Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"The WHO says that in order for a person to be diagnosed with video game addiction, their behaviour must be "of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning"."

Seems like a fair assessment, and I daresay if you look at the big book of mental disorders (there actually is one) you'll find a lot of addictions pertaining to hobbies or vices. About time 'gaming' be recognised as having a potential for a deleterious effect on someone's health.

I would wonder if this might be a thin end of the wedge relating to the issue of lootboxes; a political campaign is one thing, but if medical professions are now saying gaming addiction is a real concept, it's surely not that large a step to draw a line between lootboxes and a manifestation of gaming addiction. This could yet prove to be a much bigger development in the continuing discussion on gambling mechanics in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I love the Quatering videos. Great craic to watch.

I like them even more now that I know they annoy people on this thread :P

I genuinely feel sorry for you. I'm not even joking. I actually got a bit bummed out when I read that and I thought about what that must be like to think and feel like that. PM me if you need a chat x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I genuinely feel sorry for you. I'm not even joking. I actually got a bit bummed out when I read that and I thought about what that must be like to think and feel like that. PM me if you need a chat x

It's a common enough thing online but it really smacks of immaturity. Tbf, that poster has form constantly trolling the Playstation forum. You'd kind of hope they're still a teenager but they've been posting here for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

SomeSayKos wrote: »

U ok hun xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Cordell

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Gaming to be blamed on climate change also

It was blamed for pretty much everything else anyway, so what's new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

pixelburp wrote: »
    "The WHO says that in order for a person to be diagnosed with video game addiction, their behaviour must be "of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational.

Not sure why we're asking Roger Daltrey to chime in in it.

Not sure why we're asking Roger Daltrey to chime in in it.

Because he sure plays a mean pinball... obviously.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Because he sure plays a mean pinball... obviously.

Something something loot boxes something teenage wasteland.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Something something loot boxes something teenage wasteland.

Ah, the kids are alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Cordell wrote: »
    It was blamed for pretty much everything else anyway, so what's new.

Was reading a story in the DM today about a particularly brutal murder in the Ukraine. The murderer was a 14 year old tycoon's son. There was a pic in the paper of him holding a kalishnikov. He killed a friend allegedly over a computer game argument and got three years. There's outcry over the sentence. The article finished.

"It wasn't disclosed what videogame the teenagers were playing"

because that's the important piece

• Advertisement

It may be. It was proven that FPS can turn a mediocre school shooter into a highly effective one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It may be. It was proven that FPS can turn a mediocre school shooter into a highly effective one.

Are you for real?

What he was playing is what you think is of import over, How he got the weapon? Why he was dumb/selfish enough to kill someone over a game? :confused:

Pointing and clicking a mouse or wiggling your thumb on an analogue stick will not prepare you for locking and loading an assault rifle and shooting effectively.. Practicing with the weapon itself will :rolleyes:

You might learn some form of tactic or weapon knowledge from a game, but the same can be said with a movie/documentary/INTERNET..

Man...reflexes and quick decision making skills can be improved by gaming, especially the fast paced shooter kind - that was all I was saying. I never implied that videogames can turn you into a killer.
    That and a bit of sarcasm directed at people blaming videogames

• Registered Users Posts: 28,103 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I thought you meant more Frames Per Second can turn a mediocre school shooter into a highly effective one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

gimli2112 wrote: »
    "It wasn't disclosed what videogame the teenagers were playing"

Probably Overcooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw this article and said 'Aw ****, here we go again' and then saw the first comment underneath.

https://twitter.com/thefateofyomuva/status/1133433622575427585?s=19

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I thought you meant more Frames Per Second can turn a mediocre school shooter into a highly effective one :pac:

No, not more, less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So the years of gamer hating articles from progressive game journalist/activists making fun of basement/no lifer gamers were actually attacks on mentally disabled people all this time that they constantly pretend to give a shyte about. Fecking classic.

Can't wait to claim that disability benefit for playing 2K hours of Warframe. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

One of the best episodes of the IT Crowd and on a slightly related note, the Rockstar exec accused of groping the Dev sounded like an even crazier version of young Reynholm.

Randy "crying like a gamergater" Pitchford apparently shared animal cruelty video on twitter https://matzavreview.com/2019/05/27/gearbox-ceo-accused-of-sharing-animal-cruelty-on-twitter/ Remember to preorder Borderlands 3 on Epic Games store.

I can't find the actual content shared anymore but that's probably for the best. :( I love cats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the years of gamer hating articles from progressive game journalist/activists making fun of basement/no lifer gamers were actually attacks on mentally disabled people all this time that they constantly pretend to give a shyte about. Fecking classic.

That's precisely not what the WHO decision is about :rolleyes: Addiction is not being "mentally disabled", maybe you at least read a little into it before spinning it off into some screed on 'dem liberals you obsess over. It's a glib insult to anyone who does suffer from addiction problems, whatever form that might take. Game addiction has been a hot topic for years now, and became more pertinent with the increasing presence of lootboxes, microtransactions and other gambling-adjacent features. This WAS always coming.

A person with addiction issues and/or anxiety/depression isn't mentally disabled. Jesus...

That's precisely not what the WHO decision is about :rolleyes: Addiction is not being "mentally disabled", maybe you at least read a little into it before spinning it off into some screed on 'dem liberals you obsess over. It's a glib insult to anyone who does suffer from addiction problems, whatever form that might take. Game addiction has been a hot topic for years now, and became more pertinent with the increasing presence of lootboxes, microtransactions and other gambling-adjacent features. This WAS always coming.
    It was a fecking joke m8. :rolleyes: Did you actually think I thought you could claim benefits from showing gametime? Jesus.
    A person with addiction issues and/or anxiety/depression isn't mentally disabled. Jesus...
    And anyone who read that post as serious might be.

Sizable update for Kingdom Come
    https://techraptor.net/content/warhorse-studios-releases-massive-patch-for-kingdom-come-deliverance

It was a fecking joke m8. :rolleyes: Did you actually think I thought you could claim benefits from showing gametime? Jesus.

More that you seemed to think addiction was being mentally disabled, and that ... games journalists ... hate gamers who live in basements... which is the joke? Yeah. I don't get it.

Game addiction officially recognised is great news though. Hopefully addicts get the help they need and the industry gets its ass kicked for operating gambling mechanics without oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Hopefully addicts get the help they need and the industry gets its ass kicked for operating gambling mechanics without oversight.

I doubt the 2 are linked but good to see it being acknowledged.

More that you seemed to think addiction was being mentally disabled an excuse to post IT crowd disabled clip and shyte on game journos
    You don't have to find it funny. Big difference between taking it seriously though.
    the industry gets its ass kicked for operating gambling mechanics without oversight.
    Absolutely. Less gambling and skinner box design is a win for the consumers but I wonder if it'll actually play out like that. It's possible all this will do is make parents more irrationally afraid of games and blame yet even more of the world's problems on it.
    I hope it's a net positive, though.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I doubt the 2 are linked but good to see it being acknowledged.

I can see scenarios where the questions are asked: if Game Addiction is now a legitimate, recognised disorder, game studios could yet be challenged over whether (deliberate?) content in their games could act as triggers or enablers to that addiction. The hot topic of loot-boxes already finds itself addiction-adjacent through accusations of enabling gambling tendencies, so while medically they may be different kettles of fish, it could make things more uncomfortable for studios with more openly predatory behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

randy pitchford at it again -
    Basically being himself but posting animal abuse video while doing it..

• Something loose inside that lads head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

You don't have to find it funny. Big difference between taking it seriously though.

It wasn't funny, just mind numbingly tedious

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement