Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

In case it wasn't clear, I'm a FIFA player too, it's one of my favourite couch-games and I don't think any less of these folks who see their console as a FIFA machine - they're as valid a "gamer" as me or anyone else. I never once suggested that FIFA fans were lesser or morons or anything of the sort, lots of people projecting that though, so maybe have a think about that... I have HUNDREDS of hours on FIFA with my friends and they're some of my best gaming memories, but of that group, most of them never play any other game, just FIFA and they're all really good at it and simply have no interest in any other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fifa is a great game. It's a staggering achievement to scan every player in every major league in the world into the game, animate them, build it into a game, program it, design an industry leading AI so all 22 players act independently, then put it in the hands of 20+ million players who spend hundreds of hours making random inputs and it rarely has any major bugs.

If anyone thinks that is easy or lazy needs to gain a better understanding of the tech behind the games they play.

As for the single player crap, Fifa has single player, it even has a single player story mode. Pretty much every EA game can be played in a single player mode.

When the hell did making games with less options become the pinnacle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just don't find it fun. Even in multiplayer. Maybe I need to get better at it but I just find other sports games are far easy to pick up and start having fun with than Fifa. Maybe I just don't get it.

You can change the controller profile settings and it simplifies the controls, makes it much easier to play without making the teams easier to beat. Doesn't't really impact the reward from mastering a control scheme like other games either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is there a new Fifa game coming out or something? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    problem with football I find is it doesn't translate into a fun game once you start striving for realism.
    What about Football Manager? Now that's some realism right there!

Nothing better than picking up a non league team and being fired after a few games cause they're all terrible footballers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Taylor365 wrote: »
    What about Football Manager? Now that's some realism right there!

Nothing better than picking up a non league team and being fired after a few games cause they're all terrible footballers.

I hate those games! Put in that case I can see why people would like it. Fifa just baffles me. It's no NHL 94 :)

Windjammers 2 announced.

Looks gorgeous and just as much fun as the original. Some actual decent flash art for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Just because you don't enjoy the game or aren't good at it doesn't mean the game is bad, I played Battlefield 5 and didn't enjoy it at all, was useless at it, doesn't mean it's a bad game, just means I don't really enjoy shooters

Just because you don't enjoy the game or aren't good at it doesn't mean the game is bad, I played Battlefield 5 and didn't enjoy it at all, was useless at it, doesn't mean it's a bad game, just means I don't really enjoy shooters

Which is what baffles me. If I don't enjoy a game I can recognize why people would think its good or that it's just me. Fifa seems to me to be just a bad bad when it comes to the actual football. Sometimes a good license, graphics and skinner box elements will disguise this.

There was a time when Fifa a couple of years ago when even compute football fans were saying that Fifa was a terrible game and the current pro evo was far better. Yet Fifa sold more and people were able to put up with awful gameplay because it had licenses. Fifa apparently is a lot better now but it shows that presentation can excuse a lot.

• Advertisement

In fairness to EA they have done brilliantly the last few years with what they have added to Fifa in terms of Ultimate Team, they really have rejuvenated the game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In fairness to EA they have done brilliantly the last few years with what they have added to Fifa in terms of Ultimate Team, they really have rejuvenated the game

Every time I hear anyone praise Ultimate Team or other DLC moneysinks, all I can picture is a victim of Stockholm Syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Every time I hear anyone praise Ultimate Team or other DLC moneysinks, all I can picture is a victim of Stockholm Syndrome.

I played UT for a good few years and never spent a penny on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

All they've added is more and more cards of different colours and introduced the hyper-competitive weekend grind. They got rid of stuff like the Gold Cup where people casually played the game with an element of competitiveness to keep it interesting. They even made divisions a grind. Squad Battles is a grind.

Things are only a grind if you make them that, I play rivals and I don't think it's a grind.

I'm talking about them introducing the SBCs and the weekend league, people forget they weren't there before

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

FUT is either a time sink or a money sink, depending on how much patience you have.

It annoys me how much EA neglect the other parts of FIFA for FUT. Career mode is badly in need of an overhaul. I've played all of them since the mid-90s and the past number of years its all about FUT.

Me and a mate I was living with for just over a year mostly played FIFA for all that time. Picked it up for a fiver (don't buy the latest) then got one in the vault. Engineer and an IT guy, couple of drop-out meatheads I suppose really. I don't know what people expect from multi-player if they can't see how it's fun to play against a friend in something you're both good at and you can see tactics evolving massively overtime with some big breakthroughs and other times a temporary wall goes up in one player's favour when they pin down something the other guy was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Valve discounts reviews that are about things they have judged to be irrelevant to the customer:
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1808664240333155775

Insanity tbh. Any review that is negative that comes in at a hot time, like when the publisher messes up big time with an update or change of some kind, is now considered 'bombing'. EULA and DRM issues are apparently not what you should care about, because Valve decides what you care about.

You can sort of turn off some of this filter malarkey in your steam settings here https://store.steampowered.com/account/preferences
    A: We'd suggest setting your Steam Reviews default to "Include reviews from all Steam purchases in Review Scores" in under the "Review Score Settings" in your Steam Store Preferences

Generally when i read a review i want them to have played the game.

Games journalist get **** for reviewing games they haven't fully played, but it's okay for randos online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

User reviews have a completely different format. They can even be one-liner reviews about a specific thing. "It has the character we wanted!" or something really to the point like that... or even a long chronological list of updates the game has gone through, dev responses and why it is/isn't worth buying now.

Traditional reviews can't adapt to updates being pushed, servers modified/shut, player count growing/decreasing, modding starting/stopping. There's no traditional review of a fallout/TES game that fully goes into the other dimension that is modding those games and the communities around them... which is the only reason many people ever bother buying them years after release.

Here's a decent vid about the topic:

And in news, a handy recap:

• Advertisement

Nah, user reviews are not a good thing at all. If it came out that someone who sweeps the floor at a studio said something "offensive" 15 years ago, a load of fools will mob the score giving it a 1 which is completely unfair and has nothing to do with how good the game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nah, user reviews are not a good thing at all. If it came out that someone who sweeps the floor at a studio said something "offensive" 15 years ago, a load of fools will mob the score giving it a 1 which is completely unfair and has nothing to do with how good the game is.

That wouldn't be a review, it would be trolls being trolls. I never bother with reviews from game journalists, as it been proven time and time again neither they nor the publications they write for can be trusted not to shill for game publishers.

Yeah but if you aggregate some reviews from the top sites you can be fairly sure whether a game is good or bad, splitting heirs between 9's and 10's is pointless. If it's at least 8, it's going to be fine.

Konami bringing out classic collections to celebrate it's 50th birthday:

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

Hoping to see rondo and SotN on steam and not just confined to PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

[HTML][/HTML]
    Konami bringing out classic collections to celebrate it's 50th birthday:

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

Hoping to see rondo and SotN on steam and not just confined to PlayStation.
    Jesus, do they hate Simon's Quest so much that they'd replace it with the second Gameboy entry instead? :o

I'll probably pickup the Contra collection by virtue of the inclusion of Contra 3 but it'd be neat if they included both Hard Corps games in the series too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Remake MGS3, ya bastards.

8 mediocre arcade games for 20 ****ing euro!

Miserable bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fcuk Konami...

gizmo wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]
    Jesus, do they hate Simon's Quest so much that they'd replace it with the second Gameboy entry instead? :o

I'll probably pickup the Contra collection by virtue of the inclusion of Contra 3 but it'd be neat if they included both Hard Corps games in the series too.

Belmont's Revenge on the Gameboy is absolute gold though, way better than Simon's Quest. It's fantastic.

As for Contra 3, I like it but the overhead stages are pants. Much prefer Hard corp and Shattered Soldier and hoping they make an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Belmont's Revenge on the Gameboy is absolute gold though, way better than Simon's Quest. It's fantastic.

As for Contra 3, I like it but the overhead stages are pants. Much prefer Hard corp and Shattered Soldier and hoping they make an appearance.
    I guess I just wish they had done a separate Gameboy series release and given us the correct chronological releases instead of going with the mix and match approach?

Contra-wise, I wasn't aware the Playstation releases were particularly strong. Are any of the other ones worth a shot?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement