Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have quite a bit of respect for Mark Kern, he's done great work over the years and was obviously a massive, massive influence on WoW.

But, the man has no clue what's he's talking about here and is just looking for attention.
    BLIZZARD DOESN'T UNDERSTAND GAMERS ANYMORE

Yeah, Blizzard dropped the ball with the Diablo announcement, but let's look at what Blizzard announced which people loved at the exact same event.

World of Warcraft
    World of Warcraft: Classic
    WoW Classic is set for release in the Summer of 2019.
    Free to anyone with a live subscription <-- this is a big deal

WoW BFA Content:
    Patch 8.1 - Tides of Vengeance and Patch 8.1.5
    Kul Tiran Humans & Zandalari Trolls Allied Races were updated to show available classes and racials.
    Patch 8.1 is slated for release on December 11th, 2018. New raid will not open until early 2019.

Patch 8.1.5 will bring updates to the Darkmoon Faire, Brawler's Guild, Microholidays and more.

Warsong Gulch and Arathi Basin Visual Upgrades.

Patch 8.2 - Rise of Azshara and Beyond.

Updates to Goblin and Worgen models.
    Rise of Azshara includes lots of new content with a release date to be determined.
    Two New Landmasses to explore - Nazjatar and Mechagon.
    New Mega Dungeon - Mechagon.
    New Raid - Azshara's Eternal Throne.
    Gnome and Tauren Heritage Armor.

Overwatch
    New Character Ashe introduced
    New Maps are coming in
    Another new character teased

Warcraft III: Reforged
    People hoped for this, but no-one really expected it.
    Total remake of the game, new models, textures, cinematics.
    Will include The Frozen Throne Expansion

The common theme here, which Mark Kern and others ignored, is that all of these games and updates are viewable and largely playable now. Blizzard pretty much only announcements games at Blizzcon when they can actually present aspects of gameplay and a 'final' product to the market.

It's painfully clear that Blizzard was working on more Diablo content, but simply isn't ready to be shown yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sonics2k wrote: »
    The common theme here, which Mark Kern and others ignored, is that all of these games and updates are viewable and largely playable now. Blizzard pretty much only announcements games at Blizzcon when they can actually present aspects of gameplay and a 'final' product to the market.

It's painfully clear that Blizzard was working on more Diablo content, but simply isn't ready to be shown yet.

Other option is that they do as Bethesda did with Elder scrolls 6, announce it stupidly early due to the response to Fallout 76 and spell out that yes they are making another main series game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Varik wrote: »
    Other option is that they do as Bethesda did with Elder scrolls 6, announce it stupidly early due to the response to Fallout 76 and spell out that yes they are making another main series game.

Honestly though I think that just means Bethesda kicked the backlash further down the street rather than avoided it.

Next E3 they will be showing off the app or the new features for the app or something and fans will be mad because there was no update on Elder Scrolls 6.

Basically what happened to Nintendo this year. They announced Fire Emblem and Yoshi way too early and then gave very brief trailers for Bayonetta 3 and Metroid 4 at the game awards(?) and so when E3 2018 came around and all people got was "Smash Bros is coming to Switch in December" the fans went a bit nuts.

Even with things like Pokemon Let's Go and Nintendo Labo, which are clearly aimed at younger kids, you have a lot of people whining that they are "wasting time" on stuff like that.

I do think they handled this Diablo Mobile thing kind of stupidly but if Diablo 4 is a few years away or even planned for next-gen then a teaser to take the sting out now will just come back to bite them down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have quite a bit of respect for Mark Kern, he's done great work over the years and was obviously a massive, massive influence on WoW.

But, the man has no clue what's he's talking about here and is just looking for attention.

Yeah, Blizzard dropped the ball with the Diablo announcement, but let's look at what Blizzard announced which people loved at the exact same event.

World of Warcraft

Overwatch

Warcraft III: Reforged

Id argue he speaks alot of sense, i mean, all blizz announced/revealed this year was games they have already released before..

Warcraft 3 remastered? why not a warcraft 4? :confused:

WoW classic part of the standard wow sub was something alot of people predicted, it wouldnt get the numbers being a separate sub.

Diablo mobile, its a mash of the already existing diablo and Crusaders of light.

So the only fresh new thing really is Ashe... a character added to an already existing game.

All in all, nothing new, just repackaging things most have already played to death already.. Who here bothered with Starcraft remastered?

Dont get me wrong, i love blizz. But they are wading into the same waters as EA/Ubisoft etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just look at the absolute state of the movie & television industry because of that as well as the lewd games from Japan getting ruined.
    Television is a whole lot better than it ever has been, both financially and in terms of quality of output?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

tenor.gif?itemid=11653534

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Is the "new" audience for Diablo really there though?

I would think that if the loss of faith and goodwill from their existing audience outweighs the potential gains from the new audience then it's kind of not worth it long term.

I'd like to see how attempts to reach a new audience or to make things more accessible actually translate into success.

For sure there are billions of untapped dollars in the mobile market and obviously that's the driving factor behind reaching out to a new audience.

I don't think we should pretend that there isn't some kind of relationship between creators and their audience though.

Just the fact that they were able to gather such a huge crowd for the mere announcement of a game says a lot.

So look at it this way. They've gathered around their biggest fans into this hall or theater or whatever. Their existing audience.

Then the message is "guys, great news, we are trying to reach a new audience".

I think it's easy to see why the people gathered would be thinking "WTF?"

Of course it is, I've no doubt there is an audience for a really good game of this type on mobile. And with the lore of Diablo, it will certainly attract players. There is also Diablo fans that will play this, they just aren't writing petitions about it.

You can't really measure loss of faith or goodwill, but I honestly doubt that Diablo fans won't get Diablo 4 because there is a mobile Diablo. I mean that's just silly and childish behaviour. This will mostly be forgotten about by the time Diablo 4 is released and any loss of players from this will likely be more than made up for on mobile.

Well they didn't gather people solely for Diablo, there was other games discussed. The announcement was misjudged, that's the only crime committed here really.

nix wrote: »
    Id argue he speaks alot of sense, i mean, all blizz announced/revealed this year was games they have already released before..

Warcraft 3 remastered? why not a warcraft 4? :confused:

WoW classic part of the standard wow sub was something alot of people predicted, it wouldnt get the numbers being a separate sub.

Diablo mobile, its a mash of the already existing diablo and Crusaders of light.

So the only fresh new thing really is Ashe... a character added to an already existing game.

All in all, nothing new, just repackaging things most have already played to death already.. Who here bothered with Starcraft remastered?

Dont get me wrong, i love blizz. But they are wading into the same waters as EA/Ubisoft etc

Blizzard are notorious for their high standards. They canned a game in development for 5 years cause it wasn't fun. They only announce games when they are ready to be announced, the way it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Benzino wrote: »
    Well they didn't gather people solely for Diablo, there was other games discussed. The announcement was misjudged, that's the only crime committed here really.

I may be wrong here, as I've never attended a Blizzcon, but don't they usually have seperate stages for each of their games? So this would have been the Diablo stage for Diablo news for Diablo fans, and not just Blizzard fans. Blizzcon is notoriously light / empty when it comes to Diablo, going so far as to not have any dedicated Diablo stage / area most years. So, for Diablo to get it's own billing at Blizzcon, fans where rightly expecting something big, only to be handed what they where. It's an eastern targeted game which should never have been given a main stage reveal to a western audience.
    Blizzard are notorious for their high standards. They canned a game in development for 5 years cause it wasn't fun. They only announce games when they are ready to be announced, the way it should be done.

You'd have to wonder what Project Titan was going to be / looked like if Overwatch is using a fair chunk of it's assets. Probably the only developer with the sack to burn something they've been working on for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I read somewhere they announced Diablo 3 around 4 years before it was first released so its not like they stand out in the industry as not announcing things early. Really after EA with the C&C reveal at E3 how can anyone be shocked if fans rejected a mobile "reveal" of a mainly PC series.

• Advertisement

I may be wrong here, as I've never attended a Blizzcon, but don't they usually have seperate stages for each of their games? So this would have been the Diablo stage for Diablo news for Diablo fans, and not just Blizzard fans. Blizzcon is notoriously light / empty when it comes to Diablo, going so far as to not have any dedicated Diablo stage / area most years. So, for Diablo to get it's own billing at Blizzcon, fans where rightly expecting something big, only to be handed what they where. It's an eastern targeted game which should never have been given a main stage reveal to a western audience.

I don’t know to be honest, seems like an awful waste to have different stages :D but you are probably right. I get that people were disappointed and upset in the moment of the announcement, but still the reaction is way over the top. Petitions to have the game canned? People saying they will never buy another Blizzard game? I even think that somebody here said they want the industry to crash!

Some times I think this entertainment sector has matured, both the gamers and creators, but reactions like this show we are a long way off from that (and the creators have their moments too of course) and I can kind of understand why some people still view games as something for kids.
    You'd have to wonder what Project Titan was going to be / looked like if Overwatch is using a fair chunk of it's assets. Probably the only developer with the sack to burn something they've been working on for so long.

Yeah, it would be cool to see some tech videos of it some day. I gained a lot of respect for Blizzard when they canned it, most devs would just release it and try and get whatever money they can get. Not Blizzard, they have pride in their work and want to release fun games. Of course, like you said, they have the cash to afford to do this unlike most companies. I’d imagine Rockstar could probably do the same as well (The Agent comes to mind, but not sure how long that was in development).

ERG89 wrote: »
    I read somewhere they announced Diablo 3 around 4 years before it was first released so its not like they stand out in the industry as not announcing things early. Really after EA with the C&C reveal at E3 how can anyone be shocked if fans rejected a mobile "reveal" of a mainly PC series.

Diablo 3 was in development for about 7 years before they announced it.

Everybody complains about EA announcements ha.

I don’t know to be honest, seems like an awful waste to have different stages :D but you are probably right. I get that people were disappointed and upset in the moment of the announcement, but still the reaction is way over the top. Petitions to have the game canned? People saying they will never buy another Blizzard game? I even think that somebody here said they want the industry to crash!

Some times I think this entertainment sector has matured, both the gamers and creators, but reactions like this show we are a long way off from that (and the creators have their moments too of course) and I can kind of understand why some people still view games as something for kids.

Yeah, the petitions to have it canned, #Blizzardisdead and all that is a bit pathetic. They completely misjudged the announcement yes. Surely someone somewhere went "Eh, are we really sure we want to announce this?". There is a market for this type of mobile game, it's just not in the western hemisphere.

Yeah thats my point, they used to have high standards :P

And they didnt really can it, it just transformed into overwatch :pac:

Yeah thats my point, they used to have high standards :P

And they didnt really can it, it just transformed into overwatch :pac:

Where have their standards dropped?

They did can it, but took some characters/abilities and used them in Overwatch.

Where have their standards dropped?

They did can it, but took some characters/abilities and used them in Overwatch.

Yeah my point is they used a lot from Titan (maps/characters) in Overwatch :rolleyes:

Where have their standards dropped? remakes instead of new content.. and the recent blizzcon and their attitude??? :pac:

Keep up!

Yeah my point is they used a lot from Titan (maps/characters) in Overwatch :rolleyes:

Where have their standards dropped? remakes instead of new content.. and the recent blizzcon and their attitude??? :pac:

Keep up!

Remakes of certain titles that the community has been asking / hoping for (WoW classic / Warcraft 3, one of THE best RTS games ever made).
    Have their standards dropped in relation to WoW. Consistently pumping out new expansions every couple of years, updating and retuning character models, skill trees, economy.

New characters and maps / modes in Overwatch.

Remakes of certain titles that the community has been asking / hoping for (WoW classic / Warcraft 3, one of THE best RTS games ever made).

Can guarantee a lot more are asking for new games/content :P
    Have their standards dropped in relation to WoW. Consistently pumping out new expansions every couple of years, updating and retuning character models, skill trees, economy.

Yes, the latest expansion is the first attempt in ages of pulling their socks up.
    New characters and maps / modes in Overwatch.

Overwatch is the only game they are keeping a high standard in, however some of the things they are implementing soon, should have been done a long time ago.

They still canned Titan, it's no longer been made :confused:
    Where have their standards dropped? remakes instead of new content..

So doing remakes of beloved classic games means their standards have dropped?
    and the recent blizzcon and their attitude??? :pac:

Oh, you mean their standards at press conferences have dropped? Fair enough.
    Keep up!

It's hard when you talk nonsense to be honest. Saying a game that wasn't canned despite the fact Blizzard confirmed it was. But maybe you have an inside scoop and know better than Blizzard :rolleyes:

They still canned Titan, it's no longer been made :confused:

So doing remakes of beloved classic games means their standards have dropped?

Oh, you mean their standards at press conferences have dropped? Fair enough.

It's hard when you talk nonsense to be honest. Saying a game that wasn't canned despite the fact Blizzard confirmed it was. But maybe you have an inside scoop and know better than Blizzard :rolleyes:

Doing remakes is a drop of standards, doesnt matter what game it is, if it was the only one they had done, id be "ok fair enough", but its the third one, i bet Diablo 2 remastered is next :)

You're focusing on a comment i have already elaborated on, Yes Titan was officially scrapped. My point was they didnt can it all completely because they still used ALOT from titan in overwatch. The same developers that worked on Titan made Overwatch. Titan was officially canceled in 2014, 2 years later Overwatch was released, they sure made that quickly didn't they??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

You're focusing on a comment i have already elaborated on, Yes Titan was officially scrapped. My point was they didnt can it all completely because they still used ALOT from titan in overwatch. The same developers that worked on Titan made Overwatch. Titan was officially canceled in 2014, 2 years later Overwatch was released, they sure made that quickly didn't they??? :confused:
    They didn't use a lot of Titan in Overwatch though. They re-used some of the pre-production work to define an initial art style and start prototyping heroes and maps. Tracer, who was originally a skin for one of the classes in Titan, was carried over along with an outline for some of her abilities and the Temple of Anubis setting and some artwork were also confirmed as being kept. Once the project was greenlit, however, the art style evolved into it's own thing and that was still after they had to do a substantial tech rewrite to begin to make the project into the game we know as Overwatch today.

In terms of the dev team, a small portion of the Titan team was kept on after it was cancelled to work on a couple of concepts and Overwatch was the one they went with. Again, after the project was greenlit they began to ramp up again with both internal staff from other Blizzard teams and externally since the company itself didn't have much of the way of FPS expertise at the time.

Timeline wise, Titan was officially cancelled in 2014 yes but it had been internally cancelled in May the previous year. Overwatch was released three years later.

The majority of the above info was discussed in the development video I linked to you previously in the thread and some more specifics about what exactly was brought over from Titan into Overwatch have been discussed in articles and shown in art dumps since.

Blizzard's Jeff Kaplan traces line from Project Titan to Overwatch

Example of some concept art from Titan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

gizmo wrote: »
    They didn't use a lot of Titan in Overwatch though. They re-used some of the pre-production work to define an initial art style and start prototyping heroes and maps. Tracer, who was originally a skin for one of the classes in Titan, was carried over along with an outline for some of her abilities and the Temple of Anubis setting and some artwork were also confirmed as being kept. Once the project was greenlit, however, the art style evolved into it's own thing and that was still after they had to do a substantial tech rewrite to begin to make the project into the game we know as Overwatch today.

In terms of the dev team, a small portion of the Titan team was kept on after it was cancelled to work on a couple of concepts and Overwatch was the one they went with. Again, after the project was greenlit they began to ramp up again with both internal staff from other Blizzard teams and externally since the company itself didn't have much of the way of FPS expertise at the time.

Timeline wise, Titan was officially cancelled in 2014 yes but it had been internally cancelled in May the previous year. Overwatch was released three years later.

The majority of the above info was discussed in the development video I linked to you previously in the thread and some more specifics about what exactly was brought over from Titan into Overwatch have been discussed in articles and shown in art dumps since.

Blizzard's Jeff Kaplan traces line from Project Titan to Overwatch

Example of some concept art from Titan

It was more than just tracer that made the cut, its actually all in the links you provided above :pac:

From what i gathered, they took alot of the class abilities from Titan and brought them to Overwatch, id say the main focus left over from Titan would have been the art design and gameplay mechanics. Gameplay wise they just copied TF2, and from, the art styles above, some of them made it also..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It was more than just tracer that made the cut, its actually all in the links you provided above :pac:

From what i gathered, they took alot of the class abilities from Titan and brought them to Overwatch, id say the main focus left over from Titan would have been the art design and gameplay mechanics. Gameplay wise they just copied TF2, and from, the art styles above, some of them made it also..
    Aye, Kaplan talks about how some characters evolved conceptually from Titan to Overwatch. The gameplay mechanics for these other characters were designed during production of the MMO though and hadn't been implemented in what would become Overwatch. He describes these first steps for Tracer in the Eurogamer link provided when he talks about her not having any animations or gun models. Similarly for Temple of Anubis, they had the setting and style from Titan but as seen in the gameplay footage from the video, the level itself still needed to be built from scratch.

That's the crux of the issue here, they were able to hit the ground running in terms of actual development because of the pre-production time saved by using some of the work from Titan. Implementation was a different thing entirely.

Kaplan addresses this very topic at around 25:20 in the video where he discusses people's misconceptions of how the transition between projects occurred, most notably the substantial tech rewrite involved and the creation of 100% new art assets for the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Path of Exile is hitting PS4 December 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

^^Im actually delighted by that news,never got into it on PC as my mates are all on PS4.

Gonna get stuck in when it releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Hajime Tabata who was the current director on Final Fantasy 15 has left Square Enix to form his own company , but his departure means the upcoming Dlc for FF15 is no longer in the works and any Patches and any future content support for the game is now canned .

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-dlc-canceled-director-hajime-taba/1100-6463112/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hajime Tabata who was the current director on Final Fantasy 15 has left Square Enix to form his own company , but his departure means the upcoming Dlc for FF15 is no longer in the works and any Patches and any future content support for the game is now canned .

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-dlc-canceled-director-hajime-taba/1100-6463112/

No interest in Final Fantasy, but it seems absolutely mental to just can all the DLC for what seems to be a game that people were interested in the DLC. Square Enix has been doing weird moves for the longest time now, it's almost like it's not run as a business at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CatInABox wrote: »
    No interest in Final Fantasy, but it seems absolutely mental to just can all the DLC for what seems to be a game that people were interested in the DLC. Square Enix has been doing weird moves for the longest time now, it's almost like it's not run as a business at all.

They're away in their own world, wasn't it them who also thought that the hitman and tomb raider reboots were failures as they didnt sell 30 million copies each?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They're away in their own world, wasn't it them who also thought that the hitman and tomb raider reboots were failures as they didnt sell 30 million copies each?

Yeah, they put Tomb Raider out amongst a bunch of much bigger, more hyped games, and then were disappointed that it didn't meet sales expectations. I think that's when every started to realise that the senior management was away with the fairies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement