Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Might see KOTOR 2 on the BC list shortly so

Was there something said, not sure how that would hold true.

Don't see how Obsidian would have held any rights that would have prevented it.

They also acquired in exile entertainment so RIP Wasteland aswell?

They seem to be .... on the face of it letting these studios keep doing what they are doing though. Time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Studios

Only Aces and Ensemble were ones I liked, shame. MSft dont have a good track record with buying studios and making them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Varik wrote: »
    Was there something said, not sure how that would hold true.

Don't see how Obsidian would have held any rights that would have prevented it.

Not necessarily about rights as such, but given that Obsidian will be under the MS umbrella i'm just speculating that perhaps it might appear if they decide to revive some of the ip's.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    Not necessarily about rights as such, but given that Obsidian will be under the MS umbrella i'm just speculating that perhaps it might appear if they decide to revive some of the ip's.

That's what I mean, KOTOR 2 is not their IP.

Disney/Lucas and EA, would be the only ones to have any say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

That's what I mean, KOTOR 2 is not their IP.

Disney/Lucas and EA, would be the only ones to have any say.

:o

I feel like you're splitting hairs, but fair enough. Not their IP, but they did develop it. At the end if the day, i'm just saying a thought aloud, which i mistook for one others might be somewhat happy about. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I thought for a minute they announced a KOTOR 2 remake; pretty sure I read that the Xbox version was a bit of a mess on release which has been fixed in recent years by the community for PC players.
    Kinda baffled Microsoft held an event with so little big announcements just DLC, game pass & studio acquisitions. Can't say I've ever been pumped for a studio acquisition as your default setting is immediately caution.
    I'm glad Sony didn't bother with PSX this year as they had nothing new either; they probably don't want to show Days Gone for the 20th time, Last of Us 2, Death Stranding & Ghost of Tsushima are all announced. I'd love God of War DLC but I imagine like Guerrilla the studio has been told to go straight to next gen which may or may not be announced this time next year.
    Still an enhanced Civ Rev is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

At this point MS can't do anything right for some people.

For me personally, it was a lot of good news.

Lots of content for State of Decoy 2. Great!!!
    Forza Horizon expansion and its coming soon.
    Two new good studios joining MS. People always bitch about MS not having exclusives and good studios and this year they went full netflix on our asses.
    Speaking of Netflix, game pass gets more games and all those new exclusive games coming out to game pass day one. There is a promo now to buy 6 months for 30eu, so topped up last night. Sorted for almost a year now.
    Crackdown 3 release date announced. And again, its very soon and on game pass day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,783 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At this point MS can't do anything right for some people.

For me personally, it was a lot of good news.

Lots of content for State of Decoy 2. Great!!!
    Forza Horizon expansion and its coming soon.
    Two new good studios joining MS. People always bitch about MS not having exclusives and good studios and this year they went full netflix on our asses.
    Speaking of Netflix, game pass gets more games and all those new exclusive games coming out to game pass day one. There is a promo now to buy 6 months for 30eu, so topped up last night. Sorted for almost a year now.
    Crackdown 3 release date announced. And again, its very soon and on game pass day one.

Yeah MS are definitely making huge strides in the right direction, and there's a lot to praise them for. A lot of the studios they've bought though, it'll be a while, likely next gen, before we see anything substantial from them.

My only concern with Crackdowns release date is it's right in the maelstrom that is February 2019. There are a lot of huge games being released in that period and Crackdown is a franchise that has been dormant for ages, and hasn't been setting the world on fire with news of its return given the numerous delays for it. Sadly, I don't see it doing well, even on Gamepass.

MS are crushing it with Gamepass though. Really throwing a lot of their weight behind it and setting the standard for where the industry should be going.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Phil Spencer admits that there's a ton of work to do on the Windows 10 store. I knew that they'd giving him control of it in the background, so it's great to hear them say it officially. Hopefully he walks back a load of the mistakes they've made there.

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

CatInABox wrote: »
    Phil Spencer admits that there's a ton of work to do on the Windows 10 store. I knew that they'd giving him control of it in the background, so it's great to hear them say it officially. Hopefully he walks back a load of the mistakes they've made there.

See here.

Too little too late for me at least. I never changed from 7 to 10 for various reasons and overall I think I'm done with Windows and any future Microsoft products. Their direction is continuously towards cloud, strict DRM and less user control. I think, as the juggernaut they are, they've had plenty of time, money and talent to get their act together with PC gaming and in the last decade all we got was GFWL and Windows Store along with their death-grip on DirectX hurting the overall PC gaming eco. There's no way I'm investing more into whatever nightmarish walled garden future they'll inevitably arrive at.

No more Sony rewards.
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/11/sony-discontinues-trophy-pass-for-playstation-rewards/71838/
    I can't understand how they can't pull off some kind of cashback-for-engagement system. Valve manages to do it.

And more Sony news, they managed to make an 18+ cat-girl erotic visual novel (Nekopara) have an E rating.
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/11/09/nekopara-vol-1-censored-on-ps4-to-lower-esrb-rating/
    I'm sure all your kids will love it.

Activision Blizzard stock have dropped way more than I expected.
    https://youtu.be/GL2OCMdd9pc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

CatInABox wrote: »

See here.

I'm a big fan of Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah MS are definitely making huge strides in the right direction, and there's a lot to praise them for. A lot of the studios they've bought though, it'll be a while, likely next gen, before we see anything substantial from them.

My only concern with Crackdowns release date is it's right in the maelstrom that is February 2019. There are a lot of huge games being released in that period and Crackdown is a franchise that has been dormant for ages, and hasn't been setting the world on fire with news of its return given the numerous delays for it. Sadly, I don't see it doing well, even on Gamepass.

MS are crushing it with Gamepass though. Really throwing a lot of their weight behind it and setting the standard for where the industry should be going.

Are MS underdogs? Yes.
    Do I love that? Hell yeah!

They know they lost the crown they earned with 360 back in the day and they are working very hard to get back up. The winners in this are all gamers.
    Now they are giving away first Crackdown game for free and I fired it up tonight. Did not played it much back in the day, but I remember having fun. And after playing it for few hours I actually had a lot of fun again. It really does not hold your hand. Just says: find these criminals, kill them to get to leader. The more generals you take out, the easier murdering of gang boss will be. Now go!!! Thing is, it is fun way of playing a game. Seeing your character get stronger, jump higher, get better at aiming makes a real good feel of progression. If they can make this in modern console and update few things, them I am so down for it.
    Microsoft is very very clever with game pass. By giving games day one on game pass, they really dont need to worry when to release games. Why? Well, even if they launch in time frame where it is packed with new releases, chances are that you already have game pass. If not, you can get trial or buy one month sub to try out game. So MS is not competing for that 60eu when there are a lot of games coming out when gamers have limited money. So many decent games were killed by just releasing next to big title and did not even got a chance. Mad max comes up as good example. If a game is on game pass a lot of people will still try it as it wont cost them 60 quid. If they sub for that one month just to try that new game and won't like it, MS still has a month to hook up customer in this service with other games.
    Yes, Microsoft is not selling you a game for 60eu anymore, but it will get money from dlcs. I got game pass when Forza horizon 4 came out and I bought vip pass with it. When State of Decoy dlc comes out, it will be a must buy for me again.
    For me personally game pass is the most exciting positive direction for gaming in years. I tried out games that I would never buy and became a big fan now, trying out games outside my comfort zone and discovering that I like them. Saving money, by finding out that the games I wanted to buy are garbage. And of course, first party titles go on it day one.
    30eu for half a year ( currently on deal, which stacks ) is fantastic value if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

DrscP8jWoAA_VM3.jpg:large

Not sure if this Image is funny or sad but with so many big publishers making head scratching decisions over the last few years this generation , I fear for the AAA Market next gen. :(

Now they are giving away first Crackdown game for free and I fired it up tonight. Did not played it much back in the day, but I remember having fun. And after playing it for few hours I actually had a lot of fun again. It really does not hold your hand. Just says: find these criminals, kill them to get to leader. The more generals you take out, the easier murdering of gang boss will be. Now go!!! Thing is, it is fun way of playing a game. Seeing your character get stronger, jump higher, get better at aiming makes a real good feel of progression. If they can make this in modern console and update few things, them I am so down for it.

Completely agree with your post for the most part, but while I absolutely loved Crackdown 1 (it and Gears of War made me so glad I bought a 360), Crackdown 2 was a huge letdown. It just felt so bland and so much of a rehash. But now the problem that Crackdown 3 faces, is that it could have been the perfect return to form... five years ago. From what I've seen of it (and I was really hoping it could become a game to enticed me to buy the One X), it just looks so outdated in terms of gameplay. It honestly feels to me like a more bland version of Saints Row IV.

I just think that, whether free on Gamepass or not, it could have garnered a pretty good audience outside of the February 2019 release window. But I think it's going to get hammered in there and never find its feet, particularly with Anthem a week later.

I just worry for it, but I hope I'm proven wrong. If it does end up being a great game and with Gears 5 on the way, I could very well see myself picking up the One X next summer.

Want to explain the Bethesda one.

Completely agree with your post for the most part, but while I absolutely loved Crackdown 1 (it and Gears of War made me so glad I bought a 360), Crackdown 2 was a huge letdown. It just felt so bland and so much of a rehash. But now the problem that Crackdown 3 faces, is that it could have been the perfect return to form... five years ago. From what I've seen of it (and I was really hoping it could become a game to enticed me to buy the One X), it just looks so outdated in terms of gameplay. It honestly feels to me like a more bland version of Saints Row IV.

I just think that, whether free on Gamepass or not, it could have garnered a pretty good audience outside of the February 2019 release window. But I think it's going to get hammered in there and never find its feet, particularly with Anthem a week later.

I just worry for it, but I hope I'm proven wrong. If it does end up being a great game and with Gears 5 on the way, I could very well see myself picking up the One X next summer.
    Game Pass does not compete with one off sales. It's all about subscription numbers and no doubt about it "original content" will boost it's numbers regardless of what time of year it is released or what other games are released at the same time. Also AAA quality is not so important, although it does help as we have seen with Forza Horizon 4 and will see again with PUBG (maybe not AAA but a very popular game non the less), Gears 5 and Halo Infinite.

You'll also notice a trend with the 1st party games that come to game pass all having a new "games as a service" model, meaning they continue to add content to the games and evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Ryan Reynolds is Pikachu XD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That looks kinda hilarious. :o

What with pokemon fans growing up with the originals/TV and being in their 30s and the popularity of GO, hopefully I can go see this without it being weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id imagine its Fallout 76. Many bugs.

EoinHef wrote: »

Id imagine its Fallout 76. Many bugs.

If they released a lacking game and it required the community/modders to sort it I'd get it, but a buggy beta is normal its just a lot of betas are really just demos now.

Considering 76 has a day one patch larger than the current game this definitely isn't the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What with pokemon fans growing up with the originals/TV and being in their 30s and the popularity of GO, hopefully I can go see this without it being weird.

It's mad but among my nephew and all his friends, Pokemon cards are the biggest craze right now. I don't think they even know how to play yet but they're crazy for collecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If they released a lacking game and it required the community/modders to sort it I'd get it, but a buggy beta is normal its just a lot of betas are really just demos now.

Considering 76 has a day one patch larger than the current game this definitely isn't the case here.

All i see from bethesda is messages of bear with us. They came out and said the game is going to be buggy.

Also it was also a joke:P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Whats big in Feb 2019? Was just thinking today how I dont have much to look forward to except Cyberpunk...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So they didn't go with Danny DeVito? Cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats big in Feb 2019? Was just thinking today how I dont have much to look forward to except Cyberpunk...

Anthem is out the end of February, Division 2 is a few weeks after

Anthem is out the end of February, Division 2 is a few weeks after

Yeah Anthem is the big one I was thinking of. I mean it's EA so it could go either way, and people might be hesitant to get it at launch because of that, but still it's a big new AAA IP and could take a lot of the hype and buzz around that time away from Crackdown, which has been a dormant franchise for many years with a troublesome release so far and even then isn't particularly being anticipated for its return. It would have been a perfect XB1X launch title if they could have had it ready for that as originally planned, and I think would have done better if delayed until April next year.

I guess it is true though that Gamepass changes how we view the metrics on whether a game like Crackdown 3 is a success at launch or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A lot of games were announced for the one date in February at E3 weren't they? Feels like a Mandela effect now cause they are more spread out.
    Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, Devil May Cry 5, Anthem, Days Gone(which I knew was delayed), Metro Exodus & the Division 2.

Detective Pikachu looks 10x better than it has any right to be but I'll be a bit cautious until reviews land. Movie trailers are worse than game ones to make a turd look polished, I remember Jurassic World 2 made it look like Goldblum was a key part & the Batman vs Superman look like the Dark Knight returns. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Jesus that looks really bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement