Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's kind of mental that BO2 has sold more than Assassins Creed 3, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Hitman and Resi 4 combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Kiith wrote: »
    It's kind of mental that BO2 has sold more than Assassins Creed 3, Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Hitman and Resi 4 combined.

One of the big issues is everyone has it. I've played regularly with roughly the same group since Blops 1 (maybe about 10-15 of us). While we've played other games COD is the one we all comeback to most often for MP.
    Borderlands 2 was great co-op but some of them had maxed everything in about two weeks and we had to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Kiith wrote: »

It's not really that surprising - I mean, it's a very established multiplatform franchise which as consistently given it's massive fanbase exactly what they've asked for.
    And on top of that it's a legitimately good game with a well crafted multiplayer mode to boot.

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if it didn't sell as well as it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's not a bad game either
    I've unfortunately not gotten a chance to play it yet but yea, from what I've heard it's actually a damn good game too.

I'm not gona lie though, this did scare the **** out of me. :o
    Ok, but....
    When has this ever not been the case?
    Games, like every other entertainment medium is very much trend driven, it's not really a bad thing.
    It's just a the way things are and have always been.
    It's more so what they're aping and what they wish to achieve from it, rather than the fact they're doing it at all, that I have an issue with. There seems to be this belief that if they apply the perk and RPG-lite mechanics present in the CoD series to their games then their retention rate (and the subsequent expansion in player base that comes with it) will just magically appear. The problem being of course is that their core game just isn't up to scratch and no amount of bolting on of such mirrored functionality will improve things. What I find I'm then generally left with is unnecessary multiplayer modes in games which don't require them, which bring absolutely nothing new to the table and which are veritable ghost towns within weeks of launch.

So in retrospect, it's not the fact that BLOPS2 has sold so much that I find depressing, more so what I feel some publishers will do with said figures.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not really that surprising - I mean, it's a very established multiplatform franchise which as consistently given it's massive fanbase exactly what they've asked for.
    And on top of that it's a legitimately good game with a well crafted multiplayer mode to boot.

Oh i knew it was a massive seller, i just didn't realise how much more, compared to the likes of Halo, it sold. I'd always thought Halo was a massive seller. And i guess it is, just not in comparison to the CoD games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

gizmo wrote: »
    I've unfortunately not gotten a chance to play it yet but yea, from what I've heard it's actually a damn good game too.

I'm not gona lie though, this did scare the **** out of me. :o

Christ....

it
    just
    keeps
    going.....
    It's more so what they're aping and what they wish to achieve from it, rather than the fact they're doing it at all, that I have an issue with. There seems to be this belief that if they apply the perk and RPG-lite mechanics present in the CoD series to their games then their retention rate (and the subsequent expansion in player base that comes with it) will just magically appear. The problem being of course is that their core game just isn't up to scratch and no amount of bolting on of such mirrored functionality will improve things. What I find I'm then generally left with is unnecessary multiplayer modes in games which don't require them, which bring absolutely nothing new to the table and which are veritable ghost towns within weeks of launch.

So in retrospect, it's not the fact that BLOPS2 has sold so much that I find depressing, more so what I feel some publishers will do with said figures.

Yeah, but that's just how this industry (and so many others) is - it's part of the reason that last summer the cinema had the theme of "Aliens V Goddamn near everyone".

I mean, I guess what I'm getting from this is "bad games are made and that's not good" which isn't incorrect or anything, but I don't find it depressing.

Aping the CoD model will generate some financial success for the less inspired titles, sure, but it also opens the door for other people to actually build on the ideas they're taking inspiration from.
    ME3 springs to mind here.

I mean, I guess you could make the argument that multi player modes being added to games could decrease the quality of the single player part, but unless you've got a really small team then that's kind of a half truth at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Blizzard certainly know how to make cinematics !!
    New opening cinematic just released for SC2 : HOS

The Ultralisks look amazing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd pay very good money for Blizzard to start making Starcraft movies; that was bloody amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Nody wrote: »
    I'd pay very good money for Blizzard to start making Starcraft movies; that was bloody amazing!

Same here, they've always made excellent fmv, just never enough of it.

Wind Waker HD just announced for Wii-U via Nintendo Direct.

The internet is about to break. :pac:

Note: New Mario Kart too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Wind Waker HD just announced for Wii-U via Nintendo Direct.

The internet is about to break. :pac:

Note: New Mario Kart too...
    That is quite possibly the most exciting news I've heard..EVER!
    Dont have a Wii U and wasn't planning on getting it but this has certainly piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Great game.

Had the special edition of that for my GameCube, it came with a copy of Ocarina of Time included.
    Best purchase ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

BizzyC wrote: »
    Great game.

Had the special edition of that for my GameCube, it came with a copy of Ocarina of Time included.
    Best purchase ever....
    Did you get the master quest disc too with that? Still have mine too.

The Elder Scrolls Online are taking signups for their upcoming beta.

http://signup.elderscrollsonline.com/

also, this fmv beats the heart of the swarm fmv imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I disagree Degras; the HoTS tells a story while this looks very generic and in fact like a copy of the Warhammer Online one with out the jokes.

says a lot about judging books by covers, and i've learned since the early days of fmv from the likes of the original c&c to never judge a game by it's fmv.

Blizzard do genuinely have some truly brilliant fmv, and i'm not disputing that the HotS one is excellent, i just though that TesO one was better. You're right though, little to no story.. but then what opening sequence ever has? They're just there to set the stage. I'm still impressed by it and by HotS. But i wont be buying another blizzard title this year. SC is way to pvp for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dragon's Dogma is to get an expansion pack at the end of April, and Capcom are strongly considering a sequel, according to Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-gets-april-release-date-6402804

The expansion is called Dark Arisen and is "offering a new environment with over 25 additional enemies, 100 bits of equipment including high-level weapons and armour, augments and increased customisation options. Players will also be able to select the original Japanese audio.

Dark Arisen will also include improvements to the general gameplay experience, such as easier travel and a refined menu, and will allow players to bring across their pre-existing Dragon's Dogma save.

Anyone who already owns Dragon's Dogma will receive 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones, and the Gransys Armour Pack which features six new costumes."

And there's a bit of a trailer here (that doesn't really show anything):

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

PS 4 specs leaked

•System Memory: 8GB
    •Video Memory: 2.2 GB
    •CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
    •GPU: AMD R10xx
    •Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
    •Drive: Blu-Ray
    •HDD: 160GB
    •Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388007/ps4-specs-new-controller-and-account-system-reportedly-leaked/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can't imagine the HDD to only be 160GB, especially with PS3 Slims having 500GB, 360s having 250GB and more of a move towards downloadable games and DLC. I'd say we'd be seeing at least 500GB again, maybe with a 250GB option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Penn wrote: »
    Can't imagine the HDD to only be 160GB, especially with PS3 Slims having 500GB, 360s having 250GB and more of a move towards downloadable games and DLC. I'd say we'd be seeing at least 500GB again, maybe with a 250GB option

It's a dev unit.

If this is true then this is only what devs are using, a real console won't have a hdd that small or a second Ethernet port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And think someone said before the dev units have double the memory of what will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not that relevant to gaming but Robin Sachs died, he was the voice of Zaeed in mass effect and did other work for Bioware as well as a few other games/films/TV/stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

humanji wrote: »
    Dragon's Dogma is to get an expansion pack at the end of April, and Capcom are strongly considering a sequel, according to Gamespot.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-gets-april-release-date-6402804

The expansion is called Dark Arisen and is "offering a new environment with over 25 additional enemies, 100 bits of equipment including high-level weapons and armour, augments and increased customisation options. Players will also be able to select the original Japanese audio.

Dark Arisen will also include improvements to the general gameplay experience, such as easier travel and a refined menu, and will allow players to bring across their pre-existing Dragon's Dogma save.

Anyone who already owns Dragon's Dogma will receive 100,000 Rift Crystals, unlimited Ferrystones, and the Gransys Armour Pack which features six new costumes."

And there's a bit of a trailer here (that doesn't really show anything):

This game needs to be released on PC. The terrible FPS really stopped me dead in my tracks when i was playing this besides the fact i was really enjoying the gameplay and exploration part of it. Traded the game in shortly after i got to the capital city :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Looks like JJ Abrams is going to be doing either a Portal or Half Life film
    and also a collaborative new game with Valve
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/6/3960102/half-life-portal-movies-jj-abrams-valve
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/6/3961132/j-j-abrams-valve-video-game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Interesting, i can imagine a half life being the first great game based movie :P. Looking forward to more info on the game more so than the film tho tbh.

mashelenibenv-borat-approves-meme-generator-i-am-very-excite-8d6743-jpg_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like the Steam Xi3 Piston Console is not officially from Valve

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-11-valve-backed-xi3-piston-console-starts-at-USD1000

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Skerries wrote: »
    looks like the Steam Xi3 Piston Console is not officially from Valve

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-11-valve-backed-xi3-piston-console-starts-at-USD1000
    That's what I said about in PC building forum. It's unofficial steam box. They just trying to coast on steams name. I would not be surprised to see steam drop them completely as they just taking a piss with putting steam as a main attraction to their product! Constantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That's what I said about in PC building forum. It's unofficial steam box. They just trying to coast on steams name. I would not be surprised to see steam drop them completely as they just taking a piss with putting steam as a main attraction to their product! Constantly!
    And the plot thickens even further, with Xi3 saying that Valve actually invested in Piston and both companies showcased the console in CES '13.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/13/er-ok-xi3-claims-valve-asked-them-to-make-piston/

• Advertisement

From the Gamasutra Twitter...
    Breaking: John Riccitiello steps down as CEO of Electronic Arts. More to follow.

:eek:

EDIT: More info here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement