Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

EA, Right Face... About turn!

http://www.ea.com/news/a-quick-clarification-on-online-games

PETER MOORE, Chief Operating Officer, EA.

Dismissed. :pac:

Glad they clarified it but i think everyone knew it anyway. EA get an awful bad rap, not all of it justifiable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i just wish they didnt ruined dead space been trying to play ds3 and its just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A couple of nice bits of news from the latest Sony indie-based talk. Of particular interest is the news that Dustforce is coming to PS3 and Vita, absolutely loved that game so great to see it coming to the big screen.

As an aside, it would be nice if we saw some class from Sony at this stage. Yea, we get it, you have the a great relationship with indies now and had your plan in place well in advance of MS. It's also great to see you've learned from your mistakes this gen like, you know, not being interested in Braid and Super Meat Boy or demanding Playdead hand over the IP for Limbo. The fact that you have this new approach and a great stable of games should be enough to impress people, anything else is just comes across as utterly juvenile.

Anyway, Dustforce. Go buy it. :)

While this doesn't really belong in either of the current Homeworld threads, I can't help but feel this is what flying one of the Scout ships feels like from the inside of the cockpit.

Either way, want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They better make a new X-wing game along those lines, just imagining flying through some of the massive star wars battles with a rift sends chills through me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everytime i see a Rift video like that, it makes me want to buy it. That looks brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Kiith wrote: »
    Everytime i see a Rift video like that, it makes me want to buy it. That looks brilliant.

I think rift would actually be great in a racing game. I remember forza made a big deal about headtracking. Rift can actually do what Kinect could never do properly with regards headtracking as your TV doesn't move with your head so the whole tracking thing became nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sarumite wrote: »
    I think rift would actually be great in a racing game. I remember forza made a big deal about headtracking. Rift can actually do what Kinect could never do properly with regards headtracking as your TV doesn't move with your head so the whole tracking thing became nonsense.

I use Track IR 4 and 5 for head tracking on the PC and it works great. Can't play a flight sim without it anymore as its invaluable for dogfights and its great for racing too. Your screen doesn't have to move as all you have to do is move your head just millimeters and the sensitivity multiplies that movement so the view point turns and you are still looking at the screen practically full on. This is 8 year old tech, nothing new. It works a treat in FPS games too like ARMA.

Kinect should have been doing this from day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

gizmo wrote: »
    While this doesn't really belong in either of the current Homeworld threads, I can't help but feel this is what flying one of the Scout ships feels like from the inside of the cockpit.

Either way, want. :)

So wait, does actually moving your head cause the view to change or is he changing where he looks with a controller?

with his head i'd hope otherwise it'd be really disorienting

• Advertisement

C14N wrote: »
    So wait, does actually moving your head cause the view to change or is he changing where he looks with a controller?
    It's an Oculus Rift so he's basically in the cockpit moving his head around.

gizmo wrote: »
    It's an Oculus Rift so he's basically in the cockpit moving his head around.

Nice, I wonder how many video games will start adding this functionality in to let you control your view with your actual neck. I assume the headset just functions as a sort of PC monitor right now with added motion sensing?

afaik either warthunder or wowp has it, cant remember which one as they both like almost identical

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Patches and game updates tend to usually add a new problem for anything they remove but this takes the cake, Phantasy Star Online 2 for the PC has been updated with the new feature of randomly deleting folders and files from your HDD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/428230/343-employee-criticises-disgusting-mgs5-female-character-design/

image_309213_320.jpg

343 content produced annoyeded at Kojima Productions for their disgusting character design. Thought Hideo handled his tweets awkwardly this week(saying he wanted to have sexy characters women can cosplay) but its a bit much to crap all over character design like this since this stuff has been going on for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Her underpants are outside her pants ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

GTR63 wrote: »
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/428230/343-employee-criticises-disgusting-mgs5-female-character-design/

image_309213_320.jpg

343 content produced annoyeded at Kojima Productions for their disgusting character design. Thought Hideo handled his tweets awkwardly this week(saying he wanted to have sexy characters women can cosplay) but its a bit much to crap all over character design like this since this stuff has been going on for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

VinLieger wrote: »
    They better make a new X-wing game along those lines, just imagining flying through some of the massive star wars battles with a rift sends chills through me

Oh yeah, the trench run, the battle of Hoth, the battle of Endor. Just make Rogue Squadron in HD and with Rift functionality, then take all the money.

Flight sim/dogfight games would be brilliant on it, or racing games, imagine playing Gran Turismo or something where there's no HUD, you have to look around the car cockpit and into the side and rear view mirrors to see whats going on like a real car.

Ubisoft games info leaked, two new AC games...milking it much?

I think I remember reading somewhere that a Ubi exec said they had planned to make around 10 installments but there could be as many as 35. It was when I heard that that I kind of just threw my hands in the air and said "feck it" with the series.

Found the link: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172053/Assassins_Creed_10_I_hope_so_says_Ubisofts_Detoc.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

C14N wrote: »
    I think I remember reading somewhere that a Ubi exec said they had planned to make around 10 installments but there could be as many as 35. It was when I heard that that I kind of just threw my hands in the air and said "feck it" with the series.

Found the link: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172053/Assassins_Creed_10_I_hope_so_says_Ubisofts_Detoc.php

I've only played AC 1,2 and 3 didn't bother with Brotherhood or Revelations, they're taking the piss with it now, Black Flag looks kinda interesting as I liked the naval parts of III but it's something I'll pick up on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ubisoft games info leaked, two new AC games...milking it much?

Nope a HD remake of the Vita game that died a death I imagine. Like Castlevania on the 3DS they probably need to release it on XBL & PSN to draw a profit. I image AC: Pirates will be an iPhone game aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Sony have some big announcement tomorrow, press conference at 7am Irish time. It might be in Japanese though, not sure, it's pre-Tokyo Game Show.

This is translated from Japanese I think so the English is a bit awkward, but:
    “Finally, it’s coming to #TGS2013. Like before, SCEJA will have a press conference before the game show. I could only say: The news you’ve been waiting for, and the information beyond your expectation will both be revealed officially. So tomorrow, please do watch the live-stream and keep follow @PlayStation !Promise to bring surprise to you!”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Atlus welcome to dormant Sega IP post-acquisition, Sega is happy for Atlus to work its magic on neglected properties from its new owner’s back catalogue.
    According to Siliconera‘s translation, Sega Sammy’s chief operating officer, Naoya Tsurumi told Famitsu that Atlus’s RPG talent is something the publisher would like to leverage.

“The fact that they’ve been able to capture fans from North America is really huge. That said, for Sega, it’s a big plus to have more IPs, but an even bigger plus to have more genres,” he said.

“While we have no intention of forcing this, we’d definitely love to have them utilise any of Sega’s dormant IPs,” he added.

The magazine listed Sakura Wars, Jet Set Radio, and Space Channel 5 as examples, but Tsurumi wouldn’t confirm.

“There are plenty that haven’t been active. However, the new company just recently got started, so there’s nothing on the table for now, but we’ll definitely be giving it more thought.”

Space Channel 5 done Persona-style, anyone? Oh, wait. That’s kind of already a thing.

Tsurumi also reiterated that Atlus will remain independent.

“As a new company, we will venture together, with Index working as an independent company. The plan is to have Atlus and Sega continue shining as brands, while aiming to increase their degree of independence,” he said.

“Similar to the studio we’ve acquired from overseas, they’ll continue managing their own brands and IPs, and making them bigger. Then, Sega will be the ones to sell them. So, think of it as us telling them ‘Continue working on your own IPs with pride and confidence – the sky is the limit.’

“Everything will remain the same. The people of Index will continue working thoroughly, and Sega have no plans to undertake any of their work. However, we’re at a point where Sega is offering Index to freely make use of any resources they may have, that Index does not. Index will be keeping many of their fine qualities, such as Atlus’ Shin Megami Tensei IP, and many others.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/28/atlus-welcome-to-dormant-sega-ip-post-acquisition/

Whole host of games I can think of that Atlus would do a good job on, nice to see them stating that they still have their independence as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Steam concurrent users break 7 million.
    Mid-morning ET on December 1, Steam peaked at 7,190,578 concurrent users, a new record for the service.
    That’s up from the 6.6 million of late January, which itself represented a 300% growth acceleration over November 2012.
    http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/01/steam-concurrent-users-break-7-million/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

EA to possibly reboot Desert Strike http://fusible.com/2013/11/electronic-arts-files-desert-strike-trademarks/

PSOne memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking about this recently. I remember it on megadrive and Amiga.

"Over here!"

Actually, just rereleasing the original with analogue controls would probably do me.

GOG are now allowing a returns for any game that doesn't work on your system. They also will allow a 14 day refund if you change your mind (though it can't have been downloaded). Hopefully Steam and Origin will follow through.
    If you buy a game on GOG.com and find that it doesn’t work properly on your system, and our support cannot fix the problem, you get a full refund. It’s a worldwide guarantee, and you have whole 30 days after the purchase date, to contact us about the refund.
    There’s even more! If you bought a game by mistake, or simply changed your mind about a purchase, you can get a full refund within 14 days, as long as the game wasn’t downloaded.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/12/pay-attention-steam-you-can-now-return-these-digital-games/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Kiith wrote: »
    GOG are now allowing a returns for any game that doesn't work on your system. They also will allow a 14 day refund if you change your mind (though it can't have been downloaded). Hopefully Steam and Origin will follow through.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/12/pay-attention-steam-you-can-now-return-these-digital-games/

Origin already do refunds on digital games. Even if you just don't like the game they give you your money back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement