Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I must say, that game would have zero appeal for me but then I'd have no interest in PUBG, Destiny, Overwatch and the like.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,284 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was playing the beta on PC over the weekend and it's a lot fun and not really like anything else I've played. It generated a lot of good will with some of the big twitch streamers too. Only issue I had with it was it seemed a bit empty and there would need to be a lot more content in the final release to keep people coming back.

The above is encouraging though but the source of that tweet wouldn't exactly be impartial when it comes to Microsoft so I won't get too excited just yet. I believe the embargo lifts on the 13th of February so we should find out soon enough.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,284 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought that's coming to PC?

It is but windows store only so you still have to play it through their platform.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It is but windows store only so you still have to play it through their platform.

I understand their thinking with having these games "Windows Store" only, but they really are shooting themselves in the foot with it. A huge amount of players have absolutely no interest in using their shop.

Kiith wrote: »
    I understand their thinking with having these games "Windows Store" only, but they really are shooting themselves in the foot with it. A huge amount of players have absolutely no interest in using their shop.

It's a Windows 10\Xbox exclusive. Why would they release it on other stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Why wouldn't you use the different stores? Seems silly to not buy a game you'd play because it's not available in your favourite store.

The number of people that use the Windows Store over Steam or Origin is tiny. If they want a large player base, it would make a lot of sense to release it there as well. As i said, i get why they don't, but it would definitely increase the number of people playing.

As for not wanting to use a different store, i've already got 4 different storefronts i have to open (Steam, UPlay, Origin and Battlenet) for various games, and i'd rather not get another one.

The number of people that use the Windows Store over Steam or Origin is tiny. If they want a large player base, it would make a lot of sense to release it there as well. As i said, i get why they don't, but it would definitely increase the number of people playing.

As for not wanting to use a different store, i've already got 4 different storefronts i have to open (Steam, UPlay, Origin and Battlenet) for various games, and i'd rather not get another one.

Point being it's an exclusive. Why don't Sony put their exclusives on steam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you use the different stores? Seems silly to not buy a game you'd play because it's not available in your favourite store.

PC folk are a funny old bunch. Id say something if it was a different bricks and mortar store, but they're literally sitting at the machine and have to click a different icon, yet it's a hugely offensive idea to plenty of them.

Point being it's an exclusive. Why don't Sony put their exclusives on steam?

Sony has PS Now on PC and is always expanding it so I would expect to see more and more titles added to it over the coming years.

• Advertisement

I believe there is also something about a Windows store game using different OS libraries and APIs to Win32 games. With code base shared between Xbox and Windows 10 versions. It's not that they made a business decision not to sell in other stores, its that the games would need a different version (or at least a branch of some sort) developed for traditional Win32 platform. It literally is an exclusive, as in it has only been developed for the Windows 10 (which remember includes Xbox) platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There's a difference between Store and platform here, especially when it comes to online games. Sea of Thieves runs on what amounts to the XBox Live backend, hence the Cross Play functionality between PC and console owners. That rules out a Steam version for now and would only, best case scenario, really allow for a Ubisoft/UPlay-esque cross purchase.

On the Steam specific side of things, Killer Instinct was released on the marketplace last year and offers limited support for cross-play between all three platforms so it looks like they're at least working on bringing all of the player bases together in a cleaner way. I wouldn't be holding my breath for SoT getting a similar treatment any time soon.

I believe there is also something about a Windows store game using different OS libraries and APIs to Win32 games. With code base shared between Xbox and Windows 10 versions. It's not that they made a business decision not to sell in other stores, its that the games would need a different version (or at least a branch of some sort) developed for traditional Win32 platform. It literally is an exclusive, as in it has only been developed for the Windows 10 (which remember includes Xbox) platform.

I guess thats why the Halo Wars remaster made it to steam last year but Halo Wars 2 didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

PC folk are a funny old bunch. Id say something if it was a different bricks and mortar store, but they're literally sitting at the machine and have to click a different icon, yet it's a hugely offensive idea to plenty of them.

It's like me saying I want a Chinese but I'm on the local chippers website. Dam Chinese won't sell me Won Tons through the chipper website.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have nothing but respect for Microsoft putting everything on PC, but the Windows Store really is absolute garbage. It's not at all user friendly to navigate compared to any other major digital storefront, the homepage is a confusing jumble of aesthetically unpleasing stuff (like a bad app store), it's notably overpriced compared to equivalent stores, and it is yet another poorly-judged attempt to create a platform that nobody particularly wants or needs. It's especially irritating when you see some MS exclusives like Cuphead or Quantum Break* showing up on Steam anyway.

If there was a game I really wanted and it was only available there, I'd still buy it - I did pick up Forza Horizon 3, and it works fine, and am very interested in Sea of Thieves if it turns out well. It's better to have the games than not have them at all. But Steam is better; Battle.net is better; even bloody Origin is better. The Xbox Live integration is the only thing it has going for it, and that's not enough to justify its existence. A 5th or 6th platform is a pain, especially when it's worse than the other ones. I have no doubt whatsoever they'd find a much larger audience for these games if they abandoned the ambition of controlling their own store and went along with what already works and in some cases works extraordinarily well.

*I originally had this name down as Binary Domain - I apologise for confusing my action game generic titles ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm on PC and don't get it either - there are a bunch of different platforms and to be honest, you could have them all open at the same time, all the time if you wanted. There are some advantages to say Steam because of the silly achievement thingies and that it keeps all your saves in the cloud (I recently found out GOG Galaxy does not for example), but even then you can create a shortcut to your non steam games from within your Steam account in about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I have nothing but respect for Microsoft putting everything on PC, but the Windows Store really is absolute garbage. It's not at all user friendly to navigate compared to any other major digital storefront, it's a confusing jumble of stuff (like a bad app store), it's notably overpriced compared to equivalent stores, and it is yet another poorly-judged attempt to create a platform that nobody particularly wants or needs.

If there was a game I really wanted and it was only available there, I'd still buy it - I did pick up Forza Horizon 3, and it works fine, and am very interested in Sea of Thieves if it turns out well. But Steam is better; Battle.net is better; even bloody Origin is better. A 5th or 6th platform is a pain, especially when it's worse than the other ones. I have no doubt whatsoever they'd find a much larger audience for these games if they abandoned the ambition of controlling their own store and went along with what already works and in some cases works extraordinarily well.

Well said,maybe the console heads should stick to the stuff they know about. Anyone who trys the windows store would immediately come to the above conclusion.

Its easily the most underdeveloped store front on PC.

Anyone who has used their previous gaming platforms would understand why people are hesitant to move over to their new platform. GFWL still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    There's nothing offensive about it. It's just annoying having to use multiple different platforms for your games. It's like every film studio having their own version of Netflix (which is inevitable anyway). It'll work fine, but it'd be a hell of a lot better if it was in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Netflix really only became what it is when they started to focus on producing their own content. If MS can get that to work for games then they have something.

I liked Netflix untill they started forcing all their own crap down my throat. Give me films, not crappy one off drama series!

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well said,maybe the console heads should stick to the stuff they know about. Anyone who trys the windows store would immediately come to the above conclusion.

Its easily the most underdeveloped store front on PC.

Weird, I've used it for a couple of games and it was grand. Once the game is installed you don't even have to interact with the store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Because the last time(s) (4th attempt now) Microsoft forced users to use their **** apps, when they shut them down players couldnt play the games they bought.

So I can agree with anyone who wont purchase SOT or AOE because I certainly wont be using another MSFT app.

I think everyone can agree GWWL was shocking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Many of the major platforms like Uplay, RSC and Origin are just aggressive DRM. They're not just stores, they affect how you're going to be accessing the game. I choose DRM free and minimal DRM when possible. Steam actually sells DRM free games but you still need the client to install them but not always need to be installed/active to play them (although many are). Humble, gog and others sell a lot of DRM free now too. This is why I'm selective where I get my games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RSC?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Varik wrote: »
    RSC?
    Royal Shakespeare Company Rockstar Social Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

GTA4 on Steam deleted my save files, and now I can't play it anymore because of GFWL. It's absolute trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

oh god I just had a look at the MS Store and they have a game called Thief of Seas for 0.24c
    if they can't even keep the copycat dross from their own store what future has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Skerries wrote: »
    oh god I just had a look at the MS Store and they have a game called Thief of Seas for 0.24c
    if they can't even keep the copycat dross from their own store what future has it?

There is one called "The Suicide Forest" there too based on Logan Paul's recent distasteful video.

• Advertisement

Anthem delayed until 2019

No doubt to remove the Battlefront 2 style loot crates and progression mechanics. I hope they take a look at TF2 and learn how progression should work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement