Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I wouldn't be calling what that psycho did gamer rage. Plays right into the hands of people who say video games make people violent.

I was mainly joking with the comment, but when you strip it all down thats what it was, he just happened to be psycho and had a gun.

People get rage from everything, all the mass shootings would be releasing built up rage. How many people have been caught on film with crazy road rage? I bet they would have fired off shots too if they had a gun.

There is no argument that gaming causes these issues, to prove that all the gaming community has to do is point their finger at the rest of the world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can kind of understand the rage shooters more then i can the others tbh. People get mad, and they do stupid ****. Add a pretty much unlimited supply of guns into the mix, and there's a decent chance of someone getting shot. It's the people who actually plan this sort of thing out over a period of time that terrify me.

It's going to keep happening over there though, since the only thing that happens is thoughts and prayers are sent to the victims. Not actual support or gun control laws like sensible countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kiith wrote: »
    I can kind of understand the rage shooters more then i can the others tbh. People get mad, and they do stupid ****. Add a pretty much unlimited supply of guns into the mix, and there's a decent chance of someone getting shot. It's the people who actually plan this sort of thing out over a period of time that terrify me.

It's going to keep happening over there though, since the only thing that happens is thoughts and prayers are sent to the victims. Not actual support or gun control laws like sensible countries.

Every American is, or at least should be, fully aware of the severity of guns and the damage they can cause. When your first thought out reaction to losing a game of Madden is to shoot up the same tournament you were knocked out of, I definitely can’t understand the rage shooters more than the others. I understand that people get mad and do stupid shît, but that’s a whole different type of reaction that can’t be categorised like that IMO.

Just my two cents on that bit, fully agree with the last paragraph though. Idiots putting up a picture of a candle or some shît on their Facebook and politicians and NRA members looking to deflect the blame and gush out their emotionless “thoughts and prayers” towards the victims and their families, it disgusts me to some degree. They can’t just get rid of all the guns tomorrow and be done with it, but at least make a fcuking effort like. More thorough background checks, mandatory mental health assessments, just start from there. From what I understand, getting your hands on a gun in some states is as easy as getting a phone on bill pay over here, it’s a serious purchase that should be intensely scrutinised by professionals no matter what the situation. I very rarely post about politics or anything like it on here, but as a gamer, this one hits home and you can bet your life that the dregs of journalism will try to vilify all of us for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Gamers are literally the worst.

F that noise. Was surrounded by 100s of gamers this weekend and they're the soundest people you can find. Twitter thrives on antagonism by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

F that noise. Was surrounded by 100s of gamers this weekend and they're the soundest people you can find. Twitter thrives on antagonism by design.

Some of them can be very toxic. Others are sound. Us boardsies are generally of the sound variety.

• Advertisement

Notorious wrote: »
    Some of them can be very toxic. Others are sound. Us boardsies are generally of the sound variety.

Could say this about any large group of people though so it's moot. There's just a lot of gamer hate spread through the MSM after gamergate.

I'd still rather bump into a gaming nerd at midnight than your average drunk or be around one than a person who would look down on you for gaming/any hobby or being positive about the communities surrounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Forgive the linking I'm on mobile but new Streets of Rage:

https://youtu.be/M_bgPefCyfA

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/27/streets-of-rage-4/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Notorious wrote: »

Every type of group on the likes of Twitter has a toxic element. I wouldn't single out people interested in gaming in that regard.

Forgive the linking I'm on mobile but new Streets of Rage:

https://youtu.be/M_bgPefCyfA

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/27/streets-of-rage-4/

Streets of Rage has no nostalgia factor for me so I'm going to come out and say it - that looks like absolute gick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It looks like ****. Double Dragon Neon trash. Nothing in that trailer looks good in any way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I dunno. I was watching the Cyberpunk reveal video live on youtube yesterday and a lot of the comments were dispicable. Are all gamers scum? Of course not, but we have to acknowlege that there is a dark and embarrassing element to the community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I dunno. I was watching the Cyberpunk reveal video live on youtube yesterday and a lot of the comments were dispicable. Are all gamers scum? Of course not, but we have to acknowlege that there is a dark and embarrassing element to the community

On the twitch stream? How the hell did you ever keep up with that chat, and even then why the hell would you read it? True enough though, it is an area with a particularly vocal number of moaning bollix's. Though to be fair they often try and stick in the same areas, if you check the Cyberpunk subreddit it's nearly exclusively rave reviews - and rightly so. I'm not one to get overly excited about upcoming games or reveal/gameplay trailers but I'm still scraping my jaw off the ground from that.

Lots of assholes in every walk of life and with every hobby. The gaming community would just have a more visible online presence with a lot of young people - who are going to be more likely to troll with their comments imo.

There's a dark and embarrassing element to the internet in general. It's the same across pretty much all social media as well, as people get to say awful **** and hide behind the anonymity of their online persona. The "gamer" scene have a bigger presence online than other groups, so you tend to see if more.

who are going to be more likely to troll with their comments imo.
    That's my point I guess. I know every group has a negative element, but with gamers it's very visible

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Billy86 wrote: »
    On the twitch stream? How the hell did you ever keep up with that chat, and even then why the hell would you read it? True enough though, it is an area with a particularly vocal number of moaning bollix's. Though to be fair they often try and stick in the same areas, if you check the Cyberpunk subreddit it's nearly exclusively rave reviews - and rightly so. I'm not one to get overly excited about upcoming games or reveal/gameplay trailers but I'm still scraping my jaw off the ground from that.

4fc.jpg

Billy86 wrote: »
    On the twitch stream? How the hell did you ever keep up with that chat, and even then why the hell would you read it? .

I wasn't actively reading it, but when I would glance at it it would either be entitled cretins saying hateful stuff because the game isn't in third person perspective or people making trans jokes.

but with gamers it's very visible

because....you're......a gamer? :confused:

But seriously, the reason for that is a lot of games are played through computers... whats connected to computers? the internet! whats also connected to computers? keyboards and phones with keyboards, instant rage outlets

giphy.gif

The original Onimusha is coming to all systems. I know I've played the second one but have little memory of it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Interesting, I do remember playing it, and the sequel, but I can't remember anything about it. I know I enjoyed it, but it's definitely not an all time classic that I would think would be in line for a re-release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Onimusha 3 would be my pick if they're going to just do one game from the series. Always felt it felt in that awkward middle ground between Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Every type of group on the likes of Twitter has a toxic element. I wouldn't single out people interested in gaming in that regard.

That was my point. Every group in the world follows that persona. Some people are jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Like the look of this, I miss dealing since Chinatown Wars

2K Games want the help of Belgian gamers to allow them to get loot boxes back in their games. Because we all love loot boxes so much, and will do anything to get them back in...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nba-2k19/2k-asks-belgium-fans-for-loot-box-help?tw=PCGN2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Divinity 2 : Original Sin is getting good reviews. Looks very Diabloey. Hadn't heard of this before, worth getting for console?

It's considered one of the best rpg's of the last decade, so yeah i'd say it's worth it (assuming you like isometric rpg's).

Kiith wrote: »
    2K Games want the help of Belgian gamers to allow them to get loot boxes back in their games. Because we all love loot boxes so much, and will do anything to get them back in...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nba-2k19/2k-asks-belgium-fans-for-loot-box-help?tw=PCGN2

Cry me a fúcking river…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Cry me a fúcking river…

So are 2k games essentially saying, hey Belgian gamers you're going to suck playing online because other gamers are going to have access to better teams by result of loot boxes?

It didn't say this in the article but seems this may be the inference, which is pretty f'n rich.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Divinity 2 : Original Sin is getting good reviews. Looks very Diabloey. Hadn't heard of this before, worth getting for console?

Its nothing like Diablo combat, its turn based attacks. Id advise watching someone play it on twitch or youtube to get a feel for how it works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement