Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orange juice prices hit record

• 11-01-2012 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16500773

Traders say the main reasons are safety concerns about juice from Brazil, the world's largest producer of orange juice, and cold weather in Florida.
    The US Food and Drug Administration said carbendazim, a fungicide, has been found in shipments from Brazil.

With all the doom & gloom threads around I thought I would bring us back to the Important things in life,There is more info in the link above :)Wonder what the orange order thinks of this development :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

For those of you who want to read the article.

Classic case of where watching paint dry is more exciting than certain news pieces.

Although I can't be the only one that immediately thought of Trading Places before opening the thread.
    Orange juice prices hit record

More than half the world's orange juice comes from Brazil
    Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories

Food costs make political agenda
    Brazil feels the squeeze in juice war
    Commodity prices fall on slowdown
    The price of orange juice on the global markets has hit a record high, after surging over the past few days.

Traders say the main reasons are safety concerns about juice from Brazil, the world's largest producer of orange juice, and cold weather in Florida.

The US Food and Drug Administration said carbendazim, a fungicide, has been found in shipments from Brazil.

Orange juice has risen by about 25% since the beginning of the year, to $2.12 a pound.

Carbendazim is banned in the US, but is used legally in Brazil to treat black spot, a type of mould that grows on trees.

"Consumption of carbendazim at the low levels that have been reported does not raise safety concerns," the FDA said in a letter published on its website.

The FDA said any orange juice which could be a risk to the public would be removed from supermarket shelves.

The FDA said it would "deny entry to shipments that test positive for carbendazim".

Damaged crop

That is what has spooked the market.

In 2010-11, Brazil produced more than half of the world's orange juice, according to figures from the US Department of Agriculture.

Continue reading the main story
    Orange juice production

Brazil: 1,440,000 tonnes
    US: 645,000 tonnes
    Mexico: 85,000 tonnes
    EU: 73,000 tonnes
    Source: US Department of Agriculture Foreign Agricultural Service, 2011

"We could have quite a shortage of product on the global market," Michael Smith, the president of T&K Futures and Options based in Florida, told the BBC World Service.

The US is the second-largest producer of orange juice, with production mainly concentrated in Florida.

A few days of cold weather in Florida has led to ice being found in some fruit and damage to tree leaves.

"We had two nights in parts of Florida where we had below zero temperatures. That will definitely cause damage," said Mr Smith.

The market for orange juice is relatively small, compared with other commodities such as coffee and cocoa.

So large price movements can happen suddenly, say analysts, but Tuesday's was regarded as dramatic.

"If we take Brazilian OJ out of the market, it has not reached its peak certainly. We're in uncharted waters," said James Cordier, president of Liberty Trading Group in Florida.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is that you "Billy Ray" Valentine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

What's orange juice? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

This morning as I was drinking my orange juice, I thought if I was to die, I would die a happy man. I thought, and this is absolutely true, that this is what life is all about. **** your iPad, **** your internet, **** all the stupid and pointless things that I tell myself I want. I was drinking the juice of an orange and I was more content with my life than I had been in quite some time. Orange juice is truly amazing. Not from concentrate. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

Turn those machines back on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

OJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

YFlyer wrote: »
    OJ

Aah yer man who killed that woman in the 90s and got off. I'm with you now :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

YFlyer wrote: »
    OJ
    Isn't he in jail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Duke & Duke will be delighted. Mortimer, we're back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Breaking news: Brazil has threatened to cut off its orange juice supply if sanction persist.

Is this WW3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Breaking news: Brazil has threatened to cut off its orange juice supply if sanction persist.

Is this WW3?

And the orange order are on stand by :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Get me Beeks! Where's Beeks?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Isn't he in jail?

Are you saying he did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is this WW3?

If we don't stop not buying it they'll start not selling it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

This explains why we have cabbage juice in the fridge now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

trading places - one of the funniest films ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

It looks like fanta
    But it's not fanta !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

trading places - one of the funniest films ever made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zsocoyMftI&feature=related

I can see, I have legs LOL LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Just wait until we hit peak orange, then you'll see chaos on the streets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

How are pork bellies doing though?

Advertisement