Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wait a sec here. If you pre-purchased a game before release, only now since they revised their policy you can cancel them. Which means prior to the revision, you couldn't cancel a pre-order?! Really?

Actually, turns out that didn't apply to Europe. From what I gather you couldn't cancel a pre-order (because they take full payment when you do), except "where required by law", which basically meant you could cancel it in Europe, but not US, Asia etc.

I never tried to cancel a pre-order so wasn't sure what the rules were for that, but I do remember reading as part of the headline that you could now cancel pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus. Good thing I don't pre-order anymore. While it does look like we could cancel anyway, if I got any resistance to it I would have flew off on one! Imagine, not being able to cancel a digital pre-order! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jesus. Good thing I don't pre-order anymore. While it does look like we could cancel anyway, if I got any resistance to it I would have flew off on one! Imagine, not being able to cancel a digital pre-order! Madness.

From a thread I found on Reddit for US people asking/responding about cancelling pre-orders, many said that if you called Sony and asked, chances are they would cancel it, provided it was a one-time thing or you hadn't done it in a few years. Again I think it was just based off the fact you'd already paid in full, plus they do give a decent enough warning on the page when you are pre-ordering. But yeah, a completely unnecessary rule that was long overdue to be removed. Sony really do have a lot of areas they need to improve on when it comes to PSN purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

As said there were exceptions, I've preordered a good few games on PSN to get the beta without paying and then cancelled before I'd need to. Problem is a lot of new games have something included now that means it's charged at pre-order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    Sony have actually somewhat revised their refund rules for digital purchases, including allowing you to cancel pre-orders, and get refunds for digital games within 14 days of release provided you haven't downloaded it I think.

Still not great, but a small step in the right direction at least.

Actually has a shock horror good experience with Sony regarding this. Bought the metal slug collection downloaded it and played it only to realise it was a ps2 port and a 59hz pal port to boot. Tried my luck to get a refund based on it being a piece of ****e. They said I wasn't eligible for a refund but gave me one under good faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

GOG finally gets Hitman Blood Money
    https://gamesense.co/game/hitman-absolution/news/discuss/gog-releases-hitman-absolution-and-blood-money-with-a-hitman-sale/

Until GOG hooks into Valve's Proton or has something of similar quality, I don't think it's worth buying there and definitely not re-buying. Only things that have an open engine re-implementation like openMW do I have any real incentive to get things on GOG now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Red dead redemption two rumoured to be an epic exclusive announcement next month

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well if Take 2 (the publisher) are already doing deals to have Borderlands 3 an Epic exclusive, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the same for RDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattgardner1/2019/04/05/god-of-war-named-best-game-at-baftas-red-dead-redemption-2-gets-nothing/

Not huge news but the gaming BAFTA's were on this week and RDR2 didn't pick up a single award which is surprising but also telling as I feel some were let down by it, especially after the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

God of War cleaned up, including best game, audio and voice acting for The Stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Next Assassins Creed supposedly to be set during Viking Age teased in The Division 2

https://kotaku.com/odd-tease-in-the-division-2-spills-the-beans-on-the-nex-1833838193

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Next Assassins Creed supposedly to be set during Viking Age teased in The Division 2

https://kotaku.com/odd-tease-in-the-division-2-spills-the-beans-on-the-nex-1833838193

Well that sounds absolutely fantastic for an AC game. The naval combat alone should be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

martyos121 wrote: »
    Well that sounds absolutely fantastic for an AC game. The naval combat alone should be incredible.

Yupp that setting would suit them down to the ground, next gen assassinations and ship battles *should* be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

martyos121 wrote: »

Hopefully they lean more on the Norse Mythology like they did in Odyssey with Greek Myths and Monsters

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp that setting would suit them down to the ground, next gen assassinations and ship battles *should* be epic.

I just realised that naval warfare wasn’t as prominent in that era as weaponry and ships were very different, but I’m sure they’ll make it work somehow. If they can somehow capture the Skellige vibe from TW3 and build on that, it could be epic.

Hopefully they lean more on the Norse Mythology like they did in Odyssey with Greek Myths and Monsters

Norse mythology is so deep and well suited to gaming that they could even make a separate game or two based on it, if not a hefty DLC pack. I’ve always wanted a relatively accurate Viking game so I’m hyped for this, hope it’s confirmed soon.

God Damnit Ubisoft! When the hell are we going to get an AC in Japan!!! While I'd love another game like Odyssey set in Norse Mythology, give us Japan already! We have God of War for our Norse God fix!

Also, God of War, deserves every bit of praise and awards it gets. Like TLOU on PS3, I believe God of War on the PS4 is the game of this gen. Probably until TLOU2 comes out, but it would want to be excellent to knock GoW off the throne for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

God Damnit Ubisoft! When the hell are we going to get an AC in Japan!!! While I'd love another game like Odyssey set in Norse Mythology, give us Japan already! We have God of War for our Norse God fix!

Also, God of War, deserves every bit of praise and awards it gets. Like TLOU on PS3, I believe God of War on the PS4 is the game of this gen. Probably until TLOU2 comes out, but it would want to be excellent to knock GoW off the throne for me.

Ghost of Tsushima looks like it could be better than any AC game set in Japan.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Ghost of Tsushima looks like it could be better than any AC game set in Japan.

Very valid point! But I think GoT will be concentrating more on the realistic side of things. Whereas an AC in Japan would have the mythology, discovering that Amaterasu and Susanoo were the First Civilisation, fighting hte Yōkai. God I'd love it.

Actually, and I believe it was hinted at in GoW, Japan could be a fantastic location for Kratos to go mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattgardner1/2019/04/05/god-of-war-named-best-game-at-baftas-red-dead-redemption-2-gets-nothing/

Not huge news but the gaming BAFTA's were on this week and RDR2 didn't pick up a single award which is surprising but also telling as I feel some were let down by it, especially after the reviews.

Most disappointing game of the year for me. It's a beautifully crafted world that's pretty boring to play as a game.

I think the first one is still a much better game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Actually, and I believe it was hinted at in GoW, Japan could be a fantastic location for Kratos to go mental!

Will be awhile before Kratos leave's Norse myth lands, but yeah, i look forward to the Asian pantheon's :)

I'm done with AC i think, i get bored with them fast, the terrible voice acting story telling is never good enough to keep me churning through the combat that has barely changed since the first game.

I liked the additions they made to Odyssey, but i feel for me, they would need to make big changes instead of just adding sh!t before i return.

Unless they go to Asia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've always wanted to see something like God of War or Assassin's Creed set in Celtic Ireland. There's so much scope and directions they could take it in.

Great to see that we'll get a viking Assassin's Creed though. Hope they include the sailing aspect as we get to go on longboat raids and the rest.

nix wrote: »
    Will be awhile before Kratos leave's Norse myth lands, but yeah, i look forward to the Asian pantheon's :)

I'm done with AC i think, i get bored with them fast, the terrible voice acting story telling is never good enough to keep me churning through the combat that has barely changed since the first game.

I liked the additions they made to Odyssey, but i feel for me, they would need to make big changes instead of just adding sh!t before i return.

Unless they go to Asia :pac:

Oh I agree, a trilogy I believe is what we're getting with the current ones. But with Odyssey, I thought Ubi made a fantastic job of it. Best AC since Black Flag imo, totally changed the formula and I prefer this RPG style they're doing. Plus, as long as you picked Kassandra, the voice acting was amazing. She was even nominated in a few awards ceremonies for it.
    I've always wanted to see something like God of War or Assassin's Creed set in Celtic Ireland. There's so much scope and directions they could take it in.

It was hinted at in one of the scenes, shows a symbol relating to Greek, Egyptian, Japanese, Norse and Celtic mythology! I really hope that it wasn't just something to make us talk, but they're actually invested in the GoW franchise enough to make one for Celtic mythology. We have enough Gods for him to kill in fairness! It's mentioned in this article, but it references the Celtic Triskelion as 'British'...

But I also want to make my own game based on Celtic mythology, but my procrastination is getting in the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Oh I agree, a trilogy I believe is what we're getting with the current ones. But with Odyssey, I thought Ubi made a fantastic job of it. Best AC since Black Flag imo, totally changed the formula and I prefer this RPG style they're doing. Plus, as long as you picked Kassandra, the voice acting was amazing. She was even nominated in a few awards ceremonies for it.

It was hinted at in one of the scenes, shows a symbol relating to Greek, Egyptian, Japanese, Norse and Celtic mythology! I really hope that it wasn't just something to make us talk, but they're actually invested in the GoW franchise enough to make one for Celtic mythology. We have enough Gods for him to kill in fairness! It's mentioned in this article, but it references the Celtic Triskelion as 'British'...

But I also want to make my own game based on Celtic mythology, but my procrastination is getting in the way...

I did go with Kassandra, i didnt mind hers, it was pretty much everybody elses.. If Odyssey was the first AC game i played, i would have liked it a whole lot more I'm sure, but im just bored of their formula. The things they added, were just taken from other games, nothing new, nothing fresh.

And yeah ive no doubt they will hit those other pantheons in GOW, but without going into detail, they aint finished with the norse mytho, not by a long shot. Especially if they are gonna keep the son mechanic in the future games, alot of other unseen characters to make their mark also..
    Thor, Odin and then you have Freya who will likely be looking for revenge..

Perhaps they will mix pantheons? Might get messy that way though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://gematsu.com/2019/04/octopath-traveler-rated-for-pc-in-korea#xyPVOOlB1Bmboxq7.99

Good but never great JRPG Octopath Traveler has been rated for PC in Korea.
    Another one for the Epic Store perhaps :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://gematsu.com/2019/04/octopath-traveler-rated-for-pc-in-korea#xyPVOOlB1Bmboxq7.99

Good but never great JRPG Octopath Traveler has been rated for PC in Korea.
    Another one for the Epic Store perhaps :p

Ah no its almost a year old, nobody will buy it. Everyone knows PC gamers cant play single player games that have been out for over 365 days (or even 183)!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Most disappointing game of the year for me. It's a beautifully crafted world that's pretty boring to play as a game.

I think the first one is still a much better game.
    Was disappointed in it myself.

But I think a lot of my disappointment was down to having to play on console with the low framerate and clunky controls. It might be better on PC.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Shiminay wrote: »
    So this week I bought Spider-Man on the PS4. I fired up the machine yesterday to start playing it and I was left staring at an installation screen for an hour. Surely the only fking reason to buy the physical media is so you can put it in the drive and play? I'm told by some people that buying the digital copy of a game installs it as it downloads like it does on a PC - is this the case? I have proper tubes (360 Mb from Virgin) so downloading isn't a problem and as luck would have it, due to some manner of sale on ATM, it would have been €2 cheaper to buy it brand new digitally :)

So what's the story here, does buying digital negate this frankly inexcusable wait?
    Yes, on every platform except for PS4. PS4 download speeds are rubbish, the digital experience is just sub-par.

Bought Spiderman tonight, it's a ~60gb install. PS4 says it'll take over 3 hours. PC and Xbox would have a game of that size installed in ~30 mins.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I used to own a 360, the Microsoft download speeds were like dialup, so frankly, anything would be an improvement.

The whole console experience is such a fking ordeal, but Spider-Man and TLOU2 are the only reasons I got a PS4 and so far, gameplay wise, Spider-Man was absolutely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Maybe make a game using the 2000AD character Sláine as that story was pure brilliant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement