Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bambi wrote: »
    And yet here you are, telling us all about it :D
    Were they not just telling us why they don't get it, as opposed to saying they find it appealing? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Billy86 wrote: »
    Were they not just telling us why they don't get it, as opposed to saying they find it appealing? :confused:

If you don't get something then putting forth views as to how to make it work is pretty daft, I don't get anime or P&P roleplaying. I don't like these things so I'm the worst person to put forth an opinion on how to make them successful.

Saying that something like Duke Nukem needs to be some snarky, ironic parody of itself is a prime example. That was never the appeal to it's audience

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you don't get something then putting forth views as to how to make it work is pretty daft, I don't get anime or P&P roleplaying. I don't like these things so I'm the worst person to put forth an opinion on how to make them successful.

Saying that something like Duke Nukem needs to be some snarky, ironic parody of itself is a prime example. That was never the appeal to it's audience

Yeah but what you're saying is someone who likes Anima or P&P shouldn't comment on why they they didn't like a specific anime or P&P and how they might have liked it if it had done something differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

As an expert, enlighten me as to what you think is the appeal of Duke Nukem and what could make him relevant as a movie in 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Like Duke Nukem had an "Audience" that wasn't just there for guns, bewbs and explosions :pac:
    It was the 90's, thats all it was and all it needed to be to get attention and playtime.
    Let's not pretend it was some bastion of lore and social commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They could just let Duke be Duke in the movie and have everyone else react accordingly. I mean, it's not like Johnny Bravo, as ERG89 mentioned above, ever really got the girl with his antics. Pair him with a co-star like Ronda Rousey or Gina Carano as an EDF soldier and you could get some laughs with him getting chucked around when he gets too...Duke.

Ultimately it'll come down to the writing but if Deadpool can get away with his brand of juvenile humour on the big screen, I can't see why Duke couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As an expert, enlighten me as to what you think is the appeal of Duke Nukem and what could make him relevant as a movie in 2018?

I'm not an expert though but I can tell you that if you take the elements of a franchise that appealed to it's audience and **** all over them just because they make you purse your lips in disapproval then success rarely follows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm not an expert though but I can tell you that if you take the elements of a franchise that appealed to it's audience and **** all over them just because they make you purse your lips in disapproval then success rarely follows :)

What makes you think it makes me purse my lips in disapproval? I just find it insipid and unfunny, I'm not offended by it. I couldn't think of a more dispiriting cinematic experience than watching some lughead walking around occasionally shouting 'Damn Right! That's my kind of party! It's time to chew gum and kick ass and I'm all out of gum!' while shooting some badly rendered CGI aliens. If that floats your boat, have at it.

It actually did make part of the appeal to it's audience, I can tell you that because I was part of it's audience. If a 10 year old boy could see that, I'd worry about a teenager or adult playing it back then thinking "damn I'm so cool" without a hint of irony to the situation. It was completely, shamelessly over the top and quite regularly played for laughs. Also to add that making changes on adaptations has been quite a regular thing for a long, long time which I reckon would be the case here because truth be told, Duke Nukem isn't exactly a franchise that's got the clout to to set box office alight on it's own these days.

Basically I'm figuring they'll be "basing a movie around" the DN franchise rather than trying to do be particularly faithful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Billy86 wrote: »
    It actually did make part of the appeal to it's audience, I can tell you that because I was part of it's audience. If a 10 year old boy could see that, I'd worry about a teenager or adult playing it back then thinking "damn I'm so cool" without a hint of irony to the situation. It was completely, shamelessly over the top and quite regularly played for laughs. Also to add that making changes on adaptations has been quite a regular thing for a long, long time which I reckon would be the case here because truth be told, Duke Nukem isn't exactly a franchise that's got the clout to to set box office alight on it's own these days.

Basically I'm figuring they'll be "basing a movie around" the DN franchise rather than trying to do be particularly faithful.
    You say that but like...

:pac:

Ha, never heard of those games until Googling them on the back of your post... but I can tell you what the main selling point there is, and it's right in the middle of the Youtube screencap, and it's not John Cena. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was never anything clever about duke nukem. Even in 3D everyone of his lines was taken from a movie verbatim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The whole point of Duke Nukem, like Doom, is that it was a stupid, fun, pointless, over-the-top, highly exaggerated, Macho shoot'em up.

Any movie made, especially featuring Mr Clean Cut Cena, will entirely miss the point and end up being a total, miserable and unfunny failure.

Duke was a being of the 90's. Just leave it die as a good memory, unless it'll just go the way of the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it would be like making a Leisure Suit Larry movie now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Skerries wrote: »

Leisure Suit Larry is tamer than some of the dross coming out of Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Like Duke Nukem had an "Audience" that wasn't just there for guns, bewbs and explosions :pac:

It had an audience that were fans of the original, that didn't have much resemblance to the 3D games...

duke11.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

New Dragon Age is well underway apparently. I know a lot of people didn't like Inquisition (which i really enjoyed) or Andromeda (which i mostly enjoyed), but i'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

https://www.pcgamesn.com//dragon-age-4/new-dragon-age-game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Just give us what we really want a Streets of Rage movie and maybe Terminator vs Robocop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kiith wrote: »
    New Dragon Age is well underway apparently. I know a lot of people didn't like Inquisition (which i really enjoyed) or Andromeda (which i mostly enjoyed), but i'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

https://www.pcgamesn.com//dragon-age-4/new-dragon-age-game

Still need to finish both, and I loved everything else they've made. Was even fine with the ending for ME3.

Was playing the first ME game on Xbox and started to have trouble controlling my aim, then realised it wasn't the game it was my hands as it was 5am in December and I was freezing.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »

#metoo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just give us what we really want a Streets of Rage movie and maybe Terminator vs Robocop.
    My mind instantly went to KUNG FURY :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, indeed, it was all those identity politics people that destroyed neogaf, along with all those lefty mods.

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was accused of sexual harassment and the fact that his reputation meant most people believe the woman instead.

Reminds me of Scooby-Doo, "I would have got away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Did anything come from the accusation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

J. Marston wrote: »
    Did anything come from the accusation?

No. Unfortunately, it was one of those he said, she said things, where there's no real proof of anything. People that knew him chose to believe her over him, hence the walkout by staff and mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, it was all those identity politics people that destroyed neogaf, along with all those lefty mods.

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he was accused of sexual harassment and the fact that his reputation meant most people believe the woman instead.

Reminds me of Scooby-Doo, "I would have got away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids."

Went downhill before that, that just put the final nail as mods started mass banning and censoring any posts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There is a rumour going around that google are looking into making a console. How true that is, is anybody's guess. If true it's probably going to be some low end set top box that plays google play store games or I am totally wrong and they start selling a rival console.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

There is a rumour going around that google are looking into making a console. How true that is, is anybody's guess. If true it's probably going to be some low end set top box that plays google play store games or I am totally wrong and they start selling a rival console.

The former may be more of a possibility. I'd be surprised if Google would go on and challenge the console juggernauts.

Again, I have no expectations around this rumour, and I will take it with a pinch of salt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement