Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Exclusives are just used to tip the balance to get an install base, they don't have to get huge sales. Sony will bundle them up and say look at these 10 great exclusive games only on PS4. And that sometimes is enough to get someone to buy a PS4 over an Xbox.
    And to be fair over the last two (or more?) years it's highly justified - I'm on PC but the balance of exclusives for Xbox vs PS is almost embarrassing just to look at. The PC exclusives like Civ or Total War are more up my street though I am very jealous of some PS titles like HZD, Uncharted etc... but I actually can't think of a single Xbox exclusive in the last two years (or even Xbox/PC exclusive since a good few seem to cross over) that I'd be jealous of if I were a PS4 owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,919 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Billy86 wrote: »
    And to be fair over the last two (or more?) years it's highly justified - I'm on PC but the balance of exclusives for Xbox vs PS is almost embarrassing just to look at. The PC exclusives like Civ or Total War are more up my street though I am very jealous of some PS titles like HZD, Uncharted etc... but I actually can't think of a single Xbox exclusive in the last two years (or even Xbox/PC exclusive since a good few seem to cross over) that I'd be jealous of if I were a PS4 owner.

The Forza games would be the only ones that I would think of quickly - i don't think the PS4 has racing titles that match up to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fair shout on that one, would have slipped my mind since I'm not into racing games, but keep half an eye out here and there for if Horizon 3 goes on sale for cheap, though it seems less likely to find on sale than GTAV for the PC in 2015 for whatever reason. I'd be surprised if it's still sells at a really high rate but could be wrong.

Are the farming simulator games actually any good?
    Never hear much talk about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Are the farming simulator games actually any good?
    Never hear much talk about them

Honestly have no idea. Never played em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Neither have I, and I don't think I'll play them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Which farming simulator is that, there's 2 big ones on console from different companies who both use that same font as every other sim game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Varik wrote: »
    Which farming simulator is that, there's 2 big ones on console from different companies who both use that same font as every other sim game.

Are you sure? I had a quick google after you mentioned it as it would be kinda weird with two different companies having the same game name and then box art font.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Obligatory...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Are you sure? I had a quick google after you mentioned it as it would be kinda weird with two different companies having the same game name and then box art font.

It's Farming simulator and Pure farming: the Simulator.

One apparently a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Varik wrote: »
    It's Farming simulator and Pure farming: the Simulator.

One apparently a good game.

Who would have thought there was a market for farming simulators games.

And it must be a big enough market if two companies are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Every time I see one of those "simulator" games I think of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Who would have thought there was a market for farming simulators games.

And it must be a big enough market if two companies are doing it.

Sure see how popular driving a truck is... Not hard to see a market for a farming simulator. I tried one of the versions, maybe even that one above in the video and it was super clunky but one that had a bit of effort put into would just be as relaxing as any other sim I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Fascinating bit of reporting from Eurogamer on the recent struggles at Sunless Seas / Skies developer Failbetter.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-14-behind-the-sunless-scenes

Touches on a load of issues: the struggles of growing indie developers, the perils of Early Access, the limits of Kickstarter success, and what happens to a studio when it loses its creative & business head. Some admirably frank comments from staff current & former within.
    I was wondering if something was up, tbh. Two staff members left before Christmas, which seemed weird for a company with an incredibly low turnover and which has won awards as being a great place to work.

I felt a bit uncomfortable with Alexis Kennedy's comments, tbh. I mean, he left the company to do his own thing, it seems a bit much to be passing remark on a place he's no longer involved in. But then he said the following on reddit, so I guess I get it:
    Ultimately, I had three choices when Eurogamer came to me:

(a) no comment
    (b) talk to them as an anonymous source.
    (c) go on the record

(a) would have been abandoning people who were in a bad place and who'd come to me for help and support. (b) would have been cowardly.

The mobile app for Fallen London was terrible. I tried using it and it was so frustrating. If they'd just improved the website for mobile in the first place it would have been much better.

And I LOVE Sunless Sea, but not a hope in hell would you ever catch me paying £10 for a mobile game with limited functionality compared to the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I hope this doesn't lead to vapourware status, but I'll be a pessimist, given Kickstarter's wishy-washy reputation for release punctuality. I wouldn't have minded a remake of SS1 in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i woulnd't be surprised if it never sees the light of day now, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I always question the value of remakes like System Shock. The reason that it's so revered as a game is because it was the first to do so many different things and basically invented a genre of it's own and influenced a whole new generation of developers to take the ideas it came up and run with them. A remake can never have even a tenth of the impact the original had and the best they can hope for is to stoke some nostalgia.

• Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, i woulnd't be surprised if it never sees the light of day now, which is a shame.

Some session they must of had with all that money!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Surprised Nightdive let it get so out of hand. It's their first blip in what has been a pretty stellar run as a publosher and one of the few 'good guys' I'm the industry. Hopefully it does get picked back up with a producer that doesn't let development get out if hand.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Surprised Nightdive let it get so out of hand. It's their first blip in what has been a pretty stellar run as a publosher and one of the few 'good guys' I'm the industry. Hopefully it does get picked back up with a producer that doesn't let development get out if hand.
    It's also their first large scale internal project so I'm not particularly surprised they've struggled, especially given the lineage of the project they're working on. The switch to Unreal Engine was probably wise but would definitely have cost them both time and money. The subsequent announcements regarding some of the reworked design were more alarming though and it sounded like there was some high level disagreement with what they were even making. You can remake a game like that or reboot it, you can't really do both and keep everyone happy.

In any case, their main problem was always going to be the amount of money they raised. It simply wasn't going to be enough to rebuild the original game in a modern engine to modern technical standards. I don't doubt for a second they supplemented this with other forms of income even before they started looking for an external publisher but it genuinely looks like they just bit off more than they could chew with this project.

They're gonna have some job getting this game out if all the money has been spent, all contractors laid off and there's no publishers willing to finance it.
    I have a feeling Kupermans estimated release of two years from now is only wishful thinking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It just stinks of bad project management. Changed the scope of the game well into development which resulted in more feature creep. Good project management would have estimated how much that would have stretched development time and nipped it in the bud instead of letting 'artistic integrity' get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fcuking delighted with that! My second favourite racer ever behind Midnight Club 3. That’s going to be a great Paddy’s weekend without even touching the drink. :D

Top class soundtrack in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't know about buying it again. On Steam it's already 1080/60fps. What could be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

martyos121 wrote: »
    Fcuking delighted with that! My second favourite racer ever behind Midnight Club 3. That’s going to be a great Paddy’s weekend without even touching the drink. :D

Top class soundtrack in it too.

Avril Levine can **** off though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The DLC situation with the PC port is a farce (it's all been taken offline as far as I recall), and it never got the Big Surf Island expansion. Given this actually has some cool additional stuff, hopefully the remastered edition's improvement and extra stuff will make their way over, as this is one case where the new console versions will actually have something significant over the existing PC version.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement