Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm hoping at least as longgood as Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
    :pac:
    I have big hopes for it and I am excited but I'm also worried my expectations are too high. I like CDPR, The Witcher franchise and GOG. CP2077 seems to be everything I've wanted from a modern open world game but their lies about TW3 (redkit & downgrade) makes me heavily doubt the legitimacy of any pre-release media from them. Releasing on PS4 will seriously change the adult themes, I fear.
    Gaming outlets' criticisms of the company makes me less worried though. Anything they go after usually turns out good.

Adapter to release for allowing PS4 controllers on switch
    http://operationrainfall.com/2019/05/19/ps4-switch-controller-adapter/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

:pac:
    I have big hopes for it and I am excited but I'm also worried my expectations are too high. I like CDPR, The Witcher franchise and GOG. CP2077 seems to be everything I've wanted from a modern open world game but their lies about TW3 (redkit & downgrade) makes me heavily doubt the legitimacy of any pre-release media from them. Releasing on PS4 will seriously change the adult themes, I fear.
    Gaming outlets' criticisms of the company makes me less worried though. Anything they go after usually turns out good.

Adapter to release for allowing PS4 controllers on switch
    http://operationrainfall.com/2019/05/19/ps4-switch-controller-adapter/

Doubt Sony will do anything for Cyberpunk, they don't have any written rules for a reason and so can be inconsistent. They did with DMC and that was reversed as someone higher up probably told them too, so no chance they'll want Cyberpunk coming out with any notch against it compared to the Xbox version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Disappointing. Hopefully there's something to the From Software rumour though.

And it appears there is - GRRM confirmed in his latest blog post that he has acted as a consultant on "a video game out of Japan".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A GoT Fromsoft game should be great. Almost every Dark Souls character I create is someone from GoT anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

J. Marston wrote: »
    A GoT Fromsoft game should be great. Almost every Dark Souls character I create is someone from GoT anyway.

They'd have to tone down the "difficulty" a lot. Otherwise you'd have so many people complaining that it's too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They'd have to tone down the "difficulty" a lot. Otherwise you'd have so many people complaining that it's too hard.

Would it not just reflect the true GoT experience that it's very hard to stay alive through multiple seasons :P

From Software has made more than just Soulsbourne games though. I'd imagine a GoT game would be very different.

Just put in difficulty sliders. Normal can be traditional Dark Souls, Hard can be NG+ and beyond and easy can be accessible for most.

Nevermind the "Git Gud" crowd. Game of Thrones is mainstream and it would be ridiculous to cater to the niche tastes of the "You cheated yourself" types in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Would it not just reflect the true GoT experience that it's very hard to stay alive through multiple seasons :P

From Software has made more than just Soulsbourne games though. I'd imagine a GoT game would be very different.

GOT would be great in the DS engine, From do a great job building an integrated world. I think it'd work very well to be honest and I'd definitely buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,776 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GOT would be great in the DS engine, From do a great job building an integrated world. I think it'd work very well to be honest and I'd definitely buy it.

Admittedly, I only played maybe half of Bloodborne, but considering how much you could possibly get out of the GOT licence in terms of lore, story and characters, would FS be a good fit for the licence? Because from what I did play of Bloodborne I couldn't tell you one thing about why or how anything was happening in the game. Nothing in terms of story stuck out or was well presented at all imo.

They do a fantastic job with combat, dodging etc. But there's no point having the rights to GOT if they give the story the justice it would deserve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Penn wrote: »
    Admittedly, I only played maybe half of Bloodborne, but considering how much you could possibly get out of the GOT licence in terms of lore, story and characters, would FS be a good fit for the licence? Because from what I did play of Bloodborne I couldn't tell you one thing about why or how anything was happening in the game. Nothing in terms of story stuck out or was well presented at all imo.

They do a fantastic job with combat, dodging etc. But there's no point having the rights to GOT if they give the story the justice it would deserve.

They do a fantastic job with their lore, it's far better written and just plain better than GoT.

The thing about From lore is you have to work to find it as it's hidden in environmental details and weapon descriptions. There's two layers to the game, being ignorant to the story and blindly going forth and killing everything or learning more about the world and being more informed about your actions. And the clever thing is both ways are crucial to the overall story.

Maybe they could do something similar to Demon's souls and Dark souls where the difficult to piece together story was integral to the storyline, as
    the player was being lied to the whole time
    . The only other game I've seen do something similar is Valkyrie Profile.

As long as they avoid boring AF info bomb codex like in Bioware games and FF13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    GRID is coming back!

Sweet. I loved the first one, didn't fall in love with a racing game since GT2 back in the day, but this hooked me from the get go and didn't leave go. Second one wasn't as good, I think they changed the feel of the driving, and while I did still finish it, it wasn't as good imo.

Hope they make it as good as the first one. Been looking for a good racing game that doesn't require the purchase of another console (Forza).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There really hasn't been a good racing game on the PS in years. I know this is a matter of opinion but this is a case where the other opinions are wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Is it confirmed that GRRM and FS are definitely working on a GOT game and not something new? I accept that a GOT licensed game is the most likely thing given the market they can tap into, but could it not be a new IP with a new world and lore crafted by GRRM?

I’ve seen no mention of HBO in these rumours yet and I can’t imagine it would go ahead without their approval and input.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There really hasn't been a good racing game on the PS in years. I know this is a matter of opinion but this is a case where the other opinions are wrong. :)

On PC and Xbox Forza and Forza Horizon have pseudo sim and arcade racer covered and do it far, far better than anything Sony has. If you have a PC they are worth messing with and run lovely on a decent system.
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that GRRM and FS are definitely working on a GOT game and not something new? I accept that a GOT licensed game is the most likely thing given the market they can tap into, but could it not be a new IP with a new world and lore crafted by GRRM?

I’ve seen no mention of HBO in these rumours yet and I can’t imagine it would go ahead without their approval and input.

It's just rumours at the moment but what JRRM has confirmed is he is working with a Japanese company on a game. Also HBO can be bypassed by licensing the books.

Could be word about it at E3 and MS were hinting at a GoT announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,970 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

gimli2112 wrote: »

GT Sport is a decent game. New content is always added.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

martyos121 wrote: »

I thought the whole story was conjecture based on him saying he "consulted on a video game in japan" in a blog post today.

We already have Final Fantasy Tactics anyway which is as close as you can get to Game of Thrones and does the whole War of the Roses thing way,way better :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's just rumours at the moment but what JRRM has confirmed is he is working with a Japanese company on a game. Also HBO can be bypassed by licensing the books.

Could be word about it at E3 and MS were hinting at a GoT announcement.

Yeah I think it’s much more likely it’ll be licensed purely by the books, ASOIAF game rather than a GOT one, and it’d be the absolute best thing for it as they wouldn’t be hamstrung by HBO or staying entirely true to the show, even if they can’t use the voices and likenesses.

Never did have the patience to finish a FS title before, but I can’t imagine I’ll give up so easily if this one ever comes to fruition. Given that it’s a relatively fresh bit of news about this collaboration, it should be at the very least a couple of years away though.

I just hope they don't go with a Musou game for it. Yuck.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    so no chance they'll want Cyberpunk coming out with any notch against it compared to the Xbox version.
    You assume that CDPR won't just change sexual themes on all platforms. Global censorship because of one country/platform's censorship it is the norm not the exception. Not terribly worried about it for CP2077 but there's still that chance which is why I don't buy anything on launch anymore.

MC are no better though in news with censoring music lyrics.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/20/song-lyrics-censored-in-forza-horizon-4/

Sony staff were surprised by the MC cooperation news.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/21/sony-japans-cloud-deal-with-microsoft-was-a-shock-to-playstation-staff/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

MC are no better though in news with censoring music lyrics.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/20/song-lyrics-censored-in-forza-horizon-4/

It literally says it's changed due to ESRB requirements. Forza 4 is rated E for Everyone. Do you send off an angry letter to Today FM when they redact certain words from songs there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

So you can't let a child hear the word "high", but it's perfectly acceptable to let them participate in illegal underground road races.

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought the whole story was conjecture based on him saying he "consulted on a video game in japan" in a blog post today.

The rumour that he was working with From was floating about last month, before he said anything. He only confirmed he's been consulting on a video game, so it may not be with From after all.

There's also a rumour going around that it's an entirely new IP, with nothing to do with Westeros. That would be disappointing.

@Sonics2k
    Radio fans can worry about that because I don't listen to it.

In news and still in the same topic:

MC has caught the "gamers are evil" bug. "Hate speech" was used to justify whatever malarkey they're cooking up.
    1 2

Pretty sure XBOX & Microsoft platforms have had mute features for the longest time. Don't they also have a reputation system? I don't think it was very successful at doing anything. All I remember was my sister getting mad when players would give her bad feedback when she kicked their asses in DOA.

Warframe to get another graphics update
    https://techraptor.net/content/warframe-developers-announce-another-graphic-overhaul-with-the-jovian-concord
    Hope it doesn't break my proton installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So you can't let a child hear the word "high", but it's perfectly acceptable to let them participate in illegal underground road races.

Cool

Did I say I agree with it?

I'm just highlighting they're following ESRB guidelines so it's not Microsoft censorship. It's literally fake news.

Anyone read VG247? Didn't think so but the deputy editor is going on a fascist rant about capitalism and supporting violence. The absolute state of game journalism.
    https://twitter.com/MckKirk/status/1130459619522953217 archive

JUDGE EYES finally recovering from the drug scandal
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/21/sega-to-resume-selling-judgment-in-japan-on-july-18/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The absolute state of game journalism.

Thank god TheQuartering is doing god’s work by... *checks*... making an 11 minute video about a tweet.

Nothing says good journalism like taking tweets out of context.

• Advertisement

Thank god TheQuartering is doing god’s work by... *checks*... making an 11 minute video about a tweet.

Gotta waffle on just past 10 minutes for the ad revenue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement