Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm always torn between these sorts of things, I feel there should be a separation of work and person if you're not posting in an official capacity. However the other part of me feels that if you're gonna say trollish sh*t on the internet don't say it with something that links you to the offline world especially if you're tech savvy to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Seems like it was another witch hunt by neogaf's leftovers on resetera. That dev didn't get the memo that you're not allowed to have conservative political opinions. Wrongthink is punishable by unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

He wasn't fired for having conservative political opinions, he was fired for acting like an asshole. Christ, the stuff he came out with is an insult to conservatism.

Not content with posting such guff to a Twitter account linked to his professional work, when asked about his posts by his employers, this was the result...
    Speaking to DANGEROUS, Chylinski says that his employer terminated his position because of the Twitter hate mob, and not for any other reason. He says that following the uproar on ResetERA and Twitter, two of his superiors pulled him aside and asked if he stood for what he wrote on Twitter.

“I said that I honestly didn’t see anything wrong with it,” he said. “I don’t feel like I need to pretend [not to know about statistics and political realities].”

Chylinski says that the issue his superiors took issue with the most was, strangely enough, his tweet about identifying as an attack helicopter.

“They began asking me how I would react if they hired a Muslim or trans person. I said I’d debate them like anyone else on the team if I disagreed with them,” said Chylinski. “They said that this would create an unwelcoming working environment and that they see it as a problem that almost only white men are working there, and they need more diversity and that what I said would make that difficult to achieve.”

Yea, I'm sure HR were really looking forward to the robust debate that would occur with that dude on payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

That quote needs a little more context. The guy might very well be an asshole but him treating a trans/muslim/protected class du jour person the same as everyone else shouldn't be a problem.

Evade wrote: »
    That quote needs a little more context. The guy might very well be an asshole but him treating a trans/muslim/protected class du jour person the same as everyone else shouldn't be a problem.
    Apologies, I've added the previous paragraphs of the article to the original quote to add more context.

Given the content of the tweets themselves and the employers reply, I'd argue it's fairly evident they're referring to the debate that would take place about the people involved themselves rather than anything particularly work related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

gizmo wrote: »
    Given the content of the tweets themselves and the employers reply, I'd argue it's fairly evident they're referring to the debate that would take place about the people involved themselves rather than anything particularly work related.
    Yeah personal attacks in the workplace wouldn't be right but I'm still not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

This whole social media stuff is fascinating in general. remember years ago, you'd hear that someone you looked up to, turned out to be a horrible ar$ehole after you heard stuff they had said in private?

These days, people post whatever thoughts enter their head, on public forums, for the world to see and judge, and then get all upset when they get called out on it. These days all you need to do is look back through someones post history and you can put together a fair approximation of their character

Evade wrote: »
    Yeah personal attacks in the workplace wouldn't be right but I'm still not convinced.
    Not my place to try of course but the way I see it, debating work related matters with people like anyone else on the team if one was to disagree with them couldn't, under any reasonable circumstances, create an unwelcoming working environment. Unless, that is, someone is being disingenuous with their recollection of how the conversation actually took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This whole social media stuff is fascinating in general. remember years ago, you'd hear that someone you looked up to, turned out to be a horrible ar$ehole after you heard stuff they had said in private?

These days, people post whatever thoughts enter their head, on public forums, for the world to see and judge, and then get all upset when they get called out on it. These days all you need to do is look back through someones post history and you can put together a fair approximation of their character
    I am so glad my boards name isn't the same as my Twitter/other forum handles! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

gizmo wrote: »
    Not my place to try of course but the way I see it, debating work related matters with people like anyone else on the team if one was to disagree with them couldn't, under any reasonable circumstances, create an unwelcoming working environment. Unless, that is, someone is being disingenuous with their recollection of how the conversation actually took place.

It seems like he just said he'd call them out if they pushed any of their political agendas at the work place, at least that was my inference from what he wrote. That's fair enough in my book, if people want to bring up politics in the work place they should expect some sort of reaction. Now, I can understand that he seems quite set in his ways and feels strongly about his stance, but that's fair enough unless you cross the line into harassment.

I do think he was a complete idiot for not recognising the current political landscape and posting his thoughts to the internet. It's obviously career suicide nowadays.

I also don't agree with what he said in his tweet. The IQ thing was as dumb as rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^ That's what I inferred as well, they'd debate something if the matter was brought up. I don't see why workplaces have to get involved if someone keeps their head down and does the work they're supposed to do during work hours. Having sh*tty twitter opinions outside of work shouldn't be an issue as long as the business name is kept out of the matter.

I had a parking argument with a millennial couple the other day, said I parked them in (I didn't but whatever). The lady shouted 'This is going on social media!' and then because I use a Dell branded bag (I don't actually work for them) said 'oh I see you work for Dell' intimating she'd somehow tell on me for being rude to my company..... I swear kids nowadays....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm trying to see what's what wrong with the crime and IQ tweet other than IQ seems to be a massive elephant in the room in this sort of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm trying to see what's what wrong with the crime and IQ tweet other than IQ seems to be a massive elephant in the room in this sort of debate.
    Well, you have to assume that it is the IQ mention that is the reason they were sacked, rather than anything else said - could you imagine how difficult it would be to work with someone who you knew held those views? It is easy to say 'oh, as long as they do the work and keep to themselves while in the workplace, I'd have no problem with them' but I'm guessing most of us would feel otherwise if it turns out we were a colleague of someone with abhorrent views.

Very difficult for a B2C employer that relies on public trust and goodwill not to be pressurised when these types of things come to light, whether or not the employee in question tried to keep their employer's name out of it.

Oh for the good old days when most people who you would suspect of being racist, deviant, horrible, etc... kept their opinions and actions to themselves and no-one could ever confirm a thing :) Seems mad to use social media to express any really strong opinions, be they liberal, conservative or whatever in tone!

ionapaul wrote: »
    Well, you have to assume that it is the IQ mention that is the reason they were sacked, rather than anything else said - could you imagine how difficult it would be to work with someone who you knew held those views?

What views though?

It might be unpalatable but none of what he said is particularly inaccurate, IQ levels in most third world countries are poor and jobs for people with IQ's below a certain level are non existent in western countries. It's a viewpoint based on a fairly practical analysis even if you don't like it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ionapaul wrote: »
    Well, you have to assume that it is the IQ mention that is the reason they were sacked, rather than anything else said - could you imagine how difficult it would be to work with someone who you knew held those views?

What views though?

It might be unpalatable but none of what he said is particularly inaccurate, IQ levels in most third world countries are poor and jobs for people with IQ's below a certain level are non existent in western countries. It's a viewpoint based on a fairly practical analysis even if you don't like it

IQ is not based on where you come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

What views though?

I work with a fair few people who would be from what would be classified as 3rd world countries. I'm in software, they're very good at what they do and I can imagine how they'd feel if they discovered a work colleague using a public forum to express views like that.

Also the implication with the trans and Muslim remark appears more so like that he'd feel entitled to debate being trans or Muslim. People should be made uncomfortable in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Must be some real thick tourist wondering around during the test time then. The below would class you as having a learning disability in Ireland.

And where you come from does affect YOU or at least where you spent most of your early life, but not where your parents or grandparents were from. Current level of development of the country is the biggest factor.

36 Antigua and Barbuda 70
    36 Benin 70
    36 Botswana 70
    36 Rwanda 70
    36 Togo 70
    37 Burundi 69
    37 Côte d'Ivoire 69
    37 Ethiopia 69
    37 Malawi 69
    37 Niger 69
    38 Angola 68
    38 Burkina Faso 68
    38 Chad 68
    38 Djibouti 68
    38 Somalia 68
    38 Swaziland 68
    39 Dominica 67
    39 Guinea 67
    39 Guinea-Bissau 67
    39 Haiti 67
    39 Lesotho 67
    39 Liberia 67
    39 Saint Kitts and Nevis 67
    39 São Tomé and Príncipe 67
    40 The Gambia 66
    41 Cameroon 64
    41 Gabon 64
    41 Mozambique 64
    42 Saint Lucia 62
    43 Equatorial Guinea 59

Takes a fairly low IQ to get sacked over a tweet. But to be fair to him, the actual reason for sacking him is a bit weak. They think he would make a Muslim uncomfortable, should they ever hire a Muslim in the future. Basically, sacked for something that hasn't actually happened. I'd be straight to the Labour court.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    IQ is not based on where you come from.

You're having your own little Channel 4 "So what you're saying is.." moment there. :D

It's correct to say that Western countries have populations with substantially higher IQ's than most under developed (sorry, developing) countries and random immigration from those countries will result with people with a lower IQ residing the host country.

His logic is consistent whether or not you accept the conclusions he draws
    I work with a fair few people who would be from what would be classified as 3rd world countries. I'm in software, they're very good at what they do and I can imagine how they'd feel if they discovered a work colleague using a public forum to express views like that.

I work with a lot of people from 1st world countries who are thick as pig ****, I wouldn't draw any conclusions on their place of origin from that. I also reckon if you actually list those countries you might find they're not third world. In fact, "third world" is no longer considered a valid term and you're racist/nazi/alt-right for using and should be sacked in case you use such a terrible term in front of your minority colleagues. This outrage stuff is fun :)

You can have all the opportunities and access to education as you wish , have an alphabet of letters after your name and pass an IQ test with a high score and still be a total idiot.

Posts on social media might be a better measure of actual IQ these days.

• Advertisement

You can have all the opportunities and access to education as you wish , have an alphabet of letters after your name and pass an IQ test with a high score and still be a total idiot.

Posts on social media might be a better measure of actual IQ these days.

Nah, they're all a pretty good indicator of intelligence. Which is not the same thing as sense.

Interview about the whole thing with the alt right nazi sound engineer here, you can tell he's just dying to snap out a "heil hitler" the whole time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

What a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What views though?

I wouldn't gloat about IQ being superior in western world. For example Irish Garda could not understand how Polish driver with a name "Prava Jazdu" managed to have so many offences all over ireland. Took them a while to realise that it was not a name on the piece of plastic, but a name of document: "Driving license".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

“With guest Ian Miles Cheong”

Hahahahaha. Why in the name of god do people still give that man attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wouldn't gloat about IQ being superior in western world. For example Irish Garda could not understand how Polish driver with a name "Prava Jazdu" managed to have so many offences all over ireland. Took them a while to realise that it was not a name on the piece of plastic, but a name of document: "Driving license".

I was a Garda for 10 years. This is legit.

Also, on the whole IQ in 3rd world countries, technically, Ireland is a 3rd world country:

'The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the West (NATO) nor with the East, the Communist bloc. Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania.'

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not knowing a foreign language does not show a lack of intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

subnautica's (awesome)sound designer got sacked today for this tweet

5C4DCMy.png

To be honest he should really have known better than to post that.

It puts the pressure on his employers to fire him though maybe it would be better if they had some internal process to deal with disciplinary matters that didn't involve just firing the guy.

It's up to them if they want to fire him though. Personally I think he should have been a bit more careful and a bit more sensible but maybe it's not a sackable offence.

It appears that ResetERA have the ability to hold publishers and developers to ransom and that is kind of worrying.

Did the likes of NeoGAF see themselves as a sort of "Gamergate-lite"? In the sense that while they might not be sending people death threats etc they are still prepared to chase someone out of the industry if they feel that person is participating in some unethical behavior?

It sucks for people working in the indie scene that they have a choice between complete silence and walking on eggshells because the community has the ability to mess with their game over some insignificant and unrelated nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not knowing a foreign language does not show a lack of intelligence.

IQ is not about knowing the languages, its about thinking and finding solution to a problem. If you did not knew language, you find infornation or people who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

FFS, IQ tests are an indicator of intelligence and not be all and end all of, when it comes to it. Sure some scientists even think there actually completely worthless.
    Sorry, but if you lose your job by touting long debunked racist nonsense, you really only have yourself to blame.

• Advertisement

It's not even a decent straw man argument tbh because from what I remember policing is a profession that veers towards the mid range in IQ charts :D

Sorry, but if you lose your job by touting long debunked racist nonsense, you really only have yourself to blame.

What was debunked though? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement