Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Cordell

So such big and old company as Blizzard did something like this after making stupid amount of money. Their response: we made metric **** ton of money, but we wanted to make 2 metric **** tons of money. Disappointing... Let go 800 people.

This is how it works: making a **** ton of money is nothing for stock market if you're not on a path to make 2 **** tons on money in the predictable future. Investors want growth, not just profit. Profit alone is not good, it has to be even increasing. Cents on dollar in dividends is not as attractive as dollars on dollars on stock price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Bambi wrote: »
    The same chappies who moan about some broohaa thats 4 years old being played out then immediately launch into bandstanding about Ronnie ****ing Reagans presidency (40 years lads ) and the evils of American Corporate Culture like they're auditioning for a job in Kotaku

Sometimes you have to call bull**** on the carry on.
    [sarcasm]people that are still going on about gamergate at this stage are absolute valiant warriors fighting the rigtheous fight[/sarcasm]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So probably no lawsuit for epic over fortnite dances anymore, US Copyright Office rejected filing on grounds it was too simple for a choreographed work and it would have been NBC who held ownership if it was.

Would guess backpack kids the same, but who knows about rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    [sarcasm]people that are still going on about gamergate at this stage are absolute valiant warriors fighting the rigtheous fight[/sarcasm]

Thats not what its about,its about being told your not allowed to post about it because some people are getting offended and triggered by its mention.

People should be allowed post about it if they want. Same way you should be able to ignore it of you want.

Full disclosure,i know very little about gamergate and have very little interst in talking about it or knowing more about it. But i believe in rob ninjas case he follows it and likes to talk about it,why should that be not allowed? Are people that sensitive that even its mentions riles them? Bit silly of them if they are imo

Shutting down people just because you dont like or agree with their opinion is more reprehensible imo than posting stuff that people can ignore if they so choose in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nothing shown for EA's Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order but Disney have come out with a date for the tie in merchandise as the 4th of October. It's not just for the game, they're also releasing stuff for IX and the Mandalorian TV series and a bunch of other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How did it take so long to release this rubbish?
    I'm not surprised the "powered by the cloud" stuff was mothballed as that was never going to work in this generation of consoles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't base a purchase on a jim sterling impression but it looks like the end result is very disappointing from other reviews. Not a bad game just there's been no evolution of the core concepts and game design since 2007. Multiplayer mode is meant to be a disaster as well.

Looks like the 'power of the cloud' thing turned out to be a Sony level crock of **** promise everyone knew it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't base a purchase on a jim sterling impression but it looks like the end result is very disappointing from other reviews. Not a bad game just there's been no evolution of the core concepts and game design since 2007. Multiplayer mode is meant to be a disaster as well.

Looks like the 'power of the cloud' thing turned out to be a Sony level crock of **** promise everyone knew it would be.

Unless he's being very selective in the gameplay clips he showing, the game looks terribly boring.
    I'm just shocked it took them this long to release a game this poor.
    At least with a game like the Last Guardian, it was a unique game. The constant delays could be put to making the interactions between player and "dog-cat-monster" work and be enjoyable.
    Crackdown 3 looks to do nothing new, and do it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I had a big post typed out, but it started to seem a little preachy, so I deleted it.

Boils down to this:

* More Crackdown - Good
    * Multiplayer attempt - Bad

I don't care about MP, so I'm left with a good SP game.

People waiting for it for MP, have a right to be slightly pissed off at what was delivered to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah feck it, that was one of the few bright spots on the horizon for me amidst all the multilayer and remastered crud.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Ah feck it, that was one of the few bright spots on the horizon for me amidst all the multilayer and remastered crud.

It's a good SP game, just like Crackdown was :)
    Sure, there's little evolution of the formula from 2007, but so what? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,107 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »

By all accounts if you liked the first two games you'll like this one. They never grabbed my attention so I've no interest in the 3rd.

Think Microsoft just needed to get it out now anyway and be done with it. The direction they took under the last leadership set this generation back a long way. Luckily from the fallout they've created some good services with Backwards Compatiblity, GamePass and EA Access which will stand to them in the long run.

Now with Spencer on board you can see a shift to produce more and better games with the acquisition of the studios but we're unlikely to see anything come out on the One but hopefully there will be a steady stream of games on the next console.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It's a good SP game, just like Crackdown was :)
    Sure, there's little evolution of the formula from 2007, but so what? :D

I really enjoyed the first Crackdown. One of the first 360 games I owned and thought it was terrific and a lot of fun. Crackdown 2 I played for a while, but it just seemed 'off' to me. It was more Crackdown, but I think because it failed to really evolve in any way, it just felt bland and uninteresting. That was in 2010.

I had hoped Crackdown 3 would be worth the wait, but everything I saw of it over the last few years, and even watching gameplay/reviews of it, all I can think is just "I'd rather replay Saints Row 4". SR4 wasn't a great or fantastic game, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to play. It took the powers/abilities of Crackdown, added more to it, plus the Saints Row spin, great and unique weapons, and was released over 5 years ago. And it still looks like it'd be better than Crackdown 3.

Disappointing, but given its development issues, probably not surprising. Only for the fact so many can get it on Gamepass essentially for free, it'd be a disaster. With Gamepass though, I think a lot of people will get a lot of enjoyment out of it for a while.

Penn wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first Crackdown. One of the first 360 games I owned and thought it was terrific and a lot of fun. Crackdown 2 I played for a while, but it just seemed 'off' to me. It was more Crackdown, but I think because it failed to really evolve in any way, it just felt bland and uninteresting. That was in 2010.

I had hoped Crackdown 3 would be worth the wait, but everything I saw of it over the last few years, and even watching gameplay/reviews of it, all I can think is just "I'd rather replay Saints Row 4". SR4 wasn't a great or fantastic game, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to play. It took the powers/abilities of Crackdown, added more to it, plus the Saints Row spin, great and unique weapons, and was released over 5 years ago. And it still looks like it'd be better than Crackdown 3.

Disappointing, but given its development issues, probably not surprising. Only for the fact so many can get it on Gamepass essentially for free, it'd be a disaster. With Gamepass though, I think a lot of people will get a lot of enjoyment out of it for a while.

I have a sort of duality of feelings about it.

While on one hand, I know you're right, it should have evolved. On the other, I've played SP, and I like it :)

The devs got a pretty raw deal from MS IMO. They were trying to force cloud OS like Azure to be a thing, and needed a property to showcase the power of the cloud, vs the $500 box. Crackdown was picked for this experiment and through the huge changes in vision that occurred from inception to release, we are left with what came out last Friday.

If Gamepass was not a thing, I would imagine sales would have been an all time low on this particular game. Most people are more co-op and MP focused than they were 5 years ago, and the MP is not good here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,437 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unless he's being very selective in the gameplay clips he showing, the game looks terribly boring.
    I'm just shocked it took them this long to release a game this poor.
    At least with a game like the Last Guardian, it was a unique game. The constant delays could be put to making the interactions between player and "dog-cat-monster" work and be enjoyable.
    Crackdown 3 looks to do nothing new, and do it bad.

Well it changed developer apparently which is never good.

I actually found Last Guardian hugely over rated. Simple puzzles and a criminal framerate on the base PS4. I should go back and try and finish it but didn't enjoy what I played of it and the creature was just a glorified ladder most of the time that didn't obey you sometimes. It just reminded me of puzzle platform games like Sleepwalker and Bubba n'Stix that's been done to death already.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    If Gamepass was not a thing, I would imagine sales would have been an all time low on this particular game. Most people are more co-op and MP focused than they were 5 years ago, and the MP is not good here.

I think MS knew they had a bit of a disappointment on their hands as it's not been pushed as heavily as other games and the multiplayer portion was delayed for review.

I enjoyed the first Crackdown game but it was enough for me and no intentions of playing the same thing again unless it's evolved in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'v never played Crackdown but grabbed the first one as it was free. Might give it a go today.

First one is a gem, less said about the second the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

EoinHef wrote: »
    Thats not what its about,its about being told your not allowed to post about it because some people are getting offended and triggered by its mention.

People should be allowed post about it if they want. Same way you should be able to ignore it of you want.

Full disclosure,i know very little about gamergate and have very little interst in talking about it or knowing more about it. But i believe in rob ninjas case he follows it and likes to talk about it,why should that be not allowed? Are people that sensitive that even its mentions riles them? Bit silly of them if they are imo
    I never said conversation about Creepygate should be censored or not allowed. I just think that it's kind of funny that people are still going on about it these days and I was just having a little laugh because when I see people still flogging that horse it makes me groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I never said conversation about Creepygate should be censored or not allowed. I just think that it's kind of funny that people are still going on about it these days and I was just having a little laugh because when I see people still flogging that horse it makes me groan.

In fairness, this latest Gamergate news was brought to us by a valued news site. One which, in its journalistic writings, fully delves into the biggest issues in modern gaming.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/streets-of-rage-4-gameplay-clips-screenshots-capture-hd-hotness/74284/
    In the messy Mayor’s office we see a map of the city, broken down doors, and Blaze ready to punch straight into a electric wrist shield by a police officer. Lizardcube showcases their skills for drawing a hot chick by giving Blaze some thick thighs and sexy curves. Her firm body is on full display along with an ample rack and a tight derriere. She’s the complete opposite of the hambeasts and hideous trolls that SJW game designers have been adding to Western games over the last six years.

In another shot we see one of the baddies that Axel is about to face off against. She’s a black chick with a punk haircut and a snake around her arm. Even as an enemy Lizardcube kept her looking fairly sexy with high-heels, tight jeans that highlight her rotund rump, and a low-cut shirt that gives you a view of her ample cleavage.

I’m just amazed that they made a villain a black chick that isn’t ugly. This is a surprising turn of events compared to all the other games out there.

The last screenshot gives us one more upskirt shot of Blaze as she sweeps a dominatrix and a few other thugs encroaching on her space. Axel is standing back, attempting to avoid falling into the gaping pit below him.

I'm not sure if the last line is referring to the game or that website :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My only exposure to gamergate is from whatever makes it to this thread so all I know is it has something to do with liking hentai games, not liking censorship of hentai games and not liking gay characters in games (though I presume if the gay characters are two female anime characters then it's grand).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I often wonder if Watergate had never happened what we'd call all these things?

Videogames: Serious business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, this latest Gamergate news was brought to us by a valued news site. One which, in its journalistic writings, fully delves into the biggest issues in modern gaming.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/12/streets-of-rage-4-gameplay-clips-screenshots-capture-hd-hotness/74284/

I'm not sure if the last line is referring to the game or that website :D

You should read the comments on the recent DeadMau5 apology article. They're absolutely gas. The pong of impotent rage off of them...

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/02/deadmau5-kowtows-to-sjws-apologizes-for-his-behavior-says-hes-ashamed-of-his-twitch-comments/77193/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My only exposure to gamergate is from whatever makes it to this thread so all I know is it has something to do with liking hentai games, not liking censorship of hentai games and not liking gay characters in games (though I presume if the gay characters are two female anime characters then it's grand).
    It has nothing to do with any of that, it just so happens that there's a lot of crossover with the people who "support" it and the people who are into creepy hentai games and take great exception to their "art" being modified when they wanted to get the true depiction of that 12 year old looking character, who's actually really a 3000 year old demon being repeatedly raped by tentacles and the likes... Now, I admit that's something of an over-simplification and a somewhat tongue in cheek account of it, but it's not exactly incorrect either.

Gamergate started as a campaign to harass a female games developer named Zoe Quinn by her jilted ex boyfriend and it exploded into about ten different things. A lot of its supporters refuse to accept this despite the timeline of facts being quite clear and a vast pool of evidence to support it. Ostensibly, they try to claim it's about "ethics in games journalism" because the initial smear campaign was pitched to use this as a cover (the campaign centred on the idea that this woman slept with several game journalists to get favourable reviews for her game). It grew in many directions, and some unfortunates who genuinely wanted to see better games journalism have stuck with it despite it's origins as a harassment campaign. At this stage, I like them to flat earthers or Catholics - so wrapped up in their own madness that the unending stream of facts and horror stories about what's being done in their name that all you can really do is pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I see the no-goobergate rule isn't in effect so long as it's a certain party that's dribbling on about it.

Unfortunately the horse bolted, the narrative did not hold, the jig was up and people made their own minds up on grober-grape.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shiminay wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with any of that, it just so happens that there's a lot of crossover with the people who "support" it and the people who are into creepy hentai games and take great exception to their "art" being modified when they wanted to get the true depiction of that 12 year old looking character, who's actually really a 3000 year old demon being repeatedly raped by tentacles and the likes... Now, I admit that's something of an over-simplification and a somewhat tongue in cheek account of it, but it's not exactly incorrect either.

Mate... you've never actually even seen an erotic Visual Novel, much less played it, have you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Sigh, here we go again.

There is no blanket ‘no GamerGate’ rule. There is, however, an effort to stop this thread being dominated by people relitigating the whole sorry affair at every opportunity. If the subject legitimately comes up again, have at it - but not every minor Twitter outrage is worth dragging the thread off on this again. The conversation always turns toxic and personal.

The vast majority of posters have no interest in it one way or the other, so if it begins to over-dominate the thread based on a small number of posters having the same old five year old arguments we will have to step in.

So that’s that. Back to news please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Darkest Dungeon 2 announced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I must start practicing screaming at the tv

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement