your telephone number
    this will be deemed to be a terminating event and you will be liable for the
    cancellation fees as outlined above and all outstanding charges

Link here: https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Simply_Broadband_Terms.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25 boozezela

I know this is an old thread, but it seems that T&C have been changed without informing the customers.

I have found a copy of the T&C for Novembre 2011 (and snapshopt of the old site from the internet way back machine), that seems to apply to all Magnet's products.

Is there a T&C document for 2011 exclusively for the Simply Broadband package?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The new T&Cs say that, even after the first year, you must give a month's notice before terminating the contract. Doing a normal "port" of your number does not constitute a month's notice, and will incur a charge.

So how would a person move to another provider? Is it impossible to port? If I give Magnet a month's notice, how to I coordinate that with another provider? What happens to my phone line, in that gap between leaving magnet and signing up with another provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butadoo

Hi Where did you find the old t&c?
    can you post a link? or pm me as i have a problem cancelling.
    Had signed the contract with them a year ago when there was a cancelling charge of 100€ within first year and no cancellation fee after.

thanks

Advertisement