Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    A bit of pessimism is one thing but let's not get carried away with the hyperbole here. They ****ed up Aliens: CM as a project, hard, and deserved every bit of legitimate criticism they got. DNF, on the other hand, had been royally screwed by 3D Realms before they ever got near it.

Outside that you have the Borderlands series which is excellent, a string of Brothers in Arms titles of varying quality and a bunch of port work which trails all the way back to their excellent first title, Opposing Force. What their back catalogue is a perfect example of is an independent studio who take on a whole range of projects in order to pay the bills while waiting for a break to make their own title. In this case, it was Borderlands so one can happily argue it was worth it.

As for Homeworld, well as I said in the other thread, I can't see them working on a sequel directly if that was their plan at all. More than likely they'll do some port work to get it onto Steam and GoG, hope the IP becomes more financially viable because of it and then sell it on for a profit in order to fund their own projects.

As an aside, the IP went for a reported $1.35m in the end which is a decent chunk of money all things considered.

I think you misses my last post m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think you misses my last post m8.
    Pretty much, aye. :)

That being said, I hold no ill will towards Gearbox for DNF. They basically finished off 3D Realms work as part of a deal with 2K. In a perfect world they would have told them to go jump but if they hadn't done it then someone else would have been drafted in. At least this way Gearbox got more funds to do their own thing and are also possibly getting a crack at a proper sequel. Not a bad outcome in the end, and that's coming from someone with a little Duke bust on his shelf at home.

A:CM on the other hand, well I made my feelings about that clear on that thread.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

In fairness to Gearbox, Duke Nukem was the only old franchise they picked up and then went on to release a new entry in the series. 1 title is not enough to make a track record out of. While the game was suppose to be quite poor, from my understanding of it, it was mostly complete by the time they got there hands on it.

Aliens:CM wasn't an established franchise. It was just made use of the Aliens license and lots of developers have been hit and miss with that IP. They deserve the flak they got for that.

Equally so they deversed the praise they got for Boderlands.
    Before that they had moderate success with Brothers in Arms.
    Its true they hyped up the Duken Nuken and Aliens, but all developers and publishers do that for there products. Just as move companies do. They do it regardless of whether the prodcut there selling is good, bad or average.

I don't think it was THQ who sat on the Homeworld IP. I think it was Relic who where more interested in the critical and commerically successfull Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series. THQ could have farmed it out to another developer but did they have a relationship with another developer interesting in shipping a space RTS game which is pretty much a niche in a niche.

Be interested to see what Gearbox was going to do with Homeworld. I don't think they have dabled in anything outside of shooters. They outbid Paradox (Heats of Iron) and Stardock (Sins of Solar Empire and Elemental)

Stardock would seem like the natural home for Homeworld, Sins got great reviews although it had no story and it would seem like a good fit. Then again Elemental was suppose to be god awful and they even admitted that themselves. Only issue I would have had with Stardock is there a pretty low budget outfit. Gearbox are AAA now after Borderlands 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Technically not news but more rumours:

Possibility of L4D3. Basically just a reference to it on their site/steamworks and yer man got banned for posting about it.

However with E3 on next week, I do remain somewhat hopeful for a L4D3 or HL3. I have suspected that Valve are unwilling to release Half-Life 3 on existing consoles. HL & HL2 marked revolutionary stages in gaming. With the impending release of the new consoles, they would have the opportunity and power to show what they've been working on for... whatever amount of time now.
    They might be geared towards PC, but there's no doubt that the consoles are lucrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

Monotype wrote: »
    Technically not news but more rumours:

Possibility of L4D3. Basically just a reference to it on their site/steamworks and yer man got banned for posting about it.

However with E3 on next week, I do remain somewhat hopeful for a L4D3 or HL3. I have suspected that Valve are unwilling to release Half-Life 3 on existing consoles. HL & HL2 marked revolutionary stages in gaming. With the impending release of the new consoles, they would have the opportunity and power to show what they've been working on for... whatever amount of time now.
    They might be geared towards PC, but there's no doubt that the consoles are lucrative.

Unless Gaben makes an appearance at some conference, Valve won't be at E3.

Proof: http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/04/by-the-way-valve-wont-be-exhibiting-at-e3-2013-either/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oh well, so much for that theory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Play Baldurs Gate in 3d (Neverwinter Nights 2 engine)? Sounds good to me.

Sega sues bankrupt THQ for £630k over Company of Heroes 2 Steam pre-orders

While that's news in itself what it also does is inadvertently reveal the cut Valve take from sales, that figure being the long suspected 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Firefly is to be brought back, but as some sort of social mobile game. Not a hole lot of info yet except:
    You'll be able to build and customise your own ship and, as captain, hire a crew and head on missions. The Online part comes from meeting and trading with other players, which you'll be able to do cross-platform.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-18-joss-whedons-firefly-to-continue-in-official-video-game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

For anyone who has the Zone Of Enders HD Collection on the PS3, you can now get a patch that makes it into full 1080.

http://kotaku.com/zone-of-the-enders-no-longer-looks-like-crap-in-hd-907307324?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Xenji wrote: »
    For anyone who has the Zone Of Enders HD Collection on the PS3, you can now get a patch that makes it into full 1080.

http://kotaku.com/zone-of-the-enders-no-longer-looks-like-crap-in-hd-907307324?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Just in time for it to be 3 days after the sale on the HD collection ended on PSN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The world of gaming takes a collective disinterested shrug at his childish tantrum i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Varik wrote: »
    Just in time for it to be 3 days after the sale on the HD collection ended on PSN.

The patch was out while it was on sale. I bought it because the patch had been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

"The man said mean things to me online, so I'm taking my football and going home!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Such a strange one. I agree with many of the comments Fish (and Jon Blow) have made about games journalism. I think Phil Fish should often breathe and think before doing / saying, and his appearance in Indie Game did little to endure himself to me (although luckily he did make a pretty good game, if not the masterpiece it was heralded as). I think the video that incited this whole thing was childish name-calling and inadvertently backed up all the criticisms of games journalism. I think Phil Fish's response was typically rash and bordering on a temper-tantrum. Yet I glance through the comments below his announcement and instantly sympathise with his decision - the gaming community online can really be extraordinarily hateful, desperate and childish.

Frankly, the whole situation is just a giant big cluster****.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

GTR63 wrote: »

Two a$$holes enter, one a$$hole leaves; Beer is just a loudmouth who occasionally hits upon common sense by way of tactlessness that'd make Yahztee blush, but Fish's reaction would be hilarious if it wasn't so petty & immature. I mean who benefits in this? Presumably Fez 2 was already in production, so now a whole chunk of budgeted work becomes null and void because of Fishs kneejerk reaction and inability to be professional or emotionally mature. Nonsense like this is the reason why I've little time for the gaming as a broad community these days; there's just a stunning absence of intelligence in many places...

• Advertisement

Yet I glance through the comments below his and instantly sympathise with his decision - the gaming community online can really be extraordinarily hateful, desperate and childish.

Tbh he is also part of that community and if what he said was said in here i'd expect it to be dealt with.
    I say that knowing that I HATE practically every comment section on the internet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tbh he is also part of that community and if what he said was said in here i'd expect it to be dealt with.
    I say that knowing that I HATE practically every comment section on the internet.

That's Fish's problem - he responds to abuse and childish criticism in kind which is absolutely regrettable. Jon Blow can be outspoken too, but he's typically intelligent about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A number of things come up in this story.

1. This notion that "journalist" can now just go online now and start attacking people they don't know and the person has to take it is bull. I really am sick of these "angry gamer" types that think that just because they took the easy way out and instead of doing something creative they instead found their audience of 14 year old boy who think being an ass hat is funny or that developer owe them something gives them some kind of licence to go on these kind of rants.

This clown who until this story broke I had never heard of (so I guess he has done his job of self promoting) just comes across as a knob. It is like Jim Sterling starting his awful career all over again a screaming like a baby until someone listens. They think they are being clever and funny or worse "telling it as it is" but they are not. It is garbage tabloid rubbish.

To attack Fish for saying he didn't have anything to say about the Xbox One's indie self publishing news (that had only just been leaked) is bizarre. And he has no idea what was going on in Fish's life maybe he was at work under a lot of stress trying to get a lot done and that was the 20th call that day on this same subject and he flipped a bit.

2. The second point is, why are websites contacting Fish for a comment on it at all? It is because they are lazy. Yes it is an indie focused venture that Microsoft are pushing out, but rather than email/call an indie Dev for a quote to lead your story how about go an research it, figure it out and form your own opinion. But no that is hard work when you can call up a controversial dev who will give you a quote then you can push it all on to him.

This flair up is not down to a single Twitter fight it comes from Fish taking years of abuse from people. Now it is easy for us to sit here an say just ignore the idiots online but when it is constant and pretty nasty it would be pretty hard for anyone to ignore.

I don't know Fish but I know how hard it is to make a game and he was pretty much on his own too. You have to be a certain type of person to do that, one that is extremely focused and borderline obsessive. This personality will lead you to take that internet crap to heart.

He isn't just taking his ball and going home he has hit a point where he now feels all the crap versus the pay off is just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This is Fish's job, if the rest of us had to deal with a fraction of the abuse he gets in his job we'd be on to HR and maybe even a solicitor.

This is Fish's job, if the rest of us had to deal with a fraction of the abuse he gets in his job we'd be on to HR and maybe even a solicitor.

No offence but unless you have VERY thick skin don't join twitter or run your mouth unless you expect to get it back at you. Weren't lads getting death threats for changing the reload speeds of a sniper rifle or some trivial crap this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

No offence but unless you have VERY thick skin don't join twitter or run your mouth unless you expect to get it back at you. Weren't lads getting death threats for changing the reload speeds of a sniper rifle or some trivial crap this week.

Yep. See here. Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

He was telling the guy to choke on his dick and "go die" fish seems an utter asshole so far up his own ass someone could do a study on his impressive ability to code in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, Beers is quite open with his opinion, thats why I like him, though he did some **** ups himself in a past too ( the whole achievement "bros before hoes thing ).
    In this case he did what he did, but Fish reacted like a spoiled little child. to make it worse he just took his toys out of sandbox and went home. I personally could not give a feck about Fez, but I bet there were a good few people on payroll for that game. So just because Fish got offended like a little girl others will have to lose money.

All know Beers is a dick, but this incident just showed true colours of a Fish, not just a whiner, but a inmature dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

bizmark wrote: »
    He was telling the guy to choke on his dick and "go die" fish seems an utter asshole so far up his own ass someone could do a study on his impressive ability to code in the dark

While it doesn't change what has taken place, apparently Fish's quote about Beer killing himself is a quote straight out of Futurama. Moral of the story is, on the Internet, no one can hear the tone at which you say things. Be careful what you tweet, folks.

http://www.examiner.com/article/phil-fish-breaks-a-gasket-tells-media-member-to-kill-himself

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ lol....way to improve the image of gamers guys, real mature......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement