Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room viewings

Options
  • 11-01-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

I told my owner-occupier landlord last night I'm moving out in a month. I should maybe mention that there was no lease/contract in place, but I'm still giving him a full months notice (i.e. I'm paying him rent for the next month, but will be moving out earlier than that.)

I got a text just now informing me that two people will be viewing my room between 6 and 6.30 tonight. As he well knows, I'm working at the moment and won't be home before then.

My room is currently a bit of a mess. Not dirty or anything, just messy, and not exactly ready for viewing.

Can he do this for the next month? Just bring randomers in whenever he wants to? I mean, I do have valuables etc there. I really want to leave things on as good terms as possible ... would just like to get an idea of what is reasonable and what isn't?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As a licensee or lodger you have very few rights. You do not have "exclusive" use of your room or any room in the property. Therefore you cannot shut the landlord completely out, but at the same time, the landlord must respect your privacy.

The landlord is entitled to enter the room without notice but always with regard to the lodger’s right to privacy

A lodger has the right to ‘quiet enjoyment’. This means that he or she has the right to use the property for which he or she has the licence without unnecessary or unreasonable interference.

Although a written lodger agreement is not legally required, a live-in landlord should use one because it sets out very clearly what is and is not required of the lodger in his home.

If your landlord succeeds in finding a new lodger, before you leave then you should request a return of your rent, on a pro rata basis.

Did you pay a deposit?

Under normal circumstances, the notice period for either lodger or landlord is usually the same length as the rent period - normally weekly or monthly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

redz11 wrote: »
    I told my owner-occupier landlord last night I'm moving out in a month. I should maybe mention that there was no lease/contract in place, but I'm still giving him a full months notice (i.e. I'm paying him rent for the next month, but will be moving out earlier than that.)

I got a text just now informing me that two people will be viewing my room between 6 and 6.30 tonight. As he well knows, I'm working at the moment and won't be home before then.

My room is currently a bit of a mess. Not dirty or anything, just messy, and not exactly ready for viewing.

Can he do this for the next month? Just bring randomers in whenever he wants to? I mean, I do have valuables etc there. I really want to leave things on as good terms as possible ... would just like to get an idea of what is reasonable and what isn't?
    You are a member of his household and have the rights deriving from the agreement between you when you moved in. You should keep the room tidy. Many people seek accommodation well in advance of when they wish to move in so it suits them to see a room they won't be expected to pay for a week or two ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

You are a member of his household and have the rights deriving from the agreement between you when you moved in. You should keep the room tidy. Many people seek accommodation well in advance of when they wish to move in so it suits them to see a room they won't be expected to pay for a week or two ahead.

Of course. But that's not really anything to do with me?

What I'm asking is what's reasonable in this situation.

For example, would it be reasonable for me to suggest that I leave the room vacant for viewing, say every Tuesday and Wednesday for the next month?

I am still paying rent, after all. He can't have people in every night of the week, can he?!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

redz11 wrote: »
    Of course. But that's not really anything to do with me?

What I'm asking is what's reasonable in this situation.

For example, would it be reasonable for me to suggest that I leave the room vacant for viewing, say every Tuesday and Wednesday for the next month?

I am still paying rent, after all. He can't have people in every night of the week, can he?!

Surely this has to be by prior arrangement eg at least 24 hrs notice, and when mutually convenient? So no he cannot just turn up. Or dictate like this.

Your offer is more than generous and you need to be there also.

The room is your home. How you keep it is totally your affair and your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Graces7 wrote: »
    Surely this has to be by prior arrangement eg at least 24 hrs notice, and when mutually convenient? So no he cannot just turn up. Or dictate like this.

Your offer is more than generous and you need to be there also.

The room is your home. How you keep it is totally your affair and your choice.

The room is your home, yes; but in another person's private home. It is the owner of the home who makes the rules. As I said in post #2, the licensee does not have exclusive use of the room.

The OP is a licensee /lodger and NOT a tenant. He is invited into the owner's home under licence. A licensee has slightly more than zero rights and a live-in landlord has the ultimate say in what happens within his/her private home.

If a landlord wants to show a prospective lodger a room that is untidy/dirty/smelly/etc then that is his/her privilege, but IMO is less likely to rent out the room. However, that is the owner's choice. Personally (and I have been both a lodger and live-in landlord), I would make arrangements with my lodger as to when viewings would be best made. However, the choice of the OP's landlord is different. That is his/her decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should keep the room tidy.
    Of course, we should all keep our rooms tidy, but it is unreasonable to show a room to a third party without agreement or at least proper notice. Not least that it gives the prospective tenants a bad image of what the landlord will do to them if they move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Ideally the landlord (whether you're a tenant or licensee) should give you adequate notice that they are planning to show the room, which will allow you time to tidy it and move any valuables. In fairness, it's to the landlord's benefit that they do this as a messy room isn't very appealing to prospective tenants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MAGGIEMAY197

Hi,

In relation to this thread - I'm an owner occupier and find my current lodger who is moving out causing me difficulty for me to show the room.
    He has asked that I don't show it without him being there and isn't all that available to be there it seems which has caused me one potential new housemate. I obviously don't want this to continue so is it fair that I say I can't agree to these terms as much as I'd like to but I'l give you 24 hrs notice prior to when I'll be showing the room and regret if you can't be there?

Thanks
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Consider agreeing days and times, e.g. Tuesday and Thursday 7-9pm and Saturday 2-5pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I think it's reasonable he gives more notice, but as stated above he's not breaking any laws. So basically, tough ****. Sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement