Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote: »
    Gotta waffle on just past 10 minutes for the ad revenue.

Moaning = Moneyz for YouTube.
    Its more bitching about things you don't have any real passion for than it is journalism.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You don't debate fascists and you always punch nazis. Those are the rules. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You assume that CDPR won't just change sexual themes on all platforms. Global censorship because of one country/platform's censorship it is the norm not the exception. Not terribly worried about it for CP2077 but there's still that chance which is why I don't buy anything on launch anymore.

MC are no better though in news with censoring music lyrics.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/20/song-lyrics-censored-in-forza-horizon-4/

Sony staff were surprised by the MC cooperation news.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/21/sony-japans-cloud-deal-with-microsoft-was-a-shock-to-playstation-staff/

From what's been said there's no rules, devs just submit and then get told to change something. if they had rules in place companies might complain but they'd take the path of least resistance.

If they had an idea what was wanted before hand they may have done it but they don't seem to so I think so.

They have 2 RC and one passes cert they aren't going to go change something and then have both recerted especially when they are charged, what could happen is that as MS don't charge for patch cert they could have a day one patch that does it but that would be unpopular.

Shiminay wrote: »
    You don't debate fascists and you always punch nazis. Those are the rules. :D

And then said fascists stand there and take it and never consider retaliating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm not going to start getting into shítty debates.
    But I am going to laugh at this picture.
    A lot.

6qQ2kDc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Thank god TheQuartering is doing god’s work by... *checks*... making an 11 minute video about a tweet.

I love the Quatering videos. Great craic to watch.

I like them even more now that I know they annoy people on this thread :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Remember when games journalism was about reviewing games and finding out tiny bits of information about what may possibly be something cool coming out soon?

Not it's just this absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It just gets extraordinarily tiresome. I honestly don't care about a tweet from someone trying to be woke and then the outrage that follows it. The review bombing of movies and games because someone said something dense that upset a load of angry geeks is getting fúcking ridiculous. Nothing can be taken on its own merits now without being filtered through all that nonsense and if you have an interest in pop culture, it's pretty much inescapable online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Germany’s Constantin Film has acquired movie rights to the “Just Cause” video game franchise and hired “John Wick” creator Derek Kolstad to write the script.

Constantin Film’s Robert Kulzer and Prime Universe Films’ Adrian Askarieh will produce the pic with Kolstad, who has written the three “John Wick” movies.

Constantin also made the popular Resident Evil series starring Milla Jovovich and is also behind the upcoming Monster Hunter movie that also stars Milla Jovovich.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,845 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Constantin also made the popular Resident Evil series starring Milla Jovovich

tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    tumblr_ly5e24bRcD1r3y4i3.gif

Yeah, those films are 50 shades of shíte with each one worse than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Varik wrote: »
    From what's been said there's no rules
    That's the problem it's chaos. Creators don't know what to be working around. Big tech companies do this all the time with ambiguous rules that can be bent any which way to censor whatever they feel like. This is single-handedly leading to the disruption (and destruction according to the artists) of Japan's niche sexy games on Sony's platforms because that's what they're currently using its ambiguity to target. Valve is also doing this although they've actually defined one or two rules and gone after things that didn't break those rules anyway and left alone other games that have clearly broken them. :rolleyes:

I don't care what companies think I shouldn't see while they're making money off selling MK where you can watch someone rip out a human's brain and eat it. Any moral argument for censorship is worthless from them.
    I like them even more now that I know they annoy people on this thread tongue.png
    I got a mod warning last time I said that.

In news

EG once again being massive screw ups by sending GDPR data to the wrong individual.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/22/epic-games-allegedly-sent-gdrp-personal-info-to-wrong-person/

Steam chat gets an independent app
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/22/steam-chat-smartphone-app-released/
    I'm not really sure why this isn't just an update to their main app.

Old game censored because of huffington post.
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/05/huffington-post-pressures-sniper-3d-assassin-dev-into-censoring-level-involving-killing-journalist/84704/

Valve being hypocrites about 'review bombing'
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/05/valve-wont-be-removing-positive-review-bombs-for-assassins-creed-unity/84698/
    It only counts when it could make people NOT spend money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I love the Quatering videos. Great craic to watch.

I like them even more now that I know they annoy people on this thread tongue.png

The guy sure does get enough scoops and insider info but I really wish he would script his content or even pre-read the articles beforehand, as it's painful hearing him misread stuff so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well that's just ridiculous. Are they going to demand the removal of the 'Snail Trail' mission in GTA: SA too? Because you kill a journalist in that too... Would make sense, considering that Sniper game came out in 2014, and SA came out in 2004, shur what's another 10 years!

Worse is the dev for pulling it tbh. I can see why, but it's ridiculous to remove it 5 years later, and why only now are they starting to target these games? Madness and more PC/SJW crap. Target things that actually matter for once.
    It's ridiculous

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is a new one... a weird, boutique indie Gameboy-like micro-console being released next year. Black and white screen and a crank controller (plus some more familiar inputs). Comes with a ‘season’ of games from some neat developers like Katamari’s Keita Takahashi and Bennett Foddy. Weekly ‘surprise’ games released for a few months.

https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1131307589587701760?s=21

I kinda love the concept of it - oddball hardware with a bunch of interesting experimental games. One big disclaimer: It’s pricey - $149, so will have to see what that turns out to be Euro wise before considering it. Could (will?) easily just turn out to be a quirky novelty thing. Still very curious about it so will see how it plays out given some of the people involved.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/5/22/18628360/playdate-panic-teenage-engineering-qwop-katamari

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Looks like a pain to hold tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Since TheQuatering came up earlier, the plot thickens
    https://youtu.be/P5m6lBjWGyQ
    Seems Eurogamer (infamous for Doritosgate) are after him now. Their buddies are willing to abuse youtube's flawed striking system although this is coming from the same outlet (VG247, not Eurogamer) whose deputy editor is an outspoken anti-capitalist fascist who supports violence so I guess this is tame for them? And FYI for those out of the loop with this, TheQuatering has been physically assaulted by these types of freaks before and won in court (link).

Another censored game
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/05/yu-no-will-be-censored-on-switch-ps4-in-west-steam-version-will-be-uncensored/84771/
    PC versions apparently remains censor free.

Metro Exodus sold most on console
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/22/metro-exodus-is-the-biggest-hit-for-thq-nordic-but-absolute-majority-of-sales-were-on-consoles/
    I own 1 & 2 Redux and even a 2033 classic on steam & gog but Exodus went right over me because of the bait and switch with EG. Even if it releases on steam I think I'll skip it or play a friend's copy if any of em' ever get it.

Console version out sell PC for most games, and usually by a lot. Considering they've not given numbers of comparisons to previous year PC release you can't tell much from that. Metro wasn't the biggest mainstream title but there was a huge push here.

It's had to put that on the Epic, when we've no idea what the sales were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's actually very easy to put that on Epic.

It's a new store with a low take up. Lots of people are willing to wait on the steam release as well. I'd say the epic store exclusivity severely affected sales. But then again maybe the Epic moneyhatting to the publisher covered that.

Metro has traditionally performed really well on PC, particularly as it's very popular in PC strongholds like Russian and Eastern European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's actually very easy to put that on Epic.

It's a new store with a low take up.

Everyone who has played Fortnite can access it so I would not agree that it has a low uptake of active users. Pretty sure it sold significantly more on PC than Last Light did in the same time too.

This is a new one... a weird, boutique indie Gameboy-like micro-console being released next year. Black and white screen and a crank controller (plus some more familiar inputs). Comes with a ‘season’ of games from some neat developers like Katamari’s Keita Takahashi and Bennett Foddy. Weekly ‘surprise’ games released for a few months.

https://twitter.com/playdate/status/1131307589587701760?s=21

I kinda love the concept of it - oddball hardware with a bunch of interesting experimental games. One big disclaimer: It’s pricey - $149, so will have to see what that turns out to be Euro wise before considering it. Could (will?) easily just turn out to be a quirky novelty thing. Still very curious about it so will see how it plays out given some of the people involved.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/5/22/18628360/playdate-panic-teenage-engineering-qwop-katamari

That is the most hipster games console ever invented. A fúcking crank control?!?! My arse...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    Everyone who has played Fortnite can access it so I would not agree that it has a low uptake of active users. Pretty sure it sold significantly more on PC than Last Light did in the same time too.

I don't think there's a cross over between people that use the client for free and people that are using the epic store to purchase games.

I for one won't use the Epic store as my account has already been hacked and it's not established, there's been enough PC game stores that have failed and users have lost their libraries. Epic's 12% margin is unsustainable as it is and if they can't get the store to a good profitable level I'm nervous that it will be shut down.

So there's plenty of reasons not to use the Epic store but to play a free game on it.

That is the most hipster games console ever invented. A fúcking crank control?!?! My arse...

Think it looks a lot of fun to me. If they get good devs on board I'd say it's worth an investment even if we only see one season of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I’m critical of several of the practices Epic has deployed, there’s still some good reasons to use their store. Outer Wilds is a game I’ve been looking forward to for years. It’s released next week, and I picked up a copy for €10.99... from which the developer/publisher gets €18.50. I mean, that’s what I call a pretty ****ing good deal for a game I was going to buy regardless.

While I’m critical of several of the practices Epic has deployed, there’s still some good reasons to use their store. Outer Wilds is a game I’ve been looking forward to for years. It’s released next week, and I picked up a copy for €10.99... from which the developer/publisher gets €18.50. I mean, that’s what I call a pretty ****ing good deal for a game I was going to buy regardless.

The sustainability of that model is not convincing :) Are epic taking a loss on it or are they adjusting the amount the publisher receives based on sale price?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,920 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The sustainability of that model is not convincing :) Are epic taking a loss on it or are they adjusting the amount the publisher receives based on sale price?

It was down to their sale that went a bit badly wrong on them, isn't it?

Think Epic said they would honor the prices paid during the sales, without the dev being punished over it (i'm not sure if there were mistakes or problems or what the actual issue was with the sales)

I have no doubt whatsoever it is not sustainable :pac: The Fortnite money won’t last forever. But a great deal right now is still a great deal, especially so when the only people taking a hit are the multi-billion euro corporation.

Epic is the one taking a loss - they say “providing an additional $10 off... at no cost to the publisher or developer“. If they want to just throw money away, I’ll take advantage of that. The sale has been a holy mess for reasons well documented, but with the dust settled there’s still some silly bargains to be had.

https://twitter.com/mikebithell/status/1129047708453486592?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sooooo in actual news related directly to gaming, rather than nonsense "drama".

GoG have released a massive update for the 2.0 version.

GOG GALAXY 2.0. ALL YOUR GAMES AND FRIENDS IN ONE PLACE.
    Once you connect GOG GALAXY 2.0 with other platforms, it will import all your games into one library. You will see your friends activities and online status across connected platforms. All new library and friends features apply to your GOG.COM games and enhance your experience. And it’s designed to protect your privacy – your data belongs to you and will never be shared with third parties. We see it as an all-in-one solution for the present-day gamer.

Privacy
    Your personal data will never be shared with third parties.

We’re not spying on data from your computer.

With a single click, you can remove imported games and friends data from our servers.

Year's ago, and even now, there was some Third Party options to do this, but security and sustainability was always a concern. Great to see GoG doing this.

• Advertisement

Sims 4 free with Origin until 28 May for anyone interested.

https://www.techradar.com/news/get-the-sims-4-free-today-on-pc-with-ea-origin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement