Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the benefit of HRMs with Garmin GPS watches?

• 11-01-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm strongly considering buying one of Garmin's GPS running watches.

All of these watches have the option of working with a heart rate monitor, which costs an extra €30 - €60. I am totally ignorant when it comes to HRMs - Can someone please explain the benefits of using one?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

PGL wrote: »
    Hi folks

All of these watches have the option of working with a heart rate monitor, which costs an extra €30 - €60. I am totally ignorant when it comes to HRMs - Can someone please explain the benefits of using one?

Many thanks!
    You can buy the watch without the HRM, and then pick up a HRM at a later stage (when you know what purpose they serve). Essentially the HRM is a strap that you wear around your mid-riff that monitors your heart rate, and sends this information to the watch. You can then train based on specific heart rate zones, or heart rate goals, or just monitor your heart rate for each type of run.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Gerry Hat Trick

sweatshop.co.uk seems to have an offer on this week if you're interested
    Forerunner 110 for £75 or £125/130 with

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/details.cfm?ProdID=5426&utm_campaign=2012-01-10_Garmin&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Amazon have the 405cx which includes a heart rate monitor for £128.28(it says £125.15 on the website but because of our vat it works out at the higher http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-405CX-Sports-Watch/dp/B0025UHKNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326305994&sr=8-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

You can buy the watch without the HRM, and then pick up a HRM at a later stage (when you know what purpose they serve). Essentially the HRM is a strap that you wear around your mid-riff that monitors your heart rate, and sends this information to the watch. You can then train based on specific heart rate zones, or heart rate goals, or just monitor your heart rate for each type of run.

What is the benefit of heart rate goals, as opposed to distance or time goals?

There seems to be very good value on amazon.co.uk, and handtec.co.uk.

I haven't bought products from uk sites such as these. For those who have, can you tell me if I would be liable for any sort of import taxes when the package arrives in this country?

thanks

• Advertisement

What is the benefit of heart rate goals, as opposed to distance or time goals?
    That's not really a question for the Gear and Equipment forum, but generally speaking, you would train based on specific heart rate goals in tandem with distance or time (e.g. Keep HR at 80% of max for 5 miles). If you want to know more, it's time to do some reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheRunningDude

Hi folks

Many thanks!

It's just a different approach to training, one which I think works very well (for me anyway).

If you want to follow some kind of plan, it can be difficult to set pacing for yourself. Obviously, one person will have to work harder (or easier) than another to run the same difference. You can use pacings such as those based on the VDOT system which are generally quite good. However, even these may not take into account other factors which may mean that the effort level needed to run the same distance at the same pace may vary from week to week due to overtraining, elevation gain and various other aspects. Heart rate is a very good indicator of how hard your body is actually working.

Google 'heart rate zone training'...The general goal is that you gradually increase, over time, the speed you can maintain for the same heart rate...

There seems to be very good value on amazon.co.uk, and handtec.co.uk.

I haven't bought products from uk sites such as these. For those who have, can you tell me if I would be liable for any sort of import taxes when the package arrives in this country?

thanks

can anyone shed light on my question?

thanks!

can anyone shed light on my question?

thanks!
    My understanding is that when buying goods from the UK, you are not liable for import duties as they are a member state of the EU.

Amazon.co.uk = no
    Handtec.co.uk = I presume no also.

If of course Handtec ship from some remote Island that is no part of the UK sovereignty then you might, but I presume they ship from the UK also. Essentially, as long as they are registered/ship from the EU you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheRunningDude

No you wouldn't be liable as the goods are shipping from within the EU.

• Advertisement

thanks Krusty and RunningDude

I would prefer to shop local, and would do if Irish prices were close, but it appears there is much better value in the UK....

Advertisement