Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EoinHef wrote: »
    ^^Im actually delighted by that news,never got into it on PC as my mates are all on PS4.

Gonna get stuck in when it releases.

I had a bit of addiction for poe about a month or two ago. Sank 36h on xbox in very short time.
    Its really good and has so much flexibility to make your own character. Very overwhelming and takes ages of research to learn what items are good and what stats you need to look for etc. Just because its legendary, it does not make better at all.
    The only issue I have with game - monetization. Its just bonkers expensive. Yes, its fantastic free to play game, which offers everything without pay walls, but if you want to play it seriously, you will need to invest in a lot of stash tabs. Another problem is that no matter how high level you will be, you still going to look like homeless person. And we all know that part of the fun is to make your character look cooler and stronger. In poe if you want to look cooler, you buy skins. I dont mind buying them, but prices for them are just plain mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

I had a bit of addiction for poe about a month or two ago. Sank 36h on xbox in very short time.
    Its really good and has so much flexibility to make your own character. Very overwhelming and takes ages of research to learn what items are good and what stats you need to look for etc. Just because its legendary, it does not make better at all.
    The only issue I have with game - monetization. Its just bonkers expensive. Yes, its fantastic free to play game, which offers everything without pay walls, but if you want to play it seriously, you will need to invest in a lot of stash tabs. Another problem is that no matter how high level you will be, you still going to look like homeless person. And we all know that part of the fun is to make your character look cooler and stronger. In poe if you want to look cooler, you buy skins. I dont mind buying them, but prices for them are just plain mad.

There was a sale there on the pc version a few weeks ago got stash tabs for little or nothing think I spent $10. Early on you don't need that many stash tabs but its a grind to get to late game stuff like maps. The story missions are pretty good. I wouldn't be pushed to look cool myself and you can pretty much play the game in the early stages without spending money. Delving is a massive grind the upgrades to go deeper are very expensive imo, but at least that isn't monetized.

At least the skins and stuff do not give you an in game advantage, they're just cosmetic. In the little time people get to see them in the market/lobby area they are not worth it in the long run, for me anyway. I may go back to the grind of delving. The stash tabs are necessary late game as you get more valuable loot plus the money goes towards development. Its a choice to get that far in the game and pretty much says if you like the game at this point starting paying for the long ass demo! The trade system is really complicated alright. All in all you would probably spend $40 on the stash tabs which is worth it for a game that keeps you busy for all those hours. Micro transactions done correctly in my opinion.

There was a sale there on the pc version a few weeks ago got stash tabs for little or nothing think I spent $10. Early on you don't need that many stash tabs but its a grind to get to late game stuff like maps. The story missions are pretty good. I wouldn't be pushed to look cool myself and you can pretty much play the game in the early stages without spending money. Delving is a massive grind the upgrades to go deeper are very expensive imo, but at least that isn't monetized.

At least the skins and stuff do not give you an in game advantage, they're just cosmetic. In the little time people get to see them in the market/lobby area they are not worth it in the long run, for me anyway. I may go back to the grind of delving. The stash tabs are necessary late game as you get more valuable loot plus the money goes towards development. Its a choice to get that far in the game and pretty much says if you like the game at this point starting paying for the long ass demo! The trade system is really complicated alright. All in all you would probably spend $40 on the stash tabs which is worth it for a game that keeps you busy for all those hours. Micro transactions done correctly in my opinion.

Don't understand me wrong, its a great game and it actually has old school economy going like back in Diablo 2. Anyone remember Soyas?
    I am a bit of an eye candy whore. In games like this I love seeing my character going from peasant to badass destroyer of worlds. The only way to do it is to buy skins. I dont mind that, I always support developers, but the prices for skins are just mad.
    Its just my personal opinion, but I would spend a good bit of money over time by buying a skin now and then for a tenner, but if I will need to spend about 50eu for one set to make me look somewhat decent, then I am not up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm also guilty of being an "eye candy whore" in games with customisation.

Fashion > Stats.

Don't understand me wrong, its a great game and it actually has old school economy going like back in Diablo 2. Anyone remember Soyas?
    I am a bit of an eye candy whore. In games like this I love seeing my character going from peasant to badass destroyer of worlds. The only way to do it is to buy skins. I dont mind that, I always support developers, but the prices for skins are just mad.
    Its just my personal opinion, but I would spend a good bit of money over time by buying a skin now and then for a tenner, but if I will need to spend about 50eu for one set to make me look somewhat decent.

But they don't effect how you play what so ever, You can still play the same way without them!

• Advertisement

It's nice to look good though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As I said in the Warframe thread, Fashion Frame *IS* the end game :D

It's a clever monetisation strategy cause who doesn't wanna look cool whilst marauding their way through a gajillion creeps to get to a big bad? :) I might take a look at it, I've seen a few streamers getting *heavily* involved with it and learning their builds etc. As long as there's some manner of WIKI I can read to learn what's hot or not, I'm in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Out of curiosity, how much have people here spent on making their character look cool in these games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I wish they announced a linux release of it instead.

In news,
    Google suspended a youtube channel for inciting violence with RDR2. Channel was brought back from backlash. https://youtu.be/GiZXsgdXGmA

Mario died earlier in the week https://www.foxnews.com/tech/man-who-inspired-super-mario-dead-at-84

That steam game that got banned for lolicon material got banned again... for the same reason. Steam is flip flopping on if it wants adult/hentai games or not (although many are now uncensored or allow uncensor patches listed on-site.) That said, this game has no adult content. https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/11/steam-removes-the-key-to-home-for-sexually-suggestive-content-involving-minors-again/71595/

Nintendo removing content for racial sensitivities http://operationrainfall.com/2018/11/07/nintendo-removing-offensive-mr-game-watch-animation-in-smash-ultimate/

China forcfully limits your game time https://techraptor.net/content/tencent-to-check-player-ids-in-china-and-limit-game-time
    Out of curiosity, how much have people here spent on making their character look cool in these games?

In Warframe? Probably hours since I've got easily over 500+hrs gametime overall. I'm not crazy into the fashion but you eventually get around to it a lot if you're playing the game a lot anyway.

But they don't effect how you play what so ever, You can still play the same way without them!

You completely missing the point on what I am saying.

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    As I said in the Warframe thread, Fashion Frame *IS* the end game :D

It's a clever monetisation strategy cause who doesn't wanna look cool whilst marauding their way through a gajillion creeps to get to a big bad? :) I might take a look at it, I've seen a few streamers getting *heavily* involved with it and learning their builds etc. As long as there's some manner of WIKI I can read to learn what's hot or not, I'm in :)

Me... I don't. I can see its just aesthetically pleasing and has absolutely no impact on play style or gives you any advantage dealing damage.
    You completely missing the point on what I am saying.

I think you're missing mine!

Me... I don't. I can see its just aesthetically pleasing and has absolutely no impact on play style or gives you any advantage dealing damage.

I think you're missing mine!

I already said, its a good game and gives you everything you need at the start, without putting pay walls. You missed that part completely. So I dont even understand the reason of your comment, at all.
    My point was that I don't agree with how much they charge for skins. In my opinion, if they would lower the prices, they would sell in bigger volume. I would actually buy some skins now and then, but paying 30eu for a bundle with just weapon and wing skin, with few coins of currency that wont even buy you a full set of armour on sale.

Just in case someone still going to have their knickers in a twist: its a very good game, fair free to play game too. I like it a lot. Just business model could be better.

As for would I care about how my character looks? In these kind of rpgs - very. I never spend any amount of time on creating my characters in games. Just use presets I like and done with it. But how gear looks on me during the game is important for me. For love of god, we have games like wow and Diablo where you can transmog your gear look the way you want it.
    For me in these rpgs I love to see my character going from peasant to a badass. The more you play the cooler your gear looks. Back in Diablo 2, I would trade and farm for Natalie set, just because it had unique shadow effect on your character. Set and build was crap, but it was something cool and rare.
    In Poe I went from start to end game with Witch summoner. I look pretty much same as I started on that beach. A bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I get ye shadow.

Was the same for me in warframe,end up buying colour pallets etc because you like how it looks.

If your staring at a game for a few 100 hours no harm in liking the character your looking at.

Ive seen games where the cosmetics are cost prohibitive too. Elite Dangerous is one ive played a lot.

Ive bought a few skins in game but always felt like i was over paying so ended up only buying two. If i felt i was getting more value for money i probably would have been willing to spend more.

Diminishing returns and all that

Its just my personal opinion, but I would spend a good bit of money over time by buying a skin now and then for a tenner, but if I will need to spend about 50eu for one set to make me look somewhat decent, then I am not up for it.

You don't need to buy skins at all is my point. The reason the prices are so high is because you and other players keep buying them at the high price!

I think your missing the point waffles,the only way to change your appearence from beach bum to world destroyer is skins.

That has nothing to do with with needing them for gameplay,talking about aesthetics only.

Was exactly the same in warframe,there was no necessity to buy cosmetics for the gameplay,but it was rare enough you could get cosmetics from gameplay so the option was to buy them.

Curious,do you try to play free to play games without ever paying any money?

Conversely to your comment why skins are so high i could also say its players who try play these games without ever paying a penny means everyone else who is willing to pay has to pay more to make up for them. Which,IMO,is as equally valid as your reasoning.

If you look back and actually read what I posted you would find out your curiosities I suggest instead of butting in you do that first. The skins are high because its basic supply and demand. Giving out about the price of something while at the same time buying that something is kind of laying the blame on someone else I guess. If you don't like the price don't pay, it's pretty simple! Its a cheap trick of monetization, and consumerism in general, companies use to make their customers think an item is rare therefore worth the price.

If I or you need to look good playing a game then it doesn't say a lot about how you really feel about the game in the first place, but its an emotional response programmed into a consumer to make them believe its a good choice to pay absurd prices for items that have no impact on winning, false positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I dont play F2P games generally so this type of thing doesnt affect me.

I do buy skins in ED for 2 reasons, it supports the developers and I get cool looking ****ing space ships. I mean you cant have a Corvette and not have a red skin on it :confused:

Or call your Cutter Fake Taxi and make it Yellow.

If you look back and actually read what I posted you would find out your curiosities I suggest instead of butting in you do that first. The skins are high because its basic supply and demand. Giving out about the price of something while at the same time buying that something is kind of laying the blame on someone else I guess. If you don't like the price don't pay, it's pretty simple! Its a cheap trick of monetization, and consumerism in general, companies use to make their customers think an item is rare therefore worth the price.

If I or you need to look good playing a game then it doesn't say a lot about how you really feel about the game in the first place, but its an emotional response programmed into a consumer to make them believe its a good choice to pay absurd prices for items that have no impact on winning, false positive!

Bit sensitive are we? If you want a private conversation take it to PM. Public forum means we all get to offer our opinion.

Also of you took your own advice you would see the first post you responed too was a response to guess who.....me:P

You stated you bought stuff when it was a cheap as it could be,i asked do you try to play these games with spending no money at all. So your earlier post answers nothing. Do you want to play these games and never pay a penny?

Regarding price of cosmetics,i brought that up to agree with shadow in the sense that if they offered them cheper they may sell more and actually make more money. I blame no one for the money i spent. The example i choose was elite for the very reason your stating,the prices are too high so i bought one for a ship i really like but wont buy more because their cost prohibitive. I was willing to pay for that skin as ive probably played a 1000hrs of that game and it cost me about €40 for the game and DLC. I viewed that as a bit of money going back to the dev for that time so was ok with it.
    But would not buy anymore as there too expensive for what they give imo.

Also im pretty sure most of us know how monetisation works but thanks for the lecture anyway.

Wanting your character to look better in no way reflects on any other aspect of the game for me. And in fact its totally the opposite,would i be spending money on skins for a game i dont like?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I dont play F2P games generally so this type of thing doesnt affect me.

I do buy skins in ED for 2 reasons, it supports the developers and I get cool looking ****ing space ships. I mean you cant have a Corvette and not have a red skin on it :confused:

Or call your Cutter Fake Taxi and make it Yellow.

Icarus Blue corvette for me:P

Bit sensitive are we? If you want a private conversation take it to PM. Public forum means we all get to offer our opinion.

Also of you took your own advice you would see the first post you responed too was a response to guess who.....me:P

You stated you bought stuff when it was a cheap as it could be,i asked do you try to play these games with spending no money at all. So your earlier post answers nothing. Do you want to play these games and never pay a penny?

Regarding price of cosmetics,i brought that up to agree with shadow in the sense that if they offered them cheper they may sell more and actually make more money. I blame no one for the money i spent. The example i choose was elite for the very reason your stating,the prices are too high so i bought one for a ship i really like but wont buy more because their cost prohibitive. I was willing to pay for that skin as ive probably played a 1000hrs of that game and it cost me about €40 for the game and DLC. I viewed that as a bit of money going back to the dev for that time so was ok with it.
    But would not buy anymore as there too expensive for what they give imo.

Also im pretty sure most of us know how monetisation works but thanks for the lecture anyway.

Wanting your character to look better in no way reflects on any other aspect of the game for me. And in fact its totally the opposite,would i be spending money on skins for a game i dont like?

First off Eoin butting in was referring to who is missing the point and shadow can speak for himself, I'd hope, in that regard. Secondly taking something to PM would be the complete opposite of the point of discussing it publicly, bit of a contradiction. I can self moderate, thanks for your concern though! Regarding who is being sensitive I don't think its necessary really, as speaking for shadow kind of shows that you're being sensitive towards him maybe you can stroke each other privately instead of doing so publicly, or maybe you do, not for me to judge...

There is no issue here so lets just leave it at that!

• Advertisement

First off Eoin butting in was referring to who is missing the point and shadow can speak for himself, I'd hope, in that regard. Secondly taking something to PM would be the complete opposite of the point of discussing it publicly, bit of a contradiction. I can self moderate, thanks for your concern though! Regarding who is being sensitive I don't think its necessary really, as speaking for shadow kind of shows that you're being sensitive towards him maybe you can stroke each other privately instead of doing so publicly, or maybe you do, not for me to judge...

There is no issue here so lets just leave it at that!

Still havent answered the question:P

I bear you no ill will,im not speaking for shadow,i offered my opinion which happened to agree with his. Thats all.

If you cant discuss that like a grown up or understand the points being raised i can agree with one thing,were best of leaving it there before you get even more offended.

Still havent answered the question:P

I bear you no ill will,im not speaking for shadow,i offered my opinion which happened to agree with his. Thats all.

If you cant discuss that like a grown up or understand the points being raised i can agree with one thing,were best of leaving it there before you get even more offended.

Dude, just walk away, I did it myself. No point poking at that wasp nest, there will be no honey.
    Lets go "stroke each other privately" or something? Never did it, but apparently its supposed to be fun.

Dude, just walk away, I did it myself. No point poking at that wasp nest, there will be no honey.
    Lets go "stroke each other privately" or something? Never did it, but apparently its supposed to be fun.

Ha ha,ye seen as were some sort of item why not:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

How would a lesser (ill) educated fella like myself see it as a cause for frustration?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

How would a lesser (ill) educated fella like myself see it as a cause for frustration?
    You'd need to drop the lesser educated part but if you want to see someone voice their frustration, check out the interaction between Cifaldi and the creators of RetroArch further down in the replies. It's a bit...intense. :o

MS just announced Obsidian acquisition @ XO18. Many saw this coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

MS just announced Obsidian acquisition @ XO18. Many saw this coming.

Might see KOTOR 2 on the BC list shortly so

Oh heres hoping!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

RIP Obsidian :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement