Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Cormac... wrote: »
    Re-release 2 you say? Well why don't we just pi$$ over ALL my childhood :mad:
    Series jumped the shark with THUG 1, THUG 2 and the one after it were awful.

Project 8 was great IMO, I'd love another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

maximoose wrote: »
    Project 8 was great IMO, I'd love another one!

THUG 2 burned me too much to ever return..... All the Jacka$$ and Bam Margera references were so lame and hackneyed even by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fallen at the 1st hurdle cracked. So sick of this

Probably snappier than them saying 'How the sociopathic tendencies of some gaming addicts are ruining people's perceptions of gamers and gaming.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Fallen at the 1st hurdle cracked. So sick of this

Seems like Cracked have been getting worse with these clickbait titles. That or I just wasn't so cynical when I started reading the site about 5 years ago. I do still like their podcast but the articles seem very hit and miss lately. Also, I notice it's by JF Sargent who was one of the ones who went around insta-banning anyone that took the wrong side on Gamer Gate back when that was getting started last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Cracked was clickbait before clickbait was a thing! They were all about the hyperbolic lists... Although they also had a sense of humour and irreverency that isn't as pronounced these days.

• Advertisement

36 Reasons why the Length of Sonics legs in recent Video games is Promoting Masochism in the Indie Games Industry

36 Reasons why the Length of Sonics legs in recent Video games is Promoting Masochism in the Indie Games Industry

29 Reasons Why People Get Uptight about Gaming Articles on Cracked.

29 Reasons Why People Get Uptight about Gaming Articles on Cracked Most gaming websites

FYP :P

Also and I'm going to be lemblasted for this, but that Guardian list had far too much indie stuff on it. Not crap games/concepts mind you. But it seems strange they include the Talos Principle but not Portal, Flower but not Journey, Animal Crossing but not the Sims.

I'm trying to look at it genre/machine agnostically but there's some of those choices I'd say could be safely substituted by other entries.

On the positive side at least it wasn't just the usual "here's 20 decent AAA games from the last 5 years" with some obligatory stuff about "Every player who played Bioshock will tell you that it's not something you can put into words easily" and "We could write 100 pages about why Half Life 2 is so great, but you'll have to just trust us, and everyone else on the internets opinion, that you need to play it" yuk-yuk-yuk-yuk-hur-hur

FYP :P

Also and I'm going to be lemblasted for this, but that Guardian list had far too much indie stuff on it. Not crap games/concepts mind you. But it seems strange they include the Talos Principle but not Portal, Flower but not Journey, Animal Crossing but not the Sims.

I'm trying to look at it genre/machine agnostically but there's some of those choices I'd say could be safely substituted by other entries.

On the positive side at least it wasn't just the usual "here's 20 decent AAA games from the last 5 years" with some obligatory stuff about "Every player who played Bioshock will tell you that it's not something you can put into words easily" and "We could write 100 pages about why Half Life 2 is so great, but you'll have to just trust us, and everyone else on the internets opinion, that you need to play it" yuk-yuk-yuk-yuk-hur-hur

I'm presuming they were keeping the games as current gen as possible so in that regard Flower would win out over Journey as the latter is only on PS3 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't enjoy Flower at all, so much so I couldn't care less about journey (thankfully I took a chance there). I liked Flowers aesthetic, and atmosphere and what it did as a game and the whole environmental thing was hackneyed but I was ok with that. However I found the motion controls absolutely terrible. I felt I was fighting the controls the whole time and for a game that was suppsoedly relaxing the controls only infuriated me.

So yeah Journey is a strong contender for game of the generation with Dark Souls. Flower was a failed experiment which fell badly at the gameplay part.

Jaysus Sony ruined a fair few early PS3 games with that six axis nonsense.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jaysus Sony ruined a fair few early PS3 games with that six axis nonsense.

I actually struggle to remember many titles aside from Flower, Heavenly Sword and I think Little Big Planet 1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I actually struggle to remember many titles aside from Flower, Heavenly Sword and I think Little Big Planet 1

Killzone 2 with setting explosive charges. Heavy Rain QTEs come to mind.:mad:

I tried playing Heavenly Sword recently. Christ almighty, I must have looked like I had cerebral palsy to anyone watching me play it. A total pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Lair.

It's a god damn tragedy that it was Factor 5's last released title. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Sony really had to push motion controls, they'd that bs reason why the sixaxis didn't have rumble to counter.

Be hard to say we remove rumble to add a feature we're not using.

Infamous Second Son spray paint sections were nice other than that not much point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah they took out rumble because of the lawsuit with the patent holder but painted it another way saying that rumble interferred with the technology... except they had an analogue dual stick controller on the PS1 (might be PS2) with rumble that had the same six axis motion tech in it.

Anyone not remember how utterly useless grenades were in Uncharted because of the six axis aiming?

Honestly having done my time with the Wii I had no problem with the 6 axis controls, if anything I found them to be a break from the norm even if they were a bit gimmicky. I liked the Bow and Arrow in Heavenly Sword :)

I remember there was some sort of game about flying dragons that got a lot of hype but when the reviews came in they weren't good and blamed a lot of it on Sixaxis controls. I think Motorstorm used it too. Sixaxis was really terrible though, I'm glad they eventually learned to leave it alone for the most part.

C14N wrote: »
    I remember there was some sort of game about flying dragons that got a lot of hype but when the reviews came in they weren't good and blamed a lot of it on Sixaxis controls. I think Motorstorm used it too. Sixaxis was really terrible though, I'm glad they eventually learned to leave it alone for the most part.
    That'd be Lair all right. It held so much promise before release and then....ugh.

Maybe Sony might give the whole dragon concept a go again and give us a next gen Drakan some day. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah they took out rumble because of the lawsuit with the patent holder but painted it another way saying that rumble interferred with the technology... except they had an analogue dual stick controller on the PS1 (might be PS2) with rumble that had the same six axis motion tech in it.

Anyone not remember how utterly useless grenades were in Uncharted because of the six axis aiming?

That was the game that jumped the shark in terms of useless motion sensing nonsense on the PS3.
    A perfectly good grenade button press option replaced with that stupid blasted sixaxis bull, not to mention jamming it in there when crossing narrow paths.
    Utter balls.
    Forgotten and replaced in the sequel.
    Needlessly reanimated for the Vita edition of Uncharted, along with equally stupid screen and rear touch pad scratching efforts.
    It was like Nintendo were determining the pace on the Wii and DS while Sony were pointlessly taking all the wrong lessons and forcing them into games that would have been even better without them.
    Microsoft must have been laughing like drains, all the way up to jamming a rusty nail in their scrote with the madness of the Kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Did ye hear about Telltale's new IP? They are teaming up with Lionsgate to produce a 'Super Show'. 1 episode will be an interactive game, the next episode will be a tv show continuing the game part. Very interested to see how it works.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/25/telltales-new-ip-will-be-a-super-show-bridges-the-gap-between-tv-and-game/
    “Each Super Show episode [the interactive game and the scripted episode] will be released as a package designed so that you can consume the interactive portion or watch the scripted show portion in any order you’d like.

“For instance, if you play the interactive episode first, certain elements of the scripted episode portion will be tailored to reflect some choices made in your interactive play through. If you watch the show before playing, some elements in the interactive portions may be presented differently than if you played first.

Sweet, even less choice in a Telltale games game

I kind of wish Telltale would make a game that was just a standalone story. Episodic content is kind of cool but when you have to make choices, that means that all paths inevitably end up converging at the start/end point of each episode to some extent. If a game was just self-contained 2 or 3 hour story or maybe do a season in an anthology format, I think it would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

No One Lives Forever re-release isn't happening after all.

Bah. I was genuinely excited for this. Hopefully it will happen one day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I just don't get the hype with Telltale anymore.

Didn't know about the plans to re-release NOLF until yesterday. Now I'm sad I cant get something I didn't know I wanted. I remember back in the day before widespread internet use I picked up NOLF GOTY in an oul bargain bucket and thought it was gonna be some ****ty joke of a game. Absolutely blown away. Wasn't until recently I realised it was a critically acclaimed game. (12 year old me clearly had no idea of the concept of what GAME OF THE YEAR meant) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Microsoft not to charge for online gaming requiring XBox live account

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/573285677149888514

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bloody right they won't be charging for it. No chance in hell i'd pay a subscription fee for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I know but it's funny looking at the peasants moaning :D

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    yeah I know but it's funny looking at the peasants moaning :D
    Surely it'd be PC users who would be moaning at the possibility of having to pay? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement