Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dreamers75 wrote: »

That could be bad , very bad if recent threads and youtube come into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

calex71 wrote: »
    That could be bad , very bad if recent threads and youtube come into the equation.

Not sure what the recent threads reference is to? (I'm new here. Hi!).

I'm guessing copyright infringement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Dair. wrote: »

Yep a lot of BS in that issue and its still on going

there's also the issue that Google **** up almost everything they touch nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah there's a ridiculous situation on youtube now involving lets plays and music rights. Basically the game companies who licensed the music and have no problem with the lets plays showing the game say its grand but theres tons of false claims being made on game music being played in lets play videos. Youtube arent checking the veracity of the claims before removing the videos and the channel owners have to fight tooth and nail to get them back up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah there's a ridiculous situation on youtube now involving lets plays and music rights. Basically the game companies who licensed the music and have no problem with the lets plays showing the game say its grand but theres tons of false claims being made on game music being played in lets play videos. Youtube arent checking the veracity of the claims before removing the videos and the channel owners have to fight tooth and nail to get them back up

If Twitch became big enough by itself, it would get the same problems anyway though. It's in Youtube's interest to fix the situation (gaming channels make up a huge portion of Youtube's "most subscribed" lists) so it might be better to drag it through this mess early.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

C14N wrote: »
    If Twitch became big enough by itself, it would get the same problems anyway though. It's in Youtube's interest to fix the situation (gaming channels make up a huge portion of Youtube's "most subscribed" lists) so it might be better to drag it through this mess early.

I disagree, youtube ****ed this whole thing up royally the way they went about it with the automated system putting the onus on the content producer rather than the claiment. If thats how they plan to do it with twitch then god help e-sports is all I can say, the second a stream goes up they will have fraudulent claims hitting it in the hundreds and youtubes ****ty robots will take it down

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So, the only competition youtube had in gaming content is soon going to be shut down or turned in to poo and will be pretty much unusable. Lovely...

Quite ironic when so many youtubers switched to twitch and still could not run away from youtube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

VinLieger wrote: »
    My favourite was a indie developer (single man gig) who uploaded some videos of him playing his own game, that he developed, and getting hit with claims he did not own the copyright to the content :pac:. Go Youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

James Riley one of the co-creators of the infamous Mega CD game Night Trap confirmed today that the game is getting a HD re-release, no word though on what formats it will be available for though, remember watching older cousins playing it when I was a kid.

• Advertisement

Some layoffs at Rare it seems http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18148-Rare-Reportedly-Suffers-Layoffs-Following-Kinect-Sports-Rivals-Flopping.html

Shame what they have become, I remember reading recently they were under no pressure to make kinect titles from MS and that they made the games they wanted to make, I find that very hard to swallow given what they have produced in recent years vs their back catalog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Some layoffs at Rare it seems http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-18148-Rare-Reportedly-Suffers-Layoffs-Following-Kinect-Sports-Rivals-Flopping.html

Shame what they have become, I remember reading recently they were under no pressure to make kinect titles from MS and that they made the games they wanted to make, I find that very hard to swallow given what they have produced in recent years vs their back catalog

Yeah, it's a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions. There's no way the guys who made Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark just decided to give up on that and make dreadful shovelware after a change of ownership.

Saw this get a mention on several game news site

Ohhhhhhhh mysterious http://projectv1.com

Ohhhhhhhh mysterious

Viewtiful Joe seems to be the popular "guess". Interesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally the Matt Hardy game I've been waiting for.

Viewtiful Joe seems to be the popular "guess". Interesting though.

Oh didn't think of that one, but now you say it, it is a good fit for that site with the helmet in the back ground, position of the V, the fact it's a V and they do say "He" is coming. Ticks a lot of boxes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Don't get too excited. It's a long way off. But Eurogamer have a small article with a concept pic, and a word on the scale of the levels.

They say they won't have anything for E3, unfortunately and there's no word on a rough release date. They claim that the building in the image will be fully exploreable and bigger than any map in Absolution. And it'll be set in the height of his career, so before Absolution and Blood money. Other than that, they don't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Nice one! I love Absolution.

Ohhhhhhhh mysterious http://projectv1.com

Ha. Turns out it's to advertise a Belgian game magazine's forthcoming E3 coverage. Bastards.

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Ha. Turns out it's to advertise a Belgian game magazine's forthcoming E3 coverage. Bastards.

Awwwwwwwwwwww :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

humanji wrote: »
    Don't get too excited. It's a long way off. But Eurogamer have a small article with a concept pic, and a word on the scale of the levels.

They say they won't have anything for E3, unfortunately and there's no word on a rough release date. They claim that the building in the image will be fully exploreable and bigger than any map in Absolution. And it'll be set in the height of his career, so before Absolution and Blood money. Other than that, they don't say anything.
    Excellent. It sounds like they're really returning to the recipe of Blood Money, rather than the disappointing Absolution.

300 jobs to go with Zenimax in Galway :( Only here 2 or 3 years aren't they?

I thought they only announced a few hundred new jobs there a couple of months ago!? Shame. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    I thought they only announced a few hundred new jobs there a couple of months ago!? Shame. :(

I had a marketing job offer from them when they announced the new jobs, but they were all short term contracts, its a shame though have a few friends working for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Slightly related, but Gametrailers have been sold and a number of employees were let go. Hopefully Kyle Bosman was not one of them, a genuinely funny gaming show he does weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wonder who bought it, competition like IGN or someone who will keep it going? GT used to be my go to site for game reviews but the last few years, they have been really off, imo.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I wonder who bought it, competition like IGN or someone who will keep it going? GT used to be my go to site for game reviews but the last few years, they have been really off, imo.

It was sold to Defy Media, who seem to own The Escapist and GameFront. I agree regarding reviews, I really going visit the site for the Final Bosman show and watch the odd trailer (I find their video player to be poor though).

Article on the sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Benzino wrote: »
    Slightly related, but Gametrailers have been sold and a number of employees were let go. Hopefully Kyle Bosman was not one of them, a genuinely funny gaming show he does weekly.

He's tweeted that he's being kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Advertisement

Crytek might be in a bit of trouble, or as one Eurogamer poster phased it, looks like they have a crysis in there hands :pac:
    Crysis developer Crytek has denied claims it is on the verge of bankruptcy.

A recent report from German magazine GameStar claimed Crytek, which has its headquarters in Frankfurt, was in financial trouble and that the development of Xbox One exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome had been a "disaster".

Our colleagues at Eurogamer Germany looked into the report, and gave me the following translation:

"'The vultures are circling already,' so says a leading employee of one of the large publishers. Companies like this have already started making offers to the most talented people at Crytek, to hire them away. Such a brain drain can become dangerous for any studio, even a financially stable one.

"A takeover of Crytek would be interesting for a company, that could use the development-experience of the Crytek and doesn't want to build up such experience itself. That is why the Belarus F2P-giant Wargaming is rumoured to be a potential buyer.

"When you are reading this, there is hope that Crytek has managed to avoid disaster. A new source of money, said Avni Yerli [one of the managing directors], is in sight. When we called him in early June, the contract had not yet been signed, but will be in a short while. 'Not all is good. Our transition to become a F2P-studio had been painful. But all that is now behind us.'"

Responding to our enquiries, Crytek dismissed the GameStar report.

A Crytek spokesperson issued Eurogamer the following statement:

"Regardless of what some media are reporting, mostly based on a recent article published by GameStar, the information in those reports and in the GameStar article itself are rumors which Crytek deny.

"We continue to focus on the development and publishing of our upcoming titles Homefront: The Revolution, Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, Arena of Fate, and Warface, as well as providing ongoing support for our CryEngine and its licensees.

"We have received a lot of positive feedback during and after E3 from both gaming press and gamers, and would like to thank our loyal employees, fans and business partners for their continuous support."

Source

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement