Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Never got the appeal of Timesplitters. I somewhat enjoyed the multiplayer of TS2 but it felt like a cut down Unreal Tournament and not a patch on what was happening on PC at the time. The single player wasn't great either.

It was the game that made me and my flat mates give up Goldeneye multiplayer and the N64.
    Loved it but obviously does not stand up to modern day scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Varik wrote: »
    It's over all their consoles, Sony on 525m, MS on what 140m.

Seems Nintendo is 580-590m from everything.

Don't think things will stay the way the are for consoles long enough for anyone to hit 1b with traditional consoles, if they did 100m a generation that's a long time.

Nintendo are actually 727 million from everything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

abbir wrote: »
    Nintendo are actually 727 million from everything

People like to pretend Handhelds don't count

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote:

Sure some argue Nintendo are in their own business and not competing with Sony or Microsoft. :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

But the Sony 500 million includes 82 million PSPs and whatever number of Vitas sold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

abbir wrote: »
    But the Sony 500 million includes 82 million PSPs and whatever number of Vitas sold

I think it's about 12 Vitas in total sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hated that cartooney FPS fad that Timesplitters started for a while, no satisfaction in the fighting, its why I couldn't get into Dishonored years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This plagiarism story at IGN is amazing. He seems to have stolen a massive portion of his content. There are more and more and more examples emerging.

This plagiarism story at IGN is amazing. He seems to have stolen a massive portion of his content. There are more and more and more examples emerging.

Decent thread over in the Nintendo forum if you're interested:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899446

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thargor wrote: »
    Hated that cartooney FPS fad that Timesplitters started for a while, no satisfaction in the fighting, its why I couldn't get into Dishonored years later.

I could never understand the love for timesplitters 2, apart from the quite cool first level in the dam, I thought it was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I didn't get it either. Had it on Gamecube I think. I only played single player though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It was one of the best console fps's from what i remember. As others have said, it didn't really hold up against some of the pc shooters at the time, but definitely seemed king of the console ones till Halo.

Although Goldeneye was better than all of those :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Kiith wrote: »
    It was one of the best console fps's from what i remember. As others have said, it didn't really hold up against some of the pc shooters at the time, but definitely seemed king of the console ones till Halo.

Although Goldeneye was better than all of those :P

I remember it being our step up from Goldeneye for split-screen 4 player. We’d played Holdeneye to death on the N64, so a change of scenery was needed. Part of the appeal was how heavily customisable the game was (more so than Goldeneye), and you could build your own maps iirc.

It filled a hole until Halo came along. I’ve very little interest in seeing a sequel or a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Spyro trilogy has been delayed until mid November. Giving it extra polish is the official reason but it's probably to avoid getting lost in the Spiderman, Tomb Raider and Fifa September shuffle.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Spyro trilogy has been delayed until mid November. Giving it extra polish is the official reason but it's probably to avoid getting lost in the Spiderman, Tomb Raider and Fifa September shuffle.

Tbh games from November like COD ran from Red Dead 2. I hope this delay results in it having the 3 games on the disk and not just the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Played the first Spyro recently.

It's not a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not to be an ass about it, but not sure why anyone who is not 10 years old would want to play Spyro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Not to be an ass about it, but not sure why anyone who is not 10 years old would want to play Spyro...

I can't understand why someone would be nostalgic for Spyro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I was nostalgic, went back to see.

It's trash. It doesn't hold up in the way that Crash did, and that is debatable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I fully enjoyed the Crash remakes, both in terms of nostalgia but also the gameplay (some levels and gameplay elements are horrendous and were even back then, but the good outweighs the bad imo).

But, I don't have any nostalgia for the Spyro games (think I only ever played maybe a demo for the first and second games), and from the gameplay trailers so far I don't think the gameplay will draw me in like the Crash games did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I can't understand why someone would be nostalgic for Spyro.

I loved Spyro when I was a kid. Only ever played the original game, but I’ll probably give the remake a go at some point. I’d assume the controls have been brought up to modern standards and the gameplay has been updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Because dragons. Raaaar!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"Desperados III announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC"

Excitingly, it's being developed by Mimimi Productions, who did the rather good Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There was a Desperados 2!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not sure if this is more suited to Arcade & Retro but thought it was kind of neat...

As an aside, anyone else never hear of the term "Eurostyle shooter" before?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah. It usually just means a shooter developed in Europe for the likes of the Amiga. They do have a different look and feel than Japanese developed/style shooters. Usually have a health bar as opposed to one hit kill.

They tend to be frowned upon by fans of the genre. Mostly because they are kind of terrible compared to Japanese shmup's. Never liked them myself

Stuff like swiv, tyrian, raptor, xenon 2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah. It usually just means a shooter developed in Europe for the likes of the Amiga. They do have a different look and feel than Japanese developed/style shooters. Usually have a health bar as opposed to one hit kill.

They tend to be frowned upon by fans of the genre. Mostly because they are kind of terrible compared to Japanese shmup's. Never liked them myself

Stuff like swiv, tyrian, raptor, xenon 2 etc.
    Ah, gotcha!

I was gona reply with "But what about Turrican?" too but it seems there's a HG101 feature on the series so I have a feeling that should answer most of my questions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Milking it a bit now, to be honest...

J. Marston wrote:

Not really, they were all available before and with all the DLC included if it is 60 quid it's good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

J. Marston wrote: »

Yeah its aimed at people who havent played them, cant really fault them for providing a trilogy pack, it will be good value.

I'll probably pick it up myself in a few years in a steam sale, so i have it forever via steam.

I currently have 2 and 3 on PS4, which will be useless in a few years unless i hang on to my PS4 forever. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement