Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Skerries wrote: »
    mock up of a concept controller

Good, it looks dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Good, it looks dreadful.

You misspelled Beautiful :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Cordell

It does look beautiful, but my palms hurt just by looking at those narrow pointy edges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Halo: MCC is confirmed as coming to PC. They'll release the games as they finish them, so they'll start with Reach, and release the rest later. It'll be on Steam too.

Also, Reach is coming to Halo: MCC

Wonder if it's cross platform as only recently picked up a One S and got the game digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wonder if it's cross platform as only recently picked up a One S and got the game digitally.

No harm in waiting and you'll get your answer. Wouldn't think it'd work the other way if bought outside the MS store.

• Advertisement

Can see MS making MCC a "play anywhere" title

They've said every new title published by MS would be, but would this count as it's not new.

Would think it would be limited to purchases through and redeemed on their store.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,287 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    They've said every new title published by MS would be, but would this count as it's not new.

Would think it would be limited to purchases through and redeemed on their store.

I think they said it's coming to both the windows 10 store and steam so there's a good chance you will have the windows 10 store version if you own it digitally on xbox. I'd say the steam version will be a separate purchase.

I would hope they'd implement crossplay between both pc versions.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think they said it's coming to both the windows 10 store and steam so there's a good chance you will have the windows 10 store version if you own it digitally on xbox. I'd say the steam version will be a separate purchase.

Would be fair turn around, seeing as they are always banging the drum for console cross play :)

Mickeroo wrote: »

Agree about the MS store.

I don't think this will be an example but ye there's been PC game with split player base between the stores.

At worst maybe Xbox won't play steam, at worst.

Seems you will be able to stream pc games to the Xbox https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/13/18263513/microsoft-xbox-one-pc-games-support-streaming-wireless-display-app-feature

No mouse and keyboard support. Not tried it myself but have tried it the other way around and it works reasonably well even over wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1105886993903423493?s=19

This is the strangest rumour I've seen in some time.

ERG89 wrote: »

2nd reply says it's just speculation!

Sony couldn't afford to buy TakeTwo anyway :D

ERG89 wrote: »

Please don't happen!

• More good news for Capcom
    #1 on the charts for DMC5
    If you make a great game single player with no bull**** attached people will buy it, who'd have though @ EA

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-12-devil-may-cry-5-is-capcoms-second-uk-no-1-of-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

How many times does that need to be said about EA though?

Yeah, people are buying DMCV and it's being praised all over the shop but Fifa alone will sell 20-30 million and bring in maybe a billion in Fifa point sales and that is just one single game from their catalogue.

Where is the motivation when you can reap maximum profit for little effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've never figured out how EA Sports players love getting shafted so much.
    Surely they realise there are more games out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I've never figured out how EA Sports players love getting shafted so much.
    Surely they realise there are more games out there?

I imagine a lot of football fans are school drop out morons, the "meathead" stereotype, that wouldn't think twice on coughing up all that money for such a stupid lazily designed game... because FOOTBALL!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

J. Marston wrote: »
    How many times does that need to be said about EA though?

Yeah, people are buying DMCV and it's being praised all over the shop but Fifa alone will sell 20-30 million and bring in maybe a billion in Fifa point sales and that is just one single game from their catalogue.

Where is the motivation when you can reap maximum profit for little effort?

My argument would be that EA have said that there is no money in single player games after they bought out really good developed making great single player games and quickly shut them down when they weren't making FIFA money from the games.

I've no problem with EA making a billion from ultimate team. Not a penny of it is mine. But Visceral studios is gone because of them along with Dantes Inferno and Dead Space. There are many other examples but you know what I mean.

If FIFA is a lazy low cost money spinner then they could easily re invest 20% of its profits into single player games and have the best of both worlds. They would have their money and praise for making good single player games too. Doesn't happen that way though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

FIFA Players pretty much only play FIFA and their console is only a FIFA machine. So by in large, they don't engage with or understand and more importantly, care about the larger games market. They want the latest teams in the latest strips and they want to make the sickest combos in FUT with the best players so beat other people with. If ever a genre of games should be switched to the "live service" model it's this one.

Same can be said for Sims fans btw, they almost exclusively play Sims and nothing else and they get shafted even harder than the sports game fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I play FIFA and I don't spend a penny on the game, same as everyone else I know who plays it, we also all play other games than FIFA. Yes there is a lot of people who only play FIFA but there is also a lot of people who play it the same way they play any other game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Jaysus,maybe get off your high horses folks?

I dont play fifa,havent in years,but because someone enjoys something there morons or there so dumb they dont understand?

Come off it. No need to be so outraged by what other people enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Gaming snobbery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If FIFA is a lazy low cost money spinner then they could easily re invest 20% of its profits into single player games and have the best of both worlds. They would have their money and praise for making good single player games too. Doesn't happen that way though.

That would never happen as EA don't make games for gamers, they make games for the shareholders who own them hence they are trying to make all their franchises into a "games as a service" type gig.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't get FIFA. Think it's a total failure as an actual fun game. I can enjoy games like sensible soccer, ice hockey, old school madden and even ISS but the problem with football I find is it doesn't translate into a fun game once you start striving for realism. If it hadn't the slick presentation and license I doubt it would get as much attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just read the r/Fifa subreddit, it's a genuine addiction for most of them.

One of the most popular thread titles you'll see is "Building the squad/the transfer market is the fun part of the game, I hate/dread the gameplay." Weekend League is torture to endure for rewards. When I was playing it, it was the angriest I ever was while gaming but did it anyway all for the pursuit of shinier fúcking cards.

I wasted so much time on that game and it still annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Really enjoyed FIFA 08 up until 12 or 13 when Ultimate Team became the main focus. Game plays worse then since Frostbite became its game engine,
    PES plays these days but it feels like mainly the same game for the last 5 years.
    Haven't even bought the last few football games but one thing I will say about EA making single player games is that they ain't games you can make overnight in 2019; takes years of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

EoinHef wrote: »
    Jaysus,maybe get off your high horses folks?

I dont play fifa,havent in years,but because someone enjoys something there morons or there so dumb they dont understand?

Come off it. No need to be so outraged by what other people enjoy.

Just in case it came across that I look down on anyone playing FIFA, I dont. My point is just that EA are shouting the loudest about the death of single player games when they could easily be the champions of them if they wanted. At the very least they could be quiet and not interfere with developers that are making great single player games.

It shouldn't matter to anyone what game another person plays and enjoys. Each to their own. I'm not into any sports game myself but nor do i play much multiplayer. Just not my bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

IMO FIFA hasn't been good since RTWC 98. (I've not played one since 99, but that's not the point.)

• Advertisement

FIFA is a very good game actually. I find it to be tremendous fun against friends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement