Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looks like he's not entirely gone...

John Carmack Has New 'Full-Time' VR Job, But Is Not Quite Gone From id

As for the Rift move, don't forget he's the one that basically introduced the device to the world back at E3 2012 so it's not entirely unsurprising that he wants to become more involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Why bother? With all steam sales I would be shocked if those who interested in it does not have it all already. Damn, I dont even like Elder Scroll games and I got oblivion and Skyrim...

The first two games can be gotten free legitimetaly anyway. Morrowwind is fun, but hasn't aged at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

In no other sphere of media would the downright bullying by Beer be tolerated. Could you imagine if some Sky Sports News reporter was to launch a similar attack on Wayne Rooney for not talking to them? Gaming needs to grow up, starting with the media that covers it.

Having watched Beers obnoxious rant, the first thing that struck me was Beers sense of entitlement, the feeling that somehow Fish or Blow owe him a comment. I have listened to Beer before (he sometimes guests on the weekend confirmed podcast which I listen to now and again) and he doesn't always come across as the total arsehole that we was in this case. I think some of his comments were fuelled by his desire to keep with his schtick as the 'annoyed gamer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

does being an "annoyed gamer" appeal to people? if that's the case i could easily outstrip him in the schtick department

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

does being an "annoyed gamer" appeal to people? if that's the case i could easily outstrip him in the schtick department

It does. His show is quite interesting. Yes, he is not perfect and do **** ups like anyone, but a lot of stuff that he talks about is from a point of view of a gamer, not publisher, reviewer, developer, just a dude, who wants to take all of your money.
    His video on that Riptide torso was briliant, but then he droped ball completely on that achievement "Bros before hoes "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thomas Was Alone creator Mike Bithell has announced his new game, it is a stealth game called Volume and is meant to be like Metal Gear meets Minecraft.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-13-thomas-was-alone-creator-mike-bithell-announces-volume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Origin is now offering a full refund on games for up to 24 hours after purchase. F*ck you E... Oh wait, that's actually pretty brilliant. It's only on EA games at the moment, but still, it's pretty good.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/08/origin-now-lets-you-return-ea-game-downloads-for-full-refunds/

Kiith wrote: »
    Origin is now offering a full refund on games for up to 24 hours after purchase. F*ck you E... Oh wait, that's actually pretty brilliant. It's only on EA games at the moment, but still, it's pretty good.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/08/origin-now-lets-you-return-ea-game-downloads-for-full-refunds/
    Nice to see systems like this being implemented alright, I do wonder will third party publishers sign up though. The ToS seem open enough to dissuade certain folk from trying to take abuse it too so fingers crossed it's here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well that's bizarrely customer friendly from EA

Its 24 hours after you first launch it or 7 days after you first buy it or when its released if you pre order really fair from them

• Advertisement

Bad news for Age of Empires Online player who prefer the official servers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-20-games-for-windows-live-is-ending-for-good-in-july-2014

Wonder if this will go for all Windows Live games such as Dark Souls

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

bizmark wrote: »
    well that's bizarrely customer friendly from EA

Its 24 hours after you first launch it or 7 days after you first buy it or when its released if you pre order really fair from them

And unlike Steam, it'll actually encourage people to play the games they purchase within a week of buying them. :)

Xenji wrote: »
    Bad news for Age of Empires Online player who prefer the official servers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-20-games-for-windows-live-is-ending-for-good-in-july-2014

Wonder if this will go for all Windows Live games such as Dark Souls

So Microsoft was pushing fully digital gaming services with Xbox one and at the same time shut down games for Windows completely. As much as I hate the damn thing it's a very bad way of showing people how awesome digital platform is. Same way they shut down games for Windows, same way they would have shut down Xbox one in the future. At least now you will still be able to have discs of games and play them even after all MS servers died off.

Looks like EVE: VR is now going to get a full release called EVE: Valkyrie.

****. yes.

Huh? WTF WAS THAT?!

*The little music in the end of trailer makes me want to go and resub EVE :(

EVE: Valkyrie (formerly EVE-VR) is a multiplayer dogfighting shooter set in the EVE universe that uses virtual reality to give players the sense of being a real pilot in an EVE Online fighter. Coming 2014.

They needed to work on this even with no VR and dont bother with Dust 514...

Huh? WTF WAS THAT?!

*The little music in the end of trailer makes me want to go and resub EVE :(
    You didn't see the original trailer?

Now imagine that while wearing Oculus Rift. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

how much will this oculus rift cost when/if its released?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

bizmark wrote: »
    how much will this oculus rift cost when/if its released?

I believe it's supposed to be in the region of €200-300.

First Diablo 3 Expansion Pack
    Reaper of Souls is the first expansion for Diablo III. Blizzard revealed a whole new act, a new hero called The Crusader and the act boss: Malthael.

What has been revealed so far, behind closed doors:

The expansion is called Reaper of Souls.
    The new, playable, mid-range melee class is The Crusader.
    The level cap is increased to 70.
    The final boss will be Malthael, the angel of death.
    Endgame, itemization and the paragon system will be updated.

http://kotaku.com/diablo-iii-gets-its-first-expansion-pack-1176592023

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I might actually start playing Diablo again when that comes out. I got sick of it a while ago, but have had a weird craving for it lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

If, like me, you're a fan of Dear Esther and have been waiting for The Chinese Room to be finished with the Amnesia follow up in order to get back to their new game Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, you may be interested to know that they intend it to be a PS4 exclusive at launch and don't currently have plans to release it on PC.

https://twitter.com/ChineseRoom/status/370119742302220288.

EDIT: Here's a blog post on it as well: http://thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

sad to see guys who made their name from the pc gaming scene abandon it :( must have gotten bags of money to do so as releasing on ps4 only seems like a bad business plan until it has a decent user base

sad to see guys who made their name from the pc gaming scene abandon it :( must have gotten bags of money to do so as releasing on ps4 only seems like a bad business plan until it has a decent user base
    I highly doubt they've abandoned the platform, more likely the team of six are going to concentrate on getting the PS4 version released with the aid (both technical and financial) of Sony and then moving back onto the PC version. When the exclusivity deal with Sony expires (probably a couple of months) I'm quite sure we'll see a PC version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

3DS title Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate is heading to XBLA & PSN in HD later this year.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/19/mirror-of-fate-shining-in-hd-on-xbla-psn-this-halloween/

I bet Retro cannot wait ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

gizmo wrote: »
    I highly doubt they've abandoned the platform, more likely the team of six are going to concentrate on getting the PS4 version released with the aid (both technical and financial) of Sony and then moving back onto the PC version. When the exclusivity deal with Sony expires (probably a couple of months) I'm quite sure we'll see a PC version.

tbh there isnt much difference between a pc and a ps4 as there both x86 systems, so they would be able able to make both at the same time, now if it was ps3 only yeah that would need a dedicated team but its not, both the one and ps4 systems where made to be very very similar to a pc setup for ease of developing

wouldnt be the first dev to abandon (put less effort) the pc for the consoles and it wont be the last :(

tbh there isnt much difference between a pc and a ps4 as there both x86 systems, so they would be able able to make both at the same time, now if it was ps3 only yeah that would need a dedicated team but its not, both the one and ps4 systems where made to be very very similar to a pc setup for ease of developing
    There are two programmers on the team, while having both platforms based on an x86 architecture certainly makes things easier, it doesn't solve all of the issues inherent with multi-platform development. Either way, Sony are publishing the game with some development help coming from their Santa Monica studio so they'll more than likely be covering a portion of the development costs in exchange for timed exclusivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

New Games Based On "Terminator" 1 & 2
    UK video game publisher Reef Entertainment has acquired the exclusive console video game rights for legendary motion-picture ‘"The Terminator’" and the console and PC video game rights for its sequel ‘"Terminator 2: Judgment Day".

As a result, Reef will create brand new video games based on the sought-after licenses entitled: ‘"Terminators: The Video Game".

I haven't played any of the Reef games, but I heard about Sniper Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if they'll include "It's Your Letters" on the soundtrack. :pac:

Thiking FPS or third person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Well, their making Rambo and I believe that is first person, so maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Well, their making Rambo and I believe that is first person, so maybe.

have you seen the trailer though, it looks shít!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement