Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Article
    > Here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 29,115 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And from comments online and on twitter, it's not a good port. Apparently a port of the mobile version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

They butchered Chrono Trigger on phones then slapped it onto the PC, just how they did it with some of their Final Fantasy titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    Hellbound - your pastiche of 90's FPS games all rolled into one

'Remember when gameplay was king?'

Yes I do. But I also remember when fps games in the 90's had actual level design and weren't just boring arena shooters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Into the Breach (FTL developers next game) is getting some good reviews. 9 from IGN.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/02/27/into-the-breach-review

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    'Remember when gameplay was king?'

Yes I do. But I also remember when fps games in the 90's had actual level design and weren't just boring arena shooters.

I get the impression from that video that it's just an example of one of the add-on modes, so I wouldn't write it off just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote:

Haven't most modern shooters not just been corridor shooters for some time where you reach point x in a level to stop enemies respawning or trigger a cutscene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Kiith wrote: »
    Into the Breach (FTL developers next game) is getting some good reviews. 9 from IGN.

You also get a free copy of FTL if you buy Into The Breach on GOG or Humble (not sure about other stores).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Speaking of boring arena shooters albeit with a more unique visual style this time...

Not really sure what its chances are like on Kickstarter but at least the goal is reasonable. Kind of getting a Tower of Guns meets Devil Daggers vibe from it so it could be a neat little distraction at some point.

• Advertisement

• Not sure if this has been shared. But this looks pretty amazing so far

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kiith wrote: »

Its pretty terrible tbh, I knew it wasn't going to be as good as FTL but I was kind of hoping for another Advance Wars or something like that but nah, its so dull and limited, unbelievably tiny maps, playing as the same 3 units every time, killing the same few enemies over and over (even the bosses are just existing enemies with a purple skin). It would be an interesting mobile strategy game (why arent there more of those?) but as the follow-up to FTL which imo is one of the greatest games of all time it completely fails on every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭Doge

Just realised now that I have a gaming PC I can finally play Hatred, the ultra violent shooter I wanted to play when I didn’t have a PC capable of running it.

It’s €6.66 on steam, lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Doge wrote: »
    Just realised now that I have a gaming PC I can finally play Hatred, the ultra violent shooter I wanted to play when I didn’t have a PC capable of running it.

You have access to an endless treasure trove of brilliant, inventive, strange, artful, entertaining, silly games on PC. And bloody Hatred is the one you’re going for? :pac:

With titles like Assault Android Cactus, Nex Machina, RUINER, Helldivers, Enter the Gungeon, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Nuclear Throne and Geometry Wars available, Hatred is the last bloody thing I'd want to look at if I wanted a twin stick shooter of any style or description. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

brilliant, inventive, strange, artful, entertaining, silly
    walking simulators

Play doom 1995 with mods if you want the best action & violence there is. Still nothing compares to that and your bloody wrist watch can run it @ 5 billion fps. Why is this news btw?

You have access to an endless treasure trove of brilliant, inventive, strange, artful, entertaining, silly games on PC. And bloody Hatred is the one you’re going for? :pac:

Haha, I’ve already done the above and it’s just one of the games I wanted to play at the time but could not. I love twin stick shooters like Robotron 2048 and Smash TV so keen to give this a go.

Must try out the other twin stick shooters you mentioned gizmo also, I’ve only tried Geometry Wars from the list.

walking simulators
    Why is this news btw?

I actually have no idea why I posted it in this thread! :o

Force of habit from posting in general chat threads I presume!

Let the gaming news recommence! :pac:

Haha, I’ve already done the above and it’s just one of the games I wanted to play at the time but could not. I love twin stick shooters like Robotron 2048 and Smash TV so keen to give this a go.

Must try out the other twin stick shooters you mentioned gizmo also, I’ve only tried Geometry Wars from the list.
    If you love twin stick shooters than I genuinely can't see you enjoying Hatred, Doge. It feels sluggish and imprecise with terribly tuned AI and repetitive combat, fairly major failings for a title in that genre imo.

To narrow the other recommendations down a bit for you, if you love Robotron then Nex Machina should be your first stop. The developers, Housemarque, brought Eugene Jarvis, the creator of that classic, on board as a creative consultant and the end result is absolutely glorious. If you want something dark and gritty with a splash of some stylised violence then go for RUINER.

And yea, mods feel free to punt this stuff in General Discussion. Doge just needed to be warned. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Was there ever a version of Smash TV that was playable with analogue sticks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Portal IP is being put to use again.

🤪

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ion Maiden, a new 3D Realms FPS made in the.... Build engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ion Maiden, a new 3D Realms FPS made in the.... Build engine?

I am stoked. Feedback regarding the game at its current stage has been positive, but I'm unsure whether to buy it during Early Access.

Was there ever a version of Smash TV that was playable with analogue sticks?

You can do it in Mame and it works well. I tried it before with a ps3 controller and my Android phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You can do it in Mame and it works well. I tried it before with a ps3 controller and my Android phone.

I'll give it a go.

My God it's glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Crash Bandicoot Insane Trilogy no longer PS4 exclusive, coming to all platforms July 10th!

https://twitter.com/CrashBandicoot/status/971883269242392577

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement