Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

Epic Games are coming out swinging with their new store. Subnautica is free next week, followed by Super Meat Boy and a free game every fortnight throughout 2019
    https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2018/12/07/epic-games-store-is-now-open-promises-a-free-title-every-fortnight/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Epic Games are coming out swinging with their new store. Subnautica is free next week, followed by Super Meat Boy and a free game every fortnight throughout 2019
    https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2018/12/07/epic-games-store-is-now-open-promises-a-free-title-every-fortnight/

Are they free for ever once you install them or just for the 2 week period.

Available forever it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The surprise success of N-Sane trilogy might make this a high priority product and the developer has worked with Activision before and are very competent. The Skylander games are solid and well built.
    Perhaps, although Spyro still had an incredibly tight development schedule and work on that only began shortly before Crash was released for the PS4.

As for Beenox, it's less that they've worked with Activision and more the fact they work for them, they're a wholly owned subsidiary. What's most important to note about their work in the context of CTR and Skylanders is that, while they provided development support to and handled the port work for Toys for Bob and VV on some of the earlier iterations in the series, they were solely responsible for the racing elements of SuperChargers and the 3DS/Wii racing-only version of that entry, so they definitely have the experience in-house for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The walking dead: final season episode 3 is releasing on 15th January by Skybound. I'll definitely be picking up the season when the 4th and final episode releases. Very interested in how this works though. Currently, you can't buy the season pass from the PSN store so will it become available again when do 3 is out our can you only play it if you've bought the season pass while Telltale was around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

So what is this monster Hunter world malarky? My ears perked with the Witcher announcement. Is it like a Pokémon thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So what is this monster Hunter world malarky? My ears perked with the Witcher announcement. Is it like a Pokn thing?

Not like Pokemon at all. It's basically a Diablo-esque loot'em up but is probably closer to phantasy star online. It's got very tactical real time combat a bit like Dark Souls against giant monsters. But the really cool thing is you have to track and hunt the monsters down. The environment plays a big role as they can run in the middle of a fight and need to be tracked down again or can get into fights with bigger predators.

I'll leave it by saying MHW is pretty much game of the year material.

Haven't played diablo or phantasy Star, must look up a few vids of this, see if it's something I'd like. Sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

So what is this monster Hunter world malarky? My ears perked with the Witcher announcement. Is it like a Pokn thing?

I downloaded it played it for about 3 hours and never went back. That said some people love it. It's probably a very good game once you get to grips with it all but it's kind of overwhelming when you jump in as a noob.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I downloaded it played it for about 3 hours and never went back. That said some people love it. It's probably a very good game once you get to grips with it all but it's kind of overwhelming when you jump in as a noob.
    Hmm, I've got a couple of Monster Hunter games on the shelf but was holding off as I thought World was meant to be a better introduction to the series. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh nice! Please make it lead to a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake. Seems to be a bit of buzz about Saga lately due to a lot of articles written about it and discovering how amazing it is.

gizmo wrote: »
    Hmm, I've got a couple of Monster Hunter games on the shelf but was holding off as I thought World was meant to be a better introduction to the series. :o

It is a much nicer introduction, but it's still complicated and obtuse. A lot of people need a friend to show them the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh nice! Please make it lead to a Panzer Dragoon Saga remake. Seems to be a bit of buzz about Saga lately due to a lot of articles written about it and discovering how amazing it is.

Will never happen since the source code is gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

A proper proton whitelist appears: https://linuxgamecast.com/steam-whitelist/

Epic throws first punches at Valve: https://nichegamer.com/2018/12/09/new-releases-for-epic-games-store-are-delaying-or-canceling-steam-releases/

The GOG social media guy tries to join an apolitical gaming project and gets the usual treatment: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/anti-gamergate-journalists-smear-former-gog-employee-for-being-apolitical/73203/

True doom sequel appears: https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil
    I'll be playing this. I already really liked that random map he made ages ago and I play doom almost every week. More maps, mods and madness are always good. Hoping to jump into a mod project for it myself.

Fornite streamer abuses wife while live Warning: Discretion advised, might be hard to listen to. https://youtu.be/7yHy0gcZ11Y

The GOG social media guy tries to join an apolitical gaming project and gets the usual treatment: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/anti-gamergate-journalists-smear-former-gog-employee-for-being-apolitical/73203/
    I highly recommend actually reading the interview with Halliday at Eurogamer. It's fairly obvious his story doesn't add up in a number of areas and will hopefully give you a better perspective on what happened rather than whatever the hell Usher is trying to push in that article.

Epic going for exclusivity on their store is interesting though. Tommy Refenes spoke about it on his Discord channel and it's been picked up by a few outlets since, including PC Gamer.
    "Super Meat Boy [Forever] is coming to Steam April 2020, a year after it launches," he said, adding that the new store was "desperately needed to get Steam to give a ****".

"I understand people don't like change but...the end result of this will mean better games for people. It maybe more launchers [for players], sure, but a small price to play for a developer community that doesn't feel like they have one choice on PC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

He's quoting a pro-GG website gizmo, best not to engage :)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Could work through an emulation layer. The Modeler team have gotten a near perfect quad renderer working for the Model 3 emulator that could be used for it. Or just get M2 involved.

I live in hope. Want to talk to more people about how incredible that game is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Metro 2033 film that was announced in 2016 has been halted and the rights have reverted to creator Dmitry Glukhovsky, apparently they were trying to Americanize it and set in in Washington DC with the Dark ones just being random monsters and radical change the factions due to the change of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

If they're remaking it they might as well remake it from scratch anyway, most of it should be easy enough to replicate, only the dragon morphing system would be an unusual thing

and nerf the shields while they're at it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@gizmo Thanks for the link. Interesting how open Halliday is about his personal experiences.
    Despite years after their pre-GG disgrace in firing Rob Florence, Eurogamer haven't changed their attitude despite 2 ethics policy updates post-GG. As seen by suggesting that Halliday is possibly pro-GG like a McCarthyism piece. If Halliday wasn't pro-GG, I'm sure they've helped in making him so now.

In news, Valve has become aware of the double-standard censorship that their catalogue is being combed with (by an unknown element at Valve) and preparing a response and decision soon.
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/valve-will-reportedly-address-steam-game-bans-at-the-end-of-the-week/73288/
    What that decision will be is still anyone's guess. They'll either have to ban a ton of games that got a free pass despite having the same content as the banned ones or lift the bans for all.

Crytek must respond to keep their case against Star Citizen open
    https://techraptor.net/content/star-citizens-crytek-lawsuit-might-be-coming-to-a-close-soon

Cops join Smash game after being summoed for noise complaint
    https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/12/11/police-respond-to-noise-complaint-over-smash-bros-join-in-playing
    This is brilliant :D Like the opposite of swatting outcomes.
    Sieghardt wrote: »
    If they're remaking it they might as well remake it from scratch anyway, most of it should be easy enough to replicate

That would put the investment way above what typical remasters cost. They're usually just minimum-effort HD treatment that an emulator can do, which is practically money-printing to a publisher if they can poke the nostalgia nerve in marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So what is this monster Hunter world malarky? My ears perked with the Witcher announcement. Is it like a Pokémon thing?

3rd person wander about and attack stuff like Dark Souls. I couldn't get into it. It's A: very very Asian and B: I found the controls and combat clunky verging on awful.

I would like to go back and try again when I'm bored of other games.

Despite years after their pre-GG disgrace in firing Rob Florence, Eurogamer haven't changed their attitude despite 2 ethics policy updates post-GG.

Can we stop pretending this was a Gamergate thing and say what it was. It was a really ****ty libel case about advertising practices that just so happened to have been filed by a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can we stop pretending this was a Gamergate thing and say what it was. It was a really ****ty libel case about advertising practices that just so happened to have been filed by a woman.

There wasn't any libel case filed that I recollect, Eurogamer folded immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EA fights back against Bethesda for the worst game publisher of 2018 award with a last minute customer data breach knockout blow!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Bambi wrote: »
    There wasn't any libel case filed that I recollect, Eurogamer folded immediately.
    Because it could have bankrupted them to even fight it and they would have almost certainly lost the case which would definitely have put them out of business.

It's a shte state of affairs, I really like Rob Florence's stuff but the "offending" article would be hard to defend in a court because it insinuates corruption. I think he was treated very poorly by the whole thing, but it seems that from his own POV, it wasn't Eurogamer who were in the wrong.

Rob wasn't treated poorly. He left eurogamer of his own accord. And he couldn't blame eurogamer either, they had no choice to pull the article or face a libel suit that could have ruined them.

Blame how stupid the English (and Irish) libel laws are and how they can be misused so easily.

She should have taken it on the chin and responsed to and addressed the issues like Geoff Keighley did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That would put the investment way above what typical remasters cost. They're usually just minimum-effort HD treatment that an emulator can do, which is practically money-printing to a publisher if they can poke the nostalgia nerve in marketing.

Dunno, the recently remastered Spyro has the Unreal Engine licensing all over it. I doubt very much it was pulled or ported from an emulator, other than for referencing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement