Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It was actually their Nintendo editor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deano7788 wrote: »
    It was actually their Nintendo editor.

Ouch. Someone might be getting the American equivalent of a P45.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

IGN should know the rules, they're only allowed to "plagiarise" publisher press releases and pass them off as articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Varik wrote: »
    IGN should know the rules, they're only allowed to "plagiarise" publisher press releases and pass them off as articles.

Could they have both been paraphrasing the same press release?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could they have both been paraphrasing the same press release?

The fact that it's been taken down shows a bit of admission of guilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kinda shows how cliched reviews are now these days. I bet every review uses Metroidvania, procedurely generated, rogue like, f*ck it I'll throw in souls like too.
    I've never played it but I bet I could still not play it and throw together a review which would blend in with the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The most shocking thing about it is that IGN actually reviewed a game for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky intro HEEEYYYYY YYYOOOOOO WADDDUPPP IGN ISSS YO BOY BACK AGAIN SO SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON TO KEEP IT LIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    And he would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky intro HEEEYYYYY YYYOOOOOO WADDDUPPP IGN ISSS YO BOY BACK AGAIN SO SMASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON TO KEEP IT LIT.

What? He didn't use the word "guys"?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

He's been banished from IGN and forever known in the statement and beyond as "the writer"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He's been banished from IGN and forever known in the statement and beyond as "the writer"

I found that a bit strange they didn't name him.

I found that a bit strange they didn't name him.

Maybe could be taken as libel if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

You'd have to wonder how in his right mind did he think that it was a good idea to try and do that? he must have know that the blowback was going to be severe?

I thought the game had an embargo, so how did the other guy post his review before ign?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I thought the game had an embargo, so how did the other guy post his review before ign?

How did it have an embargo? Has it not been out on early access for ages?

TitianGerm wrote:
    How did it have an embargo? Has it not been out on early access for ages?

Just does. For instance, Monster Hunter World on PC had an embargo too even though it released back in January on consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Publications could be given an embargo for the final 1.0 release when they’re provided with a review copy - and the publication may be happy to wait for the ‘final product’ before giving it a proper critical going over. A YouTuber who has the Early Access game could just review it whenever they want. There’s also IIRC been cases where publishers actually want the game reviewed by YouTubers and players first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The Kotaku article about the story includes evidence (found by another source), of even more plagarism before he joined IGN. They also have no issue with naming him.

Article here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Notorious wrote: »
    The Kotaku article about the story includes evidence (found by another source), of even more plagarism before he joined IGN. They also have no issue with naming him.

Article here.

Reading the first comparison, I thought it might be just a coincidence and lousy he got fired for it. By the time I got to the end, I was thinking it was well justified. Balls on that guy!

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/emuparadise/status/1027262068569845760?s=19

Nintendo slowly working their way through Rom sites

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And 10 more will pop up tomorrow. Maybe setup a service to get these games on the Switch, at a reasonable price, and some people might stop having to resort to piracy.

There's also the issue of licensed games that will never see release again. Emulation is what will keep them alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I see Sony have a new PS out for their 500m consoles sold overall. Nothing special just a 2TD HD.

Who will hit 1 billion first? Sony or Nintendo?

ekfxwdcxidomszlkz9ow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Kiith wrote: »
    And 10 more will pop up tomorrow. Maybe setup a service to get these games on the Switch, at a reasonable price, and some people might stop having to resort to piracy.

Especially with the ridiculous prices of some of the older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Of all the special edition PS4's they have put out, that one is the nicest IMO. But at £449 (prob north of €500 for us) its gonna cost a fairly pretty penny....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm the opposite. It looks like it will be nice, but the translucent cover ruins it imo. You can't really tell by the picture, but once you start seeing the internals, it doesn't look as good.

And it will be Sony to hit the 1 Billion first. MS stopped releasing their sales figures because they got lapped by Sony, and they're sticking with not releasing the figures, instead using different metrics to measure success.

I'm the opposite. It looks like it will be nice, but the translucent cover ruins it imo. You can't really tell by the picture, but once you start seeing the internals, it doesn't look as good.

And it will be Sony to hit the 1 Billion first. MS stopped releasing their sales figures because they got lapped by Sony, and they're sticking with not releasing the figures, instead using different metrics to measure success.

It's over all their consoles, Sony on 525m, MS on what 140m.

Seems Nintendo is 580-590m from everything.

Don't think things will stay the way the are for consoles long enough for anyone to hit 1b with traditional consoles, if they did 100m a generation that's a long time.

THQ Nordic have acquired the rights to Timesplitters and Second Sight. Remasters incoming?

• Advertisement

Never got the appeal of Timesplitters. I somewhat enjoyed the multiplayer of TS2 but it felt like a cut down Unreal Tournament and not a patch on what was happening on PC at the time. The single player wasn't great either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement