Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You mean all PC players ever, we are the only ones who have this option.

PS4 lads cant wait for a steam sale or humble sale etc:

We are not the cause of this, incorrect prices at release are the problem.
    As a matter of interest, when you said that you felt €20 was about right for Far Cry 5 during the week, does that mean you feel that it should have been that price at release or you feel like a game such as that should be on sale for 66% off a little less than six months after release?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't speak for Xbox but I think more ps players are definitely falling into the 'wait for sale' category these days. Games tend to drop or go on sale after a month so people wait. Also, people are getting sick of getting burnt by broken games at launch. It can be with waiting for a sale and getting a patched game at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

gizmo wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, when you said that you felt €20 was about right for Far Cry 5 during the week, does that mean you feel that it should have been that price at release or you feel like a game such as that should be on sale for that price six months after release?

I generally go with a €1 per hour scale for an SP game so I would have to play X to get X value. I bought FC5 for the coop so it blurred my scale I played 42 hours of it but a lot of that was fecking about waiting for someone to join or open ports....... 20 is a fair price for it even considering the DLC (which I bought)

MP games obviously vary ie: I have 2,000 hours in Arma 3 and Elite Dangerous. I paid full price for those (actually €150 for A3)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I generally go with a €1 per hour scale for an SP game so I would have to play X to get X value. I bought FC5 for the coop so it blurred my scale I played 42 hours of it but a lot of that was fecking about waiting for someone to join or open ports....... 20 is a fair price for it even considering the DLC (which I bought)

MP games obviously vary ie: I have 2,000 hours in Arma 3 and Elite Dangerous. I paid full price for those (actually €150 for A3)
    Interesting, cheers for the answer! :)

It's definitely not a scale I'd subscribe to myself and I kinda share K.O.Kiki's concern that there's a certain amount of warping occurring with regard to how certain groups of folk value certain types games. I guess I'm mostly concerned with how it affects the kind of single player games I tend to enjoy. While there's obviously a bias on my end there, it also does tend to be the type of game which can be messed with the most in order to remain viable. It started last generation with publishers jamming multiplayer and co-op into everything in order to entice people in and keep playing and over time has mutated into studios focusing on multiplayer-only content post-release (GTA V) and even more recently, the dropping of the single player campaign entirely in lieu of a new multiplayer mode.

What's most interesting about that last example, Black Ops 4, though is that the retail price for the game hasn't changed, despite this shift, and I've yet to see any significant vocal push back on it. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks...

There is absolutely no reason at all to pay full price for a single player campaign game. Sony are very good at getting people to do it, look at spider-man for example, a good game don't get me wrong but it was hyped up to the max. They invest heavily in their marketing and it works, but take the hype away and you have a game that will be just as good if you wait 3 months for a discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's great to see gamers refuse to pay a fair price for games then wonder why the majority of studios refuse to take risks on new IP or go out of business.

It's great to see gamers refuse to pay a fair price for games then wonder why the majority of studios refuse to take risks on new IP or go out of business.
    They go out of business because their business model is out of date. There are games people just can't wait to play and are happy to pay full price, witcher 3 for example. But I paid 20 euro for witcher 3 and got the exact same experience as people who bought day 1. But witcher 3 is obviously in a completely different league. The problem with the likes of tell tale games is you can wait for it to be cheaper and by the time it's on discount you can probably comfortably skip it all together. So there is an argument that their games just don't fit the single player campaign business model which to me only works with top notch AAA games of the calibre of spider-man, witcher 3, God of War etc. Even Red Dead even though it will have multiplayer its mostly about the single player campaign for most people. And the model requires a huge investment in marketing to hype the game up in order to get preorders and early full price purchases.

Piracy is also a factor on PC. Single player campaigns can be played in full without paying a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

That’s BS! When the PS3 was in its prime, a new release cost €45 in Game. Today, a new PS4 release costs €70/80 in Gamestop. Go to the PS Store and Spider-Man will cost you €80 (absolutely outrageous for a digital download).

That’s nearly double the price for a new release. Some of it will be down to inflation and improvements in technology, but the kicker here is that improvements in communication and tech should also be assisting in driving the price of games down! Better broadband worldwide means that all of these companies have access to a larger market than ever.

Game Devs work in horrid conditions (or so we’re constantly told), and plan on unionising (fair play to them). Companies potentially have access to cheaper labour than they will have once unions and working time directives kick in, so the price of games will only go up.

Studios are greedy and in general games are far too expensive. Lower the price and gamers might not be tempted to wait for sale prices to kick in.

I won’t dive into my issue with subscribing to a consoles online platform to access servers which allow you to play online games, which you paid for.

Can't have this discussion without mentioning Fortnite. A free game that is earning millions. People pay what they feel is worth it through cosmetics. Enough said.

Also Xbox game pass. 80 euro a year for a steady flow of games. Granted they are not there yet with the "original content" but it has set them up nicely with a very sustainable business model for the next gen. And I wouldn't be surprised to see 3rd party games next gen designed with a service based model (eg Minecraft and Sea of Thieves) specifically targeting game pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Any rumors about who may pick up Telltale's IP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Any rumors about who may pick up Telltale's IP?
    Nobody, they're licensed.. They don't own the Ips.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's apparently going to be an animated Diablo series produced by Netflix.
    An animated Diablo TV series is reportedly in the works, and will be distributed via Netflix. In a tweet from earlier this week that has since been deleted, Andrew Cosby, who is the screenwriter of the animated Hellboy adaptation coming next year, confirmed the project.

In the tweet, posted on Wednesday night, Cosby said he would be show-running the new series. The post reads that “I guess I can confirm I am indeed in final talks to write and show-run the new DIABLO animated series for Activision and Netflix.” He goes on to say that “It’s very exciting and I hope to the High Heavens it all works out,” referencing Diablo’s Realm of the Angels.

Blizzard IPs are highly polished but extremely derivitive works who get by on mechanical depth, incredible production value, diligent post-launch support and excellent art direction.

Making TV shows out of their material feels like closing the sort of human centipede poo-loop of rehashed fantasy and sci-fi ideas, and I can't imagine it'll end better than the Warcraft film, which was pretty bad, but not as bad as it could have been.

That Castlevania show wasn't something for the ages, but it did look great. If they can match that sort of production then even if it's kinda pointless, well-trodden guff, it might be worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Interesting, cheers for the answer! :)

It's definitely not a scale I'd subscribe to myself and I kinda share K.O.Kiki's concern that there's a certain amount of warping occurring with regard to how certain groups of folk value certain types games. I guess I'm mostly concerned with how it affects the kind of single player games I tend to enjoy. While there's obviously a bias on my end there, it also does tend to be the type of game which can be messed with the most in order to remain viable. It started last generation with publishers jamming multiplayer and co-op into everything in order to entice people in and keep playing and over time has mutated into studios focusing on multiplayer-only content post-release (GTA V) and even more recently, the dropping of the single player campaign entirely in lieu of a new multiplayer mode.

What's most interesting about that last example, Black Ops 4, though is that the retail price for the game hasn't changed, despite this shift, and I've yet to see any significant vocal push back on it. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks...

Thing is, that these days games on launch can cost as much as 100eu! Any new game you check coming out in near future has 3 versions!!! Its a bit psychological. You buy only standard edition and you know you dont have a full game! Paying 100eu for a game is a bit of piss take. Maybe games still cost 60eu on a paper, but everyone knows its not really true anymore. In some cases base games are pretty much dysfunctional if you buy only standard game when dlc comes out. Destiny for example?
    I stoped buying Battlefield series after BF4. Its was 60eu for game and 50eu for premium. Thats a lot! This year I just got myself EA acess and 15eu premium pass for BF1. Had great crack for the money.
    I buy full priced games on launch very rarely these days. MHW I payed 69.99eu to MS, because I massive fan of MH series and I wanted it digital. Forza 7 was same. Other then that, I only buy during MS, steam, PS sales. Waiting half a year and buying it for less just makes financial sense to me,( Unless its Nintendo first party stuff), Specially when majority of games come out broken and with flawed designs. Great example is Division 1. It was pure mess until it got fixed. So I picked it up this year with season pass for 30eu and had a blast. Got about 200h playtime out of it. If I had bought it for 100eu back then I would be really pissed off and might not even touch any Division games ever.

In my personal opinion big publisher boys just went too far in recent years, so I kind of skiping all big titles until they are on sale. Much prefer smaller games these days. Factorio was like most addictive drug for me. 24eu only and I already have almost 300h in it! Majority of those were in first 4 months!!! Smaller developer, unique idea, no bull****.

I love MS idea of game pass. First party title going there on launch and you get plenty of older games to play. Love Forza games and wont be buying it for the very first time. Instead will get 6 month game pass for 40ish quid and play other stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If people buy a lot of copies of one game it's likely going to lead to a sequel of that game rather than a deluge of new IP's. When you see closing studios often it's down to mistakes on their end & not the consumer. This could be unrealistic expectations on sales or changing a game to include a season pass/passes, multiplayer, microtransactions or rushing a broken game to market.
    Case in point Fire Pro Wrestling World. Couldn't wait for it on PS4 even though it's a niche title this game has a 50 dollar season pass that is just withheld content that takes away from the base game. The game itself despite a NJPW licence is barely a 50 dollar game due to leaning so heavily on community created content. Am I supposed to pay 100 quid to hope that enough people besides me buy it so they make another one which will just do the same thing if it works the first time out. Sorry but that's bullsh*t :mad:
    People who actually supported Telltale in this situation got f**ked too which is getting ignored as they bought the season pass and some probably have no clue it's done next week. I just looked on Steam and PSN to see that Walking Dead is still not only on there but still full price as you couldn't buy the episodes individually and no mention of changes.

• Sad but a nice gesture :(

"Bethesda helps 12-year-old boy with rare cancer fulfil his wish of playing Fallout 76"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-22-bethesda-helps-12-year-old-boy-with-rare-cancer-fulfil-his-wish-of-playing-fallout-76

• Looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like a PS3 game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    looks like a PS3 game

You are already dead.

Some day Platinum will get the FotNS contract and we can finally get the game we deserve. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Following on from the ratings application in South Korea, Castlevania: SoTN + RoB on PS4 has gotten an ESRB rating in America.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35857&Title=Castlevania+Requiem%3a+Symphony+of+the+Night+%26+Rondo+of+Blood

Given the timing, could we see an announce/release in time for Halloween? (Netflix cartoon 2nd season also out end of Oct, potentially a very 'Vania month)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some day Platinum will get the FotNS contract and we can finally get the game we deserve. :o

Most of the God Hand staff are at Platinum and it's the closest we will get, although I trust the Yakuza team to deliver.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Following on from the ratings application in South Korea, Castlevania: SoTN + RoB on PS4 has gotten an ESRB rating in America.

https://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=35857&Title=Castlevania+Requiem%3a+Symphony+of+the+Night+%26+Rondo+of+Blood

Given the timing, could we see an announce/release in time for Halloween? (Netflix cartoon 2nd season also out end of Oct, potentially a very 'Vania month)

Already leaked as coming to switch along with rumours of a roll out of other Vania games such as GBA/DS collections.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Already leaked as coming to switch along with rumours of a roll out of other Vania games such as GBA/DS collections.

At least Konami are doing something with the licence now
    But I suspect we may not get any of 1-3 on the Nintendo Online Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I know it's been rumoured for ages for Switch but has there been a leak of it happening? Haven't come across anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

ERG89 wrote: »
    At least Konami are doing something with the licence now
    But I suspect we may not get any of 1-3 on the Nintendo Online Service.

Re releasing old games isn't really doing anything though is it?

Pretty sure Korean ratings board leaked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure Korean ratings board leaked it.

That was only PS4. Pretty sure it's only a matter of time anyway for Switch.

Re releasing old games isn't really doing anything though is it?

It's better than leaving those games to further rot into obscurity or a pachy slot machine.
    I'd love them to release the old Castlevania games as there is an audience for them now more than ever; I even wish they'd give Bluepoint Games a Silent Hill or Metal Gear Solid to remake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I'd much prefer new games, the remakes and remasters are out of control now. We'll eventually end up playing the same loop of the same games for eternity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement