Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Skerries wrote: »
    have you seen the trailer though, it looks shít!

It doesn't look gorgeous for sure, but it might be good crack. Might as well stick up the trailer for Rambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

dat hair :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Looks a bit rough alright. But I think it suits it in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dat hair :pac:

Jelly much!? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Huzzah!!! Rebellion are planning on making Evil Genius 2!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/26/evil-genius-to-get-fully-featured-pc-follow-up-also-erm-a-facebook-game/

From what they say, I'm assuming it'll be coming to Kickstarter soon.

• Advertisement

EA – "We don't deliver offline experiences anymore." Free-to-Play Part of Every EA Franchise

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/60143/ea-we-dont-deliver-offline-experiences-anymore-free-to-play-part-of-every-ea-franchise

Great. :rolleyes:

Internet goes Bang

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EA – "We don't deliver offline experiences anymore." Free-to-Play Part of Every EA Franchise

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/60143/ea-we-dont-deliver-offline-experiences-anymore-free-to-play-part-of-every-ea-franchise

Great. :rolleyes:

EA make more money with it even with all the bitching, whining, and empty threats of boycotts.

Varik wrote: »
    EA make more money with it even with all the bitching, whining, and empty threats of boycotts.

I could not give a flying **** how much money they make or will, its just a shame that we wount see a nice good single player games, every single one of them will be stuffed with online shiete which is not needed. Look how greatly Sim CITY turned out.

Connecting... Synchronising... Analysing... Thinking... Understanding... Crashing... Refunding...

• Advertisement

EA don't make many single player games, and the ones they do all have micro-transactions. Moore isn't revealing some dark plan, he's just repeating the company line that's been in place for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Keep in mind that EA is a developer and a publisher. Dragon Age 3 is coming out in the next year or so, developed by BioWare and published by EA. I doubt that's going to have a significant online portion.

It'll be the same as the last two, where you can login online and buy extra content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

danthefan wrote: »
    Keep in mind that EA is a developer and a publisher. Dragon Age 3 is coming out in the next year or so, developed by BioWare and published by EA. I doubt that's going to have a significant online portion.

High hopes for Mirrors Edge 2!

/not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I could not give a flying **** how much money they make or will, its just a shame that we wount see a nice good single player games, every single one of them will be stuffed with online shiete which is not needed. Look how greatly Sim CITY turned out.

Well you should care as that's what they base their decision on and as it's working there going to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So to bring up the Xbox one arguments again, does this mean you can only play an EA game if you have internet access, which I'm guessing would need to be broadband?

So that's why they've been consumer friendly recently. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not that I disagree with any of the above but even ignoring the money side of things, consider this...

There are 16,494 threads in the Games Forum, the earliest of which dates back to Jan 12th, 1999.
    The thread on The Simpsons: Tapped Out is the third most popular, non-stickied thread on the entire forum.
    It weighs in at 3,683 posts and 101,097 views.

Mirrors Edge had two threads dedicated to it, with a combined post count of 99.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This FTT bollox is all about revenue....you buy the 65 quid game then pay 3 or 4 times that price through micro transactions. Its about keeping the revenue flowing after the 6 week post launch period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This FTT bollox is all about revenue....you buy the 65 quid game then pay 3 or 4 times that price through micro transactions. Its about keeping the revenue flowing after the 6 week post launch period.

That isn't what he is talking about. Read what he says again.

"Peter Moore states in an interview with Engadget that the company plans to implement free-to-play in every major EA franchise from now on."

"Peter Moore brings up Battlefield and FIFA as two franchises that have excelled at free-to-play, also adding that the model will be expanding to every major EA franchise. The company recently announced Heroes of Dragon Age, a free-to-play mobile game in the Dragon Age universe."

This isn't about making every game online only like SimCity or adding loads of micro transactions to games. This is about creating free version of existing franchises that I assume will have micro transactions in them. You'll still have BattleField 4, FIFA and Dragon Age games and they will stay largely as they already are but you'll also have a FTP Battlefield game, a FTP FIFA game (possibly the mobile version that is coming out) and FTP Dragon Age game (like the one that is currently on Facebook.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And people say games can't teach valuable lessons :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

there already was a ftp facebook game with micro's already but it closed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

"Peter Moore states in an interview with Engadget that the company plans to implement free-to-play in every major EA franchise from now on."

"Peter Moore brings up Battlefield and FIFA as two franchises that have excelled at free-to-play, also adding that the model will be expanding to every major EA franchise. The company recently announced Heroes of Dragon Age, a free-to-play mobile game in the Dragon Age universe."

This isn't about making every game online only like SimCity or adding loads of micro transactions to games. This is about creating free version of existing franchises that I assume will have micro transactions in them. You'll still have BattleField 4, FIFA and Dragon Age games and they will stay largely as they already are but you'll also have a FTP Battlefield game, a FTP FIFA game (possibly the mobile version that is coming out) and FTP Dragon Age game (like the one that is currently on Facebook.

I think in Korean they have a f2p FIFA game. I remember a year or two ago EA saying they were studying that market for f2p ideas.

I think in Korean they have a f2p FIFA game. I remember a year or two ago EA saying they were studying that market for f2p ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Ya Fifa Online 3 is the Korean F2P game. Its hugely popular over there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Moore is more than likely referring to the likes of the Ultimate Team system in Fifa which has proven pretty damn successful for them. For instance, UT for Fifa 13 generated over $108m last year alone. From Q1 this year (April till the end of June) they earned another $70m from both digital sales of Fifa itself and Ultimate Team, a figure that represents a 92% increase over the same figure for Fifa 12 last year.

As much as I detest the constant encroachment of such features into my single player games, I also can't see how a public company like EA would be able to not concentrate on such ridiculously lucrative avenues. :(

gizmo wrote: »
    Moore is more than likely referring to the likes of the Ultimate Team system in Fifa which has proven pretty damn successful for them. For instance, UT for Fifa 13 generated over $108m last year alone. From Q1 this year (April till the end of June) they earned another $70m from both digital sales of Fifa itself and Ultimate Team, a figure that represents a 92% increase over the same figure for Fifa 12 last year.

As much as I detest the constant encroachment of such features into my single player games, I also can't see how a public company like EA would be able to not concentrate on such ridiculously lucrative avenues. :(

How much money they make on FIFA?! :eek: I knew FIFA is big, but I did not realised hoe big. Though the transaction system they got in FIFA might ( and wount i guess ) not work in traditional games. I would really love to see how much money was generated by micro transaction in games like Dead space 3. I guess it would be a better representation of traditional gaming then Fifa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

How much money they make on FIFA?! :eek: I knew FIFA is big, but I did not realised hoe big. Though the transaction system they got in FIFA might ( and wount i guess ) not work in traditional games. I would really love to see how much money was generated by micro transaction in games like Dead space 3. I guess it would be a better representation of traditional gaming then Fifa?

Fifa 13 has sold 14.5million copies so far. DS3 couldnt be doing that well as the model is forced where Fifa UT is a trading card game and was designed with a transaction model in mind

Good old Blizzard.

The Hearthstone Beta is launched for North America, Latin America, Aus/NZ and Asia. EU the only major playerbase left out. EU gets told their beta launches shortly after US.

Tweet goes up yesterday

5uhLgi.jpg

What gets posted is this:
    Following the exciting showing at gamescom in Cologne, Germany, the Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft team has an announcement to make—the European closed beta test is nearly here!

In a few weeks, assuming all the cards have been properly shuffled, the murlocs have all been corralled, and the mana crystals have all been polished, we’ll start inviting players who’ve opted in to start playing. Exciting times!

We’re really looking forward to you all getting a chance to check out this game, and we think everyone’s going to enjoy it—whether you love card games or have never played them before.

There’s still time to sign up, so don’t delay! Once the EU closed beta test starts, we’ll begin working through the list of everyone who’s signed up, letting in a few groups at a time, so please be patient if you don’t get in straight away. Those murloc minions take a while to enter Battle.net addresses. Once you’ve been checked off the list, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to download the game and start playing. Happy dueling!

EU Blizz fans
    ii3D37gPRGx5J.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No surprise Blizzard have always treated the EU region with contempt

• Advertisement

EA, Right Face... About turn!

http://www.ea.com/news/a-quick-clarification-on-online-games
    ...Today, most games are “online” in some way, shape or form. Many games connect in online multiplayer modes; others include online services which allow for periodic content updates, sharing stats or achievements or connecting with friends; and others are games downloaded through digital delivery methods like Origin or the App Store. The reality is, the Internet and social connectivity touches every one of our titles today – and has for several years.

What that does NOT mean is that every game we ship will require an online connection. Many, if not most, of our games include single-player, offline modes that you can play entirely without an Internet connection, if you so choose. We know that’s something many of our players want, and we will continue to deliver it...

PETER MOORE, Chief Operating Officer, EA.

Dismissed. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement