Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I didn't have an issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I play all PC games on Xbox One controller. The learning curve is too steep to learn to play with K&M I find anyway(and I cannot be bothered to spend much time learning) as I tried and found the controller so much more comfortable after years of console gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I use both. In games like Rocket League, Dark Souls and GTA V, I usually always use a controller. I usually stick to K&M in FPS games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It doesn't matter what he was playing with. A baby fiddling with a guitar hero peripheral would perform better than most game journalists these days based on gameplay footage they show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

May be worth noting that it wasn't Gies who was playing in that god awful footage, it was Russ Frushtick, the Editorial Director for Live Video on the site.

I mean, it still doesn't reflect well on them for not taking down the footage when they realised how poorly it demonstrated the game, but if you're going to **** on someone it may as well be the right person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

MGS HD collection might be coming to PS4, according to someone sleuthing on the MGS subreddit...

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/7wnepe/metal_gear_solid_hd_collection_coming_to_ps4/

I dream one day of Konami not being evil and doing a MGS3 remaster with their Pachinko graphics...

It hurts...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Feels like the mobile app scene has dried up a bit since the flurry of exciting activity a few years ago, but things are definitely looking a bit more interesting recently. These two are out in the next couple of days.

Florence first on Wednesday, from a designer of Monument Valley and with the Annapurna Interactive seal of approval:

And then Alto's Odyssey on the 22nd, which is a beautiful looking sequel to the very lovely game that pretty much single-handedly justified the existence of endless runners:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seen it all before no matter what latest hipster art style they apply to it, mobile gaming is a total bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thargor wrote: »
    Seen it all before no matter what latest hipster art style they apply to it, mobile gaming is a total bust.

I'm playing Spotlight: Room Escape on my phone and it's so addictive. It's free and has loads of content. Love the music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thargor wrote: »

Especially when one of them isn't a game but an animated story :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bambi wrote: »
    Especially when one of them isn't a game but an animated story :D
    Doesn't that also describe the likes of What Remains of Edith Finch, Abzu, Journey and Firewatch, all of which have been massively successful and acclaimed games from both critics and audiences alike? I bought Abzu on sale for a bit of a visual treat when I got a HD projector, otherwise not really into that genre, but it's caught on a lot and I really don't get the snobbery towards it from some.

As for the other title, it looks really good visually at least, and the first was also a massive commercial and critical (critics and audience) success. Credit to them... so long as they don't use microtransactions!! :p

Billy86 wrote: »
    Doesn't that also describe the likes of What Remains of Edith Finch, Abzu, Journey and Firewatch, all of which have been massively successful and acclaimed games from both critics and audiences alike?

It says in the video for Florence that it's a story :)

I've a rule of thumb that if watching a play through of a game gives you roughly the same experience as playing it would then it's not a game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pretty scary stuff. Nut job drove for 11 hours to break into the house of two Youtubers with the intention of killing him as he was in love with the girl. Police shoot him dead as he left.

https://www.pcgamer.com/youtubers-gavin-free-and-meg-turney-survive-break-in-by-armed-deranged-fan/?utm_content=buffere9a1f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

Bambi wrote: »
    It says in the video for Florence that it's a story :)

I've a rule of thumb that if watching a play through of a game gives you roughly the same experience as playing it would then it's not a game at all.

Well yeah and it's usually not my type of game either, but the likes of 'walking sim' and 'animated story' type games are quite popular and increasingly so, so to each their own if you ask me. It's just another genre.

Pretty scary stuff. Nut job drove for 11 hours to break into the house of two Youtubers with the intention of killing him as he was in love with the girl. Police shoot him dead as he left.

https://www.pcgamer.com/youtubers-gavin-free-and-meg-turney-survive-break-in-by-armed-deranged-fan/?utm_content=buffere9a1f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

There are some really disturbing characters out there, between this guy (clearly not well in the head) and the scumbag-for-hire that wound up with some random guy dead a month or two back. I had not heard of these two and she is pretty stunning, but clearly the guy is not at all well in the head... what did the think would follow if he killed this Gavin Free fella, that she would fall into his arms and they'd live happily ever after?

Looks like he topped himself, anywhoo if you're a successful toobyoober living in a place like new mexico you would think that owning firearms would be a precaution you'd take rather than hiding in cupboards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Not a fan of Rooster Teeth myself, but that's going a bit too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

It takes a special kind of lunatic to drive 11 hours straight without thinking to yourself "maybe this isn't a good idea", let alone coming up with the idea in the first place.

Scary stuff alright.

Did he think she was going to run into his arms when she saw him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

One for the Football Manager aficionados. The Football Manager World Esport Championship 2018 takes place at Birmingham’s NEC Arena in Birmingham from March 30th-April 1st as part of Insomnia 62. 64 players will compete for £25,000 as well as the chance to manage a team of Norwich legends against Inter Forever, the club’s official legends team, featuring the likes of Javier Zanetti, Marco Materazzi, and others.

It will use Football Manager's draft mode (so it's not a case of picking Real Madrid, but I imagine the first few players to pick will have a distinct advantage!) "with player and budget restrictions playing an important part in the selection process."

Source
    More details about the tournament

Thankfully, Jay is banned from entering.

🤪

Wow, Jay has his own gaming channel! Didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lovely story about how Firewatch inspired a 14 year old kid to visit 140 fire towers, worked on helping them be restored and may have even saved some from being knocked. He was even been asked to give a firetower historical talk to hikers. Worth a read.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/12/17004402/firewatch-kid-historical-preservation-story-twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Not a fan of Rooster Teeth myself, but that's going a bit too far.

He is and she was, but I'd say it's more the general weirdness of the Patreon modelling that leads to fans like that.

Patreon modelling? Sounds perfect for exploiting total creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nailz wrote: »
    It takes a special kind of lunatic to drive 11 hours straight without thinking to yourself "maybe this isn't a good idea", let alone coming up with the idea in the first place.

Scary stuff alright.

It was a really long loadin time. :pac:

Bad jokes aside. 11h trip, on your own in a car is a perfect time to talk to yourself and think through the idea. Looks like he was quite unstable for sure.

What really was annoying that they really emphasize the notion that he is a gamer. I can already smell big media licking their lips to blow this sky high and make video games evil. We did not had a good media ramt about gamers in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It was a really long loadin time. :pac:

Bad jokes aside. 11h trip, on your own in a car is a perfect time to talk to yourself and think through the idea. Looks like he was quite unstable for sure.

What really was annoying that they really emphasize the notion that he is a gamer. I can already smell big media licking their lips to blow this sky high and make video games evil. We did not had a good media ramt about gamers in a while.
    Someone must have said his name three times while looking in a mirror...

Disbarred Anti-Video Game Attorney Jack Thompson Offers Aid in Marshall School Shooting Case

Don't need big media for that, kotaku and polygon will be all over that angle like a pigeon on a chip :pac:

Rumours that a remastered Spyro Trilogy is to be announced next month for release in Q3 2018
    http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/02/13/spyro-trilogy-remaster-coming-to-ps4-this-year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Would be up for that, really enjoyed those games.

Although, was Spyro always as hideous as the pic in that article?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement