Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Because it's over twenty years old and anyone that isn't a hermit knows that already

Ummmm no, anybody over the age of 30 would know, the majority of everybody younger wouldnt know much or anything at all of FF7. And i doubt its in their interest to only market towards people who have played the game to death as they likely wont buy it anyway :pac:

So to me, its strange that they are trying to herd in new players with such a poorly put together trailer :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Think it's better than showing off the jank of the old game and instead going on it's reputation.

I've bought the game a few times so old fogeys will buy it for nostalgia but new players will play it because of all the YouTubers saying it's the best game ever. Best not to show off early 3D jank and sub 15 fps graphics

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think it's better than showing off the jank of the old game and instead going on it's reputation.

I've bought the game a few times so old fogeys will buy it for nostalgia but new players will play it because of all the YouTubers saying it's the best game ever. Best not to show off early 3D jank and sub 15 fps graphics

Well the jank CGI isnt much better :D

But eh, if they wanted to go by the games name itself, they could have just made a 10 second clip of the FFVII logo along with the release date and switch logo. Boom, easy!

Or they could have just done it the nintendo way, using real footage of hired actors pretending to enjoy the game, have them only playing it in the switches handheld mode so we cant really see the dated jank graphics properly :pac:

• EA!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

EA!

You have to laugh a little. This is coming from a CEO who makes 19.9 million dollars a year before bonuses... That is a f**king disgrace. Putting people out of work and likely closing more studios while he makes ridiculous amounts of money for making bad decisions. A small % of his salary could easily pay the wages and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Blizzard and GoG have teamed up to re-release Warcraft I and Warcraft II via GoG Galaxy.

https://www.gog.com/game/warcraft_bundle

Blizzard has been working hard on capturing nostalgia lately, with the upcoming release of Warcraft Classic in the summer and a fully remastered Warcraft III due out in a few months too.

Absolutely started playing Warcraft I last night and was instantly hit with the nostalgia bomb from playing this as a kid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Another sign of the increase in digital games share: pre-owned games sales drop dramatically, by 30% over the course of the last year. It seems like the increase in digital sales is really cutting into the pre-owned market.

See here.

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony follow Microsoft into making a discless version of their console.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well as for 2nd hand games, Gamestop and cex would be the main sellers and both sell games second hand that can be bought cheaper brand new in stores like Argos and smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If next gen console games changed to a serial key and an install disk I'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Well as for 2nd hand games, Gamestop and cex would be the main sellers and both sell games second hand that can be bought cheaper brand new in stores like Argos and smyths.
    Aye, if you look down at the comments section in the Eurogamer article you can see some pretty horrendous pricing examples from the likes of GAME too.

I'd wager the rise in digital sales is the primary cause of the fall in the second-hand market but those prices sure as hell aren't going be helping matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was always a person who purchased physical copies, be they new or pre-owned. Never got into the digital side of things, simply because I usually traded in games when done. But I've noticed myself over the last 6 months alone, I'm buying a lot more digital. And simply because they digital sales are way better than anything you'll get in a store.

Also, doesn't help stores that a lot of games are digital only, or such a small indie dev that they can't afford a physical release. It will be digital only some day, but we need some strong legislation regarding digital ownership before this happens. And that will be hard, because of piracy. Dodgy area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I was always a person who purchased physical copies, be they new or pre-owned.
    I use to be the same...but I found after a while my ps3 and 4 stopped reading disks...so end up going digital.

EDIT: I have been digital for years on PC

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

Disc would still be my first choice due to pricing in argos etc. but I'd never look at second hand these days. Usually it's cheaper or the same to get it on sale and I don't mind not being able to trade it as I'd get feck all for it at that stage.

Also there is the fact that a lot of the stuff I pick up or have an interest in doesn't come on a disc.

Then factor in the mileage you can get from services like gamepass, gold, ps+ and ea access. I bet they have added to the decline in physical sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I really hope digital never becomes the standard, it would take me about 5 days to download a game if that happened and it would eat at least 25% of my monthly allowance...
    even as it is completely ridiculous, Destiny2 wants me to download 56gb before I can even fire it up for the first time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I try to buy physical copies of games and movies as often as possible these days.

It recently got into my head that should Steam or anything shut down one day, how would I access my games library? I can't download all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I try to buy physical copies of games and movies as often as possible these days.

It recently got into my head that should Steam or anything shut down one day, how would I access my games library? I can't download all of them.

You don't own anything on Steam my friend, you're just renting off them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Cordell

You don't own the game even if you buy a physical copy, technically speaking - you just get the right to use it, same right you get with Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I never used to buy digital but between moving somewhere with proper decent internet and Xtra-Vision/HMVs closing (meaning I'd have to go further out of my way to get to a Smyths/Argos/Gamestop), I almost completely buy digital now. I don't even keep a disc in the PS4 most of the time. It's more expensive in the long run between games usually being cheaper in Smyths and Argos, and then not being able to trade them in, but the convenience, pre-loading, pre-ordering... it's just the best way for me. Just have to remember to pick up PSN vouchers occasionally to keep the wallet topped up (don't want to link actual credit card to it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Penn wrote: »
    I never used to buy digital but between moving somewhere with proper decent internet and Xtra-Vision/HMVs closing (meaning I'd have to go further out of my way to get to a Smyths/Argos/Gamestop), I almost completely buy digital now. I don't even keep a disc in the PS4 most of the time. It's more expensive in the long run between games usually being cheaper in Smyths and Argos, and then not being able to trade them in, but the convenience, pre-loading, pre-ordering... it's just the best way for me. Just have to remember to pick up PSN vouchers occasionally to keep the wallet topped up (don't want to link actual credit card to it).

You can link a PayPal nowadays Penn, that way they don't have your info, but you can still buy without having to go and buy wallet cards :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So this week I bought Spider-Man on the PS4. I fired up the machine yesterday to start playing it and I was left staring at an installation screen for an hour. Surely the only fking reason to buy the physical media is so you can put it in the drive and play? I'm told by some people that buying the digital copy of a game installs it as it downloads like it does on a PC - is this the case? I have proper tubes (360 Mb from Virgin) so downloading isn't a problem and as luck would have it, due to some manner of sale on ATM, it would have been €2 cheaper to buy it brand new digitally :)

So what's the story here, does buying digital negate this frankly inexcusable wait?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Shiminay wrote: »
    So this week I bought Spider-Man on the PS4. I fired up the machine yesterday to start playing it and I was left staring at an installation screen for an hour. Surely the only fking reason to buy the physical media is so you can put it in the drive and play? I'm told by some people that buying the digital copy of a game installs it as it downloads like it does on a PC - is this the case? I have proper tubes (360 Mb from Virgin) so downloading isn't a problem and as luck would have it, due to some manner of sale on ATM, it would have been €2 cheaper to buy it brand new digitally :)

So what's the story here, does buying digital negate this frankly inexcusable wait?

It's still going to have to download a certain amount of it before you can start playing it. I remember I started playing Doom straight after it had done the mimimum amount of install necessary before you could start playing and there was no voice acting on it. Not that plot points are really that big a thing on Doom...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nothing will always hit it's max theoretical but if your internet is over 200Mb you comparable to the disk read speed on the PS4. Not to mention that while the digital store copy of the game might not be fully up to date and a very recent patch might be needed it's better than the RC gold 1.0 version on the disk.

Some disk games do install as they go and allow you to play before they're done but not all, guess it's just down to how the data is stored.

The thing with buying digital, at the games release, the game will always cost you more than buying it in the like of argos/smyths/amazon etc.

Most of the time anyway, but thats not the main reason i do it, its so if i finish the game quick and dont really see myself ever playing it again, you can sell it, and if you get it at release and finish it quick, you can get a good chunk of your money back. Heck you may even get more than what some stores sell it for, if you buy digital you have it forever, Which would be great if it would be accessible through future consoles, but it wont be, not with this generations games anyway.

But yeah i agree its bull**** that the installation isnt quicker with having a disc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The only problem with digital is you have no comeback. Getting a refund from Sony is next to impossible. I couldn't care less about having a bit of plastic.

Think of the environment :/

Odds are if you'd bought digital, latest update would have been included so would have just been a case of downloading & installing the game itself. Buying digital meant also having to install the game, then download updates (which considering how long the game has been out and the DLC they've added to it, they'd be hefty enough updates).

Both disc and digital though can have to download day one patches/updates.

The only problem with digital is you have no comeback. Getting a refund from Sony is next to impossible. I couldn't care less about having a bit of plastic.

Think of the environment :/

Sony have actually somewhat revised their refund rules for digital purchases, including allowing you to cancel pre-orders, and get refunds for digital games within 14 days of release provided you haven't downloaded it I think.

Still not great, but a small step in the right direction at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've gone digital awhile ago to hell with the expense. Can pre-download, play on release date, no longer have to open 50 boxes to find where I mistakenly put the disc, no scratched discs. It's certainly less hassle but not as cost effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Cordell

The only problem with digital is you have no comeback
    Steam offer refunds, and I did avail once for a game I did not like. Can you do this with physical game copies? Can you go to the store and ask for a refund on an open package?

And the real risk of losing games is actually with physical copies, damage the disc and your key is gone. This is much more likely to happen that Steam/Epic/Uplay/Origin/etc closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Penn wrote: »
    ...including allowing you to cancel pre-orders...

Wait a sec here. If you pre-purchased a game before release, only now since they revised their policy you can cancel them. Which means prior to the revision, you couldn't cancel a pre-order?! Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I've gone digital awhile ago to hell with the expense. Can pre-download, play on release date, no longer have to open 50 boxes to find where I mistakenly put the disc, no scratched discs. It's certainly less hassle but not as cost effective.

Its the instant switching that did it for me, being able to hop between games in an instant if you got an invite to play something else rather than getting up off the couch, finding discs etc. That and game sharing effectively making everything half price anyway, and further cheaper with out of region purchasing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement