Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

@gizmo Thanks for the link. Interesting how open Halliday is about his personal experiences.
    Despite years after their pre-GG disgrace in firing Rob Florence, Eurogamer haven't changed their attitude despite 2 ethics policy updates post-GG. As seen by suggesting that Halliday is possibly pro-GG like a McCarthyism piece. If Halliday wasn't pro-GG, I'm sure they've helped in making him so now.
    Retro covered the fact that Florence wasn't fired above but it's also worth commenting on how the affair was handled after the dust had settled somewhat.

As before, it's best to listen to the people involved to get a better understanding of what happened. A few days after the event, Bramwell made this post which not only explained things from their perspective but praised both Florence and his article. John Walker, Editor at RPS, also weighed in on the wider issue with this post and then, most importantly, Florence gave a longer form response with his side of things via a post on Walker's blog. As you can see, there was no animosity on Florence's side towards either Eurogamer or Bramwell and he made it clear where his ire was directed.

It's also worth noting he highlights the fact he felt the need to publicly ask people to lay off off the other writer in question due to the level of abuse she was getting over the incident. It's rather unsurprising that when things kicked off a year later, he didn't exactly hide his feelings on the matter nor does his opinion on the matter seem to have changed over the years.

As for you take on the Halliday interview, well that's just disappointing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

That would put the investment way above what typical remasters cost. They're usually just minimum-effort HD treatment that an emulator can do, which is practically money-printing to a publisher if they can poke the nostalgia nerve in marketing.

They're remakes, not remasters

I'd love to see them get the Dragon Force remake on digital stores in the west too, such a classic game deserves better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

gizmo wrote: »
    It's rather unsurprising that when things kicked off a year later, he didn't exactly hide his feelings on the matter nor does his opinion on the matter seem to have changed over the years.

His feelings towards it don't impact if what Eurogamer did was ethical or good/bad precedent in the industry. They censored his article and folded immediately. They didn't protect their staff or show reliability. He may forgive and forget but the consumer doesn't have to. I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt if they actually changed and got better but their ethics policy updates have been toothless.

As for his remarks about GG. You can thank the very same game journalist clique for making sure that it's the case with tons of anti-GG articles and wrong-think police to weed out anything pro or neutral. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
    John Walker, Editor at RPS, also weighed in
    The guy who lied about receiving death threats under the GG hashtag and displayed double standards when he greenlit Florence's article talking about rape allegations against a game dev (Tempkin) but threatened bans for bringing up the same topic of a self-labeled rapist game dev (Quinn). Not much weight to be added there.
    The TL:DR of his piece is pretty much "yeah we support him and think this is an important topic to discuss". Cue no 'discussion' for half a decade.
    As for you take on the Halliday interview, well that's just disappointing really.

The real disappointment is that people still read eurogamer after doritosgate, gg, censoring the Crash Override Network leaks which completely crumble the narrative they try to spin to date. Although you did make me find this video and channel which I appreciate.

By advice of a good friend, I'll not be having long discussions about these things on here anymore as they're sure it's a net negative for me. Game related news with light convo from now. Any rage towards me about the news I find interesting I'll not reply to - users are always free to take it up with the sites themselves.

In news
    It's the 90s all over again. Extra taxes for those evil video games in USA.
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/12/13/pennsylvania-state-rep-proposes-tax-on-mature-video-games/

China takes a harder approach to it
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/12/13/chinese-video-game-ethics-panel-allegedly-bans-nine-games-including-fortnite/

Apple bans historically accurate strategy game. Not the first time. They have a no-sads-like approach to content.
    https://toucharcade.com/2018/12/05/apple-removes-afghanistan-11-by-slitherine-from-the-app-store/

AI learning to play games even better now with less/no human guidance. Turns out it performs better without our knuckle-dragging suggestions.
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/robotics/artificial-intelligence/mb
    Sieghardt wrote: »
    They're remakes, not remasters
    Ah, my bad. Everyone was saying remasters earlier so I assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I feel blessed that I haven't the first clue what that gamergate nonsense was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

J. Marston wrote: »
    I feel blessed that I haven't the first clue what that gamergate nonsense was about.

In a nutshell, gamers were being charged premium rates for shoddy, budget gates.

• Advertisement

By advice of a good friend, I'll not be having long discussions about these things on here anymore as they're sure it's a net negative for me. Game related news with light convo from now. Any rage towards me about the news I find interesting I'll not reply to - users are always free to take it up with the sites themselves.
    Fair enough, dude. If you don't mind, I'd like to leave you one last link on the matter from Rab himself, this one written with a more light-hearted tone. Take from it what you will but at the very least, I'd almost guarantee it'll be better for you than subscribing to TheQuartering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

J. Marston wrote: »

You feel blessed that you're ignorant? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

It's a streaming crock of poo that's had no benefit to the world beyond creating cesspools of rage on the internet. About the only interesting thing about it is that it foreshadowed the online polarization that occurred around the Trump election.

It honestly is a blessing to know as little about it as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss...

I don't need to know about every murder in LA either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Leaked sales figures on Sony titles
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/sony-inadvertently-leaks-player-counts-for-ps4-titles/

BFV sales are abysmal considering its publisher and funding. It's telling that some of the most sold games are multi-platform.

Unlisted rules for school locations and depictions of children in games according to Valve artist
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/valve-now-bans-games-on-steam-for-child-exploitation-school-settings-according-to-dev/73665/

These rules make Life is Strange technically ban-worthy however the overall goal seems to be primed to target Japanese games which often have school settings and loli style. Good on Jane for finally revealing some actual information when Valve has been completely dark after doing a 180 after saying they wouldn't be "taste police".

Carlton sues Epic for using a dance he claims is his
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/12/18/carlton-banks-actor-is-suing-epic-games-for-stealing-his-dance-in-fortnite/

Maybe he'll get something if they settle for PR reasons. Stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

the surprising thing to me is that theres only one exclusive in the top 25 (last of us remastered) and thats a game from last gen! It kind of underlines how much they hang on touting the best exclusives (which they do have), as without them, there's very little to differentiate the two platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Where are the sales numbers in that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Leaked sales figures on Sony titles
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/12/sony-inadvertently-leaks-player-counts-for-ps4-titles/

BFV sales are abysmal considering its publisher and funding. It's telling that some of the most sold games are multi-platform.

Unlisted rules for school locations and depictions of children in games according to Valve artist
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/valve-now-bans-games-on-steam-for-child-exploitation-school-settings-according-to-dev/73665/

These rules make Life is Strange technically ban-worthy however the overall goal seems to be primed to target Japanese games which often have school settings and loli style. Good on Jane for finally revealing some actual information when Valve has been completely dark after doing a 180 after saying they wouldn't be "taste police".

Carlton sues Epic for using a dance he claims is his
    https://nichegamer.com/2018/12/18/carlton-banks-actor-is-suing-epic-games-for-stealing-his-dance-in-fortnite/

Maybe he'll get something if they settle for PR reasons. Stranger things have happened.

Since the data is about 5 weeks old it's likely that 200k for bfv is only the day 1 of the
    deluxe edition sales. So in fact pretty good !!

They have removed hitman and bfv as the data was unreliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not really sure what’s ‘telling’ about multi-platform titles being bestsellers? I mean even a cursory look at some public charts from recent years show titles like FIFA, COD and Minecraft dominating. For many, these are the reasons to own a console - not God of War or Forza Horizon (the exception, naturally, being Nintendo). The stats are interesting to see the scale of how some of these games have sold for sure, but don’t think they provide much insight into the broader market that we didn’t already now (aside from maybe how mid-tier games sell, and how many actually play PS plus titles).

Even aside from that, the leaked stats don’t actually contain info for a substantial number of exclusives anyway, including most of the biggest ones. It’s obvious that a lot of exclusives have been huge commercial successes and brought significant boosts to the brand’s reputation: being behind some of the market behemoths is more a simple illustration of how the mainstream game market is, rather than anything resembling a rebuke of the concept of exclusives.

Even aside from that, the leaked stats don’t actually contain info for a substantial number of exclusives anyway, including most of the biggest ones. It’s obvious that a lot of exclusives have been huge commercial successes and brought significant boosts to the brand’s reputation: being behind some of the market behemoths is more a simple illustration of how the mainstream game market is, rather than anything resembling a rebuke of the concept of exclusives.
    And since bringing significant boosts to the brand's reputation is pretty much their primary goal, looking at the position of PS4 in the market place I think they've done rather well. I swear, if I see another meme with some silly joke about God of War or Spider-Man not having micro-transactions... :o

On an unrelated note, where the absolute **** did Mortal Kombat X get those kinds of numbers from?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I swear, if I see another meme with some silly joke about God of War or Spider-Man not having micro-transactions... :o

You mean the "hey this was successful and didn't need micro transactions" stuff.

If Spiderman had them they probably would have made a nice bit with the unlock system and all the suits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On an unrelated note, where the absolute **** did Mortal Kombat X get those kinds of numbers from?

Ha, that was the one that made me go “what?!” as well. On a par with Fortnite is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Easy to avoid those memes, just don't go on r/gaming.

Varik wrote: »
    You mean the "hey this was successful and didn't need micro transactions" stuff.

If Spiderman had them they probably would have made a nice bit with the unlock system and all the suits.
    Yup, that's the implication. I just find it utterly bizarre how some folk can miss the point of the exclusive title so completely and then go parade that ignorance around draped in snark. J. Marston is right too, it's endemic in r/gaming.
    Ha, that was the one that made me go “what?!” as well. On a par with Fortnite is madness.
    Aye, I can understand some of the other titles being higher up than expected as they would have come as part of PS+ but MK definitely threw me. Props to NetherRealm though, they're definitely showing up Capcom on the fighting game front imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Aye, I can understand some of the other titles being higher up than expected as they would have come as part of PS+ but MK definitely threw me. Props to NetherRealm though, they're definitely showing up Capcom on the fighting game front imo.

Yeah I just finished the Story Mode of MKX again last week due to the trailer for MK11 being released. While I thought the story wasn't as good as MK9 (and similarly, Injustice 2 wasn't as good as Injustice 1), there's no denying the work they put into their games and it's always a joy to play. I could just never get into Street Fighter at all.

I do think NRS skirt the line of acceptability when it comes to microtransactions though. Injustice 2 wasn't as egregious as I'd feared, but buying Easy Fatalities and given how much stuff in the Krypt cost in MKX, plus character packs in MK/Injustice... I'm generally wary coming up to the release of their games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Props to NetherRealm though, they're definitely showing up Capcom on the fighting game front imo.

that whole thing with them putting advertising on fighters costumes is just a major turn off too.

Publishers put in optional MTX to cover 5he cost of their live service and they are the devil in gamers eyes.
    Sony adds an extra mandatory €10 per game charge and then charges you €50 to play it online and are held up as heroes by gamers !!

Publishers put in optional MTX to cover 5he cost of their live service and they are the devil in gamers eyes.
    Sony adds an extra mandatory €10 per game charge and then charges you €50 to play it online and are held up as heroes by gamers !!

Who holds Sony up as heroes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In general this is happening. Microsoft screwed up so royally and Sony are so far ahead that they can do no wrong in a lot of peoples eyes. They just can't do any wrong in a lot of peoples eyes yet aren't really doing a whole lot to earn that. They've been pretty anti consumer with the likes of the cross-platform play hullabaloo, lack of backwards compatibility meaning your previous console purchases are worthless, and introducing paid online under the shadow of Microsoft messing up badly.

They've gone from the company that turned the utter garbage that was the PS3 into a really great console into a company that kind of doesn't have to bother much with the PS4 because it will sell well regardless. Hopefully next gen shifts things up a bit and pushes Sony to try a bit harder.

Refer to the memes of the last year.

What "extra mandatory €10 per game charge"

What "extra mandatory €10 per game charge"

Sony charge about €10 as a licence fee/royalty payment per game to publish on the PS4. This is paid by the consumer. That's each disk/digital copy sold.

If Activision make a game that sells 1mill copies they pay Sony €10mill.

Sony charge about €10 as a licence fee/royalty payment per game to publish on the PS4. This is paid by the consumer. That's each disk/digital copy sold.

If Activision make a game that sells 1mill copies they pay Sony €10mill.

Sony and Microsoft get a cut of each sale of about 12% as far as I can figure - It wouldn't be a mandatory €10. Valve seem to get a 30% cut from sales on Steam from what I've read online.

Sony and Microsoft get a cut of each sale of about 12% as far as I can figure - It wouldn't be a mandatory €10. Valve seem to get a 30% cut from sales on Steam from what I've read online.

Think it was 30% for all of them, steam changed recently where they'd reduce it after a game hit a certain threshold.

• Advertisement

Think it was 30% for all of them, steam changed recently where they'd reduce it after a game hit a certain threshold.

Probably is 30% for all of them when it comes to digital distribution. The figures I was looking at for Sony were for retail which had about 12% going to Sony and about 20% going to the shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement