Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

I'm not really up on overwatch, what exactly are they trying to copyright?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kirby wrote: »
    They are trying to. An important distinction. Something tells me they wont succeed....or if they do, it won't be on the terms they want.

Companies have a tough time with things like this. Replay highlights have been around a long time.

A lot of patents get granted that shouldn't, and there's loads of studies on how long a patent application is under review and how qualified the one doing so is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    “Halo will weave deeply drawn personal stories with action, adventure and a richly imagined vision of the future"

They're already deviating from the source material.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They're already deviating from the source material.

Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm not really up on overwatch, what exactly are they trying to copyright?

After the game there's a 15 second clip of who earned the most points in a 15 second period. Its normally just someone pressing Q (Ultimate Ability, some of them are guaranteed 3-4 kills if done right) but occassionally you see skilled ones like kickass Sniping or someone just playing well and getting loads of kills.

I,thought I knew of other games with similar systems, twoukd be mad if they get it

Fallout 76 won't have cross-platform multiplayer because of Sony, says director [CNET]

Tom Howard (of Bethesda) calling it like it is:
    "You cannot do cross-play in 76," he told the publication in a video interview. "We'd really love that but right now we can't."

When GameStar asked why, the answer was remarkably candid: "Sony is not as helpful as everyone would like," he said.

Don't think this "cross platform play" is going anywhere anytime soon. Sony need to get over themselves a bit here; at this stage they just look arrogant assbutts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Turtle Rock Studios are working on an "unannounced AAA game in 'globally-known franchise'"

L4D3? Counter-Strike Battle Royale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Turtle Rock Studios are working on an "unannounced AAA game in 'globally-known franchise'"

L4D3? Counter-Strike Battle Royale?

Evolve 2? They never said it was globally-known for being good :D

Left 4 Dead was before it's time. Wasn't big into it but if released today you could print money from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Left 4 Dead was before it's time. Wasn't big into it but if released today you could print money from it.

Me and 6 friends would play that every night, always at least 4 of us on. Best craic I've ever had on multiplayer, never got old. Then we got L4D 2 but it didn't have the magic of the first and we all drifted away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I want a new L4D before I want a new HL. Even a remaster would be great (on PS4).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Fallout 76 won't have cross-platform multiplayer because of Sony, says director [CNET]

Tom Howard (of Bethesda) calling it like it is:

Don't think this "cross platform play" is going anywhere anytime soon. Sony need to get over themselves a bit here; at this stage they just look arrogant assbutts.

Simple solution - hit them in the wallet.
    Release game cross platform with everything, but Sony. Those who have multiple consoles will go with x box version instead of ps4. Eventually Sony will budge in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I actually support Sony in these decisions regarding cross play with Xbox, thats their competitor lads, doing cross play with them will only help xbox, when they want to bury them :rolleyes:

EDIT: And to add, if their current success was in reverse, i find it hard to imagine, xbox wouldnt do the exact same thing as Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nix wrote: »
    I actually support Sony in these decisions regarding cross play with Xbox, thats their competitor lads, doing cross play with them will only help xbox, when they want to bury them :rolleyes:

EDIT: And to add, if their current success was in reverse, i find it hard to imagine, xbox wouldnt do the exact same thing as Sony.

So you support anti consumer policies?

Simple solution - hit them in the wallet.
    Release game cross platform with everything, but Sony. Those who have multiple consoles will go with x box version instead of ps4. Eventually Sony will budge in.

MS haven't put out numbers for a while but EA have for the console market as a whole, and with Sony own numbers that puts the PS4 at 73.6m and the One at an estimated 29.4m.

People can argue about shipped/sold and everything else but when it's a shareholder meeting there's only so much you can fudge the number by.

Sony won't budge in, they have no reason to.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    So you support anti consumer policies?

no im pro "buy a PC if you want to play online games properly without this bullshit" :pac:

But i understand Sony's decision not to make owning an xbox in anyway appealing, but then again ive never liked xboxs existence, if they had alot more exclusives (that you cant get on PC) id probably consider getting a xbox, and then xbox would be doing alot better and then cross play wouldnt be as much of an issue, is the way i see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

nix wrote:
    then again ive never liked xboxs existence, if they had alot more exclusives (that you cant get on PC).

More pro-consumer things you're against.

wha

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

Pity Sony are being stubborn. Cross play would be great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Varik wrote: »
    MS haven't put out numbers for a while but EA have for the console market as a whole, and with Sony own numbers that puts the PS4 at 73.6m and the One at an estimated 29.4m.

People can argue about shipped/sold and everything else but when it's a shareholder meeting there's only so much you can fudge the number by.

Sony won't budge in, they have no reason to.

They will in the future. We know what happened to sony when they got too cocky after ps2. Looks like the circle will repeat itself.
    Sony and Microsoft are both assholes, but for the balance and consumer, we need each of them to get a good slap. This time its Sonys turn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I googled PlayStation wiki and it seems about every 6 years a new console comes out. How likely is it we will see PS5 next year or more likely 2020?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I googled PlayStation wiki and it seems about every 6 years a new console comes out. How likely is it we will see PS5 next year or more likely 2020?

Scuttlebutt is that 2020 is the landing date for both PS and Xbox consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It'll be announced next year, out by Christmas 2019 I reckon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not a hope it's before late 2020. Announced in May then released for xmas does not give MS and Sony enough time to set the hype machines in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

AMD's Ryzen needs to be affordable before the next generation begins.
    Ryzen will offer a huge jump in CPU resources from the fairly poor CPU's in the PS4 & Xbox.
    It will be end of 2020 at the very earliest.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not a hope it's before late 2020. Announced in May then released for xmas does not give MS and Sony enough time to set the hype machines in motion.

Where are you getting may from, also MS did do it in May.

Xbox one was announced May 13 and holiday 13.

PS4 was February 13 and then holiday 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

AMD's Ryzen needs to be affordable before the next generation begins.
    Ryzen will offer a huge jump in CPU resources from the fairly poor CPU's in the PS4 & Xbox.
    It will be end of 2020 at the very earliest.

What is 'affordable' though? Like, affordable to bid a pc with or for consoles to use I n their builds? And for the latter, what type of processor and at what price?

Genuinely curious here by the way, some Ryzen processors have plummeted in price with the 1600 below £150 on amazon and the 1200 (which overclocked matches an I5 7400) below £80. Obviously if you are talking about console components the likes of MS and Sony would be buying at very different prices in very different ways and I have basically no clue as to how that all works, but the first gen ryzen stuff has been dipping quite a bit in price lately.

Varik wrote: »
    Where are you getting may from, also MS did do it in May.

Xbox one was announced May 13 and holiday 13.

PS4 was February 13 and then holiday 13.

Ok, thought there was way more time between announcement and release. Still think 2019 is too early.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I don't think we'll see cyber punk this console generation at all,I'd say there waiting for next gen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement