Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The former may be more of a possibility. I'd be surprised if Google would go on and challenge the console juggernauts.

Again, I have no expectations around this rumour, and I will take it with a pinch of salt.

80% - it's just another android box, that plays android games with controller.

10% - it's some sort of switch clone.

9.8% - it's pre built pc, with focus on chrome os, but like steam big picture.

0.2% - it's an actual new console to compete with big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

We dont need another console, unless its Sega.....Xbox can fuck off too, unnecessary console presence

Everyone benefits from extra competition though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They'll just dust off the Ouya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Some of the names being thrown around as possible acquisitions by Microsoft are, frankly, astounding, even unthinkable. But the fact that they are doing the rounds is instructive. The most recent one we heard (from a reliable source close to Microsoft) was, in fact, Electronic Arts. We also heard a whisper about Valve and about Korean outfit PUBG Corp., which Microsoft last year signed to a timed exclusive for its hit survival shooter, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft

I was sort of idly thinking they'd make FIFA exclusive but they wouldn't cos that would be silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

nix wrote: »
    We dont need another console, unless its Sega.....Xbox can fuck off too, unnecessary console presence

I like all my Xbox consoles. Xbox, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Valve rumour knocked around before, dont see gaben going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

PSN down for days. Yeah, I kind of think Xbox is necessary :D

I know Fifa community were happy to have Xbox last weekend ;)

https://twitter.com/Futhead/status/957683807070638083

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can't see it being an Android device as said above the Ouya tried and failed miserably like Valves Steam box

maybe it would be more of a media device with game streaming capabilities?

PSN down for days. Yeah, I kind of think Xbox is necessary

Cause Xbox Live never has issues.

I've had no real issues with the PSN in recent days. Monster Hunter been running like a dream and playing online, something which is proving problematic on the Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Monster Hunter been running like a dream and playing online, something which is proving problematic on the Xbox.

That tends to be the case when devs have 3 betas on 1 platform and 0 on another...

Wouldn't exactly be a system fault.

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    That tends to be the case when devs have 3 betas on 1 platform and 0 on another...

Not saying it is but plenty of games launch without multiple betas and don't have issues such as this. My point was that saying one console is better than the other because its more reliable is a little pointless when the console you're championing is having issues itself.

I've not had a single issue with the PSN this past week, well nothing beyond a short spell where the friends list wouldn't load.

Well my meaning is that PS and xbox pretty much mirror their games released, in terms of exclusives, playstation release alot, xbox do not so.. Xbox should just feck off and put halo and gears of war on steam.

Then maybe id accept another console with open arms, provided its going to release unique exclusive games like PS and Nintendo and not another boring why are you even here in the first place xbox..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well my meaning is that PS and xbox pretty much mirror their games released, in terms of exclusives, playstation release alot, xbox do not so.. Xbox should just feck off and put halo and gears of war on steam.

Then maybe id accept another console with open arms, provided its going to release unique exclusive games like PS and Nintendo and not another boring why are you even here in the first place xbox..

MS will never put games on Steam sure they have their own Windows store.

• Cause Xbox Live never has issues.

I've had no real issues with the PSN in recent days. Monster Hunter been running like a dream and playing online, something which is proving problematic on the Xbox.

PSN has been a consistant mess from a security perspective over the years

And PSN has been up down for about a week now

It's not good enough

Xbox live hasn't had 1 problem I can think off over the last 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Cause Xbox Live never has issues.

Have you been on the PS4 the last week? 😂

My young lad looks 50 years of age from raging tearing his hair out because psn is constantly down!!!!

You opening a very deep can of worms here, m8. I love my xbox one x and it comes from someone who has all current gaming devices.

Ps4 exclusives are better, pc is just pc, its awesome, but right now I am in bed, playing witcher 3 60ish fps on my xbox one x and happy as pig in ****.
    Xbox has game pass, which in near future might be a very very good service. Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes netflix of gaming, thx to MS adding their first party titles in it. It will boost subscriptions and help add more and better games.

Competition is always great and right now I see all 3 big consoles giving something really good in their own way.

M!Ck^ wrote:
    PSN has been a consistant mess from a security perspective over the years

Sure years back there were some issues but nothing major for years. Or are you one of those people who think that every time an account is hacked its Sony's fault.
    M!Ck^ wrote:
    And PSN has been up down for about a week now

I've had no issues with it. In fact plenty of people on here and else where haven't had any issues.
    M!Ck^ wrote:
    Xbox live hasn't had 1 problem I can think off over the last 2-3 years

Its had plenty of issues over the last two years, this week alone there were issues with the new Dragonball Z game and Monster Hunter.
    Have you been on the PS4 the last week? 😂

Been playing plenty and no issues beyond the friends lost not loading up one evening.

Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes netflix of gaming, thx to MS adding their first party titles in it. It will boost subscriptions and help add more and better games.

I like gamepass and play a decent amount of titles on it but most of the games on it aren't that great and saying that it could be the Netflix of gaming due to MS adding first party titles is nonsense. MS release what, 3 exclusives a year, hardly anything to get excited for. Sure its going to be a nice bonus getting Sea of Thieves and others on it but if you're waiting for first party titles you'll be waiting a long time between releases. If MS want gamepass to be the Netflix of gaming then they are going to have to change how they do business, if it's not available on PC and PS4 then it won't ever come close to Netflix. Plenty of publishers have their own on demand streaming services in the pipeline and the major stumbling block so far is getting it cross platform.

Single releases is going to be a thing of the past within a decade, it's going to all online streaming and while I like the idea in theory I can't help but hope that psychical releases and individual releases are still a thing. I don't like the idea of having to sign up to a service to play a game, especially if I'm only interested in one or two games and not the whole slate.

You opening a very deep can of worms here, m8. I love my xbox one x and it comes from someone who has all current gaming devices.

Ps4 exclusives are better, pc is just pc, its awesome, but right now I am in bed, playing witcher 3 60ish fps on my xbox one x and happy as pig in ****.
    Xbox has game pass, which in near future might be a very very good service. Wouldn't be surprised if it becomes netflix of gaming, thx to MS adding their first party titles in it. It will boost subscriptions and help add more and better games.

Competition is always great and right now I see all 3 big consoles giving something really good in their own way.

Can you not do that with the witcher on your pc? I can, and alot better looking than an xbox one x ;).

I'm not trying to swing this into the usual console wars debate though, im just saying, that in terms of what each console offers, there isnt room for another, not unless it offers a new game range to what the other competitors offer. Or it will just be another boring xbox, offering mostly the same games later but with better hardware :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Netflix really only became what it is when they started to focus on producing their own content. If MS can get that to work for games then they have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Single releases is going to be a thing of the past within a decade, it's going to all online streaming

Highly unlikely for anything outside of light-weight mobile games if the current trend of ISPs is any indication. Most people just don't have the internet for that kind of thing. For a lot of people it's slow enough as it is just to download the things and have horrible lag online. Not to mention many titles wouldn't be able to turn a profit by being part of a massive streaming service. It's just not a one-size-fits-all thing.

Then there's folk like me, who will practically never go with games as a service even if they have the internet for it, based on principle of license ownership, modding, offline access etc.

Can you not do that with the witcher on your pc? I can, and alot better looking than an xbox one x ;).

I'm not trying to swing this into the usual console wars debate though, im just saying, that in terms of what each console offers, there isnt room for another, not unless it offers a new game range to what the other competitors offer. Or it will just be another boring xbox, offering mostly the same games later but with better hardware :rolleyes:

Thats the thing I can't. I have a decent pc with ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor, but I do have family, so my gaming time is aither limited or restricted to certain times. The 90% of my gaming time is in bed when misses and kiddo sleeping. Xbox right now is more convenient and more accessible gaming device for me. With all its glory, my pc cant compete with that. Unless I spend a fortune on completely silent water cooled build. Even then, in bed you better off with controller, and my **** if I will play pc online shooter with controller.

I love xbox one x right now as for the first time I can play on console and dont feel like I am playing on extremely gimped pc version of a game. That damn xbox is super impressive for the price. And I am pc gamer since I was like 10.

I dont know what google will want to pull off, but I doubt it will be anything bigger then just android box or handheld.

Netflix really only became what it is when they started to focus on producing their own content. If MS can get that to work for games then they have something.

Thats my exact point. If MS injects good quality of their own titles, it will boost subscriptions, then other publishers will be able to see bigger numbers and work better on putting bigger titles on it. Or like Netflix, Ms will pay publishers to put games on game pass as it will generate more revenue.
    Netflix did not got big in one day. They started off small and did right decision to invest in their own shows. Now they can buy any other movie or show and put it on Netflix. Or even better throw even more money and make quality own shows.
    I can see Microsoft making a very important step with that announcement. It will drive subscription up and it will give more money to put more and better games. It wont happen over night though. But if they can pull it off, then game pass will go as standard sub on my credit card like Netflix and spotify.

Meh. They're all PC-lite other than Nintendo. Nintendo are the only one's actually innovating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I like gamepass and play a decent amount of titles on it but most of the games on it aren't that great and saying that it could be the Netflix of gaming due to MS adding first party titles is nonsense. MS release what, 3 exclusives a year, hardly anything to get excited for. Sure its going to be a nice bonus getting Sea of Thieves and others on it but if you're waiting for first party titles you'll be waiting a long time between releases. If MS want gamepass to be the Netflix of gaming then they are going to have to change how they do business, if it's not available on PC and PS4 then it won't ever come close to Netflix. Plenty of publishers have their own on demand streaming services in the pipeline and the major stumbling block so far is getting it cross platform.

Single releases is going to be a thing of the past within a decade, it's going to all online streaming and while I like the idea in theory I can't help but hope that psychical releases and individual releases are still a thing. I don't like the idea of having to sign up to a service to play a game, especially if I'm only interested in one or two games and not the whole slate.

Do you not remember when Netflix was just a bunch of old TV shows and b grade movies?

Single releases will still be a thing but if they are part of a service it removes the volatility of having to sell x million copies or the studio gets shut down. Much like netflix wont release veiwer numbers, gamepass wouldn't be foccusing on individual sales, but the success of the whole package. The studios can take more risks and create more variety in game types.

MS at the moment are shifting from making consoles to software. Expect them to buy up a ton of studios (if not a full actual publisher) to boost their exclusive line up.

MS as always are thinking 5-10 years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Except for the last week or so, the PSN has been fairly bullet proof over the last few years.
    I read somewhere that it was down less often than XBox Live in 2016.
    It's always had a negative image from it's early days and the security hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sure years back there were some issues but nothing major for years. Or are you one of those people who think that every time an account is hacked its Sony's fault.

I've had no issues with it. In fact plenty of people on here and else where haven't had any issues.

Its had plenty of issues over the last two years, this week alone there were issues with the new Dragonball Z game and Monster Hunter.

Been playing plenty and no issues beyond the friends lost not loading up one evening.

I have a Switch, One X and PS4.

I'm in a group chat with a good few of my PS4 friends and lots of them have been having problems connecting this week, haven't logged on myself though because I was collecting power moons in Odyssey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

PSN down a lot this week. Not for long periods but it is annoying as the games I am playing require online. Wish they'd tell us what the problem was. See the EA servers went down yesterday and I saw people on Reddit complaining the X-box was having issues on the Division last week.
    Probably the North Koreans.

• Advertisement

Do you not remember when Netflix was just a bunch of old TV shows and b grade movies?

Single releases will still be a thing but if they are part of a service it removes the volatility of having to sell x million copies or the studio gets shut down. Much like netflix wont release veiwer numbers, gamepass wouldn't be foccusing on individual sales, but the success of the whole package. The studios can take more risks and create more variety in game types.

MS at the moment are shifting from making consoles to software. Expect them to buy up a ton of studios (if not a full actual publisher) to boost their exclusive line up.

MS as always are thinking 5-10 years down the line.

I remember when Netflix first launched and it was a treasure trove of classic films, now you have to seriously search to find a film made before 1980 on there. Netflix, when it launched, was a great little service, sure the pickings were not as good as now but the overall quality of the content was better. It actually had films going back a hundred years instead of loads of modern comedies and blockbusters. Don't get me wrong, I like what Netflix has become but beyond their own content and exclusive content they buy up there's not a lot there of any real worth.

The problem is that a lot of others are thinking a decade ahead, most of the big publishers have their own version of this in the pipeline and most are looking at it as a multiplatform thing, EA are already talking about it and there are multiple interviews with Andrew Wilson in which he talks about moving to a cloud-based subscription service, such as this one. A cross platform streaming service that you can play anywhere seems great in theory but with Net Neutrality in the US in serious danger then this could change rapidly.

As for MS still doing singular releases, they may but they will most likely be digital only given that backlash from so many retailers. Plenty of retailers have seen their Xbox stock become almost worthless overnight with MS new plan, in fact, in some countries, some chains have already stopped stocking Xbox games and others are discussing it.

I think that an all-digital platform is going to be interesting, especially if like with iTunes MS can turn around and remove a game that you have purchased int he past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement