Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's a pretty big development for console gamers I would think. I use a projector and gaming PC so it's a more similar setup on the couch etc and the mini wireless keyboard (about 20cm long) plus wireless mouse means clutter isn't even a remote issue when I use it for the PC generally or for some point-and-click games.

I'm sure the demand wouldn't be near where it is on PC for them, but this potentially opens up another little world of games to you if you're on XBox (and makes some others already out like XCom an awful lot easier to use, I would imagine). Doesn't impact me personally being on PC but if I were on XBox only I'd be fairly excited about that news.

My concern would be playing against K&M players on a multiplayer FPS game, would be a huge disadvantage to controller players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Benzino wrote: »
    My concern would be playing against K&M players on a multiplayer FPS game, would be a huge disadvantage to controller players.

It's up to the developers to enable it so I doubt that will happen and if it does there'll be enough outrage on the internet to get it turned off or implemented differently most likely. At the very worst I would expect it to be opt in whether you get matchmade with KB&M players.

The main benefit I can see is for strategy games and for menu navigation in games like Ark or PUBG (this was way more of a handicap for me than using a controller to shoot the few times I played it on console).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say they won't allow it in competitive games. Warframe is a good place to implement it as it's cooperative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's already happened (Overwatch subreddit like to moan about it especially), now you don't have to pay for the adapter at least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Tough titties :D If you're going down that route then ban all 3rd party controllers with extra attention paid to sensitivity and accuracy or ban all fighting game sticks. It's a pointless argument, if you can't afford a tenner for a mouse and keyboard but you can sped €60 on a game then you're doing something wrong. It's not like you need a €100 mechanical keyboard and a €70 10 button mouse to batter controller users.

I've tried to play Warframe on PC with a controller, I can't. It's a twitchy reflex game and unless you're some manner of robot with magic thumbs to be able to get the sensitivity both high enough and maintain accuracy to be able to play it as intended, then it's a very frustrating experience when compared with using a proper M&KB interface to play.

I've been hovering around the idea of a new PC for the last few months, but if an Xbox One X has M&KB support then I'm getting that instead. Now lets hope games like Civ, or pretty much anything Paradox publish all make the trip over to the XBox if this is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    Tough titties :D If you're going down that route then ban all 3rd party controllers with extra attention paid to sensitivity and accuracy or ban all fighting game sticks. It's a pointless argument, if you can't afford a tenner for a mouse and keyboard but you can sped €60 on a game then you're doing something wrong. It's not like you need a €100 mechanical keyboard and a €70 10 button mouse to batter controller users.

I've tried to play Warframe on PC with a controller, I can't. It's a twitchy reflex game and unless you're some manner of robot with magic thumbs to be able to get the sensitivity both high enough and maintain accuracy to be able to play it as intended, then it's a very frustrating experience when compared with using a proper M&KB interface to play.

I've been hovering around the idea of a new PC for the last few months, but if an Xbox One X has M&KB support then I'm getting that instead. Now lets hope games like Civ, or pretty much anything Paradox publish all make the trip over to the XBox if this is the case.

It's not just the cost of the KB/M though, some people play sitting on the couch or in a comfy chair. Going to be more difficult to properly use a KB/M there. I play games lying in my comfy recliner, no way I could use KB/M sitting like that.

I agree lots of players may have more expensive controllers, or fight sticks etc. But KB/M brings with it an extra level of disparity, when one of the bonuses of playing MP on console is that the majority of players are all playing with the same framerate, same input methods as everyone else, with few exceptions. Allowing KB/M in competitive MP games would increase the number of exceptions, which could either discourage people from playing, or force them to use KB/M when they don't want to.

I think devs would be right not to allow it in competitive MP on console in as much as is possible. As little as I play competitive MP games (pretty much just Overwatch for the past few years), an influx of KB/M opponents means I just wouldn't bother.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Funny you mention Paradox as Stellaris was announced for console a few weeks ago.

Every game isn't going to have support straight off the bat though, it's up to the respective devs to implement it. This makes the arguments about level playing fields etc fairly moot imo, not to mention consoles are already rife with KB&M players and the sky hasn't fallen in yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Possibly true, as retr0gamer said it might make sense to leave it off competitive. I don't play online FPS games much at all but haven't done so bad playing with a 360 controller on PC on them when I have. Not exactly good either, and when you are playing at a high level it can make a huge difference of course... but it's not at all as big a disadvantage as I was expecting on the "run around and shoot at everything like a headless chicken" level of skill I apply to these games. :D

Actually, how does that impact on Fortnite does anyone know, out of interest? E.g. one person on XBox or mobile or whatever vs another on PC with kb+m?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's already happened (Overwatch subreddit like to moan about it especially), now you don't have to pay for the adapter at least.

I was not aware you could do this? Is it also on PS4? Would explain why I'm losing a lot this season :pac:

As mentioned, it has nothing to do with cost, but more comfort. I play on console so I can sit back on the couch and relax, not so easy with a keyboard and mouse.

Also, couldn't your cost argument also be applied to pay 2 win mechanics ;) I jest! :D

• Advertisement

on the other hand for many price isn't the reason for not using kb+m, it's just that we don't enjoy using it. For me there is no specific reason I can identify outside of it maybe being growing up on the nes/snes era where the older keyboard consoles and their games looked awful to 7 year old me. I use it all the time for xcom and such but for almost any other kind of game I just can't even phantom having any interstate in kb+m which just seems a chore.

To each their own of course, I'm just giving my take on controller vs kb+m. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Between Microsoft being quite aware of what can happen when controller and KB&M players are mixed together in various games and Epic finally allowing Fortnite players to filter matches by platform after a fairly prolonged outcry, I can't imagine MS either strongly encouraging, if not forcing, developers to allow players to chose whether they want to be mixed with the other controller type when they play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keyboard and Mouse is just fundamentally better for any third or first person shooter. There's no argument against it.

However using a keyboard and mouse on a couch isn't exactly ideal.

Also a mix of KB&M and gamepad in competitive games isn't fun for both users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Might not be news to others but I didn't realise that Sony was allowing cross play with Fortnite. They've just launched the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sony trialing Fortnite Cross-Play beta, will possibly extend to other games

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/09/26/extended-fortnite-cross-play-beta-launches-on-ps4-starting-today/
    Following a comprehensive evaluation process, SIE has identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third party content. We recognize that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and we appreciate the community’s continued patience as we have navigated through this issue to find a solution.

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.

For 24 years, we have strived to deliver the best gaming experience to our fans by providing a uniquely PlayStation perspective. Today, the communities around some games have evolved to the point where cross-platform experiences add significant value to players. In recognition of this, we have completed a thorough analysis of the business mechanics required to ensure that the PlayStation experience for our users remains intact today, and in the future, as we look to open up the platform.

This represents a major policy change for SIE, and we are now in the planning process across the organization to support this change. We will update the community once we have more details to share, including more specifics regarding the beta timeframe, and what this means for other titles going forward.

At least the fears of them just saying "We hear what you're saying and will look into it" before ignoring it forever can be relaxed. Looks like they are accepting this is what players want. Should have happened sooner, but at least it's happening.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I could have sworn I heard that Microsoft said that developers will be able to detect the players using a keyboard and mouse and put them into a separate lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Devs won't support the use keyboard and mouse for competitive FPS games.

In the FPS genre you'll only see it in co-op games or co-op modes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I could have sworn I heard that Microsoft said that developers will be able to detect the players using a keyboard and mouse and put them into a separate lobby.

Yeah, a presentation for developers leaked a while back, it's "highly suggested" that usage of KBM be used as part of any matchmaking rules.

Windows Central had the leak here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wonder if it will split the competitive console FPS scene in two.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I fully support separate lobbies based on control method by the way - think of some of the biggest games around atm that offer lobby selection based on 3rd person or 1st person view - it should follow that sort of path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm totally against KBM on console 'twitch' games. The KBM is too accurate for stuff like that, and it would completely divide the playerbase. Yes, 100% it in for the strategy games, even NMS or Elite: Dangerous, but it should never be part of, or compatible with, twitch reaction games, like CoD, BF, Fortshyte, or games like Uncharted, etc. I do have a slight issue with better controllers in general, and as much as the Xbox Elite controller is pretty damn good, it's akin to a pay2win system. I haven't had to play Xbox online this gen, so I can't say how much it affects the game, but anything that gives a slight advantage that is not due to skill or luck is not ok in my book. But, what people with money want, they shall get.

If they bring KBM to the online games I play on PS4 (mostly CoD), it would stop me playing them if I couldn't filter them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Are there not players using converters already so as to use keyboard and mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Are there not players using converters already so as to use keyboard and mouse?

Yep, when I played on consoles I used a XIM adapter which worked well. It didn't allow the mouse to move any faster than an analogue stick at max sensitivity but I used it for the comfort of a mouse, just preference and what I was used to.

Using an analogue stick for anything that requires aiming is a nightmare to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Its good they adding keyboard and mouse. It was coming and we all knew. Current consoles becoming more like pc.

As old school pc gamer I dont mind it, even if my pc is my sim rig for racing games and majority of my gaming is on xbox one x.
    I am pretty sure developers know the issues and that mixing controller and m/k players together will end in tears. Its not secret that m/k will be always have advantage over controllers in shooters and strategies.

Fortinte again proved that it can be solved. All platforms cross play and matchmaking filters players by they input choice. So controller gamers play with each other and m/k play with other m/k players. Issue solved. If other developers stick with this, then I cant see issue. Unfortunately it might split player base in games with already small player base.

Its good they adding keyboard and mouse. It was coming and we all knew. Current consoles becoming more like pc.

As old school pc gamer I dont mind it, even if my pc is my sim rig for racing games and majority of my gaming is on xbox one x.
    I am pretty sure developers know the issues and that mixing controller and m/k players together will end in tears. Its not secret that m/k will be always have advantage over controllers in shooters and strategies.

Fortinte again proved that it can be solved. All platforms cross play and matchmaking filters players by they input choice. So controller gamers play with each other and m/k play with other m/k players. Issue solved. If other developers stick with this, then I cant see issue. Unfortunately it might split player base in games with already small player base.
    That's really the only problem with this, with a small pool of players its going to mix the input types rather than tell you there's nobody available. Much the same way you will get mixed with higher skilled players when there is nobody available at your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    "The values are the same, the humour is important. Theme Hospital had its own quirky off-centre, offbeat take on the sim genre. It didn't take itself too seriously, but under the hood there was actually quite a deep sim."

http://www.pcgamer.com/two-point-hospital-is-a-new-management-sim-from-the-creators-of-theme-hospital/

Looking forward to this :) Loved Theme Hospital! Hopefully it avoids some recent business practices (or pokes fun at it - microtransactions for levels of treatment)

I found out about this randomly yesterday, it's here and on steam :eek::eek:
    https://www.twopointhospital.com/
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/535930/Two_Point_Hospital/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Billy86 wrote: »
    I -think- this is it. Seems pretty bare to put it mildly, though I've not played a GOW since the second one so that would also be on the list, and I know it got a lot of grief but I'd be sure I'll stick on Sea of Thieves for a few hours to see what the craic is.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games?cat=xpa

GOW4 is 131 gigs! My trial would be over by the time it downloaded.

GOW4 is 131 gigs! My trial would be over by the time it downloaded.

Sweet jesus! I'm fortunate enough to download at up to 30mbps, but I'd almost want to put a timer on that just out of sheer interest all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Katamari Damacy Reroll out on Steam Dec 7th and Switch Dec 20th.

A lovely little Xmas gift!

In Japenese, but can see the dates and cover art.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement